Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New range opening in Tallaght

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I took a quick look and could see that there were a number of planning applications lodged for Courtlough.

Mainly relating to the shooting stands, clubhouse and backstops.

Hard to see how another range could be put up without these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Thw guy i was talking to actually mentioned the backstop, he said originally they had to be a certain height then when they were built up they were told to go higher. Not sure what the story is with planning, i didn't ask but from what he was saying there are officials involved and advising.

Has anyone else been in the shop and heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

I know the guys from the drug addiction treatment house walk the golf course every evening and pray on the hill maybe that will help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

gunny123 wrote: »
    I remember the chap trying to get the old military range in Ticknock (above Ballinteer) reopened, it was going ok, getting the butts and firing points cleared of gorse and junk, then a local td stuck her beak in and that was that. She wanted to keep the land free of "gun nuts" and open for mountain bikers, even though the land was actually private and mountain biking at the time was not permitted on the three rock.

Hah.. Nice... the mountainbikers can be ok but I've seen bikers urinating in front of women/kids/dogs up in ticknock car park.That worked out well for everyone then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hah.. Nice... the mountainbikers can be ok but I've seen bikers urinating in front of women/kids/dogs up in ticknock car park.That worked out well for everyone then :-)

Would a dog be offended if you urinated in front of it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Cycle nazi's, the country is infected with them. They are always right, because they are saving the planet, well on weekends anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Cycle nazi's, the country is infected with them. They are always right, because they are saving the planet, well on weekends anyway.

Some of us deer stalkers enjoy mountain biking/are Cycle nazis.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrReal

I have lived in the area all my life, every summer that golf course has kids on it playing and going up over the hills, it would be crazy to put a gun club so close to a residential area and school.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Bohernabreena gun club is behind the Church and houses less than 20 meter from it with walkers. bikers, church goers, funerals and lots of kids pass by and never had a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

MrReal wrote: »
    it would be crazy to put a gun club so close to a residential area and school.

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that any range in this country would ever be permitted to face towards a populated area - none; zero; zip; nada!

It may be located adjacent but shooting away from, certainly - in which case, assuming covered firing points (which are inevitable) there's no risk. So no, not crazy at all.

In fact it's obsurdly conservative compared to some european ranges:
    https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/10/27/video-rilfe-range-shoots-busy-main-road/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

extremetaz wrote: »
    There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that any range in this country would ever be permitted to face towards a populated area - none; zero; zip; nada!

It may be located adjacent but shooting away from, certainly - in which case, assuming covered firing points (which are inevitable) there's no risk. So no, not crazy at all.

What if there's property directly to the left and direct sight in a straight line

It smells like developers ruse to me, the whole thing. Buy land, get knocked back by the county council for pp for a gazillion apartments. What to do ? Attempt to open something like a scrap yard, halting site, or (in this case) rifle range. The locals get up in arms and bombard the council with complaints and objections, and council reconsider the original pp for the apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It smells like developers ruse to me, the whole thing. Buy land, get knocked back by the county council for pp for a gazillion apartments. What to do ? Attempt to open something like a scrap yard, halting site, or (in this case) rifle range. The locals get up in arms and bombard the council with complaints and objections, and council reconsider the original pp for the apartments.

There is already a Halting site sitting right beside it ,a church of some kind ,a farm ,close to a primary school already ,
    And there is a fair amount of land in the vacinity zoned for housing .
    And locals looking for a new secondary school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Gatling wrote: »
    What if there's property directly to the left and direct sight in a straight line

Direct sight specifically from where? If it's from a firing point, then there is a concern warranted in the case of accidental discharge, but I can't imagine that could ever be the case - even if such property is visible from a proposed firing point in the absence of any structures, by the time anything is constructed I would expect that there would be more than ample barrier present - that's simply common sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

aaakev wrote: »
    Hi Lads, i was up in the outdoor store today and the lads were telling me they are in the process of opening a new range just off the N81 in tallaght at the old Hazel Grove golf club. Apparently going to cater for all calibres and longer range stuff too.

Has the above anything to do with this.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Hi Lads, i was up in the outdoor store today and the lads were telling me they are in the process of opening a new range just off the N81 in tallaght at the old Hazel Grove golf club. Apparently going to cater for all calibres and longer range stuff too.

Has the above anything to do with this.
    Certainly seems to be the same people alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Certainly seems to be the same people alright

I can certainly see that ending well, based on the performance so far.

Big time.... i wouldnt be surprised if they were already charging membership

What permissions would they need if they were operating a clay pigeon range there? I'm guessing that is what is taking place there.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What permissions would they need if they were operating a clay pigeon range there? I'm guessing that is what is taking place there.
    From what i was told its a rifle range

• Advertisement

Not being smart and I genuinely know nothing about the site, but were you told that by someone reliable who had first hand knowledge of that?

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because a lot of non-shooting people don't know the difference between a rifle and a shotgun.

What permissions would they need if they were operating a clay pigeon range there?
    None, really.

Clay pigeon shooting is not classed as target shooting so does not require the same authorisation as a rifle range. They only need to own/have permission for the land.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    None, really.

Clay pigeon shooting is not classed as target shooting so does not require the same authorisation as a rifle range. They only need to own/have permission for the land.

So if it was a shotgun range, it's probably ok?

If it was shotgun only, and they have permission on the land or own it, then they won't be in breach of any firearm laws that i can think off. Noise pollution, EPA, and that other stuff, well that is outside my wheelhouse.

There was no mention of what type of firearms, whether it was target shooting, and given the Council have received no complaints it could be a "Nervous Elk" situation screaming won't someone think of the children. Some even said that they wouldn't mind a range as long as the shooting was not incessant.
    when it comes to firearms it's always sensationalised. A couple of guys with shoguns are reported as a Daesh training camp.

Not being smart and I genuinely know nothing about the site, but were you told that by someone reliable who had first hand knowledge of that?

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because a lot of non-shooting people don't know the difference between a rifle and a shotgun.
    The man who owns the shop and said he was opening the range.

Pistol range too apparently because they were trying to sell me a 1911 at the time too

The man who owns the shop and said he was opening the range.

Pistol range too apparently because they were trying to sell me a 1911 at the time too

Thats the kiss of death and no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

The range isn't going ahead on that site, Its moved on about 10 km from that location

Cass wrote:
    Has the above anything to do with

Blown way out of proportion, It was 2 lads zeroing .22's now and again over the course of a month

Blown way out of proportion, It was 2 lads zeroing .22's now and again over the course of a month

Yep, that's the kind of crap that gets us in trouble. Lads doing what they are not supposed to be doing.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote:
    Yep, that's the kind of crap that gets us in trouble. Lads doing what they are not supposed to be doing.

Zeroing a rifle?

Advertisement