Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Ah yes. Having a Barbarians game, whose ethos is to go out and get wasted during the week of the game, was definitely a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Buer wrote: »
    I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the room when that was decided.

"Hey, you know what this season needs? More games! Lets make them late in the season too!"

In fairness it’s the most likely Lions game to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Wayne Barnes has tested positive for covid so obviously won't be reffing the premiership final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Baabaasgate, the truth is out.

Robshaw and a group of Saracens players, including veterans Richard Wigglesworth, Jackson Wray and Sean Maitland, left the team hotel in Mayfair on Wednesday night without the permission of team officials to go for a meal at an Italian restaurant.”

Its par for the course for Robshaw and Sarries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Until Ferg is confirmed to have not been involved, I'm going to avoid taking the high ground here...

... once/if he is, then full on high horse mode can be engaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

OldRio wrote: »

Robshaw and a group of Saracens players, including veterans Richard Wigglesworth, Jackson Wray and Sean Maitland, left the team hotel in Mayfair on Wednesday night without the permission of team officials to go for a meal at an Italian restaurant.”

Saracens: The gift that keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I voted for Dusautoir as player of the decade, Ashton's try against Australia as try of the decade and Magali Harvey's try as women's try of the decade.

Haven't watched enough 7s or women's rugby, so I didn't vote in the other categories.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mmmm, Magali Harvey. Hard not to love everything about her.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,005 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mmmm, Magali Harvey. Hard not to love everything about her.

She got my vote too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Saracens: The gift that keeps on giving.

They are to rugby what Millwall was to football in the 1970s and 1980s.

"We are Saracens. Nobody likes us and we don't f*cking care."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

David Pocock has retired. The best player over the ball I've ever seen and one of the all time greats. He's only 32 as well. He played in the most physically demanding position in rugby and picked up a lot of injuries.

On the topic of Australian opensides, they've had an almost unbroken run of world class players. George Smith to David Pocock to Michael Hooper. The careers of all three overlapped too. Which is pretty incredible.

https://twitter.com/pocockdavid/status/1319522303374286848?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Whatever about the club and players that - according to the great rugby guru Gerry Thornley - we are all expected to hate [although my understanding is that we are still allowed to give Mark McCall a free pass], in what way is this incident "par for the course" for Robshaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Clegg wrote: »
    David Pocock has retired. The best player over the ball I've ever seen and one of the all time greats. He's only 32 as well. He played in the most physically demanding position in rugby and picked up a lot of injuries.

On the topic of Australian opensides, they've had an almost unbroken run of world class players. George Smith to David Pocock to Michael Hooper. The careers of all three overlapped too. Which is pretty incredible.

https://twitter.com/pocockdavid/status/1319522303374286848?s=19

Everyone who retires nowadays is considered to be an all time great.

That currency is pretty devalued. He was good. Lots of players are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Whatever about the club and players that - according to the great rugby guru Gerry Thornley - we are all expected to hate [although my understanding is that we are still allowed to give Mark McCall a free pass], in what way is this incident "par for the course" for Robshaw?

Robshaw?
    I'm not one for gossip but I have friends who are neighbours of the Robshaws. 'Par for course' is all I'm saying.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,005 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pelezico wrote: »

not many "good" players get nominated for world player of the year on 3 separate occasions.

in fact only 5 others players hold that honour
    O driscoll, McCaw, Carter, O Farrell and B Barrett

not bad company to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »
    They are to rugby what Millwall was to football in the 1970s and 1980s.

"We are Saracens. Nobody likes us and we don't f*cking care."

Stephen Jones (I know I know) wrote about them a few weeks past in the Sunday times and to be fair to them they have done a lot for the local community as a club.
    From youth foundations to helping ex prisoners find employment etc it seemed to paint them in a decent enough light.
    Their wage policy though was a joke but outside of that a lot of clubs could do worse than implement some of their better ideas. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

https://twitter.com/therugbypaper/status/1319628669179072514

Reporting the Baabaas/England game is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

mfceiling wrote: »
    Stephen Jones (I know I know) wrote about them a few weeks past in the Sunday times and to be fair to them they have done a lot for the local community as a club.
    From youth foundations to helping ex prisoners find employment etc it seemed to paint them in a decent enough light.
    Their wage policy though was a joke but outside of that a lot of clubs could do worse than implement some of their better ideas. No?

And remember some of their terrible ones. Piping music over the speakers to drown out opposition supporters. The pathetic fat lady nonsense. The ticket refund stunt re Gavin Henson.

There are plenty of reasons that people dislike the club even before the salary cap stuff.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    not many "good" players get nominated for world player of the year on 3 separate occasions.

in fact only 5 others players hold that honour
    O driscoll, McCaw, Carter, O Farrell and B Barrett

not bad company to be in

If you want to make a god out of this lad go ahead. He never won much and was injured all the time. Never rated BOD.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »

Millwall also found employment for some ex-cons although that was generally on the pitch.

Ah, I'm being something of a sh*t stirrer. I think nobody would give a f*ck about Saracens breaking the salary cap if they didn't beat Munster and Leinster in recent years. The French wage bills are comfortably the biggest but nobody has mentioned them since Toulon won the European Champions Cup. Odd that.

In relation to their community involvement, Saracens aren't thick. They're very savvy in their dealings off the field and know that to become the club they want to be and generate the support they desperately want, they have to reach out to those around and they've been excellent at that. Irish rugby is quite good at it but probably not in the same approach in terms of outreach to the less fortunate.

Robshaw?
    I'm not one for gossip but I have friends who are neighbours of the Robshaws. 'Par for course' is all I'm saying.

So the Robshaws really enjoy eating in Italian restaurants? I am shocked to my core.

I think Pocock is someone who re-defined the standard for his position though. Pocock was the one everyone looked to as the best of the best. He used to get turnovers he had absolutely no right get due to his unique body shape and centre of gravity.

I'll put it this way, I would normally never notice a number 7 in rugby but he stood out multiple times in every game it seemed like.

molloyjh wrote: »

Piping music over the speakers to drown out opposition supporters.

In all fairness that was a welcome contribution to World Rugby Culture which I fully supported!

Few things on earth make me want to projectile vomit more than hearing a crowd of overweight tomatoes tunelessly singing The Fields of Athenry or Stand up and Sh1te. In terms of utterly nauseating, they come second only to the haka.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

In all fairness that was a welcome contribution to World Rugby Culture which I fully supported!

Few things on earth make me want to projectile vomit more than hearing a crowd of overweight tomatoes tunelessly singing The Fields of Athenry or Stand up and Sh1te. In terms of utterly nauseating, they come second only to the haka.

Well this post is.......unnecessary.

Although it doesn't make me wonder yet again why some people seem to wallow so much in misery & spite. It can't be healthy.

Chill out man.....

Few things on earth make me want to projectile vomit more than hearing a crowd of overweight tomaytoes tunelessly singing The Fields of Athenry or Stand up and Sh1te. In terms of utterly nauseating, they come second only to the haka.

What sickens my hole is the silence when opposition players kicking for goal.

This is Munster..spiritual home of rugby nonsense...really hole sickening behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So Robshaw issues a grovelling proforma apology a the same moment the match is ****ing well cancelled. What an absolute bunch of ****wits to a man.

I know you can't fine a Barbarian, but really if these 12 guys want to be taken seriously again they should be donating many thousands of pounds to some effort to support the front line or furloughed workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If you want to make a god out of this lad go ahead. He never won much and was injured all the time. Never rated BOD.

OK...I'll bite for the craic...you never rated BOD??

Care to explain why?

I'll put it this way, I would normally never notice a number 7 in rugby but he stood out multiple times in every game it seemed like.

I would have thought that a top class No. 7 is often the most noticeable player on the field. McCaw, Dusautoir, Warburton, McCaw, Pocock etc. All of them were probably the most celebrated and marked men in their teams for a number of seasons at their peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Larbre34 wrote: »
    So Robshaw issues a grovelling proforma apology a the same moment the match is ****ing well cancelled. What an absolute bunch of ****wits to a man.

I know you can't fine a Barbarian, but really if these 12 guys want to be taken seriously again they should be donating many thousands of pounds to some effort to support the front line or furloughed workers.

Its crazy. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

We criticise amateurs for doing it, but these guys are professionals and we aren't talking about a bunch of 22 year old either. Their actions won't help the Barbarians brand.

Sadly I think the Barbarians are probably past their sell by date anyway in the professional era.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement