Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Power gone in parts of Cork already :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sherkin gusting 55kn on 0800 reports.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

....and a possible sting jet later

She seemed quite enthusiastic about that! :) Not sure realistic the prospect is for it in this storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭ps200306

Sunrise on Ophelia:

9TK5Vhi.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Getting lively in Tralee gusting 70 km/h SE

2mrdJMI.gif

F1kroaC.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

rafales_uk_olg9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Joanna Donnelly on radio now just mentioned gusts >150 kph and a possible sting jet later

Realistically, what are the chances of a sting jet occurring?

How are those predicted?

AXKpxD5.png

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Mon 16 Oct 2017 06:00 to Tue 17 Oct 2017 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 16 Oct 2017 00:40
    Forecaster: VAN DER VELDE
    A level 1 was issued for W Ireland and W Scotland mainly for isolated tornadoes.

Note: Extremely severe winds are forecast for Ireland, produced by synoptic/mesoscale conditions which are outside the scope of our convective threat level system.

SYNOPSIS

A large part of Europe is under anticyclonic conditions with stable weather. On Sunday, the southwestern flow over the Atlantic has carried a hurricane intensifying to category 3 into European waters. This system is currently transitioning rapidly into a strong post-tropical cyclone as it moves to Ireland. Cold air mass has now wrapped around the core, forming a cold front and occlusion leading into an isolated warm core. This cold front should touch the south coast of Ireland by 06Z. The core of the low is forecast by GFS run of 18Z to track along the west coast of Ireland, with a dramatic pressure gradient of about 25 hPa across Ireland at 12Z. Models forecast the strongest winds along Ireland's south coast around 12Z of up to 40 m/s sustained with 10m gusts in the 160-180 km/h range. This should cause widespread damage, but since deep convection no longer plays a role in it, we do not issue level 3 for this. The other component is excessive rain, and models predict 30-50 mm rain mainly along the Irish west coast, with a possible convective contribution.

DISCUSSION

As we are concerned with convective severe weather threats, the occlusion north of the low is the most interesting. Although is predicted to contain only 100-300 J/kg MUCAPE, often from elevated parcels, very strong winds veering with height create 300-600 m2/s2 of 0-3 km SREH and over 17 m/s 0-1 km shear vectors. This supports tornadogenesis if convection really manages to form and stay alive. Differential theta-e advection in the low levels could destabilize the situation. The highest potential for development is along the west coast of Ireland. After this band, only shallow convection seems possible. Isolated thunder may occur elsewhere (SW UK, W France) from elevated convection.

....with 10m gusts in the 160-180 km/h range.

*whistles*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have we some sort of an eye trying to redevelop again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Could I ask a question of the technical "team" who are doing such a wonderful job? :D

Joanna talks about the potential for a stingjet and I know the structure of it (forms high, descends, high winds, lots of damage), however what I don't know is-how would we know it happened? Will satellite or short range models show it or is it a case of going by local reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Smart Buoys should make for interesting reading today...

https://twitter.com/IrishLights/lists/irish-lights-smart-buoys

Fastnet will show elevated wind speed - the sensor is at a height.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Wind already seems very violent in Clonmel. It's already on par with how bad I remember it being in 2014. If this is just the start, I'm extremely concerned.

Joanna talks about the potential for a stingjet and I know the structure of it (forms high, descends, high winds, lots of damage), however what I don't know is-how would we know it happened?

Local reports generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

Latest ECMWF at 9km

ecm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It has been gusting close to 30kts since about 03.00 in Castlebar, touching 40kts at times in the last two hours, Ophelia is very consistent so far to say the least.

Roches Point with a max gust of 58kts on the 09.00 report.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

M3 Buoy data of interest:

430751.jpeg

430752.jpeg

M5 will also be worth watching as an indicator of eastward extension

430753.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

https://en.sat24.com/en

Quite impressive-looking on sat24. Looks like it will seriously pack a punch in some areas. Expecting a 120/130 gust around these parts...160/170 in the SW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

It doesn't appear to be all that far west on Sat24

rafales_uk_omc8.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

What's the barometric at the centre ? Too many isobars for my eyesight :)

Anyone know if the Kinsale Energy buoy listed here:
    https://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp
    Is an actual buoy, or are they using the same elevated data as the weather station there?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Kinsale Energy buoy listed here:
    https://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp
    Is an actual buoy, or are they using the same elevated data as the weather station there?

Not a buoy. As far as I am aware station is at approx. 100m over sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Could I ask a question of the technical "team" who are doing such a wonderful job? :D

Joanna talks about the potential for a stingjet and I know the structure of it (forms high, descends, high winds, lots of damage), however what I don't know is-how would we know it happened? Will satellite or short range models show it or is it a case of going by local reports?

Water vapour imagery will show it up as a very dark small area of dry air near the tip of the occlusion.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not a buoy. As far as I am aware station is at approx. 100m over sea level.

Yeah, weird that they list it on the buoys page, but surely if it is recording wave heights, it must have some sea level observation capabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

This is what the Arpege model shows for 9am, max gusts around 100-110kph on the south coast which is exactly what we have so far. Expecting a peak around 140-150kh around midday to 1pm if it keeps up its accuracy before the storm quickly weakens as it moves north

arpegeuk-11-8-0_jrb6.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/919844165164392448
    Gusts of 80 knots at Fastnet rock
    58 knots Roches point

Thought I would add this positional graphics chart for historical reference purposes. The last advisory on Ophelia was issued at 11pm EDT (4am here) by the NHC. Not sure the next time the NHC will be issuing advisories for our part of the world. Add 5 hours to the chart times.

430755.jpg

M3 latest hourly observations down to 976.4mb (from 980), wind speed largely the same at 40G53 (up from 39G49), significant wave heights up quite a bit to 5.47m (from 4.06m)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah, weird that they list it on the buoys page, but surely if it is recording wave heights, it must have some sea level observation capabilities?

I think the anemometer is at about 100 metres as this is where helicopters land but they do have wave sensors too.

From Kinsale-energy.ie...

37729387741_118c0a502a.jpg

37729387801_1f4516039f.jpg

Advertisement