Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

magentis wrote: »
    I suppose if I was travelling on a bike and some stone fell off a truck and hit me I would just dust myself off and keep going too.....

Eh? Do you think a bike dropped stones or ripped the road up somehow?

If a truck has an insecure load they are responsible for the damage caused. Now..how to find the truck that dropped a few golfball sized stones is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Eh? Do you think a bike dropped stones or ripped the road up somehow?

If a truck has an insecure load they are responsible for the damage caused. Now..how to find the truck that dropped a few golfball sized stones is another matter.

Eh???

If a road user causes damage to another road user the responsibility for such damage lies with them.If I throw a brick out my car window and it hits a cyclist,I'm on the hook.Not the manufacturer of the brick.

It's just like if a cyclist clips the mirror of a stationary car in traffic.What makes it ok for said cyclist not to stop and make good the damage?

This is why cycles should have reg plates and insurance.

Eh???

If a road user causes damage to another road user the responsibility for such damage lies with them.If I throw a brick out my car window and it hits a cyclist,I'm on the hook.Not the manufacturer of the brick.

So we've gone from a small stone pinging from a tyre to a brick. Next it will be a boulder and then maybe a mountain! :rolleyes:

It's just like if a cyclist clips the mirror of a stationary car in traffic.What makes it ok for said cyclist not to stop and make good the damage?

This is why cycles should have reg plates and insurance.

And....we have jumped the shark!

• Advertisement

Aaannnddd.

You clearly do not grasp the gist of the reason this site exists.

You are clearly incapable of discussion.

Aaannnddd.

You clearly do not grasp the gist of the reason this site exists.

You are clearly incapable of discussion.

Registration plates has been discussed many times. There is a search function you could use to see how original you are. Also, have a search to see how well registration plates work on vehicles that leave the scene of collisions or scratch other vehicles in car parks etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Hurrache wrote: »

Más mall is mithid!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....If I throw a brick out my car window and it hits a cyclist,I'm on the hook.Not the manufacturer of the brick.
    Sweet Jesus, what a ridiculous analogy!

I was struck in the face by a stone flicked up from a 4x4 coming from the opposite direction a couple of weeks ago on a rural road. I seriously doubt that the driver had intention or even knew it happened. I don't hold them responsible. Even if i did, what could I have done about it? (Bearing in mind that it displayed registration plates and was probably insured).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was squirted in the eye by an improperly adjusted windshield spray nozzle once. Thankfully, the driver stopped and made good the damage. He had no choice. His car had registration plates and was insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......and we won't even get into all those so called 'law abiding' rural dwellers and their loose dogs that we have to encounter regularly. Dog owners should display registration plates and have insurance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: I haven't read this thread in awhile, I will go back through it but FFS. Its a road condition thread, if your post is not about that, then it is not for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The roads in the morning could be bad, might have to head over to the wimp thread.

Was just outside and its full of frozen hailstones and good bit of snow falling.

Road was fine this morning, few bits of snow on the road (from falling off cars) but more or less was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Mc Love wrote: »
    Road was fine this morning, few bits of snow on the road (from falling off cars) but more or less was grand

where are you that you had snow?

good bit of frost coming in from D5 to town but nothing that cause any wobbles. lots of cars being driven around with only half defrosted windscreens though :mad:

Limerick (light dusting on the grass) but it stuck more to the cars, and further out from the city there was a one or two inches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Dublin city centre slippy this morning, where traffic is light. Its odd because the roads are actually wet, must be a film of water over ice. Front wheel went a good few times..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Dublin city centre slippy this morning, where traffic is light. Its odd because the roads are actually wet, must be a film of water over ice. Front wheel went a good few times..

They're even slippy to walk on as I took the bus today. Anywhere they've inlaid metal into the footpaths too is lethal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had no issues with grip this morning.
    what i *did* have an issue with was looking out the window when i got up (around 6:30) and thinking, 'grand, it's nice and cold and dry', and within five or ten minutes of leaving the house, it was pelting hail which felt like being stung by hundreds of angry little wasps.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Very slippery all round Crumlin until I got onto the Crumlin Road - almost lost my back wheel a couple of times. Herberton Rd pretty slippery too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

had no issues with grip this morning.
    what i *did* have an issue with was looking out the window when i got up (around 6:30) and thinking, 'grand, it's nice and cold and dry', and within five or ten minutes of leaving the house, it was pelting hail which felt like being stung by hundreds of angry little wasps.

yep, same, was looking forward to the -4 degrees and light snow that accuweather was promising. Not +3 and lashing wet stuff. Awful morning.

Rotten morning and day out there, left my good wet gear in work, but had a backup pair at home thankfully or I would have been destroyed going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Got up quite early and judging by the radar I just avoided the worst of it. Cycle tracks sloppy so kept to roads and took it handy. Didn’t notice any slippery spots thankfully and motorists seemed patient enough. Traffic was bizarre, nothing at KCR/Sundrive, but heavy traffic in other spots there wouldn’t usually be.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

Patches of black ice out there in Dublin, be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Kids had great fun slipping on the paths all the way to school. After that I left the bike at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Consey wrote: »
    Patches of black ice out there in Dublin, be careful.

I got a puncture around Kimmage and the footpath was fookin lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

3rd day on the wimp list , tomorrow looks ok. should notice the extra light

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WICKLOW: Extreme caution is needed on higher ground in Wicklow due to icy conditions, including around Roundwood, Glendalough and Rathdrum. A number of mountain routes are closed this morning, including the Wicklow Gap (R756), the Sally Gap (R759) and the Old Military Rd (R115) between the Sally Gap and Glencree.

FYI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Probably the best of the last 3 days today, but still a couple of patches of ice on lesser used parts (Firhouse > KCR > City centre).

Very icy spot in the cycle lane on the roundabout at Templeogue College that I didnt spot until I was almost on it, while trying to keep an eye on some lad edging out from the next exit :(

Advertisement