Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think Haha is a fellow kiwi. We're doing alright on the covid front ðŸ˜

Though living in this corner of the world for the foreseeable.

I'm suprised a saffa would get defensive about my comment, in my experience most South Africans from all backgrounds and persuasions tend to agree with that assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cheetahs just after beating the Bulls 19 - 17 in their own internal competition.
    Cheetahs must not be too bad afterall. Bulls had Steyn and Vermuelen playing.

They might be some nice games televised around our own peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Zzippy wrote: »
    My old club played a Junior F hurling final (Division 10!)!

More importantly....did they win?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    More importantly....did they win?

Of course they did! ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So Caleb Clarke has been promising big things this year. Safe to say he's arrived on the international scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The ABs have a better winning record at Twickenham and Newlands than Wellington (Caketin). Eden Park on the other hand...

So Caleb Clarke has been promising big things this year. Safe to say he's arrived on the international scene.

Injury enforced yet almost everyone could see he was an obvious pick. Feel sorry for Bridge but he must have been the least exciting AB 11 for a long time. Clarke isn't massive but he has incredible power and perhaps more importantly, has the desire to squeeze out every last drop of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

hahashake wrote: »
    Injury enforced yet almost everyone could see he was an obvious pick. Feel sorry for Bridge but he must have been the least exciting AB 11 for a long time. Clarke isn't massive but he has incredible power and perhaps more importantly, has the desire to squeeze out every last drop of it.

Loved his work rate. One incident that stood out for me was when Clarke cleaned up a loose ball near the touchline and with 2 Aussies on him, he not only kept away from the touchline, he actually pushed infield and upfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

New Zealand and the Aussies looking very sharp, no doubt South Africa will be strong too although how they survive almost 2 years without a test game will be interesting. Hard to see a non SH world cup win in 2023

There's a fly on the wall doc out on South Africa's 2019 world cup win but so hard to find. Chasing the sun its called

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There's a fly on the wall doc out on South Africa's 2019 world cup win but so hard to find. Chasing the sun its called
    Most interesting part for me would be the build and reaction the pool game against the ABs. Both teams wanted to avoid Ireland in the quarter and both assumed a win in that game would be enough - not to mention no team had a lost a pool game and then went on to win the whole thing. We know how that turned out (on all fronts) but it was a completely different perspective at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hahashake wrote: »
    Most interesting part for me would be the build and reaction the pool game against the ABs. Both teams wanted to avoid Ireland in the quarter and both assumed a win in that game would be enough - not to mention no team had a lost a pool game and then went on to win the whole thing. We know how that turned out (on all fronts) but it was a completely different perspective at the time.

Looking forward too watching it when I hopefully find the series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Delighted, very good player. I'd still keep Mikele-tui as the 8 but put Himeno in at 6.

Still need a head coach though

And it’s the Brown-Meister...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,006 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

swiwi_ wrote: »
    And it’s the Brown-Meister...

Sense of inevitable

It will be interesting to see who he gets around him.
    Mauger and hammett are big presences to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

To lift the spirits and for something to look forward....

This weekend consists of wall to wall Rugby.

Friday to Monday.

Six Nations, Pro14, Internationals, Women's Six Nations, Super Rugby, Mitre10, Bermuda 10s (?) and the English Premiership Final featuring Exeter v whoever.

Lions to play Japan at Murrayfield in June.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clegg wrote: »
    This is an interesting award, but the idea is flawed. McCaw and Carter are the two best players I've ever seen. But both were finished as test players in 2015, halfway through the decade. Same with Dusautoir. The winner really should be Read or Retallick. Consistently great performers over a decade.

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1316666222260506625?s=19

I see Sexton is leading this, proof that putting these things to a public vote is absolutely daft. The Leinster twitter was even promoting people to vote for him!

While Sexton is a great player, labelling him as player of the decade is a laughable notion, particularly when you consider what the other candidates were.

awec wrote: »
    I see Sexton is leading this, proof that putting these things to a public vote is absolutely daft. The Leinster twitter was even promoting people to vote for him!

While Sexton is a great player, labelling him as player of the decade is a laughable notion, particularly when you consider what the other candidates were.

basing it on honours in the decade then sexton would be right up there

Grand slam : 2018
    6 Nations: 2014,2015, 2018
    HC winner 2011, 2012, 2018
    Challenge Cup: 2013
    Celtic league: 2013, 2018, 2019

However of all options Read is actually the one i would choose

2 RWCs 2011, 2015
    TRC 2010, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
    super rugby 2017, 2018 + 2019

while Mccaw and Carter are the obvious "best player" choice.... theres an argument to be made that both basically stopped their top level career from 2015 onwards.

awec wrote: »

How do you see the current tally?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

2 RWCs 2011, 2015

while Mccaw and Carter are the obvious "best player" choice.... theres an argument to be made that both basically stopped their top level career from 2015 onwards.

Read was my vote too. It's a pure popularity contest now.

McCaw and Carter may have stopped in 2015, but both of them were more influential players than Johnny Sexton and both played for a big chunk of the decade.
    How do you see the current tally?

There was an update on twitter.

It was Sexton, McCaw and Carter 1/2/3.

The NZ vote getting split by too many candidates. TBH I'd have all of Read, McCaw, Carter and Retallick ahead of Sexton.

Same thing happens with many online votes for soccer. The team/player with most social media sway usually wins out.

Sexton would benefit from both the NZ vote being split, and also the anyone-but-NZ vote. He's on to a winner.

• Advertisement

He's a worthy candidate but he might be feeling a bit sheepish if he wins. Making a popularity contest is a terrible way to decide a winner.

Johnny Mc Sexton face??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

2 RWCs 2011, 2015

If its the same criteria they use for Player of the Year then the club stuff doesn't count.

McCaw and Carter were GOATs but were only around for half the decade. Dusautoir and Du Toit had one good year in the decade. Barrett has never really nailed down a position in the ABs yet still has 2 POTY awards. Rettallick has been consistently outstanding since his debut in 2012 but I can't see a tight forward winning it. Sexton and Read were both at the top of their game for the whole decade. I'd go with Read. But it will be McCaw because he is McCaw.

Fair point, but as its a public vote all criteria goes out the window

So the BaaBaas v England could be off.
    Some players not observing protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

OldRio wrote: »
    So the BaaBaas v England could be off.
    Some players not observing protocols

https://twitter.com/FoyChris/status/1319313422429945858?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Calum Clark probably twisted someone's arm to go drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Winters wrote: »
    Calum Clark probably twisted someone's arm to go drinking.

Bless your memory! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Twelve players needed to supplement the Barbarian's ranks, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

OldRio wrote: »
    Lions to play Japan at Murrayfield in June.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the room when that was decided.

"Hey, you know what this season needs? More games! Lets make them late in the season too!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement