Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caitlyn Jenner

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I wonder will be eventually head towards gender-less sports, instead it will be weight / muscle or speed class.

Even at the same weight, a male would have an advantage over a female in pretty much every physical sport. The way it is now (segregated by biological sex) has allowed women to compete on a level playing field and achieve success in their own right and it should stay that way.

It is certainly getting attraction in the US in two areas. Sports, as mentioned (Connecticut State Champion girl's track and field now held by a boy) and the aforementioned Texas wrestling contest. Also in the military, where female are suffering injuries in training at higher rates than men. This document from Army Medical Command http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/FileDownloadpublic.aspx?docid=b42d1acd-0b32-4d26-8e22-4a518be998f7 indicates that one in 367 females are being diagnosed with pelvic stress fractures vs one in 40,000 males. They are substantially more likely to be discharged from the Army for muscular/skeletal disorder than men.p (67% more likely). US Marine Corps has reported similar observations.

The bottom line is that no matter how justified these policies on sexual identity or equality are on a moral or mental health basis, they cannot overrule the biological basis. Someone born with the muscular-skeletal structure of a female is not the same as one born with a male’s. No amount of hormone therapy or sexual reassignment surgery is going to change that. In most cases, it’s not an issue. In some, however, it very definitely is and willful ignorance in the best possible motivation won’t change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Are you not PC bro?

Dont you think she is stunning and brave?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Donald Trump should slap on a dress and wig and self-identify as a woman.

Imagine that, Donald Trump, the first female President of the United States of America. :D

Donald Trump was born a baby and he still acts like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Donald Trump was born a baby and he still acts like one.

I don't think Donald Trump ever really grew up. I still think its a disgrace that Americans actually voted him in as their President.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I don't think any trans person expects people to 'celebrate' it. I think they just want to be accepted and respected as they are for who they are, safe from ridicule and belittlement just like everyone else, and I don't think it's too much to ask.

You can have your opinions and still be respectful and polite, use a persons preferred pronoun, accept that your experience of dealing with the issue of transgenderism is very likely to be less complete than an actual trans persons is, and live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Candie wrote: »
    I don't think any trans person expects people to 'celebrate' it. I think they just want to be accepted and respected as they are for who they are, safe from ridicule and belittlement just like everyone else, and I don't think it's too much to ask.

You can have your opinions and still be respectful and polite, use a persons preferred pronoun, accept that your experience of dealing with the issue of transgenderism is very likely to be less complete than an actual trans persons is, and live and let live.
    As the mother of a 3rd level student I worry about the increasing insistence that universities and colleges become “safe spaces “ for those who feel marginalized and minorities.
    The truth of the matter is that once they leave school and enter the adult world there are very few “safe spaces”.
    How the hell are they going to cope with the outside world?

splinter65 wrote: »
    As the mother of a 3rd level student I worry about the increasing insistence that universities and colleges become “safe spaces “ for those who feel marginalized and minorities.
    The truth of the matter is that once they leave school and enter the adult world there are very few “safe spaces”.
    How the hell are they going to cope with the outside world?

That has nothing to do with being respectful to people and not being dismissive about their lives.

I think the pendulum will swing the other way in due course, as things are wont to do. There's already something of a backlash against the more extreme censorship, something that will only gain momentum as a reaction to the polarization apparent in society.

You can oppose safe spaces and the santization of public life and still be polite and kind to all people, including trans people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

AMKC wrote: »
    I don't think Donald Trump ever really grew up. I still think its a disgrace that Americans actually voted him in as their President.

It was either him or Crooked Hillary.

A sad state of affairs indeed. The Democrats nominated the one person guaranteed to be more odious than Donald Trump to millions of Americans.

An inanimate carbon rod would have been a better nominee than Clinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

AMKC wrote: »

He’s a gobsh*te but I just love how wound up people get over the most innocuous things he says and does.
    Every tweet makes so many people cry, rage and act like absolute tools. It’s hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Candie wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with being respectful to people and not being dismissive about their lives.

I think the pendulum will swing the other way in due course, as things are wont to do. There's already something of a backlash against the more extreme censorship, something that will only gain momentum as a reaction to the polarization apparent in society.

You can oppose safe spaces and the santization of public life and still be polite and kind to all people, including trans people.

I think the vast vast majority of people are neither disrespectful or dismissive of anyone. There will always be arseholes.
    I’m just alarmed at the extent 3rd level institutions are going to to mollycoddle young adults from reality when they will eventually have to deal with the arseholes having built up no resistance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement