Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BIK on EVs.

Options

Comments

Augeo wrote: »
    If you bring it home it's not a pool yoke and it's being used personally so therefore BIK is applicable. Lots of folk likely paying 5% on €20k yokes and they don't realise it.

I know plenty paying no BIK on passenger SUVs etc so no doubt loads in vans do the same. Easy one for revenue to ream them on someday though.

No, I have never known any van driver to pay BIK and yes they would realise this in their payslips.

If you bring the van home you're bringing it home because most of the time it's impractical to drive it back to depot and have to collect it the next morning and a lot of van drivers are all stocked up and ready to go from their homes the next morning.

No, I have never known any van driver to pay BIK and yes they would realise this in their payslips.

If you bring the van home you're bringing it home because most of the time it's impractical to drive it back to depot and have to collect it the next morning and a lot of van drivers are all stocked up and ready to go from their homes the next morning.

How many van drivers do you know? They all discuss their remuneration and BIK liabilities with you ? Every van driver you know has to bring the van home and uses it for no private use?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/benefit-in-kind-for-employers/private-use-of-company-vans/exemptions-from-bik.aspx

Exemptions from BIK
    General exemption
    Your employee will not pay tax on the benefit of a company van where:

you provide your employee with the van for work purposes and they have to bring it home afterwards
    your employee is not allowed to use the van except travelling to and from work
    your employee spends at least 80% of their working day away from your work premises.

Anyway, you are drifting wildly from your initail point
    Why don't you just get a van ? you'll have no BIK, sure it's a van but who cares ? you won't have to spend countless hours at chargers either.

BIK will be due for the chap you made that suggestion to, he's not a van driver and doesn't need a van for work. If he gets a company van instead of an company EV then 5% BIK applies regardless of what van drivers you know do or don't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Fact that nobody does it doesn't mean it is legal.

That's exactly the point. It is more practical for the driver to use the van to get to/from home. Hence they are using the vehicle for private use. There are some exemption available, but generally BIK is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Zenith74 wrote: »
    FWIW we got an email from Revenue last week to say that an employee given an electric car now will benefit from the 0% BIK rate. We have asked for further clarification as this aligns with the tax code but contradicts the Revenue FAQ on the topic.

So in your case it looks like you'd benefit from 0% BIK for two years then 22.5% for the next two years. That's still a pretty good deal, especially if you believe the 0% rate will be extended again before 2023, which personally I think it will.

Even if it isn't 0% I could see them giving a discounted rate for EVs, I doubt we'll be at the necessary levels of EVs in company vehicles by then that they can pull back all the supports

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

They can bring the van home and use it to get to/from work and not pay BIK. But if they use the van for any personal use then BIK is due.

If it can be classified as a pool van they can use it for a minimal amount of personal use, however pool vans cannot be just for a single driver and cannot be brought home regularly.

Having said that this has been broadly ignored anywhere I've ever worked. Does not make it right or legit though and I'd assume larger companies who do not want to get on the wrong side of Revenue are more likely to enforce it.

• Advertisement

How many van drivers do you know? They all discuss their remuneration and BIK liabilities with you ? Every van driver you know has to bring the van home and uses it for no private use?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/benefit-in-kind-for-employers/private-use-of-company-vans/exemptions-from-bik.aspx

Exemptions from BIK
    General exemption
    Your employee will not pay tax on the benefit of a company van where:

you provide your employee with the van for work purposes and they have to bring it home afterwards
    your employee is not allowed to use the van except travelling to and from work
    your employee spends at least 80% of their working day away from your work premises.

Anyway, you are drifting wildly from your initail point

I've known a lot of van drivers through the years and was one for some time myself, none of us ever paid BIK and neither does a friend of mine who drives a car van which is basically to the office and driving around supervising.

I also drove company vans for private use who cares ? nobody cared. I didn't abuse it.
    BIK will be due for the chap you made that suggestion to, he's not a van driver and doesn't need a van for work. If he gets a company van instead of an company EV then 5% BIK applies regardless of what van drivers you know do or don't pay.

But he does need it for visiting clients that's work.

And he will be using it privately, so hello BIK.

I also drove company vans for private use who cares ? nobody cared. I didn't abuse it. .........

That's laughable, you were liable for BIK, fair enough you didn't pay it, that doesn't mean there was no liability.

As it would not be a pool van, if he/she has any personal usage they would be liable to BIK regardless of visiting clients or anything else.

Whether they choose to pay it is a different matter, and as you say many don't, but this probably isn't the place to debate which forms of tax evasion are approved by the boards.ie EV community. :eek:

And he will be using it privately, so hello BIK.

That's laughable, you were liable for BIK, fair enough you didn't pay it, that doesn't mean there was no liability.

I'm saying no one cares if a work van is used privately, some businesses may or may not care but how's revenue going to know that someone is driving the work van to do the weekly shopping ?

No one would drive vans if they had to pay BIK because, imagine having to pay rent for your work office ? you send private emails, watch Netflix and youtube and come on boards to talk some shyte, that's all private use of the work office. Don't tell me no one does it ? yes they do but guess what ? no one cares.

I can guarantee you my mate doesn't pay BIK on his car van.

You obviously have never driven a work van.

As it would not be a pool van, if he/she has any personal usage they would be liable to BIK regardless of visiting clients or anything else.

Whether they choose to pay it is a different matter, and as you say many don't, but this probably isn't the place to debate which forms of tax evasion are approved by the boards.ie EV community. :eek:

Jesus, I'm not talking about Tax evasion before the Boards police get me ffs.

All I'm saying is that I nor anyone I have ever known or know has ever paid BIK on a work van and having to bring the van back to the depo and collect it in the morning is unpractical for most van drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I've been paying BIK on a van for years, it's taxed privately as well to cover personal usage.

air wrote: »
    I've been paying BIK on a van for years, it's taxed privately as well to cover personal usage.

That's too bad, seriously, you're letting yourself get screwed, Id hand the keys back and tell them to find someone else but that's just me.

Actually I forgot another mate who drives a work van and doesn't pay BIK. So that's Two I know personally. But they also know plenty of Van drivers who don't pay BIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

No BIK on commercial vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That's too bad, seriously, you're letting yourself get screwed, Id hand the keys back and tell them to find someone else but that's just me.

Actually I forgot another mate who drives a work van and doesn't pay BIK. So that's Two I know personally. But they also know plenty of Van drivers who don't pay BIK.

If you're so sure it is legal, report him to revenue... If that's ok, there will be nothing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

A lot of misinformation here, don't be spouting nonsense on BIK if you know nothing about it.

RTFM

grogi wrote: »
    If you're so sure it is legal, report him to revenue... If that's ok, there will be nothing out of it.

Now why would I give a sh1t that someone isn't getting raped more by the government more than they are ? fair play to them.

As I've said, I've never heard of van drivers getting charged BIK or there'd be a lot less van drivers.

eddhorse wrote: »
    A lot of misinformation here, don't be spouting nonsense on BIK if you know nothing about it.

RTFM

I take it that that was meant for me ?

So how are you going to determine A van driver isn't driving to the shop or picking a kid up from school ?

Who gives a sh1t ? no one not even the Government.

"oh I need to go to the shop and it's 10 miles away" I better walk because the Government tells me it's the Law that I walk,

Get real!

I take it that that was meant for me ?

So how are you going to determine A van driver isn't driving to the shop or picking a kid up from school ?

Who gives a sh1t ? no one not even the Government.

"oh I need to go to the shop and it's 10 miles away" I better walk because the Government tells me it's the Law that I walk,

Get real!

No it wasn't directed at you, someone else also said "no BIK on commercial vehicles".

A recent development is that Revenue are auditing companies which provide company vehicles and are assessing the companies to back-tax plus interest and penalties.

Your argument that "no ones gives a sh1t" may be true but unfortunately we have laws in this country.

If you get away with it great but there is liability there and its not advised to give other people on this thread misinformation regarding the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    No BIK on commercial vehicles.
    I'm sure you hear this a lot, but username checks out :D

eddhorse wrote: »
    No it wasn't directed at you, someone else also said "no BIK on commercial vehicles".

A recent development is that Revenue are auditing companies which provide company vehicles and are assessing the companies to back-tax plus interest and penalties.

Your argument that "no ones gives a sh1t" may be true but unfortunately we have laws in this country.

If you get away with it great but there is liability there and its not advised to give other people on this thread misinformation regarding the topic.

Look don't be talking nonsense, the Government and multinational Corporations are the greatest tax evaders known.

How are you going to tell a van driver to pay the government money for using a van to go to work who might use the van to drive to the shops at the weekend, someone who might be on low wage now has to pay more money in tax ? not going to happen I can guarantee you that because it can't be proved and you can't make someone pay for something you can't prove they use or not and no one will work for a company who has to pay for a vehicle they must use for work.

This is like asking office workers to pay rent, it's mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

The reason almost nobody in their right mind pays BIK on a company van is that it is virtually impossible to police it - is it a pool van or a one-driver van? Was that trip to the shop private use, or was the driver instructed to go to the shop to pick up a sandwich for the boss as part of his work duties? Etc. etc.

The pool van exception is the get-out-of-jail-free card in the (extremely unlikely) event company van use is audited for BIK. If the company has more than one employee, and the van insurance allows others to drive it (which pretty much all commerical policies do), then how do Revenue prove it is not a pool van? They can't is the answer.

I agree its a tricky scenario and that it's revenue's job to ascertain whether or not you are liable to pay it.

People should be aware though of the liability for electric cars will not always stay at 0% for under €50,000.

RandRuns wrote: »
    The pool van exception is the get-out-of-jail-free card in the (extremely unlikely) event company van use is audited for BIK. If the company has more than one employee, and the van insurance allows others to drive it (which pretty much all commerical policies do), then how do Revenue prove it is not a pool van? They can't is the answer.

A pool van cannot be taken home regularly or it is not a pool van, not that complex tbh.

A pool van cannot be taken home regularly or it is not a pool van, not that complex tbh.

It's not though.

The legislation laying out what a pool van is or isn't says:

a) the vehicle is available to, and actually used by, more than one of the
    employees concerned,
    b) in the case of each employee, the vehicle is made available to him or her by
    reason of the employment,
    c) the vehicle is not ordinarily used by any one employee to the exclusion of the
    others,
    d) in the case of each of the employees concerned, any private use of the
    vehicle made by him or her is merely incidental to his or her business use,
    and
    e) the vehicle is not normally kept overnight at or in the vicinity of any of the
    employees’ homes.

How is this proven? Do you imagine that Revenue have crack squads following employees home, and then sitting outside all night to check if the van is kept overnight? And even if they did, how do they prove this is normally done, and wasn't a once- or twice-off event due to early morning starts etc?

It is complex, and thus unworkable. It is designed to be unworkable, so that businesses can function, and revenue can turn a blind eye.

....... Don't tell me no one does it ? yes they do but guess what ? no one cares.

I can guarantee you my mate doesn't pay BIK on his car van.

You obviously have never driven a work van.

Bla bla.... You don't need to have driven a work van to understand BIK & tax evasion.

There are multiple reputable businesses ensuring their employees pay 5% bik on their work van as the van is used privately.

The reason almost nobody in their right mind pays BIK on a company van is that it is virtually impossible to police it - is it a pool van or a one-driver van? Was that trip to the shop private use, or was the driver instructed to go to the shop to pick up a sandwich for the boss as part of his work duties? Etc. etc.

Revenue need to prove nothing, the onus is on who is being audited to prove there tax affairs are in order. Revenue are sort of awkward to deal with.

Look don't be talking nonsense, the Government and multinational Corporations are the greatest tax evaders known.

How are you going to tell a van driver to pay the government money for using a van to go to work who might use the van to drive to the shops at the weekend, someone who might be on low wage now has to pay more money in tax ? not going to happen I can guarantee you that because it can't be proved and you can't make someone pay for something you can't prove they use or not and no one will work for a company who has to pay for a vehicle they must use for work.

This is like asking office workers to pay rent, it's mental.

Anyone on a low wage would be delighted to pay 5% bik on a 20k van if they didn't need to run their own car. It'd be about €6/week out of their pocket.

Revenue need to prove nothing, the onus is on who is being audited to prove there tax affairs are in order. Revenue are sort of awkward to deal with.

I know, I've been dealing with them for years.

It's quite simple to cover BIK on company vans

"All XYZ Ltd. vans are pool vans, available for use by any relevent employee, and are used for normal business in the course of the employee's work"

Done.

I know, I've been dealing with them for years.

It's quite simple to cover BIK on company vans

"All XYZ Ltd. vans are pool vans, available for use by any relevent employee, and are used for normal business in the course of the employee's work"

Done.

Where are they kept at night etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I and everyone else in my company has been paying (small) BIK on company vans for years. Companies can either apply it or choose to ignore the law and take their chances they will duck a Revenue audit. Let's ignore the misinformation and the deliberately argumentative posters and focus on BIK of EVs...

Advertisement