Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BIK on EVs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

jordan191 wrote: »
    If you but a new ev car, through your company you can claim back 20% of the vat back as long as 60% of your annual mileage is for company driving, so on a new say model 3 it's approx 2 grand vat back, ACA is worth another 3 k

can't see that many people did 60% business in 2020..

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I did in mine, I'm an engineer doing about 500km a week for work, construction never really stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You cannot really do private mileage now, while work is still allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

We received further clarity from Revenue on the BIK for electric vehicles and it is disappointing -

In relation to your query the electric car must have been made available to the Employee in the tax year 2020. If this is the case the exemption remains in place until 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How do you see BIK costs in 2023 when it moves to business milage and emissions. I think it's positive, will no longer be based on the new price of the car, opens up a lot more options for buying a used electric and diesel/petrol electric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

Zenith74 wrote: »
    We received further clarity from Revenue on the BIK for electric vehicles and it is disappointing -

In relation to your query the electric car must have been made available to the Employee in the tax year 2020. If this is the case the exemption remains in place until 2022.

What was your actual wording of your query if you don't mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

So they are saying that if an employee get's an EV now (2021) that they are liable for BIK as they would be on an ICE car?

lafors wrote: »
    So they are saying that if an employee get's an EV now (2021) that they are liable for BIK as they would be on an ICE car?

Yes.

Yes.

Only on the value over 50k though?

Yes.

That is huge, this is not clear.

The latest official document on it we have is part 05 05-04-02 (below)

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-05/05-04-02.pdf

FYI this is the document linked on the Revenues own site also.

In this document page 12-15 covers Electric Cars.
    There is no reference directly to cars supplied in 2021 except in table in 1.4.3 which lists
    "Electric vehicle first made available to the employee either prior to 10 October 2017 or on or after 10 October 2018"
    Tax treatment for 2021 - "Full BIK exemption"
    (note also covers partial relief for >50k OMSP)

The image that was being originally referred to with 2020 date is on the revenue site here....
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/benefit-in-kind-for-employers/private-use-of-company-cars/exemptions.aspx
    That was published on 07 January 2020.

The document I link above was published on 14 July 2020, so one would assume (revenue and assume don't mix) that the document is valid.

FYI our company has quite a lot of people on electric company cars at this stage ~10+ and our accountants agree with the part 05 05-04-02 document.

I'd like to see the wording also Zenith if you don't mind :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

lafors wrote: »
    FYI our company has quite a lot of people on electric company cars at this stage ~10+ and our accountants agree with the part 05 05-04-02 document.

They would be OK though since they presumably all got their company EV's prior to 31/12/2020 and so are exempt until 31/12/2021 at which time a new BIK scheme is to be introduced.

If they got it as a 211 reg then it looks like they have an issue.

I'll agree though that this one reference on the revenue site to 31 Dec 2020 has been a source of confusion on the forum. Its been discussed a few time already.

Only on the value over 50k though?

No, they're saying the 0% BIK exemption is not available to anybody new at this point, you had to have the car before 2021.

I personally think they're misinterpreting the tax code, but we asked them to clarify the position a second time and got the response mentioned above.

I didn't personally make the enquiry, I'll try to get the exact wording though.

KCross wrote: »
    They would be OK though since they presumably all got their company EV's prior to 31/12/2020 and so are exempt until 31/12/2021 at which time a new BIK scheme is to be introduced.
    Small correction, they're exempt until 31/12/2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Keggers74

How do you see BIK costs in 2023 when it moves to business milage and emissions. I think it's positive, will no longer be based on the new price of the car, opens up a lot more options for buying a used electric and diesel/petrol electric.

Interested in your reference to "will no longer be based on the new price of the car,".

I had thought it was still going to be Original Market Value x X%, with X% being anywhere between 9% and 37.5% and based on business mileage and emissions? In which case the new price of the car remains just as relevant?

I personally think they're misinterpreting the tax code...

It does seem that way alright.

When the exemption was first floated they limited it to 1 year and there was alot of pushback as people dont buy company cars for one year so they extended it in the next budget to 3 years which took it to 31/12/2021 and further extended it to 2022 in the following budget.

The idea then was that a new BIK regime would be brought into play in 2023.

Having a "gap year" where no one can buy new EV's and get the BIK exemption makes no sense and is counter productive to government policy of encouraging EV uptake. Until they put it in black and white and change the revenue website you are taking a big chance buying a 211 and expecting the BIK exemption.

Keggers74 wrote: »
    Interested in your reference to "will no longer be based on the new price of the car,".

I had thought it was still going to be Original Market Value x X%, with X% being anywhere between 9% and 37.5% and based on business mileage and emissions? In which case the new price of the car remains just as relevant?

Nope car value has nothing to do with what's coming in 2023. Business milage and emissions only.

Income tax
    The BIK charge on company cars will change from 2023, and will be based on C02 emission levels and business mileage as opposed to a car’s value.
    The BIK rate on company vans is to be increased from 5% to 8% from 2023.
    Qualifying expenditure on business cars to be determined by CO2 emissions thresholds from 1 January 2021.
    https://www.grantthornton.ie/insights/blogs/finance-bill-2019/

Nope car value has nothing to do with what's coming in 2023. Business milage and emissions only.

Income tax
    The BIK charge on company cars will change from 2023, and will be based on C02 emission levels and business mileage as opposed to a car’s value.
    The BIK rate on company vans is to be increased from 5% to 8% from 2023.
    Qualifying expenditure on business cars to be determined by CO2 emissions thresholds from 1 January 2021.
    https://www.grantthornton.ie/insights/blogs/finance-bill-2019/

I don't think that's correct tbh.

The tax manual says -
    For the year of assessment 2023 and subsequent years, the cash equivalent of the benefit of a car shall be an amount determined by the formula—

Original market value x A

where—
    A is a percentage, based on vehicle categories as set out in Table B to this subsection

The table referred to gives you a percentage between 9% and 37.5% depending on the CO2 emissions of the vehicle and the mileage you do. Reckon that Grant Thornton site may be just poorly worded.

I think its defo a misinterpretation or the question asked was specific to a car bought in 2018.

In this revenue doc you can see the reference to Dec 2020 (top of page 19)
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/documents/notes-for-guidance/tca/part05.pdf

The text is
    Where an electric vehicle is made available to an employee during the period 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2022 and the original market value of the car does not exceed €50,000, no amount shall be treated as emoluments.

Where an electric vehicle is made available to an employee during the period 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2020 is an electric vehicle:
    • the original market value of the car exceeds €50,000, and
    • the car was first made available to the employee during the period 10 October
    2017 to 9 October 2018
    no amount shall be treated as emoluments.

Where an electric vehicle is made available during the period 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2022 and the original market value of the car exceeds €50,000, the cash equivalent of the car shall be computed on the original market value of the car reduced by €50,000.

It looks like the Dec 2020 requirement is specific to those people who bought EV's worth more than €50k back in 2017/2018.... they are fully exempt from BIK to the full value of the car upto Dec 2020.

When they then introduced the €50k cap they introduced the first paragraph into the Finance Act and that specifically says Dec 2022.

Full text showing all the context is also here and I'd imagine the Chartered accountants would have it correct...
    https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/taxsource/1997/en/act/pub/0039/sec0121.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

Stupid question, but if it is to be based on CO2 emissions and they are so low, will the BIK still continue to be significantly lower than a Diesel / Hybrid equivalent (albeit not Zero)?

boccy23 wrote: »
    Stupid question, but if it is to be based on CO2 emissions and they are so low, will the BIK still continue to be significantly lower than a Diesel / Hybrid equivalent (albeit not Zero)?

I think that would be a given. Government policy is to encourage low-emission vehicles and BIK will play a part in that.

There might not be a huge difference though between EV and hybrid since hybrids (particularly PHEV's) have low emissions.

I guess we'll need to wait until the budget of 2022 to see the fine detail of that new BIK regime though.

If they got it as a 211 reg then it looks like they have an issue.

I'll agree though that this one reference on the revenue site to 31 Dec 2020 has been a source of confusion on the forum. Its been discussed a few time already.

Unfortunately not, and I'm one of those unfortunates, my current car is going back this month.
    I got it 3 years go in 2018 and was covered by the 0% BIK. I don't have an option except to change. The way I see it is that I hope they cop on and keep it the same for at least this year. If I were to get a ICE car I'd be paying BIK anyway so I'll swallow that bitter pill if it comes along.
    Personally after having an EV for the last 3 years I couldn't see myself going back to an ICE, the EV is just too good (classic big engined V8/V10/V12 are exempt from that statement ;) )

• Advertisement

I don't think that's correct tbh.

Deloitte says the same thing and it was published this year..

−New rules to be introduced from 1 January 2023 in relation
    to company vehicles
    −Will apply 5 different categories depending on Co2 emissions
    −Calculates the BIK based on the category of the vehicle and
    the business mileage
    −BIK charge will be calculated at between 9% and 37.5%
    −Currently calculated at between 5% and 30%
    −Exemption for electric vehicles will be abolished

I think its defo a misinterpretation or the question asked was specific to a car bought in 2018.

In this revenue doc you can see the reference to Dec 2020 (top of page 19)
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/documents/notes-for-guidance/tca/part05.pdf

The text is
    Where an electric vehicle is made available to an employee during the period 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2022 and the original market value of the car does not exceed €50,000, no amount shall be treated as emoluments.

Where an electric vehicle is made available to an employee during the period 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2020 is an electric vehicle:
    • the original market value of the car exceeds €50,000, and
    • the car was first made available to the employee during the period 10 October
    2017 to 9 October 2018
    no amount shall be treated as emoluments.

Where an electric vehicle is made available during the period 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2022 and the original market value of the car exceeds €50,000, the cash equivalent of the car shall be computed on the original market value of the car reduced by €50,000.

It looks like the Dec 2020 requirement is specific to those people who bought EV's worth more than €50k back in 2017/2018.... they are fully exempt from BIK to the full value of the car upto Dec 2020.

When they then introduced the €50k cap they introduced the first paragraph into the Finance Act and that specifically says Dec 2022.

Full text showing all the context is also here and I'd imagine the Chartered accountants would have it correct...
    https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/taxsource/1997/en/act/pub/0039/sec0121.html
    The question 100% was not about a car bought in 2018, we were looking to make some available this year (2021) and this was the answer we were given.

That doc you've linked to is an excellent find though and backs up what was in the Finance Bill etc. The Revenue site must be wrong, but as I say if a company asks them about it they will be told they cannot 0% rate an EV given to somebody today. They might be wrong, but it's the advice finance departments are being given!

I'll send them on that document, I've also emailed the Minister and the SEAI (as they state the exemption is available on their site) to see if they can clarify it.

So you can buy one and get the 0% bik still, I'm thinking of changing to a longer range ev and I'd like to keep the 0% BIK.

So you can buy one and get the 0% bik still, I'm thinking of changing to a longer range ev and I'd like to keep the 0% BIK.

I'll report back if I hear more, in the meantime I'd be taking advice from the company accountant in writing on it. I'd imagine they'll look at the tax code and guidance notes and determine that you would be eligible for the 0%. However if they asked Revenue via the enquiry system, based on our experience they'd be told you are not eligible. I'm sure the tax code takes precedence, but I'd let the accountant make that call!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Hoping someone in a similar situation will know the below answers. Thinking of buying a Niro-E as a company car.

From what I can see as the car is less than €50K based on OMV so its BIK exempt. Is that for the life time the company owns the car or only a set period

Based on the value of this car (approx €39K) is all of the 39K vat reclaimable as I thought I read somewhere there was a cap of €24K regardless of the total value of the car

cubix wrote: »
    Hoping someone in a similar situation will know the below answers. Thinking of buying a Niro-E as a company car.

From what I can see as the car is less than €50K based on OMV so its BIK exempt. Is that for the life time the company owns the car or only a set period

Based on the value of this car (approx €39K) is all of the 39K vat reclaimable as I thought I read somewhere there was a cap of €24K regardless of the total value of the car
    Answers to those questions are discussed in the last few posts in the thread if you look up.

In short though, no not the lifetime of the car, the BIK exemption expires 2022-12-31. Also some debate over whether a car bought now would even be eligible.

I think only a fifth of the VAT is reclaimable by the way, not the whole lot!

You may also make use of the Accelerated Capital Allowance scheme if your company pays corporation tax.

You can reclaim 20% of the vat if you use it for more than 60% business. You also have the accelerated capital allowance on 24k.
    If it's under 50k should be no bik until at least 2023 but there's a bit of grey area if you read the last few posts.
    You need to keep it 2yrs for the vat and acc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

;)

Deloitte says the same thing and it was published this year..

−New rules to be introduced from 1 January 2023 in relation
    to company vehicles
    −Will apply 5 different categories depending on Co2 emissions
    −Calculates the BIK based on the category of the vehicle and
    the business mileage
    −BIK charge will be calculated at between 9% and 37.5%
    −Currently calculated at between 5% and 30%
    −Exemption for electric vehicles will be abolished

There’s no mention in the Deloitte wording of it no longer being based on the original market value of the car, their explanation is correct.

The tax code wording is very clear, it’s still going to be the original market value multiplied by a percentage figure. The difference from 2023 is that that percentage figure will be based on CO2 emissions and business mileage, rather than just business mileage.

• Advertisement

If they keep the original cost price of the car in that regime where's the incentive, battery prices won't have changed a lot by 2023 which will still make EV's expensive compared to petrol/diesel cars.
    Just looking at kpmg chart on page 6
    Someone doing 25,000km business milage in an EV will attract a bik rate of 22.5%, now even in an EV (without grants) your probably looking at 45k for a car that will do that comfortably.
    I'm not seeing any incentive to switch fuel source if they keep the original car value in the mix as the slightly lower bik rate will be offset by the higher purchase price of the car.

Advertisement