Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why there are so many junkies (chavs/knackers)in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Come on.....its the 1980s..... unemployment is 25%.....there's hunger strikes and bombs going off.....lets plan our strategy for a time when Dublin is a prime European commerical centre? I dont think so.

Hindsight is wonderful.

But even the zoning of land. And I think most of the flats etc would have been built way before the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

wakka12 wrote: »
    Also I think it really just highlights the problem when you know that Dublin GDP is amongst the highest of any urban area in europe, it is 20th most economically powerful urban area in the EU. Yet Dublins population is about 0.4% of the EU population. It punches well above its weight when compared to the population. It is an incredibly wealthy city in world terms, yet many parts of the north city centre could pass for a much much poorer nation like macedonia or something.
    It is because the richest Dubliners live in far suburbs. And the city centre is occupied by council housing

Except it isn't. It's 20% local authority housing - or 80% private housing. And our GDP is essentially artificial - the richest Dubliners really have very little to do with multinationals playing shell games with IP etc, and routing money through virtual Dublin branches - the profits never actually benefitting anyone within the city. Dublin is not poor, but it's nowhere near as wealthy as it's GDP suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Well yeah I work in the Dawson st area so it's not quite as bad. I do cycle through Amiens st etc every day though so I see the methadone carry on and pill dealing every day. They don't bother me though, I just feel bad for them, imagine that was your life it's just sad.

Cycling past and having to walk amongst them are two very different things.

Having them verbally attack you numerous times and once actually strike you and then for you to look around and see no guards and this all on Dublins Main O'Connell St.

The place has gotten worse and will continue to do so unless there's a clampdown and I doubt that'll happen. Not before something seriously bad happens to someone or a tourist that'll make the guards/courts/politicians sit up and take notice/action.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MysticMonk wrote: »
    The net result of inter-generational welfare dependency and "social" housing..and still the various governments and campaigners want to give them more free money and more free houses.

Social housing is not, never has been, and never will be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why did they decide to house everyone in the city centre anyway? Were they just tearing down old Georgian slums and putting blocks of flats etc there instead? Was there even one person thinking of the future back then?
    I often thought maybe because we were poor and everyone worth their salt emigrated lead to no one ever believing this country would actually grow and prosper so there was no point planning for the future.

Yeh, the georgian tenements were becoming dangerous and so they were replaced with these blocks which were cheap and horrible but structurally stable at least. Priority was simply alleviating the overcrowding and physical danger to those in poverty
    Im sure the whole we hate the british thing also contributed to nobody caring about any of the georgian buildings being destroyed
    Introduction of the automobile..our tiny streets jammed with car..became polluted
    Rich people emigrated to suburbs permanently
    Trams being removed which meant no public transport really
    Poverty and emigration from the country overall
    **** hole city born, voila

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

alastair wrote: »
    Except it isn't. It's 20% local authority housing - or 80% private housing. And our GDP is essentially artificial - the richest Dubliners really have very little to do with multinationals playing shell games with IP etc, and routing money through virtual Dublin branches - the profits never actually benefitting anyone within the city. Dublin is not poor, but it's nowhere near as wealthy as it's GDP suggests.

Ah right, it all makes sense now :pac:

But even the zoning of land. And I think most of the flats etc would have been built way before the 80s.

Most of the city centre flats are 1930's – 1960's vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There's definitely a lack of gardai. I was there for work on Wednesday, I had the day to myself after lunch so went shopping and the only gardai I saw all day were outside Leinster house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I would disagree that it's not due to social housing in the city centre. I live in a suburb and getting the bus into town made me wonder why so many had free travel. Turns out it's a little day trip to get methadone or drugs and meet up with mates from elsewhere (as all bus routes go into town generally) and then go back out. I was in town this week and walked from Jervis to o Connell street and back down Abbey Street. I counted at least ten little encampments. I used to work at junction of Talbot St and that was desperate.

Anyway from recollection all but about 3 methadone clinics are in.north city. There was a proposal a few years ago to have one in Castleknock. Our Taoiseach led the objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

amtc wrote: »
    Anyway from recollection all but about 3 methadone clinics are in.north city. There was a proposal a few years ago to have one in Castleknock. Our Taoiseach led the objections.

They should put a methadone clinic right beside the dail and see how the politicians like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

amtc wrote: »
    e encampments. I used to work at junction of Talbot St and that was desperate.

There is one in Coolmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I know that. But the proposed one that was objected to was supposed to be in Roselawn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

L1011 wrote: »
    Social housing is not, never has been, and never will be free.

Compared to privately renting or privately purchasing it's pretty close to being free.

Compared to privately renting or privately purchasing it's pretty close to being free.

I know 2 different girls (girlfriends of friends) who have a child, and neither of them work, and they both have social housing. One of which is in Malahide by the way, not some sh*thole.
    If they don't work how is it not free?

I know 2 different girls (girlfriends of friends) who have a child, and neither of them work, and they both have social housing. One of which is in Malahide by the way, not some sh*thole.
    If they don't work how is it not free?

Because it costs money in rent? The clue is in the outgoings - whether to a private landlord or a local authority. If you’re having to shell out, irrespective to whom, it’s not free.

Because it costs money in rent? The clue is in the outgoings - whether to a private landlord or a local authority. If you’re having to shell out, irrespective to whom, it’s not free.

God help us lads not this one again

Ok but these girls aren't paying the money to the landlord. So how is it costing them anything?

Ok but these girls aren't paying the money to the landlord. So how is it costing them anything?

They’re paying the money to the local authority or housing association. That’s a cost, just as it would be if the money was going to a private landlord.

They’re paying the money to the local authority or housing association. That’s a cost, just as it would be if the money was going to a private landlord.

What money do they pay? Money from their dole, which is given to them by the state? Just give it a rest ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Quit your whining.

Or go on the dole and get your "free house". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What money do they pay? Money from their dole, which is given to them by the state? Just give it a rest ffs.

That’s nothing to do with the reality of having to pay rent. Do you have the same issue with trust-fund kids paying rent to private landlords? The source of the money doesn’t remove from the fact of the cost. If you’ve some issue with the principle of social welfare, why not complain about that, rather than make up porkies about ‘free housing’?

That’s nothing to do with the reality of having to pay rent. Do you have the same issue with trust-fund kids paying rent to private landlords? The source of the money doesn’t remove from the fact of the cost. If you’ve some issue with the principle of social welfare, why not complain about that, rather than make up porkies about ‘free housing’?

Trust funds tend to be earned by the trustee's parents. You are deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod: quality of this discussion is heading well south and thread risks being closed if it doesn't improve.

Trust funds tend to be earned by the trustee's parents. You are deluded.

There’s still a cost of rent in both cases. No delusion necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Regardless of the source of the income.

It is a cost, paying rent to either the council or a private landlord is a reduction in disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Lux23 wrote: »
    There is one in Coolmine.

That is not a methadone clinic in Coolmine - it is a rehabilitation centre for those coming off drugs. Big difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Regardless of the source of the income.

It is a cost, paying rent to either the council or a private landlord is a reduction in disposable income.

It's a reduction in income they didn't earn in the first place...and as these stats point out,more than half of them don't even pay that!

Giving people anything for nothing in the long term is a mistake and people demanding a "right" to free housing is one of the causes of the rent crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Limerick city has its fair number of them in fairness, especially in places like Southill and Ballinacurra, going pass those places is such an eyesore they bring grest shame to that city.

It's a reduction in income they didn't earn in the first place...and as these stats point out,more than half of them don't even pay that!

Giving people anything for nothing in the long term is a mistake and people demanding a "right" to free housing is one of the causes of the rent crisis.

Once again - it's not free housing. Local authority tenants pay rent just like private landlord's tenants. And the 'unpaid rent' is not actually about a refusal to pay rent:
    “It is worth noting that the principal cause of arrears is not the nonpayment of rent but the failure of tenants to inform the housing and residential services department of changes in their personal circumstances in a timely manner.
    “This has resulted in retrospective debits being applied once the change in circumstances has been identified.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-city-council-considers-changing-rent-arrears-policy-1.2113090

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

They think theyre Entitled more then they have a right

Advertisement