Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The voice acting is shocking! can you play with Japanese voice overs and English subs?

Yep. From the eShop release thread
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Japanese Voice Pack – free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

chrislad wrote: »
    My reservation email says Nintendo Switch game clearly.

Not the mail, the text confirming the order has arrived in-store. (I couldn't directly reserve, I had to order it to store for collection from Monday and it's arrived in today)
    Didn't have a mail when I posted, it's arrived now, my mail says Switch clearly too, quotes the price. Can't pick it up today, but they're holding it for a while. Normally the mail is enough to get them to honour the original price if they resolve it later. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Banjo wrote: »
    They'll charge you 40 due to rounding, and you know they're going to pocket that 1c and invest it in Alba's Microwave Oven division?

Edit :
    Just got a text off them confirming a reservation. Argos Mystery solved : It's in the system as a 3DS game. Text says "Nintendo 3DS New Release" so they've priced it that way. It's clearly listed on the site as Xenoblade 2 and has the Switch box.
    Has anyone picked it up and confirmed they give you the right game?
    If you reserved it via an "order in to store..." option, I'd recommend you print up a copy of the page as it appears today so you have at least some grounds for dispute later.

I picked mine up earlier in Limerick, it’s the right game, the guy at the counter was having a look for a minute before stamping the receipt but said nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just reserved it at work on the PC, then nipped over and collected it with the reservation machine in the middle of the floor, minimal human contact, aside from the minion that handed it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The voice acting is shocking! can you play with Japanese voice overs and English subs?

Shocking, isn't?! When main character opened his mouth at the beggining I had needle on a recorder moment. All epic and stuff and some lad from the pub started talking crap.

Then you hear proper Scottish accent on one npc... How could they match it so wrong. I am really consodering jap pack myself now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shocking, isn't?! When main character opened his mouth at the beggining I had needle on a recorder moment. All epic and stuff and some lad from the pub started talking crap.

Then you hear proper Scottish accent on one npc... How could they match it so wrong. I am really consodering jap pack myself now.

Not surprised tbh, the English voice over was horrible for the game on the wii too.

Rexes sword has massive.... you know... "talents". No wonder he agreed to help. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

chrislad wrote: »
    Damn you, Tony. No more Strava kudos for you! :D

You doing the 4 bridges in the morning Chris?

Okay, I started off and only like 3h++ in, but I have no clue what I am doing.
    Got to the point where I am let lose in open area, so I just fight anything just to get the hang of combat.

So you auto attack stuff. Then when you do enough hits, you get abilities to use.
    Is there any point saving them up, then just spam them as soon as they ready? Thats of course when you position yourself properly. As by the looks of it, you want to spam them as it build ups your special ability. So what am I missing?
    I still dont get that third attack thing. I lose count very fast and dont know whats the difference and why I even need to know when is third a attack.
    Special abilities and building afinity. So you need to be close to your blade. Thing is its always next to you, so what is the point of whole distance thing?
    Special abilities. You can combo them with your team mate. So from what I sow, your party members are very independent, which great. The only thing you tell them is when to use special. So am I right to say that if you use party members special, then its status thingy is up ( that bar with element that goes down ), if you use your own while that bar is up, you combine them both? Or is there narrower window? Do I need to time it that both party members would have specials at the same time.

I have to say, I was really afraid that combat system will leave me very confused, and it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

tony1980 wrote: »
    You doing the 4 bridges in the morning Chris?

Doubtful. I'm just over a flu. Haven't been out in nearly 2 weeks. Hopefully be able to get back out for a short one over the weekend but nothing intense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Okay, I started off and only like 3h++ in, but I have no clue what I am doing.

This TBH is a major problem with the series, among others. I have no interest in playing this (disliked the last two and this looks like more of the same with lashings of the most shameless anime fan service) and therefore obviously have nothing of worth to say about the specifics of this one. But the other Xenoblade games are a mess of unsatisfying systems, dizzying levels of design bloat, and overbusy combat. I know someone (coughretrocough) will be along soon to argue otherwise, but I genuinely feel these games go well beyond being satisfyingly complex and instead are merely unnecessarily obtuse and convoluted. I'm sure it might start making more sense after three dozen hours.. but **** that :)

Jason Schreier's review of this certainly reflects my experiences with the earlier games (captivatingly drawn worlds with systems that try their best to limit your enjoyment of exploring them): https://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-2-the-kotaku-review-1820903229

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Xenoblade Wii's system was quite satisfying once it clicked, and to be honest it wasn't/shouldn't have been long at all. X was a bit more of a slog but it had other, bigger problems imo.

Fair play to anyone who picked up the game in Argos earlier, fantastic deal. Will wait until the new year to pick it up myself when the backlog has eased. Can't be putting part time attempts into a Xenoblade game :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a genuine relief, JU, to know it isn't just me!
    Xenoblade Chronicles X looks amazing but the combat and mission system is just too convoluted.
    I mean, shouldn't the rule always be that a complex system must add significantly to a subject or be discarded?
    Okay, everything doesn't have to be BotW in terms of combat, not that I wouldn't have appreciated it, but the systems just locked off XCX for me, ending up a dust collector on a shelf instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Any argos stock not picked up will pop up for reservations around 7:30 tonight so F5 the hell out of it from then onwards.

http://checkargos.com/product/7238789

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

I have a reservation in Liffey Valley that is valid until close of business tonight if someone wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It would appear that EDGE don't see this as a masterpiece. I know some people here hold their(EDGE's) opinion above other sites and publications. They've tore into other games as well:

Review scores:

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - 4
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 7
    Call of Duty: WWII - 7
    Need for Speed Payback - 4
    Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - 5
    Hidden Agenda - 4
    Bury Me, My Love - 7
    Million Onion Hotel - 8

For comparison, they gave XCX a 7 and the original XC a 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    It would appear that EDGE don't see this as a masterpiece. I know some people here hold their(EDGE's) opinion above other sites and publications. They've tore into other games as well:

Review scores:

Hidden Agenda - 4
    Bury Me, My Love - 7
    Million Onion Hotel - 8

7 is a good score though :confused:

Reviewers seem to throw about 9s and 10s way to often nowadays.

sligeach wrote: »

Review scores:

Hidden Agenda - 4
    Bury Me, My Love - 7
    Million Onion Hotel - 8

Edge have long tired of having to explain their scoring system.
    A seven is said to represent a good game but with flaws, a title that will certainly appeal to fans of the genre but the aforementioned flaws may alienate it from non-fans.

Here's the reference key from their wiki page
    Edge scores games on a ten-point scale, from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 10, with five as ostensibly the average rating. For much of the magazine's run, the magazine's review policy stated that the scores broadly correspond to one of the following "sentiments":

1 - disastrous

2 - appalling

3 - severely flawed

4 - disappointing

5 - average

6 - competent

7 - distinguished

8 - excellent

9 - astounding

10 - revolutionary

In a nutshell, a seven is not a disaster, perhaps not as high a score as would have been expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Still same price on ie but up to £49.99 on uk argos.

Screen grab your reservation if you have one and hope for the best. Seems Argos play hardball now as the price you pay is on the day of pick up, worth a go. It always was a duck up price at €38.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I collected mine earlier, but as someone else said the receipt says Nintendo 3DS New Release so someone entering the game into the system made a booboo and priced it as a 3DS game.

Now I have Odyssey, Zelda, MK8, Xenoblade and Screen Protectors but no Switch :pac:

2 sitting pretty in Drogheda

You could head up in the Caa, while 8-tin a Sta-baa

Crazy mod say wha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This TBH is a major problem with the series, among others. I have no interest in playing this (disliked the last two and this looks like more of the same with lashings of the most shameless anime fan service) and therefore obviously have nothing of worth to say about the specifics of this one. But the other Xenoblade games are a mess of unsatisfying systems, dizzying levels of design bloat, and overbusy combat. I know someone (coughretrocough) will be along soon to argue otherwise, but I genuinely feel these games go well beyond being satisfyingly complex and instead are merely unnecessarily obtuse and convoluted. I'm sure it might start making more sense after three dozen hours.. but **** that :)

Jason Schreier's review of this certainly reflects my experiences with the earlier games (captivatingly drawn worlds with systems that try their best to limit your enjoyment of exploring them): https://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-2-the-kotaku-review-1820903229

The battle systems in the games aren't that bad. The only issue is they are badly explained but the complication and bloat isn't really needed until the late game and by that stage you'll have a hang of it. At the start of the game all you really need to co concentrate on is chaining status effects, the stun topple and launch combo.

The series does have issues with explaining its systems and often times there's a lot of unnecessary complication that you just end up ignoring but it doesn't mean the combat is bad. Once it clicks it's very satisfying and probably the only real time RPG combat that actually works and requires strategy.

If you want a real mess of confusing he over complicated combat then look at xenogers, a game the Kirkuk reviewer says is great....

Saying that. I've not even fought enything yet so it might be worse than the last 2.

Crazy mod say wha

Ah, you don't speak Drogheda, that's okay.
    I'll translate

There are two copies in the Drogheda store.
    You could drive up, have a snack on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I got my notification to collect in blanch! If I don't get the 38 quid price I'll be mildly annoyed.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sparko

Just got it for 38 in Argos in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

G'damn Tiger Tiger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played a good chunk of this today.

It takes a long time to get going but once it does it's excellent. The combat is still excellent and while it's quite complicated this game does a lot better at explaining how the systems work.... even if it's still handled in a clunky manner.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Played a good chunk of this today.

It takes a long time to get going but once it does it's excellent. The combat is still excellent and while it's quite complicated this game does a lot better at explaining how the systems work.... even if it's still handled in a clunky manner.

I was going to highlight one portion of this post but pretty much all of it means I'll be likely trading in Xenoblade in the coming days.... :(

Advertisement