Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's €50 cheaper than the disc drive versions on the IE site!

https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/consoles#xbox-one-s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Am I missing something.

An Xbox One S digital only console priced at $250 using the same form factor has the One S.

The regular One S is €250 at gamestop with a game at the moment.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/consoles/xbox-one-s/all-digital-edition?ocid=InsideXbox_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_4.16

Saves money using same form factor. I bet if you took it apart it still has connection points for disc drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Saves money using same form factor. I bet if you took it apart it still has connection points for disc drive.

The One S is always for sale between €200-250

Even Gamestop are selling the regular One S for €250 with a game.
    Smyths also.

The only way it works is if its priced €200 here.

https://www.gamestop.ie/Xbox%20One/Games/66178/xbox-one-s-1tb-middle-earth-shadow-of-war-console-bundle

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/tom-clancy-s-the-division-2-video-game/xbox-one-s-1tb-tom-clancy%E2%80%99s-the-division-2-bundle/p/171681

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It's €50 cheaper than the disc drive versions on the IE site!

https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/consoles#xbox-one-s
    Interesting, priced at €230 on the local Xbox store. I can't see this device making sales. Its going to have to significantly drop in price to motivate people to buy it.

Am I missing something.

An Xbox One S digital only console priced at $250 using the same form factor has the One S.

Smyths also.

I am not talking about the price they are selling it for. I was pointing out that it saves MS money manufacturing them with the same form factor. All the have to change is the upper plastic casing and keep everything else the same minus the disc drive.

If they completely redesigned the motherboard and cases it would cost them a lot more to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Smyths also.

https://www.gamestop.ie/Xbox%20One/Games/66178/xbox-one-s-1tb-middle-earth-shadow-of-war-console-bundle

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/tom-clancy-s-the-division-2-video-game/xbox-one-s-1tb-tom-clancy%E2%80%99s-the-division-2-bundle/p/171681

Interesting, priced at €230 on the local Xbox store. I can't see this device making sales. Its going to have to significantly drop in price to motivate people to buy it.

The diskless one will be available for €175 after a few weeks I'd say and that'd bring it in less than a Shield TV so you could get a few people looking for a media player to purchase it then as well as gamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The diskless one will be available for €175 after a few weeks I'd say and that'd bring it in less than a Shield TV so you could get a few people looking for a media player to purchase it then as well as gamers.

It kinda fails as a media player without the disc drive though, especially seeing as the disc version has a 4k drive.

TitianGerm wrote: »

It was very odd of Larry to point out straight away that if the regular One S goes on the sale the One S Digital will also receive a reduction. Given the one s often drops to €220 during some sales the digital version should be really cheap.

Possible E3 sale I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It kinda fails as a media player without the disc drive though, especially seeing as the disc version has a 4k drive.

Shield TV doesn't have a disk drive and it's an extremely popular choice as a media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I use my One S as a media player, have never used the disc drive in the few years that I've owned it, must press the button tonight and see if it even works!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The MSRP of the Xbox One S is $300, while the One SAD has an MSRP of $250. Comparing those two, and the price difference is grand. I'd be shocked if the actual retail price doesn't reflect the reality on the ground within a few weeks.

And if they start bundling other games with it? Then the price is going to look a lot better.

One of the interesting things about this is that Gamestop might not be stocking it. I can see why, it's a direct assault on their business model,

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    The MSRP of the Xbox One S is $300, while the One SAD has an MSRP of $250. Comparing those two, and the price difference is grand. I'd be shocked if the actual retail price doesn't reflect the reality on the ground within a few weeks.

And if they start bundling other games with it? Then the price is going to look a lot better.

One of the interesting things about this is that Gamestop might not be stocking it. I can see why, it's a direct assault on their business model,

I'd be surprised if shops like Gamestop will stock it. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot. They also probably have surplus of regular One S stock.

So it looks like Gamestop aren't selling the Xbox One S Digital.

Smyths are but no sign that Gamestop are so far.

*No sign of it on the UK's "Game" website either.

I read last night that the DLC for Crackdown 1 and 2 are free.

Having trouble syncing/pairing a new controller to the One S at the minute. The remote pair button seems to work for a minute or two but then the controller goes back into 'blinking' mode as if it can no longer see the Xbox.

I've tried connecting it via USB and it stays on and connected no problem. I went into settings - devices - controllers and tried to force an update of the firmware on the controller, but no joy. When I unplug the lead from the controller, it goes back into 'blinking' mode.

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Having trouble syncing/pairing a new controller to the One S at the minute. The remote pair button seems to work for a minute or two but then the controller goes back into 'blinking' mode as if it can no longer see the Xbox.

I've tried connecting it via USB and it stays on and connected no problem. I went into settings - devices - controllers and tried to force an update of the firmware on the controller, but no joy. When I unplug the lead from the controller, it goes back into 'blinking' mode.

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Haven't had that exact issue, but a couple of things to try:
    • Change the batteries
    • Eliminate interference (move the Xbox in front of the TV, open cabinet doors, etc)
    • If you have an external HDD, put it behind the Xbox - it can cause interference on top (happened with my WiFi connection)

Haven't had that exact issue, but a couple of things to try:
    • Change the batteries
    • Eliminate interference (move the Xbox in front of the TV, open cabinet doors, etc)
    • If you have an external HDD, put it behind the Xbox - it can cause interference on top (happened with my WiFi connection)

Cheers for the input, I've tried all that already but no joy. Upon further investigation tonight it seems to only stay connected when the controller is within about a foot of the console and in direct line of sight. There's definitely something fishy with the Bluetooth transmission from the controller to the xbox.

Edit: so after fluting around a bit to confirm the above, a couple of videos were advocating installation of a new wireless unit for the xbox. This seemed a bit drastic, so I did a bit more delving into YouTube and found this video:

https://youtu.be/a1-As5NFsWk

The 2nd part of this video worked a charm, so far. In case it gets taken down or something and someone else hits this problem, here are the steps.

Connect controller via USB
    Hard reset the xbox while still connected via USB by holding down the main xbox button on the console (not the controller) until it shuts down
    Remove power cable from back of console for 1 minute
    Plug it back in and Restart xbox while still connected via USB (I had to use the console itself to power on again, using the joypad wouldn't work)
    Once it boots up, it should say its connected
    I unplugged the USB and had to do the wireless sync again immediately, so I wasn't expecting it to work, but once I synced it stayed connected.

I even shut down the console via the joypad and was able to boot it back up from the sofa, so all looking good for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

All the promo for Cuphead on the Switch inspired me to finally buy it. My god, that's a hard game!! Hard like games used to be when we were young!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Does anyone know if I can use my Street Fighter IV gamepad with Street Fighter IV on Xbox One? Can't find any info online. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

the corpo wrote: »
    All the promo for Cuphead on the Switch inspired me to finally buy it. My god, that's a hard game!! Hard like games used to be when we were young!

I gave up! Great game but really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can use my Street Fighter IV gamepad with Street Fighter IV on Xbox One? Can't find any info online. Thanks.

No, you need an adapter to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Been playing Crackdown 3 for the past few days.

Yes it should have not taken this length of time to make and so on.

For what it is a GAME PASS game its not the worst part of game pass I would play it I am done and dusted with the story and I am happy with it.

But If i paid anything for the game its a rip off reminds of of agents of mayhem at 10 euros that game i felt ripped off !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Been playing Crackdown 3 for the past few days.

Yes it should have not taken this length of time to make and so on.

For what it is a GAME PASS game its not the worst part of game pass I would play it I am done and dusted with the story and I am happy with it.

But If i paid anything for the game its a rip off reminds of of agents of mayhem at 10 euros that game i felt ripped off !!!
    I agree. It's a fun, silly romp for what it is - it's short but has moments that'll make you smile (for me one of these was when I was in a battle and accidentally picked up a truck and threw it at the bad guys). Also, I hate collectibles in games but damn if I hear that Orb sound and don't spend the next few minutes looking around the area for it.

The delays, I reckon, were likely more because of the multiplayer part and they wanted to sim-ship the two modes.

On Game Pass, it's worth it for a few hours of OP silliness.
    At €60, it's not even close to worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I gave up! Great game but really hard.

I didn't buy it because it looked proper hard. The rage I felt playing and finishing the 3 Dark Souls games is enough to last me a lifetime :D

I upgraded my Xbox One X to a SSD today. I really should have done it a long time ago but I played more on my PC but that changed. I play more on Xbox now so said why not. I never realized that they use a slim 2.5" HDD. More like a SSD thickness.

I upgraded my Xbox One X to a SSD today. I really should have done it a long time ago but I played more on my PC but that changed. I play more on Xbox now so said why not. I never realized that they use a slim 2.5" HDD. More like a SSD thickness.
    Did you open it up or use an external ssd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Did you open it up or use an external ssd?

Based on what he said, describing what the XB1 has internally, it sounds like he opened it up.
    However, if that is the case, did you replace the existing HDD with an SSD, or add it as extra storage? If replaced, how did the XB1 deal with it? Did you need to factory reset the box?

I was thinking of doing something similar myself, but google'd "replace hdd in xbox one" and it says it is hard, so I decided against it. Plus, my XB1X is under warranty anyway, so SSD in external USB it is for me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

JoyPad wrote: »
    Based on what he said, describing what the XB1 has internally, it sounds like he opened it up.
    However, if that is the case, did you replace the existing HDD with an SSD, or add it as extra storage? If replaced, how did the XB1 deal with it? Did you need to factory reset the box?

I was thinking of doing something similar myself, but google'd "replace hdd in xbox one" and it says it is hard, so I decided against it. Plus, my XB1X is under warranty anyway, so SSD in external USB it is for me!

When I did it, I used the guides here. These are pretty much the definitive guides, and include everything you need from start to finish.

To answer your questions:
    You can't add extra storage internally, there's only room/ports for one drive, so you have to replace the drive that's already there with a new one.

You used to be able to copy files from your old drive over, but they don't recommend that anymore, it caused some problems. In the end, you'll essentially have a fresh install of the OS, with nothing* from your previous drive.

*Once you've got it up and running, you need to get a single file from your old drive, and put it onto the new drive, it's the boot animation. You can totally skip this step, but it just felt weird to me.

^^^^
    What size SSD do you have inside an Xbox One? :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    ^^^^
    What size SSD do you have inside an Xbox One? :)

Just a 1TB, got it on sale. Doesn't even need to be one of the superfast ones to notice a difference.

Still have my external attached, so that I can transfer any game I want to play onto the SSD.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just a 1TB, got it on sale. Doesn't even need to be one of the superfast ones to notice a difference.

Still have my external attached, so that I can transfer any game I want to play onto the SSD.

Cool, I just took a look there on Amazon.

The below one can be got for £85 at the moment, with it's 5% off voucher.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JYQRX6X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1L0T6QVXY3G6Y&psc=1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's pretty good, right? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement