Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to your work Christmas party?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

No. Absolutely not. I can't think of anything worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I knew it would be expensive but was a little shocked to see during the week that the price was €55. It would cost another €60+ to get home, plus drinks. Just confirms my definite no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

No.

Reason: terrible.

I went to one a few years ago. It's was 200 men in black suits and me in a hoodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Forced jollity is not fun.

Some people love the craic of a Christmas party, and that's fine. But I think once you reach a certain age, ahem, the joy goes out of it. Too long, too boring, too ha ha ha ha, to difficult to get home etc. etc.

And as can be seen from the posts here, a lot of people just want to go home from a toxic environment week to week. Why would they spend time with people they do not get along with. That happens more than we think. We are colleagues not friends or family.

Anyway, I hope those who do go have a blast, and those who are sensible enough to know when NOT to go sleep well on the night!

My tactics always were to go to the pre dinner drinks thing, eat a few canapes, have a wander around, couple of glasses of wine, talk to anyone I felt like talking to and scarper after an hour or so. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lissoy

timthumbni wrote: »
    Lissoy wrote: »
    The invite to our Christmas party was sent out a couple of weeks ago by email and about an hour later an update was sent amending the name to "End of year recognition event". A lot of people now not going. PC gone mad.

That’s mad. Was this in Ireland?

Yep, one of the big multinationals. We have a few non Irish people but none of them were offended by it being called a Christmas party. Seems somebody in upper management thought otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Forced jollity is not fun.

Unlike forced office party dancing which is a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes, should be good! I get on with my colleagues and one is a great friend so it's not a chore to go to. No charge other than own spending, no expensive meal. That's not to say there's no potential for drama but it's still worth going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Really? EVERYONE comments about some fellow worker who chooses not to go to some pub/hotel for a few hours one night a year? Outside maybe about 2 seconds of thought, I find that very hard to believe.

They really do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Primary school teacher here. We have 11 teachers, 1 SNA and 1 secretary. And we usually invite some of our former staff. I’ve gone to 1 out of last 4 parties. Last year. The biggest load of boll*x ever. People in the staff room who make the make the most noise about it and where it should be held dont even go. So now I just say straight off the bat when it’s mentioned that I wont be going.

Rather have a few pints in my local

Teacher here too, so it’s prob that environment where pressure comes to go. As I said already, I always go to leaving doos but hate XMAS night out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not a fan of the organised working meal. If it's during work hours you are pretty much obliged to go. Even if it's an after work meal you still have to stay there until it's done. At least with the traditional book-a-room/get pissed, you can turn up, sketch the situation and do a quick runner after a drink.

I'm working for a new company (about 250 employees) this year and although plans for the night are sketchy, it sounds like they usually just book a pub out and give drinks vouchers. Can't say I am too interested as from previous reports it sounds a bit overcrowded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭LewisR

Company organises nothing so about 10 of us go on a night out in the local pub. It's always good craic. There's two bosses are neither of them get invited, two of the tightest fcukers you'd ever meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

My last job was grand. Only 5 of us. The owner would turn up for a meal then chuck enough money for the rest of the night and head off.

Now theres 150+, place rife with team leaders, supervisors, the owner and people willing to sell you down the river at any chance. I've been to the last few and will go to the christmas one just to get as much free stuff from the miserley minimum wage paying guy that I can. Normally involves supervisors controlling the drink tokens. Brown nosers drink free all night. The rest of us smuggle booze and drugs.

Like someone mentioned earlier its good to know when to quit. Nothing worse than facing a monday morning after a saturday blackout when the last thing you remember is talking to a manager you hate......

Also a pain in the ass becoming drunk best friends with someone you haven't spoken to ever despite working with them for 3 years. Then monday morning dawns..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'll go with my work mate for a bit of grub and a few pints in dublin.

Was working for a fairly big crowd last year and we went to galway. Never again. Lads coked off their head and whatever else they were on. Boss lad hired strippers who had lads on the floor like dogs and whipping them with their belts. Lads openly cheating on their other halfs and telling stories about their infedelity.

I'd worked with these lads over the years and it was then that I realised I had nothing in common with them.

Any jobs going there

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

We don’t do organised parties anymore but a few of us who are friends outside of work get together and go for a meal and join some of the others on the 12 pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I'll just be showing my face at mine for an hour or so. It's drinks and platters of gougons, sausages etc in a pub in town. Not really my cup of tea anymore, I'd prefer to go for a meal somewhere.

What is your workplace organising and will you be going?

No, ours is an overnight thing in Galway....a meal/drinks and a murder/mystery thing. I'm up for the laugh but can't justify spending the guts of €200 so close to Christmas on a night out and I'm also only working part time....so nope, not this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Would love to get out of going.

I work Mon-Fri and ours is on a Saturday night.

Atmosphere has been toxic the last couple of weeks as it is.

Now just to find an acceptable reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

No not going this year. Too far away + have young baby so staying over not an option. I think Christmas parties are over rated anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A relative of mine worked in retail.

Their Christmas party was always held in January for obv reasons.

They loved it. Well it was paid for in the dark penniless days of post Christmas. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I'll be missing the company party this year because it clashes with a weekend away I had already booked. If I wasn't away I'd definitely go because no matter who you're socializing with, after enough free drink is consumed, the craic is had.

My team had a night out a few weeks ago that I was dreading (some on the team are just toxic), but it turned out to be a brilliant night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My boss just bookeds the cafe across the road, yes books it! normally lunchtime, always on last day before xmas break so we go home as soon as we finished, he knows if he booked a evening meal none of us would be arsed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

I only started in my new place recently, so I'm not invited :P I might crash my old place Christmas party (which I was actually invited to when I was working there0 and tell my supervisor what a cunt she is. :P 99.99999999999999% of people would agree :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Numbers are booked etc, it's nothing personal :P I joined with 10 others. I was told I can come for the after drinks, but the dinner is booked on numbers. It's fine :P It's a huge American company which employs thousands of people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'll go with my work mate for a bit of grub and a few pints in dublin.

Was working for a fairly big crowd last year and we went to galway. Never again. Lads coked off their head and whatever else they were on. Boss lad hired strippers who had lads on the floor like dogs and whipping them with their belts. Lads openly cheating on their other halfs and telling stories about their infedelity.

I'd worked with these lads over the years and it was then that I realised I had nothing in common with them.

Now there's a Christmas bonus. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Numbers are booked etc, it's nothing personal :P I joined with 10 others. I was told I can come for the after drinks, but the dinner is booked on numbers. It's fine :P It's a huge American company which employs thousands of people in Ireland.

If it's a multinational, they will have the clout to add an extra meal. They will get 5-10% dropout too. I would be insulted if not invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For us it will be dinner and drinks after, it'll be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If it's a multinational, they will have the clout to add an extra meal. They will get 5-10% dropout too. I would be insulted if not invited.

Sounds like its booked by the Dept Battleaxe who loves the power of organising these things, they generally came back then with about 2 days notice and say "oh you can come now" as there's been drop outs and there's a per head charge already paid so her boss will know they've overspent.

Happens, every, singly year here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Corvo

Have only attended 2 of the previous 5 Christmas parties but may very well attend this years one. Depends on my mood really. In fairness its always a decent bash and the boss is very kind.

Doesn't mean I don't want a lot of the other attendees dead, mind.

• Advertisement

I got the exact lowdown today. My company employs about 5,000 people in Ireland and several thousand across Europe.

In my particular department, there are roughly 600 people. They paid for 120 places in my department, but that was increased to 200 after demand but they refuse to increase that. 200 places were promptly snapped up. So no pace for me :P

Advertisement