Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BIK on EVs.

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

The temporary universal relief of €10,000 to the Original Market Value in relation to the Benefit in Kind regime for company cars is being extended for another year.

Minister McGrath said that "in order to encourage the use of electric vehicles for company car purposes, I am temporarily suspending the tapering of the preferential BIK relief. I am therefore maintaining the existing €35,000 Original Market Value".

So if I read that correctly the existing BIK relief of €35,000 will remain and in addition the additional €10,000 relief also applies resulting in an effective €45,000 relief. So no additional BIK for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Does the accelerated capital allowance still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭rocketspocket

it does but can't see any point of this if you're keeping the car for less than 8 years as you have to play claw-back if you sell before then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It's only clawed back if sold at a profit i.e. more than the TWDV. The car restricted value of 24k still a pain in the nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭wassie

Can you not just sell it to yourself at 24K, then onsell it for a higher amount as a work around, or have Revenue got that covered?

That's tax evasion so yes they do.

Fair point and I'm not advocating for such. But equally, its not evasion if you sold it to yourself with the intention to keep it, only to have a change in circumstances that warrants selling the car.

It has to be sold at market value.

Then that really is a 'pain in the nuts'....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭rocketspocket

which is what happened to me as sold the car within 3 years so the allowance i got up front exceeded what i traded the car in at.. I don't fully understand it but my accountant said that if i plan to trade it in within 3-4 years then don't take the accelerated depreciation.

Advertisement