Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Sting jets usually occur on the S/SW side of storm lows if there is a significant injection of dry air being drawn in. Don' have access to satellite imagry but going by forecast track of low, western/NW counties would be most at risk if a SJ was to occur, but low chance of it happening to be honest.

Why is that? Is it because it's an ex hurricane and the track of the system, that it can't interact with the jet in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

71kts max at 11am, still nothing more than a typical storm. Should peak in the next couple of hours on the south coast.

No reports from Sherkin..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Why is that? Is it because it's an ex hurricane and the track of the system, that it can't interact with the jet in that way.

I'm no expert Nacho, but I think you would the need the storm centre to interact with some deep dry, polar air, which I don't think is happening with this one at the moment (yet at least). I am open to being corrected on this.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'm no expert Nacho, but I think you would the need the storm centre to interact with some deep dry, polar air, which I don't think is happening with this one at the moment (yet at least). I am open to being corrected on this.

Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation Oneiric 3:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think there is some type of sting jet occuring now.

This satellite image shows cloud top heights in colours. The bright blue spiral to the south is around 8 km height, but we can see the colour change to orange as it spirals around the east and north of the storm. By the time it reaches the southern centre of it it's down to orange (1000 m), so in effect the high cloud has spiralled downwards into the centre, dissipating the cloud as it does so.

It is best seen in this animation (live animation, so will change with time).

Click the image for the hi res version.

37060546983_e77b694901.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

WEB_Analysis.png?1140

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

WEB_radar4_201710161130.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Mid Kerry
    from my weather station

wxStationGraphAll?day=16&year=2017&month=10&ID=ICOKERRY3&width=700&showsolarradiation=0&showuv=0&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1&type=type=3

star gazer wrote: »
    WEB_radar4_201710161130.png

Great image. I know its extratropical now, but it seems to resemble those radar images from Miami etc you see when a hurricane eye and the surrounding bands move through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭crushproof

Fastnet Lighthouse‏ [ltr]@FastnetLHouse[/ltr]  5m5 minutes ago
    More

Avg Wind:82kts, Gust:101kts, Wind Dir:220 °(SW), Gust Dir:222 °(SW) at 16/10/2017 11:50:00

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That sting jet that Gaoth Laidir spoke of looks to be going to impact the SE of the country.
    Literally in the last 5 minutes,winds have increased enormously in the SE.

WV at 9z

seviri_nat_wv_high_20171016_0800.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

K1 buoy had maximum 3h pressure rise of 25 mb after passage of low, an extreme value indeed.

May indicate potential for stronger gusts after low passes on west coast, Tralee to Galway Bay, next 3-4 hours.

Clare generally at risk of damaging gusts from WSW during this phase (1400h).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork airport, no gust but mean speed for 43kts in the 12pm METAR

Wider perspective as of 10z. Looks almost Darwinian:

seviri_eurnat_wv6-2_20171016_0900.jpg

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Storm has a well-defined eye now as per latest sat

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Barometer reading 967 hpa and dropping

Sustained winds averaging 55 km/ h

East Limerick / cork border

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bad gusts in West Clare now.

12pm TAF issued, Dublin now expecting a max gust of 57kts (Was 55), Cork now expecting 74kts (Was 70), Knock expecting 58kts (was 60).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like a clear has developed in the eye???

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Knock expecting 58kts (was 60).

Divil a difference tbh.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Highest gust on 1200 report is 84kn at Roches Point....that's 156kmh!

Sherkin Island is not reporting!

Is Sherkin Island offline for this? Looks like the strongest winds are right into the island but no reports from the station

• Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

M3 buoy seems to be dropping in pressure again:

430770.PNG

As an aside - ESB's Powercheck map service has failed because they have exceeded their Google Maps API rate limit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is Sherkin Island offline for this? Looks like the strongest winds are right into the island but no reports from the station

Was reporting earlier....probably broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

M3 buoy reports = bad data since 10:00 (09z)

disregard until fixed

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Was reporting earlier....probably broke!

Hopefully its still recording, if the map in GL's post is accurate then its probably above 90kts

150,000 without power now according to RTE and two people seriously injured in Waterford by a tree falling on their car

Hopefully its still recording, if the map in GL's post is accurate then its probably above 90kts

Hopefully. Possibly just communications down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sherkin with a max gust of 137 km/hr as per the current live forecast, so she is still alive.

Advertisement