Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

silverharp wrote: »
    havnt felt so smug cycling in a while , anyone stuck in a car/bus on Bath avenue or heading towards Irishtown looks like they wont be moving for an hour. is there a patron saint i can offload this smugness onto?

It took my 80 minutes to travel 6.2km in the car today that tskesnme between 16-18 minutes on the bike. Unfortunately off the bike for medical reasons at the moment. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

silverharp wrote: »
    havnt felt so smug cycling in a while , anyone stuck in a car/bus on Bath avenue or heading towards Irishtown looks like they wont be moving for an hour. is there a patron saint i can offload this smugness onto?
    There must have been a serious amount of smugness among the cyclists of north Co Dublin heading south on the R132 this morning after the chaos of the closed M1. We had 26 staff stuck in traffic for 2-3 hours making things very challenging here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, a colleague (who's a keen cyclist) drove from dundalk to dublin today; three hours. she ended up at a dead end somewhere near balbriggan, led there by google maps navigation, because she forgot to switch it from bike navigation to car navigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Could be a bit risky tomorrow morning. The wind is usually at my back on the way in though. :cool:

https://www.independent.ie/weather/storm-ali-met-ireann-issue-status-orange-wind-warning-for-13-counties-as-120kmh-gales-expected-37328041.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

yeah, a colleague (who's a keen cyclist) drove from dundalk to dublin today; three hours. she ended up at a dead end somewhere near balbriggan, led there by google maps navigation, because she forgot to switch it from bike navigation to car navigation.

Lol, M1 is probably the best thing to have happened to Dundalk and Drogheda in a very long time as far as infrastructure development in concerned! How did she manage to stay on old N1 thru Drogheda etc - sounds like a serious case of driving while asleep. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wasn't a problem today, but there's a stretch for about 1km, about 1km north of the nag's head, heading for the naul, where some farmer has managed to cover the road in muck, to a comical extent.
    i'd say that will not be a fun road to cycle if there's a decent shower of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Could be a bit risky tomorrow morning. The wind is usually at my back on the way in though. :cool:

https://www.independent.ie/weather/storm-ali-met-ireann-issue-status-orange-wind-warning-for-13-counties-as-120kmh-gales-expected-37328041.html

Thats obviously an error.
    This storm was in September.

Edit. Must stop drinking on Sunday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Thats obviously an error.
    This storm was in September.

So is the post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Duckjob wrote: »
    So is the post
    Sorry, its Monday morning:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Does anyone know if the R755 from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood still has a temporary traffic light on the Long Hill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Miklos wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the R755 from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood still has a temporary traffic light on the Long Hill?

I drove from kilmac up to the sugarloaf on Saturday & no temporary traffic lights by that point anyway. (Presume that's the long hill you mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I drove from kilmac up to the sugarloaf on Saturday & no temporary traffic lights by that point anyway. (Presume that's the long hill you mean)

That's the one, thanks for that.

• Company Representative Posts: 26 Verified rep Green Party: Ossian Smyth

My council, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, has started a weekly cycle lane sweeping schedule, at my request.

Cycle lanes will be priority for sweeping after storms and during Autumn. If you have any thoughts about this, let me know.

cyclesweeping.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭secman

Slightly off topic, but still good advice, a club member had a spill on Tues evening, out of saddle pulling to get up speed, worn cleats, shoe dislodged, over handle bars, broken elbow in left arm and broken finger in right hand, lesson for us all , a professional driver, he's out of work for 6 weeks.

My council, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, has started a weekly cycle lane sweeping schedule, at my request.

Cycle lanes will be priority for sweeping after storms and during Autumn. If you have any thoughts about this, let me know.
    i wonder how the sweeper will cope with the rollercoaster of the cycle lane on leopardstown road!
    good stuff though; one observation i would add is that i was out on the bike around howth (i think it was howth anyway) a few weeks ago, and a sweeper had been along and managed to lift a lot of crud that was nestled up against the kerb and sweep it out into the middle of the cycle lane, where it was obviously too heavy for the vacuum to lift. is it possible to report this for a return visit?

i guess regular sweeping will prevent such a buildup in future though.

... i was out on the bike around howth (i think it was howth anyway) a few weeks ago, and a sweeper had been along and managed to lift a lot of crud that was nestled up against the kerb and sweep it out into the middle of the cycle lane....
    There's a road sweeper who does my street occasionally. He usually drives about 30cms out from the debris along the kerb to ensure he doesn't actually pick up anything. Presumably for fear that he might have to empty the sweeper. What an utter waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This may not be news but far side of Rathcoole the building site has left a nice slick of mud all along the road. Good for drifting I'm sure.

ED E wrote: »
    ... far side of Rathcoole....
    Leaving Gary Larson aside, I always find descriptions using 'the far side of xxxx' amusing. I'm tempted to say that I live on the 'far side of Dublin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't be silly, they dont have internet access outside the pale. Can only have one meaning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ED E wrote: »
    This may not be news but far side of Rathcoole the building site has left a nice slick of mud all along the road. Good for drifting I'm sure.
    There's usually very specific planning conditions about NOT letting this happen. It might be worth contacting the planning enforcement dept at the relevant authority (South Dublin?) with more details.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Loads of oil/diesel on the r130 between Sam Denigans and Garristown

i was on the R125 very briefly - came from roganstown towards knocksedan - and there's oil visible on the road there too. so quite possible it's spilled all the way from there to garristown if it was the same vehicle.

There's also a large diesel spillage around the Fingallian's roundabout in Swords and on the road from there over towards the junction for the Balheary Road.

not so much a warning as just a general observation, but a lot of the roads around NCD are filthy. the worst was the mall climb, up to fourknocks, but at least i was going slowly for that. had to give the bike a good wash when i got home, it was covered in muck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Very much agree. As I was cleaning mine, I felt justified with the having a winter bike (and back up winter bike).

That said, NCD, is very much agricultural, I a surprised the roads aren't mucky more often. I often take in lispopple and similarly crap, pock marked roads, and they're remarkably cleaner than some of the main roads today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Just out for a run and temps dropping fast, 3 trucks out gritting (south west Dublin). Damp ground and overnight frost may leave cycle tracks ropey in the morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Leaving Gary Larson aside, I always find descriptions using 'the far side of xxxx' amusing. I'm tempted to say that I live on the 'far side of Dublin'.

I live on the better far side of Dublin

is that the near far side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I used that fixmystreet site & reported the southerly cycle lane between rte & UCD on the N11 early last week, seems like it's been looked at as I saw white spray paint on a few of the potholes this morning, hopefully something will come of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I used that fixmystreet site & reported the southerly cycle lane between rte & UCD on the N11 early last week, seems like it's been looked at as I saw white spray paint on a few of the potholes this morning, hopefully something will come of it.

I used it to report this poor surface (bottom left of the screen) on the way into CC from Harolds Cross. Reported it two months ago and still nothing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3322358,-6.2752468,3a,75y,328.63h,52.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCFwNbZDOEjRwK2kzyhDM7w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Advertisement