Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things Xbox One X

Options

Comments

Enhanced assets are noticeable straight away. First time I've had that wow sensation on the X :) Game feels like it is in fast forward, like when you play an old PC game on a much more powerful machine. I'd imagine it's something that my brain needs to adjust to.

But I have to admit I'm struggling to see a difference between the two modes. Think I'll stick to performance mode, I doubt I'll even notice any dips in resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Santa is delivering the X on Christmas morning and can't wait. I don't have a 4k tv question is there any point in downloading the 4k assets for my 1080p tv.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Santa is delivering the X on Christmas morning and can't wait. I don't have a 4k tv question is there any point in downloading the 4k assets for my 1080p tv.

They will download automatically. I have a One X and a 1080p screen. I will be picking up a 4K HDR monitor when ever they eventually get released as I will use it for my PC also. I am currently using a 1440p 144Hz monitor for the PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As wotzgoingon says, you don't have a choice with the X, it'll download the 4K assets automatically.

You will, however, get the benefit from them though, as it'll just look a lot better. Not as good as on a 4K screen mind you, but I still noticed it on my old 1080 screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Digital foundry did a good video about this a few months back. They explained that 4K assets aren't really assets rendered in 4K. They are just higher quality assets. So even at 1080p you will see a big improvement.

• Advertisement

Anyone having issues using mac reservation for IP addressing for the X?

I will sit on the first one available so I'll reserve that one, reboot and it will go to the next none completely ignoring the fact I've set the mac reservation on the router. I can reserve a higher address which I do for devices but it still just takes the first available address from the IP pool.

I've double checked I'm using the correct MAC address, in all likely hood it will continue to take the same address everytime without the reservation just annoying it won't accept the mac reserved address.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I will sit on the first one available so I'll reserve that one, reboot and it will go to the next none completely ignoring the fact I've set the mac reservation on the router. I can reserve a higher address which I do for devices but it still just takes the first available address from the IP pool.

I've double checked I'm using the correct MAC address, in all likely hood it will continue to take the same address everytime without the reservation just annoying it won't accept the mac reserved address.

I haven't set it up with a MAC reservation, so I'm no help there, but can I ask why? Just curious. Is it just the same as a static IP, but just from the other end?

It sounds like you might be mixing up mac and IP reservation.
    Are you saying your IP reservation in your router settings uses a mac address also?

Do you have the Xbox set to manual IP?

It sounds like you might be mixing up mac and IP reservation.
    Are you saying your IP reservation in your router settings uses a mac address also?

Do you have the Xbox set to manual IP?

Yeah I set it to issue a specific IP addresses based on a mac addess, everything else get an address from dhcp.

Shouldn't have to touch the settings on the xbox as far as it's concerned it's still getting a dhcp assigned address. I set reservations for anything I need to connect to or forward ports to. Just saves having to configure on the host side, and for ports obviously it has to get the same address everytime or it won't work.

Everything else works fine, tried with my phone to check it's not something I've configured incorrectly and that works fine, OG xbox was fine too. Just for some reason the one x refuses to take a reserved address for some reason.....................................

and I'm an idiot I just realised now I'm looking at it again I was putting in the wired mac and not the wireless one :o

Yeah I set it to issue a specific IP addresses based on a mac addess, everything else get an address from dhcp.

Shouldn't have to touch the settings on the xbox as far as it's concerned it's still getting a dhcp assigned address. I set reservations for anything I need to connect to or forward ports to. Just saves having to configure on the host side, and for ports obviously it has to get the same address everytime or it won't work.

Set your Xbox to use manual IP address. The one you have reserved in your router settings. In an ideal world a router would do everything its supposed to. However.....:P

• Advertisement

Well got my X from santa this morning pretty seamless setup and all went well. Did the whole network transfer for my main games, CODWW2, BF2, Division, Elite, Minecraft. A bit of boasting here (sorry:o)but useful info, but it was no faster(even a bit slower) than my FTTH 1Gbs fibre connection with the the transfer speeds around 200mbs average. Still took an hour or two to get my main games transferred. My first impressions are is I like the way MS have done it, no difference in the UI, dashboard etc the only difference is with games, COD omg it's as smooth as butter but higher detail. I'm only on s 1080p tv but I can see how much smoother and how much more detail there is. Doesn't drop a frame at all, kids are playing Star wars battlefront 2 and that's amazing too.

Happy Xmas all

kids are playing Star wars battlefront 2 and that's amazing too.

Congrats on the new X.

Can i ask are they setup as child accounts? Any problems playing multiplayer?

Mine are getting "error 524 this account cannot play online" of course nobody in EA support knows what error 524 is. People seem to think it's an age restriction on child accounts, that EA ignore parental permissions and flat out ban child accounts. But then there are some who say child accounts work fine.

This is driving me insane. Digital download too so the child account has ownership.

Fwiw, game looks stunning on the X.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Congrats on the new X.

Mine are getting "error 524 this account cannot play online" of course nobody in EA support knows what error 524 is. People seem to think it's an age restriction on child accounts, that EA ignore parental permissions and flat out ban child accounts. But then there are some who say child accounts work fine.

This is driving me insane. Digital download too so the child account has ownership.

It seems to be a common issue going by the EA forum but EA won't answer anyone's queries, have you tried this solution:
    If you choose to trust your son, follow these instructions to change his account to an adult account that is still in your Microsoft family.

1. Go to your account at account.microsoft.com

2. Select privacy settings and from the three bar drop-down on the left select family. You should see his account there

3.Remove him from the family.

4.Select add new member and choose the adult selection

5.Invite him with his Microsoft email

6.Accept the invite and he should be able to play!

Hope this Helped

Edit: make sure his ea account is set to the rating of the game eg. 16 or 18

If that doesn't work I think your only options might be create a new stand alone adult account for your son or get on to Microsoft and ask for a refund(if you bought the game digitally)

Congrats on the new X.

Yes I had this problem for ages the problem is it takes into account the age of you kids from their EA account and MS account. So when you are setting up their EA account and you put in their DOB make sure they are over 16 on this as well as their MS account. It doesn't matter what open restrictions you put on your family setting but when EA or MS see that the game is over 16 they wont let them play it if they are not over this age. I had to set up all new accounts for my kids (12 &14) with DOB making them 16.

Once you have this done then you should be good to go. You can make them 18 also but that will allow them to play GTA and go strip clubs etc in the game so I decided against that....:p

Thanks guys. Man that's bad, so it's for all 16+ games?! He has a well established gamerscore he's not going to be happy having to switch accounts. You've got to wonder what's the point in the parental controls if they are going to just enforce it based on DOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Thanks guys. Man that's bad, so it's for all 16+ games?! He has a well established gamerscore he's not going to be happy having to switch accounts. You've got to wonder what's the point in the parental controls if they are going to just enforce it based on DOB.

its not really that mad its basically the same as trying to walk into GameStop at 10 years and buy a 16s game they won't sell it you

dunworth1 wrote: »
    its not really that mad its basically the same as trying to walk into GameStop at 10 years and buy a 16s game they won't sell it you

Well they sold it to him and let him install it and play single player, which has the except same 16+ rated content. I don't see why they should do my parenting for me. It serves no purpose whatsoever except to piss people off. What they are doing is encouraging parents to setup adult accounts for their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Well they sold it to him and let him install it and play single player, which has the except same 16+ rated content. I don't see why they should do my parenting for me. It serves no purpose whatsoever except to piss people off. What they are doing is encouraging parents to setup adult accounts for their children.

In fairness there are some really nasty people online. Whether they are genuinely messed up or just trolls. I've gotten some seriously fkd up messages which I've laughed off. Unprovoked too as i don't use a mic.

erkifino wrote: »
    In fairness there are some really nasty people online. Whether they are genuinely messed up or just trolls. I've gotten some seriously fkd up messages which I've laughed off. Unprovoked too as i don't use a mic.
    Which proves my point: that's what the parental controls are for. I have it set to block all communication. Something he will be able to unblock if I have to give him an adult account in order to play a Star Wars (Disney) game.

Anyway sorry, we're in an Xbox One X forum so I'll stop my off topic moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

erkifino wrote: »

I keep getting messages off some guy who tried to hack me in Watch Dogs and failed.

I don't even know the guy. Stupid stuff like 'Get rekt', 'ohhhhh', '?', 'y' etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Upgraded to the X yesterday and has been nothing but a pain.

2 of my 3 games won't install from the disc. Installation keeps stopping. I'm not even trying to install the updates at the same time, and I've tried all the other troubleshooting steps.

Have I got a dud console or have other people had this hassle with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

2 of my 3 games won't install from the disc. Installation keeps stopping. I'm not even trying to install the updates at the same time, and I've tried all the other troubleshooting steps.

Why didn't you do a network transfer? It's much quicker.

The X could be trying to download patches at the same time as it's installing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Disconnect the xbox from the internet and try installing. If there are issues during that then bring it back and get a replacement. There’s no reason you should be having those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Anyone have a Vertical stand from there project scorpio edition that they're not using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I'm guessing these games are on an external hard drive or being moved from one drive to the internal?

If so, it happened to me when I got mine and the only way to sort it is to uninstall and reinstall the affected games.

Painful I know but it's only with some games

My Xbox One X died over Christmas. The dashboard would slow to a crawl followed with a black screen. It finally wouldn't boot at all.

I brought it into Gamestop who explained I only have 30 day warranty on the console then it defaults to Xbox for the rest of year. I explained that's not correct and I told them that Gamestop have to refund, replace or repair. A more senior staff member heard me and offered to replace it.

This isn't the first time I have heard Gamestop trying to pull this with customers. They are clearly being trained to push defective hardware back to the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

My Xbox One X died over Christmas. The dashboard would slow to a crawl followed with a black screen. It finally wouldn't boot at all.

I brought it into Gamestop who explained I only have 30 day warranty on the console then it defaults to Xbox for the rest of year. I explained that's not correct and I told them that Gamestop have to refund, replace or repair. A more senior staff member heard me and offered to replace it.

This isn't the first time I have heard Gamestop trying to pull this with customers. They are clearly being trained to push defective hardware back to the manufacturer.

You were dead right!

Harvey norman and Smyths are starting this as well and I have heard of certain types of electrical goods in argos, being treated the same way.

Fact remains, your contract is with them and theirs is with the manufacturer.

Well done on getting a result too.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

I witnessed symths in Cork saying the same to a customer before Xmas when selling a ps4. Can't understand why they are trying this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Mine has started doing the same. I contacted GS and they gave me the same 30 day shpeal. I bought mine on launch day so it around 40-50 days old. I have been trying to get support from Microsoft but its painfully slow, so I am going to take it back to GS on Monday.

Was yours outside of the 30 day period? And did you get a replacement?
    Finally is there some consumer law I need to quote explaining that my contract is with them and not MS?

Ta,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

OK, got GOW4 to install at second time of asking, but Project Cars 2 flat out refused to install fully. Got to 41% first time, 75% the second time but just wouldn't fully install. Worked around it by installing it from the Microsoft Store while the disc was inserted, which allows the game to be downloaded from the store as opposed to the disc.

Games seem to play fine, but I'll be keeping a close eye for any other issues.

Advertisement