Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I don't think it compares at all, though I haven't seen much wind data for today, but at guess, I think Debbie's legacy remains well and truly unchallenged at this point.

Agree fully. Max gust here on my Davis (albeit at ten feet, not standard 10 metres) was 46 knots. Nearest station comparable to me for Debbie 1961 was Birr, gust record nearly double that. It was pretty blowy out today no doubt, but Debbie must have been really frightening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/920000013148868608
    Wide spread to gusts around the coast at 7pm, Ophelia significantly impacting on UK coast too.

Wunderground on Ophelia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Latest Wind Map @19:00...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-6.20,55.05,3000/loc=-5.060,54.003

Still pretty strong along the south and east coasts (87kph off Isle of Man).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Just a follower of this thread and thankfully escaped Ophelia unscathed here. A big shout out to all the relevant and expert postings here over the past few days - informative and interesting in equal measure, so well done everyone ! Kudos also to Johanna Donnelly for her plainspeak and measured broadcasts in what must have been difficult and uncertain times for Met Éireann. Well done all .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK Met surface analysis sequence since Saturday showing the evolution of the storm. Posting it here just for archival purposes as it isn't everyday we get hit by a storm that has so recently transitioned from a full blown hurricane.

animation.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

As an avid lamppost watcher for many years I have to commend the professional expertise of the regular chart busters on this forum and say a massive well done to you all. God bless. M.

Agree fully. Max gust here on my Davis (albeit at ten feet, not standard 10 metres) was 46 knots. Nearest station comparable to me for Debbie 1961 was Birr, gust record nearly double that. It was pretty blowy out today no doubt, but Debbie must have been really frightening.

Indeed. A storm with the absolute ferocity of Debbie is something I don't expect to witness in my lifetime in this country. Many older folks who did witness it say they would never want to see the likes of it again, but still, I yearn that one day, just one day...

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Nice thread. Interesting to follow. I wonder will we see another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Just want to thank everyone who posted information to this thread, im also happy enough with met eireann and rte for their coverage and the fact that everyone was well warned about this. I'm on the Clare/Limerick border so I was prepared well in advance for this despite crapping my pants and it paid off, no damage to the house here at all (Darwin destroyed the place before) so i'm thankful. Hopefully we don't see events like this for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Autochange wrote: »
    Nice thread. Interesting to follow. I wonder will we see another one?

I’d like to think it would be another 50 years until the next visitation, but somehow the climate change evidence points to a more frequent occurrence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Unlikely that we'll see another Hurricane approach our shores so closely anytime in the next few years, but fingers crossed for some Snowthread action this winter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

In my local area, in my living memory at 41 years old, Ophelia wasn't as destructive as Darwin Feb 2014 and Christmas Eve 1997 and 5th January 1991. The gusts weren't as high.

But that's just locally. On a national scale the pics from the south in particular are frightening and the sad loss of life. I think Debbie, 1839 etc are still unchallenged though.

I think Met Eireann and the media deserve a lot of credit and i think we would have had more fatalities only for their excellent coverage.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Unlikely that we'll see another Hurricane approach our shores so closely anytime in the next few years, but fingers crossed for some Snowthread action this winter :)

The winter season, if you could call it that, maybe it's our new hurricane season, has certainly gotten off to a dramatic start.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

nagdefy wrote: »
    The winter season, if you could call it that, maybe it's our new hurricane season, has certainly gotten off to a dramatic start.

With that other thread regarding a potential 'hurricane' over the weekend, who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In my local area, in my living memory at 41 years old, Ophelia wasn't as destructive as Darwin Feb 2014 and Christmas Eve 1997 and 5th January 1991. The gusts weren't as high.

But that's just locally. On a national scale the pics from the south in particular are frightening and the sad loss of life. I think Debbie, 1839 etc are still unchallenged though.

I think Met Eireann and the media deserve a lot of credit and i think we would have had more fatalities only for their excellent coverage.

Agreed ME pulled a blinder on this.
    I still can't understand those who said it was hype.
    3 killed , 17% of all households/businesses without power. Untold damage to property. Transport networks shut down.Millions of euro lost to the economy.

I'm just glad it wasn't as bad as I had feared.

Agreed ME pulled a blinder on this.
    I still can't understand those who said it was hype.
    3 killed , 17% of all households/businesses without power. Untold damage to property. Transport networks shut down.Millions of euro lost to the economy.

I'm just glad it wasn't as bad as I had feared.

Very true.

At least power outages, financial costs etc can in time be recovered, at great loss to individuals and businesses but the real cost of a severe weather event is loss of life. They can't be replaced. And to limit it to as low a figure as possible is the real achievement and aim of forecasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Is there another thread?! That looks like windy, normal windy, weather Thursday or Friday to me. The worst seems to be to the south on the GFS.
    Yep, here. Its developing, but who knows! Nothing surprises me anymore. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798209

Heres to hoping if it is happening, the boards team will have us as prepared as they did for Ophelia :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Is there another thread?! That looks like windy, normal windy, weather Thursday or Friday to me. The worst seems to be to the south on the GFS.

I think they are talking about this.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.7;-2.9;5&l=gust&t=20171021/00

Those on the other thread who understand the weather much more than i do say chances are low and there are lots of variables at play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

What was the highest gust recorded on mainland Ireland?
    I know Fastnet was 191km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

What was the highest gust recorded on mainland Ireland?
    I know Fastnet was 191km.

191km/h at Fastnet Rock (6.5km SW of Cape Clear Co. Cork))
    156km/h at Roches Point
    135km/h at Sherkin Island (before a loss of power)
    126km/h at Cork Airport (before a loss of power)
    122km/h at Shannon Airport

I recorded a gust just outside Athlone of 93kmh at 13:20, but most of the time the gusts were peaking at 70kmh with average winds of 40kmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Reati wrote: »
    191km/h at Fastnet Rock (6.5km SW of Cape Clear Co. Cork))
    156km/h at Roches Point
    135km/h at Sherkin Island (before a loss of power)
    126km/h at Cork Airport (before a loss of power)
    122km/h at Shannon Airport

Waterford Airport was 137km/h

22449752_1523618357725167_8719619654949901997_n.jpg?oh=d1e7912e5c62a5c972f80d64a1dcbb5b&oe=5A83F282

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

I wonder if the official stations have battery backup for recording data and the loss of grid power only drops communications. Surely this is the case.

Met Eireann hourly analysis. 11z frame missing and did not get time to go further. Still, nice to have to look back on:

fin.gif

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Could anyone provide charts etc of how this may impact the Firth of Forth (Edinburgh/Fife).

Got worried, elderly family texting me non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If this is a case of the ESB going, they should have had some backup power? The observations for the hour could presumaby be stored locally until broadcast later if there was backup power. I mean, Cork Airport was hardly cut off from the world today.

It's going to happen that exposed meteorological sites experience power cuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

MJohnston wrote: »

Did someone say snow? I had better start a thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

What were the rainfall metrics yesterday? I expected heavy rain in Galway but it seemed quite patchy and there is no flooding today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What were the rainfall metrics yesterday? I expected heavy rain in Galway but it seemed quite patchy and there is no flooding today.

You can see rainfall totals for yesterday here: http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

Advertisement