Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not so much a warning, more an observation - the warm weather has show how much of a false economy it is to do the cheap road resurfacing where they tar the road and top dress it with loose chips. the oldtown to naul road (mainly the half near oldtown) was done this way a year or two ago, and it's already looking ****. in a lot of places, the gravel has been pushed all the way through the tar so you have a glassy tarry surface, and in other sections the top layer is delaminating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

not so much a warning, more an observation - the warm weather has show how much of a false economy it is to do the cheap road resurfacing where they tar the road and top dress it with loose chips. the oldtown to naul road (mainly the half near oldtown) was done this way a year or two ago, and it's already looking ****. in a lot of places, the gravel has been pushed all the way through the tar so you have a glassy tarry surface, and in other sections the top layer is delaminating.

It s perfectly fine way to extend the lifespan of a road. The problem is with the quality of materials and workmanship.

Fatting up is typically the result of a substandard binder and too much of it and/or inadequate aggregate. The cheapest tender typically gets the contract. Peanuts and monkeys etc etc

Some light reading
    https://books.google.ie/books/about/The_Shell_Bitumen_Handbook.html?id=bA1tIkRJL8kC&redir_esc=y

On topic, where roads have fatted up road surfaces will have very poor grip/friction available once the rain comes. Rain after a prolonged period will be an issue on most roads as exhaust particles and tyre particles have built up in absence of our regular rain, but fatting up leaves you travelling on a bitumen surface.

The false economy will be Local Authorities paying insurance claims which result from the cheapest cowboy getting the job and is now long gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The Sally gap open for cars yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

nee wrote: »

It is yeah.

Bray Head is on fire at the minute, I was only at the outskirts by the Shankill end of Bray earlier and the smoke was fairly thick, can’t imagine it would be much craic to cycle through.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nee wrote: »
    Yes. I was up there on the bike this afternoon and there were loads of motors around.

(Lots of small bits of smouldering smoke around too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Miklos wrote: »
    It is yeah.

Bray Head is on fire at the minute, I was only at the outskirts by the Shankill end of Bray earlier and the smoke was fairly thick, can’t imagine it would be much craic to cycle through.

Cycled over Windgates yesterday. Fortunately the smoke was blowing to the northeast, it was actually worse at the northern end of Bray where the smoke was billowing about a bit, no smoke on the road beside the fires.

Still burning fiercely today, good view from Greystones harbour of the helicopter dropping water on it, but again the smoke was blowing the other way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's raining! a little bit in dublin, anyway, seems much heavier in the west and north. watch out for greasy roads.

the rainfall radar section on met.ie seems down, maybe it's overloaded with people trying to perve on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Having not cycled for 10 days, I just know the grease will take me down if I go out today!

And I had my nearest off in years this morning. Ashbourne-Swords road, chugging along at about 37km/h, hit a section where some patchwork repairs had been done to the road. The repairs had sunk a bit, and my front wheel dropped sideways into it and bounced along it like along a very low kerb for a couple of times. Am surprised I managed to stay upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Absolutely manky dirty oily roads around Dublin today. Be careful folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I cycle from clonee around meath generally seems to have been a lot of patch jobs done on roads some small others a bit of a stretch even on some of the back roads near dunboyne have had some minor repairs just watch out as you can come across them when you least expect them.

it was interesting to see when the roads first got fully wet, the cars leaving behind tyre trails of what looked almost like foam; whatever concoction of dust, rubber, brake dust, soot particles, oil, etc. that was. i'd say you could probably put it in a refinery and make some weird fuel out of it. or perhaps the world's most dangerous drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

it was interesting to see when the roads first got fully wet, the cars leaving behind tyre trails of what looked almost like foam; whatever concoction of dust, rubber, brake dust, soot particles, oil, etc. that was. i'd say you could probably put it in a refinery and make some weird fuel out of it. or perhaps the world's most dangerous drug.
    Collect it and refine the platinum expelled by catalytic converters from it. You'd be rich I tells ya.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I was also wondering why it's foamy. I was expecting it to be spectral-greasy, but the foam I am confused by. It's like soap suds.

No crashes. However, be careful washing your cars, OH's paintwork may be ruined due to how dried in tree sap and bird poo were. She went to wash it off and may have scratched up the bonnet pretty bad. I know nothing about cars, but fear it's expensive (despite how I reassure her) -

Weepsie wrote: »
    No crashes. However, be careful washing your cars, OHs, paintwork
    i read this differently from how i think it was intended. partly due to a misplaced comma.

Weepsie wrote: »
    No crashes. However, be careful washing your cars, OHs, paintwork may be ruined due to how dried in tree sap and bird poo were. She went to wash it off and may have scratched up the bonnet pretty bad. I know nothing about cars, but fear it's expensive (despite how I reassure her) -
    Is she aware that she's not supposed to waste water washing her car for the foreseeable future? :p

(My car is covered in dried in seagull shite at the moment. They congregate around my house).

Is she aware that she's not supposed to waste water washing her car for the foreseeable future? :p

(My car is covered in dried in seagull shite at the moment. They congregate around my house).

Yup, think she was hoping the rainwater was just going to wash it off.

On topic, seriously greasy pools around Doyle's corner in Phibsborough

coming south out of the naul, was waved down by a motorcyclist - they've resurfaced the road there and the road is chock full of loose chippings. one of his mates had come off and hurt his hand; he said it was lethal, and said it was 'all the way down to the next village', which i assumed meant ballyboughal. it's not down that far - i crossed back over the R108 at the nags head, and there's no sign of resurfacing there, so it's probably the stretch between the two. looks very recent.

was from this junction, south.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5730209,-6.2838453,16.75z

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

coming south out of the naul, was waved down by a motorcyclist - they've resurfaced the road there and the road is chock full of loose chippings. one of his mates had come off and hurt his hand; he said it was lethal, and said it was 'all the way down to the next village', which i assumed meant ballyboughal. it's not down that far - i crossed back over the R108 at the nags head, and there's no sign of resurfacing there, so it's probably the stretch between the two. looks very recent.

Loads of junctions on the back roads from Kilcloon to Batterstown full of gravel about 2-3 inches deep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭secman

Would love to know what RSA 's view is on that method of road maintenance. It takes several weeks for such roads to be bedded down by traffic. Same happened on Lisheen and around Ballyknockon about a month ago. Lethal when initially covered with inches of gravel ☹

plus, the naul-oldtown road (the section nearer the naul) was very glassy last night in the rain because the same top dressing job was obviously done cheaply, so it's just smooth tar in sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

That's a really fast descent isn't it?
    I only been on that road a few times but its one of my favorite roads, all the way from Naul to the Airport.

it's before you get to that long descent down past hollywood lakes golf club (which is not affected), but the section where i turned off is a descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Broken glass spread the whole way across the shared cycle path at the Airport. It's on the first section after the Airport roundabout heading towards Santry. Best off staying on the road for that part I'd say.

Not so much a road condition warning but an avoidance warning.

https://twitter.com/ConorTMcGrane/status/1034136569375010819

Not so much a road condition warning but an avoidance warning.

https://twitter.com/ConorTMcGrane/status/1034136569375010819
    Surprised he didn't mention it on Boards. Perhaps he will yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Any excuse for a new pair of cycling shoes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Dublin Port tunnel is closed in both directions due to an incident and the 5 axle ban has been lifted from the city centre as a result. More trucks in the city centre as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

havnt felt so smug cycling in a while , anyone stuck in a car/bus on Bath avenue or heading towards Irishtown looks like they wont be moving for an hour. is there a patron saint i can offload this smugness onto?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement