Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kawhi pulling a LeBron...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Cavs weren't a superteam really, were they? Their record over the last four years without him on the floor certainly indicate they weren't. GS are definitely a superteam though, and the current configuration of the Cavs leave them with no chance.

Kuzma and Hart are on $3m combined through 2021, keep them. Deng is on $18m, didn't play at all last year, ideally would be moved on anyway possible. Lopez might be more likely to stay on an even cheaper deal if he can play on a team with the King and compete for a championship. Point is that the Lakers are ideally positioned to take on LeBron and build around him. Create a team that is stacked enough to compete off the bat.

Either you don't understand the contracts and market opportunity very well or you do in fact dislike LeBron a great deal. Which is it?

Yawn, so because i dont want LBJ i dislike him
    Infact when he first went to Miami i cheered him on and i was happy enough to see him finally bring a title to Ohio, *Not against Dirk
    And i understand contracts probably better than most, i clearly meant Deng as a joke

The Cavs with three All Stars were the super team of the east. They got very lucky this season that Celtics didnt have Irving and Hayward and Toronto well are Toronto

Just because they can get the King doesnt mean its the right move, like i said already regarding Celtics and 76ers
    Being the best player doesnt always mean the best move for every team

Saying that if he chooses LA i will support him, but my view on him wont change

Is he the best, for me no!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Does Bosh make the HOF?

Lol what? That's not even up for debate, of course he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

We lost an excellent poster on here last year due to posts like the above, I won't be going anywhere.

The thinly vieled "I'm also an excellent poster" humblebrag.....:rolleyes:

We lost an excellent poster on here last year due to posts like the above, I won't be going anywhere.

What that says is that you need a lot of help to win in the modern NBA - one HOF type talent isn't nearly enough without support and a good organisation behind them.

You said 'it's not GS's fault that their players fit better together' and I responded to that - not that anyone ever suggested it was.

Plus, please explain to me what's so offensive to you about what I posted:

Great way to debate. You put all this stuff out there, I take the time to respond at length and not for the first time you just refuse to engage.

I never said they weren't terrible without him on the floor; but some of that is on him for all of the reasons outlined, a point you seemingly refuse to acknowledge.

I never said Love would lead a team to a conf. champ. final. Equally I'd never say Klay or Draymond would lead a team to one either, and KD (when he was the best player on OKC) couldn't do so either. So....what does that say?

And I never said it Cleveland's problems were GS's fault. Honestly I wonder how you interpret things sometimes if you think that's what I said?

to earn your comment about posts like that making people leave the thread?

Your style of debate seems to be "well I don't like what you're saying and I'm not smart enough to debate it and argue my points coherently so I'll just leave". You're like the child who says "it's my football, I'm going home".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Plus, please explain to me what's so offensive to you about what I posted:

to earn your comment about posts like that making people leave the thread?

Your style of debate seems to be "well I don't like what you're saying and I'm not smart enough to debate it and argue my points coherently so I'll just leave". You're like the child who says "it's my football, I'm going home".

Your style of debate seems to be repeatedly telling everyone how smart and knowledgeable you are. Oh and how you're not obsessed.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Your style of debate seems to be repeatedly telling everyone how smart and knowledgeable you are. Oh and how you're not obsessed.

Brilliant comeback.:rolleyes:

Again, like it seems most posters on here ignore the actual question that was posed. You may not like my style but at least I debate and don’t dodge or duck any questions.

Originally Posted by ButtersSuki viewpost.gif
    Great way to debate. You put all this stuff out there, I take the time to respond at length and not for the first time you just refuse to engage.

I never said they weren't terrible without him on the floor; but some of that is on him for all of the reasons outlined, a point you seemingly refuse to acknowledge.

I never said Love would lead a team to a conf. champ. final. Equally I'd never say Klay or Draymond would lead a team to one either, and KD (when he was the best player on OKC) couldn't do so either. So....what does that say?

And I never said it Cleveland's problems were GS's fault. Honestly I wonder how you interpret things sometimes if you think that's what I said?

Re. comment in bold above:

What I meant when i said this was in the GS era, obviously they made the Finals in 2012.

Good Bill Simmons podcast overnight with Kyrie where they talk about player empowerment and the effect of "The Decision" on the League since. Worth a listen.

Read and listened to a lot of commentary and debate on the Kawhi story since Friday (as well as having followed it all season). He does not come off looking good in this at all.

I can't see how he continues as a Spur to be honest given how they are as an organisation, their culture etc. Now one caveat there is there's talk of Pop not coaching after this year (leaving his 2019-20 season to concentrate on Olympic preparation), but all things being equal, I can't see Kawhi there after February - if he even starts the season at all.

You can already tell Pop and his team mates are p*ssed off with him, so it's hard to see a way back. Woj doesn't report gossip either, so what he said on Friday came from someone inside Kawhi's "group". It can only have made things worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,206 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The thinly vieled "I'm also an excellent poster" humblebrag.....:rolleyes:

Didn't mean it like that, was merely referencing the fact that an excellent poster (not saying I'm an excellent poster) who spent a lot of time on his contributions here left because he'd had enough of your personalising / emotive posts.

Well I haven't left. You are entitled to your opinion on the rest obviously.

Didn't mean it like that, was merely referencing the fact that an excellent poster (not saying I'm an excellent poster) who spent a lot of time on his contributions here left because he'd had enough of your personalising / emotive posts.

Well it certainly came across as such, it was implied in your post.

In bold - left because of my personalising and emotive posts? You're sure about that? Name the poster and let's ask him then. You cannot throw out an accusation like that without backing it up.

Report me or any of my posts if you feel I'm being personal or emotive, but don't be throwing out accusations like you just have unless you're willing to back them up and show examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Alright, everyone just chill out. If you have any issues with other users, private message the user. I don't want to but I will hand out bans if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,604 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Word coming out that Jimmy Butler "has problems" with Wiggins. They'd have a hard time getting anything for Wiggins on that contract and Jimmy's only got one year left on his contract if he doesn't take his player option (which he won't because he's easily worth a max). If they lose Jimmy in a year after giving up Lavine and the pick that became Markkanen it won't look great for Minnesota.

Word coming out that Jimmy Butler "has problems" with Wiggins. They'd have a hard time getting anything for Wiggins on that contract and Jimmy's only got one year left on his contract if he doesn't take his player option (which he won't because he's easily worth a max). If they lose Jimmy in a year after giving up Lavine and the pick that became Markkanen it won't look great for Minnesota.

The Butler-Wiggins thing has been an issue since Day 1 apparently, was reported on several times during the year.

Both contracts are an issue to be honest - Bulter's and Wiggins'. Wiggins is overpaid and will be very difficult to trade for anything of real value. Butler with another year on the clock and coming off an injury and given how he plays I don't think it's a stretch to say his best years are likely behind him now will likewise be difficult to move OR build around, and that's assuming he doesn't just walk. Butler will be 29 before next season starts, and 30 in his next contract year.

They have issues alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dwight Howard is finally getting his move to the Nets, just the 7 years after initially trying to force a trade there.

It’s crazy how his career fell completely off a cliff with that Lakers move.

It’s very easy to forget how good he was when he was tearing it up in Orlando.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

(Hopefully) the end of Woj bombs on Draft Night?

https://www.thescore.com/news/1559974

(Hopefully) the end of Woj bombs on Draft Night?

https://www.thescore.com/news/1559974

I don't mind them tbh.

Paully D wrote: »
    Dwight Howard is finally getting his move to the Nets, just the 7 years after initially trying to force a trade there.

Interesting trade, leaves the Nets with room for 2 max players next year (2019-20). It's Howard's 4th team in 4 years, which doesn't look great. He showed some flashes of old Dwight last year (his 30-30 game for example, and other pieces), but has largely been disappointing since 2012.

I will say this much about him: I've seen him up close and I don't think I've ever seen a bigger, wider, leaner, more muscled person in my life. He is just a freak.

As good as he was, he'll always be thought of as an underachiever given his physical talents. His joking around and the shall we say "annoying" personality doesn't help.

With so many teams looking to move up (or down) on draft night and the FA status of some players (not to mention the Kawhi situation etc.) there's likely going to be chaos in the coming days. Can't wait! :)

• Advertisement

Not sure if anyone on here (other than me) is interested in sneakers and sneaker wars but Puma are making a lot of noise this week in the basketball world appointing Jay Z as Creative Director for Basketball, giving Walt Frazier a lifetime deal, and hoovering up DeAndre Ayton and Marvin Bagley pre-draft with more announcements expected this week and beyond. Interesting move, but I'm not sure they have the caché to bridge the gap with the bigger players in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭nerd69

Not sure if anyone on here (other than me) is interested in sneakers and sneaker wars but Puma are making a lot of noise this week in the basketball world appointing Jay Z as Creative Director for Basketball, giving Walt Frazier a lifetime deal, and hoovering up DeAndre Ayton and Marvin Bagley pre-draft with more announcements expected this week and beyond. Interesting move, but I'm not sure they have the caché to bridge the gap with the bigger players in the market.

Probably the way to go look at the difference grabbing the likes of Steph has made to underarmor I reckon they need to throw money at it for a few years to build the brand

8 teams talking to the 4th pick. Sticking point is the Chandler Parsons contract.

Stories coming out from Charlotte about (SHOCK!) how much of a jackass Howard was in the locker room. Charlotte too Mosgov (an inferior player) and more salary (over 2 years) to get rid of him. Similarly, Atlanta took on more money long-term and an inferior player the year before to get rid too.

Such a waste of talent. He's got to be the least liked player in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Paully D wrote: »

save-droid-ico-760x400.jpg

If you're interested:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/20/17483322/dwight-howard-trade-history-trade-value-hornets-nets-hawks-magic

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/20/17485166/dwight-howard-trade-salary-cap-nets-free-agency-2019-clear-cap-space-2-two-max-free-agents#comments

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/21/17487856/dwight-howard-trade-hornets-nets-rumors-sad-gmib

And of course it wouldn't be Dwight without this....he's asked for a buyout already:
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/21/17489550/dwight-howard-nets-buyout-free-agency-options-destinations

“I want to be in a situation where I have an opportunity to help a team win,” Howard told ESPN in a phone interview. “That’s my only goal. All I need is a real chance and a clean slate where it’s not people talking about my past.”

:rolleyes:

What's next? Dwight gets a ring with GS?

Good Simmons pod today talks about Dwight a lot. Worth a listen.

Going to listen to rather than watch the draft. Hopefully I don't fall asleep.

Couple of minor surprises (Young going earlier than predicted and Porter dropping to 14), but more surprised at the lack of trades....guess they’re waiting for free agency. Very anti-climactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

don't know anything about the lad the celtics drafted, but they seem happy enough with him. probably the area they most needed to strengthen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

delighted for Doncic another European in Mavs and surely Dirk will ease his transition there ;) excited as a Mavs fans!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement