Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why there are so many junkies (chavs/knackers)in Dublin?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

MysticMonk wrote: »
    There's loads of them that are still in use. Llts of those red-brick social housing schemes too within minutes of the city centre and they werent built that long ago.

You know what, I actually don't care.

Social housing is a good thing and needs to be built.

Social housing is not the problem. Letting rents and house prices skyrocket is.

I've worked hard abroad and saved up a deposit for a house. I got one of the last affordable houses in Dublin 5 on my budget. I'm happy and I like my job. I just feel it's really unfair on working people the way the market is now, and the way absolute wasters can live in prime locations for free. It's senseless.

Nobody lives anywhere for "free" and there are plenty of people who are working living in social housing.

Your bitterness shouldn't be directed at them, direct it at the people who let the prices of houses get out of control. You've been priced out of a "market", not because some folk are in social housing, but because the custodians of power in our country couldn't care less about you or your ability to buy a home for yourself and your family.

Learn to aim your hate in the right direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Tony EH wrote: »
    Nobody lives anywhere for "free" and there are plenty of people who are working living in social housing.

Your bitterness shouldn't be directed at them, direct it at the people who let the prices of houses get out of control. You've been priced out of a "market", not because some folk are in social housing, but because the custodians of power in our country couldn't care less about you or your ability to buy a home for yourself and your family.

Learn to aim your hate in the right direction.

Again - if someone doesn't work, or never worked, has 3 kids and a house provided by the government, how are they paying rent, and for food? Where does the money come from? A magic tree?
    I own a house a 25 min cycle to city centre on a tiny mortgage, how have I been priced out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

You know what, I actually don't care.

Social housing is a good thing and needs to be built.

Social housing is not the problem. Letting rents and house prices skyrocket is.

Social housing=Social problems.

No exceptions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

No exceptions.

I don't agree with that. I live in a social housing estate, probably half of it isn't any more though, and it's dead as disco at night, I love it there.

As I said before, my beef with social housing is just location. The city centre should be bigger than it is, there should be more cool areas with professionals and students living there - I think all social housing should be built a 3-5km radius outside the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

There hasn't been inner city flats built for years. Not in any numbers anyhow.

Just ones being rebuilt in their place? Charlemont flats are all being rebuilt as we speak

No exceptions.

Nonsense.

The vast, vast majority of people who live and grow up on council estates do so without the cliche you wish to attach to them.

Are there social problems on council estates? Yes.

Are there social problems on private estates? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I don't agree with that. I live in a social housing estate, probably half of it isn't any more though, and it's dead as disco at night, I love it there.

As I said before, my beef with social housing is just location. The city centre should be bigger than it is, there should be more cool areas with professionals and students living there - I think all social housing should be built a 3-5km radius outside the city centre.

Students and professionals live in council housing too you know. But given that over 80% of north inner city (probably the highest density of council housing in the city centre) residents are in privately owned property, surely there’s nothing to stop it being ‘cool’ too? Personally, I’d suggest looking at the ‘coolest’ parts of London (say Shoreditch), and compare them to the areas of lowest local authority housing in London (say Knightsbridge) to determine if local authority housing has any impact on ‘coolness’ whatsoever (it doesn’t).

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

Combination of factors really. The main one is the Government abolished Psychiatric Confinement so they were effectively released back onto the streets. It's not uncommon to see them on the street behind the four courts building in the company of non-European migrants. You can spot them a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Because they aren't in jail. Look at this guy, armed robbery 3 times in 1 week and on 1 occasion attempted to attack Gardai. Gets 5 years, 1.5 suspended

Man who raided local shop three times in one week sentenced to 3½ years and will likely be released early to run amuck again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2022/07/18/man-who-raided-local-shop-three-times-in-one-week-sentenced-to-3-years/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

5 year old thread???

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Agree. The comparison of Aviva to Croker is telling.

Going to Croker for one of the less attended games is a grim experience. I lived on Mountjoy Sq in the 80s. It was kip then ...and still is....just a diversified kip. But there's no shortage of urban hellholes within the canals on both sides. Since getting an e bike I often tour around most places (easy to scoot away from trouble) and the worst block I saw recently was somewhere I think off Cork St.. or possibly near the Coombe or Marylands? I haven't been able to find it again since so can't be sure. .

That said there are some visible improvements. The block south of Mountjoy Sq down towards Talbot has some new housing blocks and Dominick St (one side) is nearly complete with the other side due (subject to funds lol). The new Grangegorman campus down to Smithfield is already changing dramatically the feel of that general area. Same with DCU which impressed me on a recent jaunt into All Hallowes... and I view the new Childrens Hospital as a kind of "anchor tenant" to pull up the general area of the Grand Canal stretch there. The Tolka Park upgrade is really a welcome change compared to its no go area status "when I were a lad". While some decry the corporatisation of the Docklands (and for sure who can afford those appts?), I shed no tears for the dereliction/decay it replaced. Islandbridge is really coming along nicely as is Kilmainham (apart from the crappy art in the Hospital). Chapelizard is a little gem as is Griffith Park. The new social housing block in ODevaney looks fine to me...I snook in to take a peep during the construction.

It's probably age on my part but there's a real air of menace in many areas within the canals especially after dark. I avoid my local Centra because of the almost guaranteed hassling...and thanks to online shopping I seldom need to face the gauntlet now. Since becoming an e bike convert I never walk or use public transport and consequently this renewed my interest in this Dirty Old Town. Very odd. Reclaiming public spaces such as the Liffey Boardwalk... or Connolly Station... or the park at Little Britain St... or the park at the Croppy Acre etc etc or even finding a usable public toilet facility (still looking) would require a complete cultural shift ... which I never see happening in my lifetime. The one and only time I saw an active and highly visible cop presence in the public space was during the Covid lockdown when they were dishing out fines willy nilly. The Court bigwigs and Media chatteratti had no problem with it then. So it can be done....

I was jumped from behind during the lockdown in broad daylight not fifty yards from my home and got no change from the cops or their political masters. I'm now planning my exit and thus consider these bike jaunts round the city as my long goodbye to my hometown.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^

I'm now planning my exit and thus consider these bike jaunts round the city as my long goodbye to my hometown.

Sorry to hear that. Could you leave me the eBike in your will?

😄

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

&getoutadodge great post "diversified kip" that was funny, the chatteratti tell us that diversifying a kip brings culture and hipness , not.

All that happens is the original inhabitants and the new arrivals exist in permanent hostility to each other. That is the underlying atmosphere in the North inner city.

But make no mistake that area was always dangerous and menacing going bac6to the 80s. There was a brief honeymoon in the 90s and early 2000s during dublin's golden age

Advertisement