Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think when all is said and done, the weather models, despite run on run variation, have done a sterling job in handling today's situation well in advance. Without them, there could have been greater loss of life (which is little comfort to those who lost loved ones today). I read once a prominent meteorologist claimed that computer models were the 'cancer of meteorology', but no, they really are not. Anyone who would hold such a view is someone who really doesn't get what they achieve.

This is the ECMWF chart from last Wednesday when it first picked up on the storm, track and intensity are nearly perfect which for such a complex and unusual system is incredible

ECM1-120_sme4.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is the ECMWF chart from last Wednesday when it first picked up on the storm, track and intensity are nearly perfect which for such a complex and unusual system is incredible

ECM1-120_sme4.GIF

And this is the same model for Saturday:

ECU1-120.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sdanseo wrote: »
    Just coming back to this one that I mentioned was on the island (in fact, 6.5km offshore).

https://twitter.com/FastnetLHouse/status/919878538664300545

Allowing for the fact that we measure in a 10-minute average and the NHC use 1-minute, I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that Ophelia hit us as a Category 2 Hurricane Force Extratropical Cyclone. Joanna was spot on.

Well the lighthous is 54 metres above water so, like Kinsale Energy, it is prone to much higher winds than at the standard 10 metres. But reducing it to standard height, it still would have been Beaufort 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

sdanseo wrote: »
    And this is the same model for Saturday:

ECU1-120.GIF

Are you saying another Hurricane is coming next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I wonder does Ventusky adjust its reporting based on actual data feeds or is it based on a particular set of model projections that are loaded in advance?

• Advertisement

Malayalam wrote: »

The same forecast model that accurately predicted this one is predicting similar next week.

The chances of it being right twice in a row are surely hundreds to one. But worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mean speed of 17kts now at Dublin airport, it's windier here in West Clare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Malayalam wrote: »

There won't be another hurricane next weekend. Even this storm wasn't a hurricane by the time it hit Ireland.

511 wrote: »
    There won't be another hurricane next weekend. Even this storm wasn't a hurricane by the time it hit Ireland.

It was an extratropical storm with at least Category One Hurricane force max winds. Every Met/RTÉ forecast for the last 24hrs has made this distinction, that it was not the tail end of a hurricane, it WAS a hurricane.

All but the very last NHC advisory this morning classified it as a Hurricane.

Technical nomenclature made small difference to those on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Thanks a million guys. All your graphs, charts and MT's excellent forecasts all week have helped me out big time. We did not get as strong I thought here in Cavan. Still the early warning was invaluable regarding getting the yard all tied down.

Still fairly windy in Virginia. Wind not as strong but still quite gusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

511 wrote: »

Is there a major storm coming on October 21st?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is there a major storm coming on October 21st?

its on some of the models alright, earlier days yet, but may not be as bad as today

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Thanks for sharing your expertise folks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

kadman wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your expertise folks
    Yes. It was most useful. Thank you all. Will be interesting to compare this event with Debbie.

A nice Day/Night satellite image of Ophelia at 0247Z this morning (just visible in the top left). Look a the wildfires raging in Portugal and Galicia.

2017AL17_SRSNPPTN_201710160247.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

La.de.da wrote: »
    That was an interesting and scary day. Winds I've never experienced before here in Tipperary.

Lots of damage and debris around. Power just back on now.

Thanks a lot to all the contributors, ye have been a great help.

Yes it has been quiet interesting and informal not just today but over the past couple of days. I have been a lurker but I must say I have learned a lot about weather charts and how mother nature can throw up once in a lifetime weather events like the the one we witnessed today. I too would like to thank all the contributors who gave up their time and expertise to inform us all of how big this event has turned out to be.

A nice warm image of the circulation now.

20171016.1715.msg3.x.wv1km.17LOPHELIA.70kts-969mb-498N-127W.100pc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Just leaving a note of sincere gratitude (even if it will be deleted as not being technical). Thank you all ... signing out from cyber storm chasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrsweasley

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'm in Enniscorthy in Wexford and in the last 40 minutes the wind seems to have really stepped it up a notch.

Is this caused by the shift in the wind direction?

It seems to be getting even stronger now than it was at 12.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Lissavane wrote: »
    Yes. It was most useful. Will be interesting to compare this event with Debbie.

I don't think it compares at all, though I haven't seen much wind data for today, but at guess, I think Debbie's legacy remains well and truly unchallenged at this point.

New Moon

Have to hand it to Joanna, she's played a blinder. Very informative broadcasts over the past few days, and went to the trouble of putting up this extra technical information broadcast on the website earlier today, explaining the process of extratropical transition and lots else.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10790153/

One for the weather forum archives.

yipp.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    One for the weather forum archives.

yipp.png

There was 3092 on it this morning

Very odd. UKMO have released a video of tomorrow's weather forecast. (As in, broadcast tomorrow, dated tomorrow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-Xg_q05iM

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tefral wrote: »

Over 5,000 at one stage this afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Tefral wrote: »

I saw over 5000 on after the 9.30 forecast last night, probably the most since December 2010

Also a big thanks to meteorite, lumi and Docarch as well for keeping things running smoothly, must have been a crazy couple of days trying to keep on top of things with people constantly posting in the wrong threads and the forum playing up!

So 'only' 1743 on now. Small fry I guess compared the usual 2 or 3 most times I pay a visit to see who might be getting a bit of drizzle.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

....trying....

Key word, in a number of ways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Have to hand it to Joanna, she's played a blinder. Very informative broadcasts over the past few days, and went to the trouble of putting up this extra technical information broadcast on the website earlier today, explaining the process of extratropical transition and lots else.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10790153/
    I agree i really like the way Joanna handled her broadcasts over the past few days. She always goes into great detail and simplifies the charts in a way the ordinary Joe soap can understand. Well done Joanna.

Advertisement