Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Even if Boogie plays at 20% it's not like the Warriors will care, he's replacing Zaza/McGee. Their whole thing was having 4 All Stars and a fairly weak center anyway. He fits the MLE so doesn't even bite into their cap space either. Worst case scenario they're stuck with Jordan Bell. It's just outrageous to me that this can happen, I know he's been telling reporters that this was the only offer tabled for him but I can't believe that for a second, I'm sure there were plenty of contracts available offering triple that salary.

It's the kind of contract you'd expect David West to take, not a 27 year old who was possibly the best center in the league before his injury.

I'm not sure what the Lakers are doing either, Rondo/Lance/McGee aren't exactly inspiring and they let Randle walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Edit: double post

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Unreal from Golden State. Clinical.

The Lakers have no shooters. They have no chance. They'll get to the playoffs, which is something, but it'll be when Kawhi comes for the 2020 season when things actually get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seems to me that LeBron intends to finish his career with the Lakers so - in that context - waiting for Kahwi Leonard next year just after he turns 28 makes sense. Pope, McGee, Stephenson, Rondo are all in on one year deals (and Zubac just has a year to go). So that's 31.75m off the books at the end of the year for Kawhi to come in. Deng's contract comes off the books in 2020 which will give them some room to improve over and above Kawhi.

This is a long term project.

Pope and McGee are good players imo, and Rondo has a lot of qualities. I don't like the mix overall for this year but LeBron obviously is backing himself for the next four years and hoping for the right mix to be put together during that time frame. GS getting Boogie makes everything else irrelevant, so this year doesn't really matter now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

It's just outrageous to me that this can happen, I know he's been telling reporters that this was the only offer tabled for him but I can't believe that for a second, I'm sure there were plenty of contracts available offering triple that salary.

Possibly but we either believe what he says or you, some random poster on a Irish basketball message board...
    Don't blame it on the sunshine
    Don't blame it on the moonlight
    Don't blame it on the good times
    Blame it on the Boogie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No harm at all if Cousins wanted to take less money to join a contender.

We criticise players enough for doing the opposite and chasing the money instead of rings.

Great move (yet again) by the Warriors.

If other teams start getting as many decisions right over the years as they have from coaching hires, drafting and acquisitions, then they'll be in a position to do the same. Until then, they should start focusing on doing so rather than whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mass brawl in World Cup Qualifiers:

Shocking stuff, big suspensions coming for a lot of these guys. Chairs thrown, Filipino officials holding one of the Australian Players while another punches him etc. Watched the post game interviews/news reports and the Head of Filipino Basketball and the Coach did not cover themselves in glory basically blaming the Australians and the refs and taking no responsibility themselves. While the refs were reviewing the tape the Filipino players took a group selfie - classy.

Filipino player basically starts it but it erupts when an Aussie retaliates with a big forearm. Then it goes WWE.

Ended up 5 v 3 (4 Aussies and 9 Filipino players DQ'ed), then one of the last Filipino players fouled out at which point game was abandoned. One Aussie got his a$$ royally kicked for being under the mess, and then got ejected.

There's an Aussie player under this:

1530582127742_G6U1N4N8C.1-2.jpg?imwidth=800&impolicy=.auto

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv5hZfl3JVXXuA53V5OF5qn77kY2xP1thEyO0sYO6dec3BSUp1gA

9933106-3x2-700x467.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

boomers-fight1.jpg

1530586656698_GP71N59KR.1-2.png?imwidth=800&impolicy=pn_v1

750a57e7156dbb6cbcac3a40928c7dff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

When do the 18/19 NBA fixtures get announced? Think it might have been near the end of August last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Obviously nothing wrong with Boogie signing with the Warriors but it must be driving the NBA crazy. I'd imagine an absolute powerhouse like that will be bad for ratings of other games/league pass subscriptions. Of course people will tune in to watch the Warriors every now and then when they play the Lakers/Rockets/Celtics but realistically how many people will watch them play Dallas on a. Tuesday night to see them win by 35+.

Obviously nothing wrong with Boogie signing with the Warriors but it must be driving the NBA crazy. I'd imagine an absolute powerhouse like that will be bad for ratings of other games/league pass subscriptions. Of course people will tune in to watch the Warriors every now and then when they play the Lakers/Rockets/Celtics but realistically how many people will watch them play Dallas on a. Tuesday night to see them win by 35+.

I will....to see Doncic!

But I get the point you’re making. A lot of games will be for the purists or fans of certain teams only. Audiences want a competitive league, not one with such an overwhelming favourite.

• Advertisement

qwabercd wrote: »
    When do the 18/19 NBA fixtures get announced? Think it might have been near the end of August last year.

Scheduled to drop either Wk1 or Wk2 of August as per nba.com

Christmas Day will most likely be GS V LAL.

While you can possibly understand some of the things they said after the game with emotions running high etc., this is just laughable from the Filipinos. They're just making things worse tbh.

This guy is an idiot:

https://twitter.com/Liam_Santa/status/1013805210051928064

Philippines coach Chot Reyes laid the blame squarely with the Australians, claiming they had created an atmosphere that prompted his players to react as strongly as they did, due to underhand treatment of his players earlier in the night.

That's a very one-sided view of what transpired. The Aussies aren't blameless in this by any means, but the Filipinos are by far the biggest offenders here.

Sobey gets a can of whoop ass opened on him...and then gets ejected for it. This after already taking a haymaker from Blatch under the basket.

https://twitter.com/Liam_Santa/status/1013934747809021952

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

I will....to see Doncic!

But I get the point you’re making. A lot of games will be for the purists or fans of certain teams only. Audiences want a competitive league, not one with such an overwhelming favourite.

I mean at this stage will people even play the likes of donocic against them or use is as a rest game

Earliest Boogie will Play will be Jan., and they’ll likely keep him off court for much longer. Think people are slightly over-reacting on this. With Houston going backwards being a year older and losing Ariza, GS were always the favourites anyway.

Earliest Boogie will Play will be Jan., and they’ll likely keep him off court for much longer. Think people are slightly over-reacting on this. With Houston going backwards being a year older and losing Ariza, GS were always the favourites anyway.

I totally agree, once I’ve had a few days to think about it logically, I was thinking the same as this, he won’t be the same player and if he gets close to that level it will take a while before he gets there.
    I still think it is a big psychological win for the Warriors, oh Lebron to LA with a few average players, ok...We just got Boogie.

Warriors to sign Melo for veterans min ? Sure why not, just to see if they could actually make twitter implode

Warriors to sign Melo for veterans min ? Sure why not, just to see if they could actually make twitter implode

TBH I wouldn't take Melo at all, veterans minimum or not. He doesn't fit with that team. He'll also prob. think he's going to start.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784798-carmelo-anthony-thunder-reportedly-parting-ways-this-summer-via-trade-buyout

Carmelo Anthony, Thunder Reportedly Parting Ways This Summer Via Trade, Buyout

July 6, 2018

hi-res-310668db1288f31b2a4eecec4489bd0e_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top
    Sue Ogrocki/Associated Press
    The Oklahoma City Thunder are reportedly planning to part ways with veteran forward Carmelo Anthony this offseason.
    According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Royce Young, OKC is working with Melo's agent, Leon Rose, to either trade him, use the stretch provision or utilize a combination of the stretch provision and a buyout.
    Anthony recently exercised his one-year contract option to return to the Thunder in 2018-19 at a value of nearly $28 million, per Spotrac.
    If and when Anthony hits the open market, the Houston Rockets will be among his suitors, according to Marc Stein of the New York Times.
    Houston was rumored to be in the market for Melo last offseason before he was dealt to OKC.
    Per Wojnarowski and Young, the Thunder will look to move Anthony to a team that wants to acquire an expiring contract in order to create salary-cap space for next offseason.
    Failing that, using the stretch provision would allow the Thunder to save $107 million on their 2018-19 payroll and tax bill.
    In that scenario, Melo would count for $9.3 million against OKC's cap over three years.
    The stretch could be a desirable option for the Thunder considering they currently have an NBA-record $310 million payroll and luxury-tax bill.
    Moving on from Anthony would also make sense from a basketball perspective since Melo is reportedly unhappy with his role as a stretch power forward.
    He played small forward for essentially his entire career, and the switch led to a significant drop in production last season.
    The 34-year-old averaged a career-low 16.2 points per game to go along with 5.8 rebounds and 1.3 assists. He also shot just 40.4 percent from the floor and 35.7 percent from long range.
    Prior to last season, the 10-time All-Star had never averaged less than 20 points per game in a single campaign.

According to Wojnarowski and Young, Melo has no interest in being relegated to a bench role. :D:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

The Thunder acquired Anthony last offseason in a trade with the New York Knicks that sent Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a second-round pick to the Big Apple.
    Although Melo and the Thunder reached the playoffs, they were ousted by the Utah Jazz in the first round.
    With guard Russell Westbrook running the show and Paul George back in the fold, there is hope for OKC to be a threat in the Western Conference once again next season.
    Assuming Anthony isn't part of the equation, the Thunder may opt to go with a big lineup that features both center Steven Adams and recently signed big man Nerlens Noel on the floor at the same time.
    Rounding things out is forward Jerami Grant, who will likely pick up many of the minutes vacated by Anthony.

TBH I wouldn't take Melo at all, veterans minimum or not. He doesn't fit with that team. He'll also prob. think he's going to start.

Oh yea, 100% but you know....just for the laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

McLoughlin wrote: »

Kinda shocked, thought he’d be a Spur for life.

Will be strange not having Parker in Spurs uniform, wonder if it has anything to do with Leonard coming back, Parker did call him out a bit

Will be strange not having Parker in Spurs uniform, wonder if it has anything to do with Leonard coming back, Parker did call him out a bit

Yeah I thought that too, but I can't see Kawhi coming back willingly at this stage. Parker wasn't the only one calling him out, there's a lot of others still left there that did too.

Zach LaVine 78 million.....well ok then....

Zach LaVine 78 million.....well ok then....

:eek:

:eek:

Well at least the Bulls had the cop on to include injury clauses unlike Sacramento apparently. They’re way over-paying though, and taking a chunk out of their cap space for next year.

Dwight Howard to Washington for 2 years. Austin Rivers, Dwight and Wall in the same locker room......yeah, that’ll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

There are a core group of people online who believe LaVine will fulfill that contract and then some, I'd really like to know what they've been drinking.

• Advertisement

Among the 540 players who logged at least one NBA minute in 2017-18, Carmelo Anthony's minus-three Wins Over Replacement Player ranked 537th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement