Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

All the doom and gloom and yellow warning from Met Eireann, got the train in. Road looked fine outside the estate. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nary a bother on the roads. littly bit windy though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Going through the Phoenix park shortly, it was frosty yesterday, they don't seem to salt it. Not looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

nee wrote: »
    Going through the Phoenix park shortly, it was frosty yesterday, they don't seem to salt it. Not looking forward to it!

It didn't get below freezing last night and we had a strong enough wind so the roads and cycle paths should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yep, no problem at all coming in along the S2S path from Kilbarrack to town, didn't even have a hint of frost / ice at Alfie Byrne rd unlike one day last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I wish i'd gotten a weather warning yesterday evening. 12km into driving wind and rain. I was bolloxed for the evening after it.

I wish i'd gotten a weather warning yesterday evening. 12km into driving wind and rain. I was bolloxed for the evening after it.

I cycled home from work early yesterday evening with a lovely tailwind! then I'd to cycle ~10km back into town around 6:30 into the headwind & rain :mad:
    at least then I got the payback when going home the second time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Was real nasty yesterday evening alright, got soaked and to really stick the boot in got caught in a heavy shower of hail that would cut the face off you with the driving wind behind it, was difficult to see.
    Was nice this morning though, wind had dropped and roads mostly dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Was real nasty yesterday evening alright, got soaked and to really stick the boot in got caught in a heavy shower of hail that would cut the face off you with the driving wind behind it, was difficult to see.
    Was nice this morning though, wind had dropped and roads mostly dry

Got caught in that hail myself, it was apocolyptic!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was the rain that done me in last night, knuckles are still sore from the cold. Young lad in front of me with no socks, on a fixed gear with no brakes or foot retention. I felt pity for him and his rolled up trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    I felt pity for him and rolled up his trousers.
    that was the way i read that first time round, a rather odd image. like jesus washing the the feet of his disciples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

that was the way i read that first time round, a rather odd image. like jesus washing the the feet of his disciples.

I never knew the apostles were into cycling. :D

Brass monkey weather out there at the moment. It'll be a hardy cycle home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Same, I’ve a long straight road about 2km long heading southwest at the end of my commute, and it’s always a wind tunnel, but last night it was like cycling through jelly. With bits of glass being shot at my face. In shorts. Wussed out and worked from home today with the weather warning, but it looked fine this morning. Ah well.

Brass monkey weather out there at the moment. It'll be a hardy cycle home.
    that was fine cycling home; though i was heading generally north-north west, so the wind was more from the side than any other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Some of the roads where very icy this morning.

the coast path from Kilbarrack into town looked frosty in patches but didn't feel slippery at any point. got down to -0.1c by Alfie Byrne road so not even as cold as a couple of days last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Oil Spill on the R113 just before the Firhouse Community Centre heading towards the M50. Road Crew were spraying it when I passed. Suds everywhere. Take it very handy if you are passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

ah, the Gardai, best friends to cyclists everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

1bryan wrote: »
    ah, the Gardai, best friends to cyclists everywhere!

A Damascene conversion, or guilt?

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1090214598807040000

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »

Rubbing my temples here after seeing the comments on that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was lucky, I saw it early when there was basically none so was spared the migraine, haven't checked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Rubbing my temples here after seeing the comments on that :(

I love the one where he complains:
    Put some laws in place for cyclists. Do what they want. Going faster than cars.
    OMG, how could we!

* Apt name...

ran into a couple of largish chunks of gravel on the way home, there's a few on the strand road inbound near the merrion gates, some nearly the size of a golf ball; and managed to ping one into the side of a car on the roundabout at the east link. thankfully, judging by the sound of the impact it didn't hit a metal panel, could have hit the tyre of the car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ran into a couple of largish chunks of gravel on the way home, there's a few on the strand road inbound near the merrion gates, some nearly the size of a golf ball; and managed to ping one into the side of a car on the roundabout at the east link. thankfully, judging by the sound of the impact it didn't hit a metal panel, could have hit the tyre of the car.

Better you pinging it than it pinging you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Should you not have stopped and made sure you didn't damage someone's car?

what's the liability if my vehicle throws up a chipping and hits someone else's vehicle?

also, stopping on the east link roundabout and trying to flag a car driver down is not a simple task, i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

what's the liability if my vehicle throws up a chipping and hits someone else's vehicle?....
    I can't see how any road user would be liable. Surely if any, it's the responsibility of the local authority or whoever else maintains the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I can't see how any road user would be liable. Surely if any, it's the responsibility of the local authority or whoever else maintains the road.

Or the truck driver that the stones fell of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Or the truck driver that the stones fell of.

I suppose if I was travelling on a bike and some stone fell off a truck and hit me I would just dust myself off and keep going too.....

Advertisement