Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I did the splits bringing out the bin this morning so quickly knocked cycling on the head.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It helps that I live a stones throw from the sea. Portmarnock->Baldoyle> Sutton-Clontarf Cycle track into the city were all perfect. Gorgeous out there really, much more pleasant than the Met Eireann temperature let on.

It helps that I live a stones throw from the sea. Portmarnock->Baldoyle> Sutton-Clontarf Cycle track into the city were all perfect. Gorgeous out there really, much more pleasant than the Met Eireann temperature let on.

The temperature was lovely this morning. Really pleasant. I was disappointed that i couldn't cycle.

The roads in the estate were lethal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

My commute was grand until I crossed the M50. After that still patches of black ice - R113 - Old Bawn Road - Firhouse Road W - Killinarden Way and down to Citywest on Cheeverstown. Bike lanes in particular were sketchy. Will be very careful heading home in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

does anyone know what it's like up Military road / Glencree direction? I was thinking of taking a spin up in the morning if road conditions allowed. from my window it looks like a lot of the snow I could see up there last week has since melted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

does anyone know what it's like up Military road / Glencree direction? I was thinking of taking a spin up in the morning if road conditions allowed. from my window it looks like a lot of the snow I could see up there last week has since melted...

Saw a post from Instagram of a lad up there yesterday, plenty of snow and ice it looks like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

very mild out there this evening (in dublin city) so there could be a thaw up the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I was up as far as Glencree the last two days. Totally clear as far as there. I believe there was still some slush before the Gap on Monday but I'd say it's all gone now. Windy though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Guy I know was up there taking photographs yesterday afternoon and this morning I think. Still looks pretty well covered in slush certainly and snow in plenty spots too by his shots. This was specifally between Lough Tay and Military Road

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Tree down on hairpin on stocking lane, desending size, other debree also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Tree down on hairpin on stocking lane, desending size, other debree also

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Isolated chunks of brash on the road around St margarets/oldtown/kilsallaghan. Rang in a dangerous tree to fingal coco. Has fallen out over the old n2 just north of kilshane cross and is being propped up by some wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

For anyone making the later commute, while obvious from the weather warnings, it’s pretty bonkers out there.

I was heading south west, wind seems to be mostly westerly to north westerly, but extremely unpredictable. Got blown out the cycle lane along the canal and 35 minute commute took just under 50 mins. Take it handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Shankill to Ballsbridge was hard work at 5.45am but not dangerous - more or less straight into my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It was tiring yesterday evening.

The minute i left the office yesterday evening i was struggling against it. 12km later i was bolloxed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The day before was worse, although it was more of a crosswind for me on the way home.

This morning was tough going, I never have a NNE headwind going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Mc Love wrote: »
    The day before was worse, although it was more of a crosswind for me on the way home.

This morning was tough going, I never have a NNE headwind going to work.

The cross wind can sometimes come from nowhere. Generally cross roads or exposed lanes but sometimes it just gets you when your not expecting. Twice on way home yesterday I took a wobble right that nearly knocked me. The concentration levels have to be so high especially when driving behaviour is the same as other days but by god you notice the close passes even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I find it helpful in windy conditions to be extremely wobbly on the bike. Drivers don't want to be inconvenienced by running you down so they give you lots more space...

i'm flying back in to dublin this evening. sounds like it will be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Note to self for next spin in these conditions. When taking a down hill route through a narrow winding forest path that differs from the one you took going up, think more about fallen trees that you may encounter than trying to improve on Strava results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Down Massey woods? It's a deathtrap in a wind like this!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Let us know what Bristol is like when you land :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alek wrote: »
    Down Massey woods? It's a deathtrap in a wind like this!

Yep. I managed to sneak up to 6th on the river run section a while back and notice you're in 2nd. Will need to get there at dawn sometime over the summer when its empty to improve on it. Even tootling around at my pace, it is great craic up and down with a fair bunch a tracks for a small area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Coming in last night on a tiny City Jet plane was interesting to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The cross wind can sometimes come from nowhere. Generally cross roads or exposed lanes but sometimes it just gets you when your not expecting. Twice on way home yesterday I took a wobble right that nearly knocked me. The concentration levels have to be so high especially when driving behaviour is the same as other days but by god you notice the close passes even more.

Oh absolutely the close passes are a lot more noticeable even when cycling into the wind, I tend to take the lane more in this situations, doesnt stop the close passing though

CramCycle wrote: »
    Let us know what Bristol is like when you land :D
    wasn't bad at all in the end.

i got in the taxi at the airport and when i told the driver my destination, he asked did i want to go via the M50 or M1. i said i usually skip them and go down the road alongside the runway.
    'i don't know where the runway is'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lucky he's a taxi driver and not a pilot then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Feckin glass everywhere today after the weekend thats in it but a particularly bad patch under the Luas bridge in Dundrum headed to Churchtown from Taney. All in the cycle lane, heineken bottle I suspect.

Just for anyone out in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some bright spark has left the below roundabout for entering the N11 before Fassaroe half done. The new surface is about 8cm above the old which you have to transition a few times on ramps that would be fitting for an MTB event. Take care.

https://goo.gl/maps/8iQj4eA2qfsZjiuv7

Advertisement