Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New range opening in Tallaght

Options
  • 09-11-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads, i was up in the outdoor store today and the lads were telling me they are in the process of opening a new range just off the N81 in tallaght at the old Hazel Grove golf club. Apparently going to cater for all calibres and longer range stuff too. Plan is to be opened in January.

Sounds like it could be decent from what they were saying. Anyone else heard anything about it?

Time for another new gun i think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Have they started building yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yeah he said they have been getting truck loads of earth in for weeks for the backstop and have started working on the clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Very good. Will have a look when they open

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sounds good given the news i've been hearing about other ranges this last week.

Would be good to see another long range, range. Even another 300 yard one and start to do some national comps around a few of them.

Keep us informed. Has it a name yet?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

As far as thw guy inwas talking to was concerned it was going to be out to 1000 yards, he said they have 380 acres. Used to be an 11 hole golf course.

There is an open night in the shop next week so ill try find out more information then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That is brilliant. More ranges like this are sorely needed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

Planning permission? Will not last long without it.

No idea man bit i wouldnt say they are spending money like that without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Sounds too good to be true to be honest. A 1,000 yard range in dublin ? A plot of ground large enough to accomodate a range that size would be snapped up for huge money by a developer.

In addition to that, anything run by yer man in that shop, and no one would want to know, i certainly wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

gunny123 wrote: »
    Sounds too good to be true to be honest. A 1,000 yard range in dublin ? A plot of ground large enough to accomodate a range that size would be snapped up for huge money by a developer.

In addition to that, anything run by yer man in that shop, and no one would want to know, i certainly wouldn't.

If the land is zoned for sports and recreational use you couldn't magically turn it into residential like it could have been done in the past.

A shooting range would definitely fall within the zoning criteria if that's the case.

• Advertisement

I know the land was bought a few years ago for about €1m, i remember reading it when the golf course was closing. Time will tell i suppose!

If the land is zoned for sports and recreational use you couldn't magically turn it into residential like it could have been done in the past.

A shooting range would definitely fall within the zoning criteria if that's the case.

A few fat brown envelopes change hands in a dark pub carpark and it would be rezoned no bother. I know one developer personally who built scores of apartments on what was green belt land. When i asked him how that was done, all i got was a smirk and he tapped his nose. Its how things are done in Ireland and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RossiFan08

Highly unlikely to be 1000 yards as the golf course end to end is just short of 800 m and that's not taking into account berms and shooting from the very edge of the property. It is also a bit concerning having a road running through the golf course to a farm house at the end as shown in the google maps screen shot

https://imgur.com/a/cLAgW

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Very close to a local primary school and halting site ,
    There is also a drug addiction crowd working in the site ,

Was supposed be to zoned for housing

A number of proposed and operating ranges in this country currently have planning issues. The current public attitude to ranges is hostile usually because of perceived safety, noise and environmental issues. This perception is usually wrong but it does not stop protests being mounted and local residents being stirred up.As has been shown in the above post, this range is very close to built up areas hence there could be problems with planning. If the proposed operators of this range have spent money moving earth and building anything without planning permission then they may regret it. The issue for the currently operating ranges is that such developments can bring unwanted attention.

I remember the chap trying to get the old military range in Ticknock (above Ballinteer) reopened, it was going ok, getting the butts and firing points cleared of gorse and junk, then a local td stuck her beak in and that was that. She wanted to keep the land free of "gun nuts" and open for mountain bikers, even though the land was actually private and mountain biking at the time was not permitted on the three rock.

If i am correct, the tallaght area has a lot of the people before profit, rich boy barrett, katherine zappone and other champagne socalist types out there, who i am certain would not look favourably on a shooting range there.

If i am correct, the tallaght area has a lot of the people before profit, rich boy barrett, katherine zappone and other champagne socalist types out there, who i am certain would not look favourably on a shooting range out there.

Yes and no ,but I happen to know the residents in hazelggrove will go nuts over this and that's before you get to the local school very close by and the halting site that's regularly raised by Gardai.
    It would be interesting to see what planning they actually have ,

Not against the idea myself but there will be a lot of people who will make a lot of noise about it

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes and no ,but I happen to know the residents in hazelggrove will go nuts over this and that's before you get to the local school very close by and the halting site that's regularly raised by Gardai.

Not against the idea myself but there will be a lot of people who will make a lot of noise about it

God, can you imagine the oul wans ringing Joe Duffy :rolleyes:

God, can you imagine the oul wans ringing Joe Duffy :rolleyes:

Them "oul wans" probably don't even realise there's such a thing as a legally held gun... .

Them "oul wans" probably don't even realise there's such a thing as a legally held gun... .

Exactly, so some anti can go around and fill them with tales of woe - "Gun nuts, dunblane, columbine, etc etc" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Excuse my ignorance, but what effect would that have on the residents of Hazelgrove?

Excuse my ignorance, but what effect would that have on the residents of Hazelgrove?

Well they absolutely raised hell over a new school built ,now tell them there is a range going In a couple hundred yards away from their doors you can expect a very loud response ,

Speaking from experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Well they absolutely raised hell over a new school built ,now tell them there is a range going In a couple hundred yards away from their doors you can expect a very loud response ,

Speaking from experience

That was due to massive traffic issues caused by the school having one entry and exit INTO the quiet estate, I couldn't blame them.
    I am just trying to work out how this would affect the estate. I know I wouldnt want to put anything next to the halting site, the gardai raid it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

RossiFan08 wrote: »
    Highly unlikely to be 1000 yards as the golf course end to end is just short of 800 m and that's not taking into account berms and shooting from the very edge of the property. It is also a bit concerning having a road running through the golf course to a farm house at the end as shown in the google maps screen shot

https://imgur.com/a/cLAgW

Better tell the Swiss that it's dangerous to fire across a road.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/11/22/rifle-range-highway-switzerland/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

First time i heard about this range was last april. And it meant to be open before summer..

I searched the South County Dublin planning files for the area and for any applications mentioning "range", "shooting", "Rifle" or "pistol" and can not find any applications of this type. This does not mean they have not applied but it does mean I can not find an application in the most likely categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mylo10

I met the guys in Outdoor Sports who are opening this range. Signed up for information on it. It does look promising if it goes ahead.

Wasn't the golf club house burnt down a few years back?

I wish them the best with this and hope to be down there when/if it opens.

mylo10 wrote: »

Yeah last year it burned down ,
    It was replaced with a drug addiction treatment house

• Registered Users Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mylo10 wrote: »
    I met the guys in Outdoor Sports who are opening this range. Signed up for information on it. It does look promising if it goes ahead.

I wish them the best with this and hope to be down there when/if it opens.

From reading this thread I've discovered that it's very close to me, if it goes ahead I'd be very interested in taking up the sport. But looking at the SDCC planning map there is no application for the golf course. Can a shooting range use the same zoning/planning as a golf course?

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    From reading this thread I've discovered that it's very close to me, if it goes ahead I'd be very interested in taking up the sport. But looking at the SDCC planning map there is no application for the golf course. Can a shooting range use the same zoning/planning as a golf course?

I'm far from a planning expert but given that a golf course and a shooting range are both sporting/recreational facilities I reckon zoning would be ok. A whole different ball game for obtaining licences, permits etc etc for the intended activity to be able to be conducted lawfully though.

Advertisement