Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New range opening in Tallaght

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Zeroing a rifle?

It's been discussed here umpteen times. Target shooting is illegal outside of an authorised range. Zeroing is technically target shooting. The Minister who brought in the regulations said that he didn't mean to include zeroing in the rules that covered target shooting but he never actually changed the legislation. Therefore, as the law stands, zeroing outside of an authorised range appears to be illegal.

Hey, I'll apologise if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

BattleCorp wrote:
    It's been discussed here umpteen times. Target shooting is illegal outside of an authorised range. Zeroing is technically target shooting. The Minister who brought in the regulations said that he didn't mean to include zeroing in the rules that covered target shooting but he never actually changed the legislation. Therefore, as the law stands, zeroing outside of an authorised range appears to be illegal.

You are correct but the legislation doesn't define what target shooting actually is, weather it be 1 or 100 rounds fired and therefore kinda creates this loophole

You are correct but the legislation doesn't define what target shooting actually is, weather it be 1 or 100 rounds fired and therefore kinda creates this loophole

I wouldn't like to be the test case.

BattleCorp wrote:
    I wouldn't like to be the test case.

I live across the Road from that golf course and can see it from my window, I know the 2 lads that were zeroing and could see them doing It, they were reported to Gardai who in turn came up, checked their licences and landowner permission and went away happy, they were no danger to the public and there are no public houses in the direction of fire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The range isn't going ahead on that site, Its moved on about 10 km from that location
    Where is it going now and when will it be open?

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote:
    Where is it going now and when will it be open?

Apparently it's been moved up around the Bohernabreena area but nowhere near BRC, work has already begun I believe
    I was told work had begun on the golf course, they had gone so far as building up the back stops and were told by the authorities they needed to go bigger. This was all a lie as far as i can tell so id take whatever you hear with a pinch of salt when it comes to these lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Zeroing is not defined by the amount of rounds fired, but that you fire at a target, and there is no loophole.

People have tried to convince themselves through various interpretations of the firearms act that its not illegal, but when the Minister, whose office drafted the legislation, says they didn't mean to make it illegal, you can be assured if brought up on charges that any justice would see it their [the Garda/DoJ] side.

Now so far i've heard of one lad being charged with it and two people receiving cease and desist orders to stop shooting. They also claimed zeroing thinking i was a loophole and hence legal, they too were wrong.

However if you feel you know better then go for gold, i'm not here to stop you or try to convince you otherwise, but for the sake of the forum and the rule about discussing illegal activities we have always called zeroing to be illegal, but generally not a big deal made of it by AGS once you play ball.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I live across the Road from that golf course and can see it from my window, I know the 2 lads that were zeroing and could see them doing It, they were reported to Gardai who in turn came

Where do you live .

From the stories doing the rounds several people reported been threaten by people shooting on the lands , particularly people involved in the addiction treatment center ,
    Another complaint came from the school near by after a shotgun was discharged very close to the boundary fence which I believe wasn't directly involved with the golf course ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Cass wrote: »
    Zeroing is not defined by the amount of rounds fired, but that you fire at a target, and there is no loophole.

People have tried to convince themselves through various interpretations of the firearms act that its not illegal, but when the Minister, whose office drafted the legislation, says they didn't mean to make it illegal, you can be assured if brought up on charges that any justice would see it their [the Garda/DoJ] side.

Now so far i've heard of one lad being charged with it and two people receiving cease and desist orders to stop shooting. They also claimed zeroing thinking i was a loophole and hence legal, they too were wrong.

However if you feel you know better then go for gold, i'm not here to stop you or try to convince you otherwise, but for the sake of the forum and the rule about discussing illegal activities we have always called zeroing to be illegal, but generally not a big deal made of it by AGS once you play ball.
    We really have to get this sorted out, if it's not the intention of the law then we have to pressure the people we pay to make the laws to revisit and make it fit for purpose.

We really have to get this sorted out, if it's not the intention of the law then we have to pressure the people we pay to make the laws to revisit and make it fit for purpose.

Always be careful when trying to get the authorities to change the law because they might change one thing in your favour and add in ten things that restrict the sport.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote:
    Where do you live .

Hazelgrove, And that school is surrounded by private lands that have been shot on since the beginning of time and are no danger to the school.
    As for the "addiction" centre, Its a load of lads living in converted horse stables

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Absolutely, but as Battlecorp said:
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    Always be careful when trying to get the authorities to change the law because they might change one thing in your favour and add in ten things that restrict the sport.
    Sometimes when we seek one thing we get that, and a host of other crap too.

I'd need to check into it in more detail, but changing this would mean a change to the legislation. An SI cannot change primary legislation, but may amend it so long as it doesn't alter the intention of the legislation.

If an SI will not work then a change to the Act will not be a quick thing and as said others will try and jump on the bandwagon to stick in things that may end up causing us more problems than we started with.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Hazelgrove, And that school is surrounded by private lands that have been shot on since the beginning of time and are no danger to the school.
    As for the "addiction" centre, Its a load of lads living in converted horse stables

Yet you could see two lads zeroing .22s from there ,
    Unless you live in the middle of the golf course i can't think how you could see this from a window ,

Gatling wrote:
    Yet you could see two lads zeroing .22s from there , Unless you live in the middle of the golf course i can't think how you could see this from a window ,

I said I know them, and Yes, they can be seen from my attic velux

I said I know them, and Yes, they can be seen from my attic velux

I live in hazelgrove facing towards this site and yet can't see anything from here,ive been on the roof of the school too and couldn't see the course at all odd

Gatling wrote:
    I live in hazelgrove facing towards this site and yet can't see anything from here,ive been on the roof of the school too and couldn't see the course at all odd

That is odd, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gatling wrote: »
    What if there's property directly to the left and direct sight in a straight line

They'd fail their firearms range inspection and not be granted a Section 4A authorisation and the local Superintendent would probably* then refuse to issue the Section 2(5) authorisation for the range.

*probably meaning that barring special circumstances, it'd be thrown out so fast your head would spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The minister of the day himself specifically said that it was not the intention.

That, and about a fiver will get you a cup of fancy coffee in Dublin. The law as passed by the Oireachtas says there's no difference and only by changing the law can you fix that.

The problem with changing the law is you start off with just one change in mind and then sixty other "tiny, small, inconsequential" changes get pushed in because they have an equal claim to merit; next thing you know, Mattie McGrath and Finian McGrath are arguing over a technical point in a sixty-page amendment to the firearms acts in a back-room committee meeting with the doors closed and the cameras off and three months later it's illegal to use penetrating ammunition in a firearm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

I heeard on the grapevine that Mattie McGrath caused a range in South Tipp serious hassle. Shows he's no supporter of shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I heeard on the grapevine that Mattie McGrath caused a range in South Tipp serious hassle. Shows he's no supporter of shooting.

I talked to him about that range, -he is no supporter of shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Chiparus wrote: »
    I talked to him about that range, -he is no supporter of shooting.

Fair dues. Seems you have first hand knowledge so. Considering he left FF over stag hunting bill and made himself out to be a supporter of fieldsports that's an interesting comment

I was walking the dog up around the Hazelgrove Golf course at about 11am today and seen 2 JCB diggers turning soil, There was a guy at the gate in a Land Rover, I asked him what are they working on and he said they are building a sports centre, Gun range going ahead???

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭cosieman

Any word on the progress of this range and do they have clay pigeons?

Out of the blue got a text today, bit of digging around and I found out it's the same lads as Range River Mountain. Wonder where it's going to be now, they are saying wicklow

Hello, this is Oldstone Sports the new firearms dealer in Tallaght. Our safe is open for trade by appointment and our range is nearly ready. Our website is still being updated but you can find out more at oldstonesports.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Another group of dreamers

Advertisement