Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why there are so many junkies (chavs/knackers)in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

eduzzino5 wrote: »
    Please don't get me wrong - I don't want to offend or to insult anyone.
    I don't even know the right word to use (knackers/chavs/scumbags/junkies). I moved from Boston to Dublin last year and it seems to me there are so many knackers in the city.

Just wanted to understand if there is a reason (bad welfare? high level of drugs? low police enforcement?) of why there are so many knackers in Dublin (especially in the city center)

��

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

alastair wrote: »
    Once again - it's not free housing. Local authority tenants pay rent just like private landlord's tenants

With whose money?

Well the rent isn't being paid and the tenants are keeping it for themselves..i also know from experience that they don't like paying for refuse collections either..preferring to dump their crap in the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

MysticMonk wrote: »
    With whose money?

Well the rent isn't being paid and the tenants are keeping it for themselves..i also know from experience that they don't like paying for refuse collections either..preferring to dump their crap in the street.

Yup. Cycle through Summerhill regularly. Tonnes of bags of rubbish just left beside the street dustbins.
    Some people don't seem to understand that paying your rent with free money doesn't equate to free rent, don't waste your time with them.

Yup. Cycle through Summerhill regularly. Tonnes of bags of rubbish just left beside the street dustbins.
    Some people don't seem to understand that paying your rent with free money doesn't equate to free rent, don't waste your time with them.

Same round my way on Wednesday mornings..bags of rubbish left against trees and lamposts.

The "defence" of these people is that they cannot "afford" the 19 euro a month the bins cost as they're too strapped for cash...but to judge by the contents of the ripped-open bins they have plenty of money for budweiser,cigarettes and takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

take a trip up the R139 (the old n32) from Clare Hall to the M50 and the filth of the place is unreal. The footpaths, bushes and "housing" areas. Was up in Clare Hall Tesco this morning and the que out the post office was into the car park and it wasnt people buying stamps or sending letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

With whose money?
    With their salary, if they're working, and with their welfare, if they're not. In either case, it's their income.

Well the rent isn't being paid and the tenants are keeping it for themselves.

You didn't read the Irish Times article, did you?

neris wrote: »
    take a trip up the R139 (the old n32) from Clare Hall to the M50 and the filth of the place is unreal. The footpaths, bushes and "housing" areas. Was up in Clare Hall Tesco this morning and the que out the post office was into the car park and it wasnt people buying stamps or sending letters.

Dole-scrounging children of dole-scrounging parents..they've no respect for anything or anybody because they've always gotten everything for nothing.

Give them free houses and they complaining it's not big enough or it's not near enough to the pub or the school..free medical care isn't neough,they want valium too for "the nerves" which they can sell on..chuck rubbish everywhere? No problem Da Corpo will pick it up..they don't know any better because they were never taught any better and as this lifestyle is becoming more and more accepted so society (or at least part of it) will go further and further down the tubes.

Fully half the annual expenditure for this country is given in social welfare payments and amongst certain,ahem "groups" the unemployment rate is much much higher.

The "defence" of these people is that they cannot "afford" the 19 euro a month the bins cost as they're too strapped for cash..

I've yet to encounter anyone defending flytippers.

With their salary, if they're working, and with their welfare, if they're not. In either case, it's their income.

?

If they didn't earn it it's not their money and it's supposed to be spent on rent and the costs of finding a job,not on drink and takeaways.

I've yet to encounter anyone defending flytippers.

Local FB pages i've seen are full of them..usually the same sorts of people who give their profession as "being a full time mad bastard" or "full time mammy"..they quite literally expect the government to do everything for them.

• Advertisement

If they didn't earn it it's not their money

It's obviously their money, otherwise they have no entitlement to claim it.

Local FB pages i've seen are full of them.

I doubt it.

It's obviously their money, otherwise they have no entitlement to claim it.

How do they generate this money then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod: MysticMonk do not post in this thread again until you are able to maintain the minimal level of civility. Do not respond to this message in thread. Two posts removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭oceanman

Compared to privately renting or privately purchasing it's pretty close to being free.
    The thing you seem to overlook is that those who can afford to purchase privately are left with a substantial asset at the end of the day....those who rent, either privately or from a local authority don't!

oceanman wrote:
    The thing you seem to overlook is that those who can afford to purchase privately are left with a substantial asset at the end of the day....those who rent, either privately or from a local authority don't!

Thats up to them..you make your own choices in this life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭oceanman

Thats up to them..you make your own choices in this life.
    that's true, but I was just pointing out that you cant compare apples with oranges, some people prefer to own their own home while others don't, either way both have their advantages and disadvantages..

oceanman wrote: »
    that's true

Thing is... it’s actually not. There’s nowhere that everyone can afford, or have the opportunity, to buy their own home. It’s patently out of reach for many in this city currently.

Thing is... it’s actually not. There’s nowhere that everyone can afford, or have the opportunity, to buy their own home. It’s patently out of reach for many in this city currently.

Not true.

The problem is that nowadays people expect and demand to be able to live 100 yards up teh road from where they grew up or in a 500k house on the seafront or a brand-news "eco house" in a brand new estate and all this on pretty average salaries.

If you havn't got the money or the means to buy in Area A then you can choose your cloth to suit your measure and buy in Area B.

That's the nature of property-ownership i'm afraid..you buy what you can afford not what you think you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh that's bollocks.

The majority of folk are just happy to be able to get a foot on ladder, in an overpriced dogbox that's within a few hours of the job.

Christ, there's people from Dublin moving to feckin Laios just to get a house.

You bitter fantasy doesn't jive with reality.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Oh that's bollocks.

The majority of folk are just happy to be able to get a foot on ladder, in an overpriced dogbox that's within a few hours of the job.

Christ, there's people from Dublin moving to feckin Laios just to get a house.

You bitter fantasy doesn't jive with reality.

Can you not understand how it upsets people struggling to find somewhere to buy/rent, when social housing is given to people in very central locations? Should they not be housed outside the city centre, and these areas developed to suit city workers?

Can you not understand how it upsets people struggling to find somewhere to buy/rent, when social housing is given to people in very central locations? Should they not be housed outside the city centre, and these areas developed to suit city workers?

So, quit your job, go on the dole and get your free house as I said to you before.

If it's so handy, do it and quit whining.

And most social housing was built well outside the city centre.

What about all the inner-city flats complexes?

There hasn't been inner city flats built for years. Not in any numbers anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Dolphins Barn, its been pretty much demolished down to the core structure and is being rebuilt as new luxurious flats. All at the tax payers expense.

There's loads of them that are still in use. Llts of those red-brick social housing schemes too within minutes of the city centre and they werent built that long ago.

So, quit your job, go on the dole and get your free house as I said to you before.

If it's so handy, do it and quit whining.

I've worked hard abroad and saved up a deposit for a house. I got one of the last affordable houses in Dublin 5 on my budget. I'm happy and I like my job. I just feel it's really unfair on working people the way the market is now, and the way absolute wasters can live in prime locations for free. It's senseless.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Dolphins Barn, its been pretty much demolished down to the core structure and is being rebuilt as new luxurious flats. All at the tax payers expense.

Who are they giving the flats to or are they going up for sale? If they are former residents should they not be way out of the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Who are they giving the flats to or are they going up for sale? If they are former residents should they not be way out of the city centre?

They're remaining council flats, I have no idea where the previous residents are.

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »

But that was just replacing the flats that were already there.

There haven't been any new inner city builds for years as far as I know.

Advertisement