Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

The GAA, the future and it’s choices and options

1246

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    tritium wrote: »
    Shh dont start coming out with facts it might interfere with the bitterness.

    Im sure our two experts will be along shortly to set you straight on the Juggernaut and the pure shkill of their county that anyone could easily replicate even without pulling in a million quid from friends in the states ( oh i forgot, that ok because it was good kerry diaspora and not some international corporation chipping in - kerry based international corporations are ok though....)

    No actually the reason it is ok is because there is nothing stopping the majority of other counties replicating their ingenuity when it comes to fundraising.
    It's ridiculous, you laud those involved with dublin for simply making use of their vast numbers - in fairness a fairly obvious step, yet you stick the boot into kerry for finding a way to make money from their, in comparison to dublin, miniscule resources.
    Get over yourself ffs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Are Dublin players paid?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    LeoB wrote: »
    Firstly I am not trying to knock anyone. I am fairly close to the ground working in communities so I see a lot close up. I work with lads from other counties and what they tell goes on is terrible in terms of delegates who play politics with nearly every issue. That used to happen in Dublin but I can assure it would be very hard to get away with it at Dublin C B from what I have seen, It is fair to say you wouldnt.

    What I was pointing out was it is not just a population thing.From what I see Dublin clubs have more competition from various sports. Yes I am aware of soccer and Rugby been widly played now all over Ireland but every community here has serious pressure on playing number. Other sports, mainly soccer and to a lessar extent Rugby done serious damage to Dublin G.A.A towards the end of 70s just at the end of Heffo;s team. It is nearly as far back as that that Dublin recognized something had to be done. It took time, maybe 10-12 years to get plans up and running and it took another 15 years to get it right. I think what has been done in Dublin can be replicated but it wont happen overnight. People seem tyo think we will appoint a coach and we will get success. You wont. You have to look long term at least 5 to 7 years if you start with U/12s

    The funding of the coachs is been raised here also. We have a GPO who works in the 5 local schools but soo have the F.A.I, I.R.F.U and Leinster cricket. If we dont have a GPO our club would fold. Our juvenile committee raise the money through all the usual fundraisers, we have tea/coffee shop at all events on a Saturday. Parents supply everything. Teenage discos and raffles are also ran. It is non stop. There are smaller clubs who share a GPO.

    On the emigration thing people seem to think nobody emigrate from here. Our senior team played last Sunday and our Full back line was between Oz and Norway working our CHB is in Siberia and Alaska on a 12 month contract, one of our MF in in Canada on a 2 year deal and 3 of our forwards in UK. We replaced them and jigged things around but the players who came in were at least very well coached and we had a good year. We are a small club trying to compete with Vincents, Crokes Na Fianna etc (we actually beat each of them this year). By doing things right we can compete but we cant replicate what they have. One of my earlier points was I believe with the right people at the helm more counties would be competing for honours. But it takes time and most dont have patience to see it out.

    Finally maybe the county to replicate are Tyrone. They have a brilliant set-up top class coachs and good facilities and their work will pay big dividends in next few years.

    I appreciate the effort you put into your post there, but i have to repeat the point - competition from other sports is relative. Dublin have over 10 times the average population so they are going to have more clubs in every sport -
    10 times more at a minimum. However you are trying to say that this equats to more of a draw, but the data you are providing doesnt prove this.

    Re replicating a county, any of kerry tyrone or mayo would be the ones to adopt. Personally id go for mayo, as they have the lowest population yet have been the most consistantly competitive of the 3 in this decade. I accept they have a debt, but i see no issue with how it came about - anyone building and maintaining their own decent sized stadium are going to need a large outlay all at once.
    Kerry is obviously the standard bearer, but they have a culture of gaa that would take a long time to develop.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152


    So the coaches arent helping the dublin County team is what you are trying to say...
    You could always cut the funding then. Get rid, sure they arent helping...

    Also if as you suggest, they dont help the intercounty team by developing players, then what good would it be to mayo to spend money on underage coaches? Contradicting yourself there...

    Dublin don't spend money on warm weather training camps. Guess who does?

    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21772:mayo-jet-out-to-portugal-for-training-camp&catid=14&Itemid=100008


    Though in 2016 they only got to London.

    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/are-warm-weather-training-camps-back-in-fashion-387282.html

    Now, if Mayo were really impoverished, they wouldn't be able to do that.

    As I repeatedly say, Dublin put their money into the juvenile scene, not into the senior team. That is the lesson that Mayo need to learn from Dublin.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    The same yawn inducing point scoring debates and denials of the bleeding obvious.

    The debate boils down to one thing.

    If Dublin Domination is good for the GAA, the GAA will continue to support it. If Dublin Domination is bad for the GAA, the GAA will look to end it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    We are also competitive in both sports at all levels and have multiple teams and huge county championships. Not to mention camogie and womens football which also get some of the sponsorship.


    I'll be jiggered if I ever apologise for Dublin GAA.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Are Dublin players paid?

    Hard to say. Are they given money? Probably not. Are they given everything soft/free which in any other walk of life would be frowned upon? Probably.

    What i do find interesting is of all the great young dublin footballers coming out, not a single one has chanced their arm at aussie rules. When you consider that many are perfectly suited to it, you would have to wonder how not a single one has gone.
    Also, id be interested to know what sort of work c kilkenny has had since his return from his short stint out there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    We are also competitive in both sports at all levels and have multiple teams and huge county championships. Not to mention camogie and womens football which also get some of the sponsorship.


    I'll be jiggered if I ever apologise for Dublin GAA.

    Nobody is asking for an apology, just fair competition. How do you think you would fair if you had to split into areas of population the same as kerry? Do that, and get some success, then you will have others patting you on the back, rather than having to do it yourself all the time..


  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ TrueGael


    tritium wrote: »
    Shh dont start coming out with facts it might interfere with the bitterness.

    Im sure our two experts will be along shortly to set you straight on the Juggernaut and the pure shkill of their county that anyone could easily replicate even without pulling in a million quid from friends in the states ( oh i forgot, that ok because it was good kerry diaspora and not some international corporation chipping in - kerry based international corporations are ok though....)

    There is a difference between FUNDRAISING and been HANDED millions from the Government and GAA which nobody else receives which leads to others having to jump through hoops in terms of trying to keep up with the Monster


  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ TrueGael




    As I repeatedly say, Dublin put their money into the juvenile scene, not into the senior team. That is the lesson that Mayo need to learn from Dublin.


    No they don't the GAA HQ and Sport Ireland do and have done since the mid 00's Thanks Bertie which allows the AIG and all the others money go to building an ever growing professional backroom team providing services which no one else could even dream of


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ TrueGael


    LeoB wrote: »
    I dont care if Dublin field 10 or twenty teams to be honest so long as it is A, B, C etc.
    The best and most entertaining quotes I see on Twitter, facebook or Boards are from our good country folk. The bitterness is unbelievable from some. Its no wonder there is such a divide and a growing hatred towards one or two counties.

    In previous posts in another thread I tipped Mayo and Tyrone to meet in AI final. Thought Mayo had timed it to perfection. Alas I was wrong. Now did Mayo bottle it on the field or on the line? Im not sure. But Kerry or Tyrone in that position would now be all Ireland champions..

    Typical Dublin dismissive mentality - 'Oh yis bottled it'

    No when you haven't every advantage in your favour the margin for error is virtually zero particular when you look at the respective benches, Rochford deserves huge credit for what he has done bar 1 questionable goalkeeping issue last year (although when the odds are stacked against you , gambles have to be made)

    Gavin made more mistakes this year but because he has a Juggernaut panel and backroom team they got covered up, having Joe did't hurt either

    Re:hatred no normal counties fans would give two hoots about All Stars and other such trivial awards but I guess that is the Soccer Mentality and they don't understand what the GAA stands for......


  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ TrueGael


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    The same yawn inducing point scoring debates and denials of the bleeding obvious.

    The debate boils down to one thing.

    If Dublin Domination is good for the GAA, the GAA will continue to support it. If Dublin Domination is bad for the GAA, the GAA will look to end it.

    That is why the Super 8 Gimmick was invented to make up for the losses in the Leinster Championship which was for years a massive €€€€€€€ earner

    However, people aren't fools and can see this monopoly they have created not the Dublin CB who would have done what any CB would do and take everything they can get.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152


    Hard to say. Are they given money? Probably not. Are they given everything soft/free which in any other walk of life would be frowned upon? Probably.


    More lies being thrown around.

    What i do find interesting is of all the great young dublin footballers coming out, not a single one has chanced their arm at aussie rules. When you consider that many are perfectly suited to it, you would have to wonder how not a single one has gone.
    Also, id be interested to know what sort of work c kilkenny has had since his return from his short stint out there.

    You contradict yourself there by saying none of the footballers chanced Aussie Rules but then mentioning Kilkenny. He went down under, couldn't hack it, came home.

    James McCarthy trialled down under in 2009 but didn't make it.

    You seem to have forgotten about Jim and Brian Stynes.



    The bitterness runs deep in some of the Mayo supporters, but what I find interesting is that there is always an excuse for Mayo's failure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Hard to say. Are they given money? Probably not. Are they given everything soft/free which in any other walk of life would be frowned upon? Probably.

    What i do find interesting is of all the great young dublin footballers coming out, not a single one has chanced their arm at aussie rules. When you consider that many are perfectly suited to it, you would have to wonder how not a single one has gone.
    Also, id be interested to know what sort of work c kilkenny has had since his return from his short stint out there.



    So basicallyin a sleeveen manner you are claiming that Dublin players are being paid.

    Have the balls to say it straight.

    How much would Cillian need to be getting to score soft frees :-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ TrueGael


    blanch152 wrote: »
    More lies being thrown around.




    You contradict yourself there by saying none of the footballers chanced Aussie Rules but then mentioning Kilkenny. He went down under, couldn't hack it, came home.

    James McCarthy trialled down under in 2009 but didn't make it.

    You seem to have forgotten about Jim and Brian Stynes.



    The bitterness runs deep in some of the Mayo supporters, but what I find interesting is that there is always an excuse for Mayo's failure.

    So the most athletic team in the history of Gaelic Games and yet none of them have joined in the AFL and only 2 out of 26 in history (none since 1990) despite having a third of the population and that isn't strange at all shure........

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_experiment#List_of_Irish_sportsmen_linked_with_the_VFL.2FAFL


    People respect what Mayo have done given the disadvantages they face and the mental baggage of not having won it since 51 but what would a Dublin 'GAA fan' know about respect or history of the game

    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/the-biggest-obstacle-between-mayo-and-glory-their-location-424072.html This is an excellent article and perfectly highlights the obstacles that Dublin would never countenance of having to overcome just to compete


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152


    TrueGael wrote: »
    So the most athletic team in the history of Gaelic Games and yet none of them have joined in the AFL and only 2 out of 26 in history (none since 1990) despite having a third of the population and that isn't strange at all shure........

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_experiment#List_of_Irish_sportsmen_linked_with_the_VFL.2FAFL


    People respect what Mayo have done given the disadvantages they face and the mental baggage of not having won it since 51 but what would a Dublin 'GAA fan' know about respect or history of the game

    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/the-biggest-obstacle-between-mayo-and-glory-their-location-424072.html This is an excellent article and perfectly highlights the obstacles that Dublin would never countenance of having to overcome just to compete


    As I said, there is always an excuse for Mayo's failure. The article in the Examiner sums it up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭ LeoB


    I appreciate the effort you put into your post there, but i have to repeat the point - competition from other sports is relative. Dublin have over 10 times the average population so they are going to have more clubs in every sport -
    10 times more at a minimum. However you are trying to say that this equats to more of a draw, but the data you are providing doesnt prove this.

    Re replicating a county, any of kerry tyrone or mayo would be the ones to adopt. Personally id go for mayo, as they have the lowest population yet have been the most consistantly competitive of the 3 in this decade. I accept they have a debt, but i see no issue with how it came about - anyone building and maintaining their own decent sized stadium are going to need a large outlay all at once.
    Kerry is obviously the standard bearer, but they have a culture of gaa that would take a long time to develop.

    I dont accept what you say about the playing numbers. You need to be around the scene to see for yourself what the pressure is like on the ground for clubs. My club is not in that position but I see other clubs in Dublin who deserve whatever Croke park give them and more for what they do in their communities, I wouldnt like some of them but I know what they do for boys and girls and it is far more important than an All-Ireland title.

    I would have thought Tyrone had the smallest playing numbers, not population and I know about their coaching structures. I would say they have the most skilled set of players in the country. I felt all was not good with them when they played Dublin. They had no pep in their step at all and so unlike them they were arguing on the pitch. I also commented at end of final Mayo lost the game on the line. No one is going to tell me or convince me otherwise. They fckd up. Now try and tell me Dublin are that much better than Mayo!! They arent 2 points seperate them over 250 minutes of football. And in each game Mayo could easily have won.

    It comes back again to basic skills and Dublin players on the day showed brilliant skill and composure to win the game.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭ tritium


    TrueGael wrote: »
    So the most athletic team in the history of Gaelic Games and yet none of them have joined in the AFL and only 2 out of 26 in history (none since 1990) despite having a third of the population and that isn't strange at all shure........

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_experiment#List_of_Irish_sportsmen_linked_with_the_VFL.2FAFL


    People respect what Mayo have done given the disadvantages they face and the mental baggage of not having won it since 51 but what would a Dublin 'GAA fan' know about respect or history of the game

    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/the-biggest-obstacle-between-mayo-and-glory-their-location-424072.html This is an excellent article and perfectly highlights the obstacles that Dublin would never countenance of having to overcome just to compete

    Ok, I'm out of this, you genuinely need help


  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ TrueGael


    I dont accept what you say about the playing numbers. You need to be around the scene to see for yourself what the pressure is like on the ground for clubs. My club is not in that position but I see other clubs in Dublin who deserve whatever Croke park give them and more for what they do in their communities, I wouldnt like some of them but I know what they do for boys and girls and it is far more important than an All-Ireland title.

    What about the little boys and girls in Cork, Galway, Limerick & Belfast do they not deserve a bone?

    I would have thought Tyrone had the smallest playing numbers, not population and I know about their coaching structures. I would say they have the most skilled set of players in the country. I felt all was not good with them when they played Dublin. They had no pep in their step at all and so unlike them they were arguing on the pitch. I also commented at end of final Mayo lost the game on the line. No one is going to tell me or convince me otherwise. They fckd up. Now try and tell me Dublin are that much better than Mayo!! They arent 2 points seperate them over 250 minutes of football. And in each game Mayo could easily have won.

    It comes back again to basic skills and Dublin players on the day showed brilliant skill and composure to win the game.

    Dublin won because of the sheer numbers they have means they have a bench which isn't weaker than the players they are replacing and because they receive world-class coaching from when they are picked up by the underage IC system at 13/14, mayo at absolute best are picking from 17 players and if any of them are out of form/injured they are screwed, Rochford got more decisions right but not enough to win Tyrone had similar athleticism to Dublin but were blown away strength wise


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    TrueGael wrote: »
    what would a Dublin 'GAA fan' know about respect or history of the game


    What we would know is that along with the Munster counties and a few in Leinster we kept the whole thing going when others obeyed the order to shut the GAA down in 1892. Some counties didn't resurface for 20/30 years after the Parnell downfall. No coincidence that our county ground is called after him.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭ kilns


    This old argument that Dublin are far superior due to sheer weight of numbers, while of course is an advantage but it is far from the reason.  The main reason Dublin are in a position they are in now is because of good planning and priorities.  The areas which required the most attention were identified and this was not the senior teams, this was providing the best coaching they could to school children.  If people cannot accept and admire this then they have to look at themselves.  This plan which was put in place a long long time ago is now reaping the benefits and the sponsorship that has followed.  Do you think if they were a team reaching only quarter finals year after year AIG would get involved? 
    The solution is not the breakup of Dublin, the solution is to ensure all other counties follow the same template which Dublin have implemented, even if in the short term it effects funding to the senior team for their warm weather training camps.  The problem in many counties is that county boards are too political and nothing gets done and it descents into infighting and the senior team gets all the attention for short term success.  GAA HQ should make these counties put these plans in place, yes extra funding may need to be allocated and nobody would have an issue with this but for all those with an obvious hatred of a successful Dublin team, who will contribute the a large amount of this funding through gate receipts etc?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    So basicallyin a sleeveen manner you are claiming that Dublin players are being paid.

    Have the balls to say it straight.

    How much would Cillian need to be getting to score soft frees :-)

    No Im not, Im answering the question you asked. I never said they were paid at all. Id love to see the full expense list of the last 10 years all the same.

    Any opinions on the apparent lack of interest from Dubs in playing professional sport?
    Is C Kilkenny still working jobs where he can prepare himself as a professional athlete?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭ tritium


    No Im not, Im answering the question you asked. I never said they were paid at all. Id love to see the full expense list of the last 10 years all the same.

    Any opinions on the apparent lack of interest from Dubs in playing professional sport?
    Is C Kilkenny still working jobs where he can prepare himself as a professional athlete?


    Not quite sure what you mean. For interest heres a list of jobs Dublin players have from Joe.ie

    Steven Cluxton - Teacher.
    Philly McMahon - Business.
    Cian O’Sullivan - Tax Consultant PWC.
    Michael Fitzsimons - Physiotherapist.
    Jonny Cooper - Student recruitment, DCU.
    John Small - Account officer, Digicom Office technology.
    Eric Lowndes - Teacher.
    Brian Fenton - Physiotherapist, Beaumount Hospital.
    James McCarthy -Bank rep.
    Ciarán Kilkenny - Student St Pat's Drumcondra.
    Con O’Callaghan - Student, UCD.
    Jack McCaffrey - Student, UCD.
    Paul Mannion - Digital innovation student, UCD.
    Paddy Andrews - Dealer in stockbrokers.
    Dean Rock - Leisure centre executive, Stewarts sports centre, Palmerstown.
    Kevin McManamon - Sports psychology consultant.

    Seems pretty routine tbh. Wouldnt be very different to the jobs of say the mayo team

    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-sfc-final-mayo-player-profiles-1.2795387%3Fmode%3Damp&ved=0ahUKEwi0i5nC0LHXAhXCKsAKHa9gBoAQFghUMAY&usg=AOvVaw2KSLRZxE_kz20Il-QhvcqA&ampcf=1


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    tritium wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you mean. For interest heres a list of jobs Dublin players have from Joe.ie

    Steven Cluxton - Teacher.
    Philly McMahon - Business.
    Cian O’Sullivan - Tax Consultant PWC.
    Michael Fitzsimons - Physiotherapist.
    Jonny Cooper - Student recruitment, DCU.
    John Small - Account officer, Digicom Office technology.
    Eric Lowndes - Teacher.
    Brian Fenton - Physiotherapist, Beaumount Hospital.
    James McCarthy -Bank rep.
    Ciarán Kilkenny - Student St Pat's Drumcondra.
    Con O’Callaghan - Student, UCD.
    Jack McCaffrey - Student, UCD.
    Paul Mannion - Digital innovation student, UCD.
    Paddy Andrews - Dealer in stockbrokers.
    Dean Rock - Leisure centre executive, Stewarts sports centre, Palmerstown.
    Kevin McManamon - Sports psychology consultant.

    Seems pretty routine tbh. Wouldnt be very different to the jobs of say the mayo team

    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-sfc-final-mayo-player-profiles-1.2795387%3Fmode%3Damp&ved=0ahUKEwi0i5nC0LHXAhXCKsAKHa9gBoAQFghUMAY&usg=AOvVaw2KSLRZxE_kz20Il-QhvcqA&ampcf=1

    Not sure what you think this proves?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭ flasher0030


    kilns wrote: »
    This old argument that Dublin are far superior due to sheer weight of numbers, while of course is an advantage but it is far from the reason.  The main reason Dublin are in a position they are in now is because of good planning and priorities.  The areas which required the most attention were identified and this was not the senior teams, this was providing the best coaching they could to school children.  If people cannot accept and admire this then they have to look at themselves.  This plan which was put in place a long long time ago is now reaping the benefits and the sponsorship that has followed.  Do you think if they were a team reaching only quarter finals year after year AIG would get involved? 
    The solution is not the breakup of Dublin, the solution is to ensure all other counties follow the same template which Dublin have implemented, even if in the short term it effects funding to the senior team for their warm weather training camps.  The problem in many counties is that county boards are too political and nothing gets done and it descents into infighting and the senior team gets all the attention for short term success.  GAA HQ should make these counties put these plans in place, yes extra funding may need to be allocated and nobody would have an issue with this but for all those with an obvious hatred of a successful Dublin team, who will contribute the a large amount of this funding through gate receipts etc?

    Would the €6m that Dublin GAA received in the years up to 2011 not have played a massive role. Or was it just a coincidence that after those 6 years that they received €1m per year, that the Dublin team found form and won Sam in 5 out of the past 7 years. So nothing to do with population or money. But instead its this hard work, pulling together, comradeship, grassroot level and similar type of bile that is spewed to try to camouflage over the truth, that Dublin GAA wasn’t in a great place 12 years ago. And the powers that be (Bertie, Sean Kelly etc.) felt they needed a helping leg-up. Dublin GAA gladly took this freebe, but instead of creating a leveller playing field, Dublin GAA developed enormously. And that’s the part where the hard work by many comes in. But that was kick-started in the first place by the money available to get people interested in the project.

    The question is – where is the million a year for the other counties, now that Dublin has experienced it’s GAA boom?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭ tritium


    Not sure what you think this proves?

    Well lets see...

    That none of them appear to have sweet deal jobs just to help them prepare as professional athletes

    That the jobs they have are very similar to other gaa players

    That many of them have stable careers that would make a move abriad much less attractive

    Im sure i couls find a few other self evident nuggets in there...

    Clearer?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    kilns wrote: »
    This old argument that Dublin are far superior due to sheer weight of numbers, while of course is an advantage but it is far from the reason.  The main reason Dublin are in a position they are in now is because of good planning and priorities.  The areas which required the most attention were identified and this was not the senior teams, this was providing the best coaching they could to school children.  If people cannot accept and admire this then they have to look at themselves.  This plan which was put in place a long long time ago is now reaping the benefits and the sponsorship that has followed.  Do you think if they were a team reaching only quarter finals year after year AIG would get involved? 
    The solution is not the breakup of Dublin, the solution is to ensure all other counties follow the same template which Dublin have implemented, even if in the short term it effects funding to the senior team for their warm weather training camps.  The problem in many counties is that county boards are too political and nothing gets done and it descents into infighting and the senior team gets all the attention for short term success.  GAA HQ should make these counties put these plans in place, yes extra funding may need to be allocated and nobody would have an issue with this but for all those with an obvious hatred of a successful Dublin team, who will contribute the a large amount of this funding through gate receipts etc?

    But are they though? Think about it. They have well over 10 times the population of ourselves for example. Multiples of our financial muscle and the best facilities on their doorstep. Yet they can only beat mayo by a point. When you look at it objectively, there is a strong argument to suggest that Dublin are in fact miles behind when it comes to structures and development.

    Like how good would kerry be if they had all that dublin have?
    The worrying thing is they are catching up, which in itself is a good thing, but it will undoubtedly leave the premier competition in the game in tatters.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    Would the €6m that Dublin GAA received in the years up to 2011 not have played a massive role. Or was it just a coincidence that for those 6 years that they received €1m per year, that the Dublin team found form and won Sam in 5 out of the past 7 years. So nothing to do with population or money. But instead its this hard work, pulling together, comradeship, grassroot level and similar type of bile that is spewed to try to camouflage over the truth, that Dublin GAA wasn’t in a great place 12 years ago. And the powers that be (Bertie, Sean Kelly etc.) felt they needed a helping leg-up. Dublin GAA gladly took this freebe, but instead of creating a leveller playing field, Dublin GAA developed enormously. And that’s the part where the hard work by many comes in. But that was kick-started in the first place by the money available to get people interested in the project.

    The question is – where is the million a year for the other counties, now that Dublin has experienced it’s GAA boom?

    Spot on. This hard work spiel is in fact the opportunity of a lifetime that every other county would crawl over hot coals to get near.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    tritium wrote: »
    Well lets see...

    That none of them appear to have sweet deal jobs just to help them prepare as professional athletes

    That the jobs they have are very similar to other gaa players

    That many of them have stable careers that would make a move abriad much less attractive

    Im sure i couls find a few other self evident nuggets in there...

    Clearer?

    But i named kilkenny specifically because he chose to leave aussie rules and come back to ireland, in the context of the question raised about dubs never playing aussie rules since kilkenny returned home.
    It wasnt a question about every single player, i was referencing his being named as a college team manager, while he was still in the college and about 20 years old.
    Basically, has he worked a day since he came back from Australia is what im getting at? And is that an indicator as to why no dubs seem to go to Australia to play aussie rules full time.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭ tritium


    But i named kilkenny specifically because he chose to leave aussie rules and come back to ireland, in the context of the question raised about dubs never playing aussie rules since kilkenny returned home.
    It wasnt a question about every single player, i was referencing his being named as a college team manager, while he was still in the college and about 20 years old.
    Basically, has he worked a day since he came back from Australia is what im getting at? And is that an indicator as to why no dubs seem to go to Australia to play aussie rules full time.

    Hes listed as a student (i believe studying to be a teacher though someone may correct me there). Same as quite a few of both the Dublin and Mayo panels (and not unusual for a lad his age)


Advertisement