Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Options
  • 10-10-2017 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Its probably time to start a thread for this, less than 2 months to go before launch. Im super looking forward to it, xenoblade wii i would rank as one of the greatest games ive ever played. cant wait to spend christmas break getting stuck into 2.

Xenoblade is a fantastic JRPG franchise that has rarely received the attention it deserves. The previous two entries embraced the hardcore audience with their staggering open worlds and imaginative characters, yet they seldom penetrated the mainstream.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back, bringing a broad, gorgeous adventure to Nintendo Switch later this year, although a solid release date hasn’t yet been announced, leaving us with only a brief trailer to whet our appetite.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xenoblade-chronicles-2-release-date-gameplay-trailer-switch-characters-story-2993172#0QEOpHKmiRkzEEgd.99

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Between Xenoblade Chronicles and Chronicles X, while I can appreciate the complex world, the creature designs, the colossal plot and just the gosh darn magnificence of it all, leading me to own them on Wii, 3DS and WiiU, I just can't for the life of me figure out the combat system, meaning they remain lost to me.
    Now, a new one looms on the horizon and I am torn, do I buy it and let it taunt me from the shelf, alongside it's brothers and sisters, or do I stick my fingers in my ears and go "La La La" and pretend the game doesn't exist....

Hmm, might need to start a poll....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I started Chronicles on the vWii and X on the WiiU and I got so far... but I dunno, maybe there's something about me that's changed since my days as a pimply youth running around in many the JRPG, it was just too big, the NPCs were too faceless and there was no jeopardy in the combat so I was just clicking next-next-next. It didn't help that the voice acting was terrible and the plot a little obvious. I think I had too little time on the WiiU, not enough contiguous runs of time to really get anything done. Maybe with the Switch where you can suspend at any point you like and resume for short bursts I might get more out of it?

I can see myself buying this because I "should" and never getting anywhere, and then playing the crap out of the Fire Emblem musou because it's fast and immediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I've never played any Xenoblade before but it looks so amazing that I think I will need to get it. Is there a story that I need to catch up on or any lore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

The combat is unintuitive to the point where i had to google a guide on how to attack propperly and how to chain attack etc, that is one major flaw in the games which is a shame because it would put people off when it takes ages to kill something. The thing about the games is that it can be grindy aswell and unless you have the time to spend to build up levels and beat that monster that kicked your ass earlier you might lose intrest in the game. What drew me into the original chronicles on the wii was the exploration and the story that developed (without giving anything away) and the huge areas. X on the wiiu was a beautiful looking game but had the same issues on combat that i mentioned and the developers said they created the game first and the story after which might explain the meh we got. Some people like these sort of games, some dont, i wouldn't buy it just cause were told its good, id buy it based on previous experiences of the franchise youd have. No point in forcing yourself to like it.

Re:lore & story. Chronicles on the wii seems to share a similarish setup but seems to be a different cast with more races, its hard to say if its a direct sequal to the one on the wii but it has 2 in the title so i dont know. X on the wiiu is a spin off so no need to worry about it.

Nintendo uk shop doing an awful nice lookin bundle for xenoblade right now
    https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/918869021847638016

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the direct today, but will have to watch the recorded version this evening gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,849 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nintendo uk shop doing an awful nice lookin bundle for xenoblade right now
    https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/918869021847638016

Ah man I just came across this now and I was thinking of pick Xenoblade up for my Christmas Switch. I can't seem to find the bundle on the Nintendo Store though, is it sold out?

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/games/nintendo-switch/xenoblade-chronicles-2/games.list?widget_id=770530

Its there as either the collectors edition, controller limited edition , or fan pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,849 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ah I thought the tweet showed everything available as a bundle... My mistake :pac:

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Ah I thought the tweet showed everything available as a bundle... My mistake :pac:

It was probably my fault for the way i worded the post, no :pac: necessary my friend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,335 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Watch the UK Direct live stream here:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct – 07.11.2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7SM5NAsazE

America is getting the slightly better Collector's Edition. Their artbook is hardback while it's paperback in Europe.

America
    DOCTyjpUMAAFzB4.jpg:large

Europe
    CI_NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles2_SpecialEdition_enGB.jpg

There's a lot more happening on their external boxart too.

just got to watch the direct there, words cannot express how hyped i am for this game.... its like a mix of chronicles on the wii built on XcXs engine.

Sligeach i know you are a xenoblade fan aswell, surely this game is tempting you to switch? c'mon Odessesy and now this.

It does look fantastic but then they went and tempered my excitement by announcing the Expansion Pass. I thought squeezing it down to 13GB's was magic(half XCX's size) but I think now it may be down to giving only so much as the base game and charging another 50% for their last year of development. I've talked about it elsewhere, I might come back to it. But I'm 99% sure there won't be 50% extra content for the €30 extra. Anyway, I came here to post some news.

Massive interview with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 's executive director Tetsuya Takahashi and producer Koh Kojima.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Big World, Big Battles, Big Changes

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xenoblade_chronicles_2/b/switch/archive/2017/11/07/xenoblade-chronicles-2-hands-on-feature.aspx?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the complex turn based combat that turns me right off.
    Just give me an option to have to real time battles instead of stacking moves and commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I watch that Direct show and I got very mixed opinion about this game.

From one point of view I love the universe and whole driver and blade system.

What I dont like that I felt very overwhelmed by all of it. There are switching of blades mid battle, combos and ather stuff. I think I am just getting too old and I like a bit more simplier and easier ways.

I want the following
    X for a medium attack
    Y for a hard attack
    A makes the character jump
    B makes the character kick

Shoulder buttons for switching weapons and dodging.

Pretty much the Bayonetta combat system

Why can't I have Xenoblade Chronicles games like that?
    I know I'll have more fun, rather than wasting the couple of gaming hours I get per week trying to figure out the attack procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

sligeach wrote: »
    Watch the UK Direct live stream here:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct – 07.11.2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7SM5NAsazE

I felt like i was watching a mildly dodgy 80's cartoon episode

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I want the following
    X for a medium attack
    Y for a hard attack
    A makes the character jump
    B makes the character kick

Shoulder buttons for switching weapons and dodging.

Pretty much the Bayonetta combat system

Why can't I have Xenoblade Chronicles games like that?
    I know I'll have more fun, rather than wasting the couple of gaming hours I get per week trying to figure out the attack procedure

Maybe we want different things, but when I remember goold old jrpg it was:

Attack
    Magic
    Gf/ultimate
    Item

Xenoblade looks too complicated for its own good. I know the gaming gpt pushed to innovate and do more complex stuff, but there has,tp be a limit, no?

Does GF mean girlfriend?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Does GF mean girlfriend?

Nah, Guardian force from ff8. I like the way you think though!

new ninty ad for xenoblade

Just watched the direct.

Is there a diploma course I can do to prepare me for that combat system?
    "Your party can have 3 drivers. Each driver can have 3 blades. Each blade can have two different elemental hilts and each hilt will have the square root of 23 pommels, unless it's a day that begins with a T in which case you can double that for every vowel in the name of the 2nd blade of the character on your immediate left."
    The more I see, the more I hanker for the brainless button mash of Hyrule Warriors

I seen that ad yesterday, it's $h1t€. They could have done a lot better. That ad and the one for Skyrim came out at the same time, the Skyrim ad is good.

Banjo wrote: »
    Just watched the direct.

Is there a diploma course I can do to prepare me for that combat system?
    "Your party can have 3 drivers. Each driver can have 3 blades. Each blade can have two different elemental hilts and each hilt will have the square root of 23 pommels, unless it's a day that begins with a T in which case you can double that for every vowel in the name of the 2nd blade of the character on your immediate left."
    The more I see, the more I hanker for the brainless button mash of Hyrule Warriors

That was my point. They made it so complicated. I never through I ever say this, but couldn't they do it a bit simplier? They geniune pushing me away from a game as I could not be arsed to invest so much brain power in it.

Dont know, maybe it sounds way too scary on a paper and just marketing tries to make it complex and cool for cool kids. In reality it might be just reskined normal things you do in jrpgs.

Yeah, it may turn out to be familiar or intuitive but honestly my brain just started blocking out the words as he gibbered on and on about how "that's not all!". In fairness, most of what he was ****ing on about seemed to have corresponding on-screen prompts to ensure you were aware of what could be done. Didn't see how quick or seamless switching Blades was, but assume it's easily done since they're encouraging it as a dynamic gameplay mechanic.

I dunno. Maybe I'd be happier shooting cacodemons...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

I definitely tuned out a bit when they started describing combat. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now based on enjoying the previous 2 games. I'll see what the reviews are like when they come out.

3 Japanese Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBrvXiMBQg

They're miles better than the gick NOA made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Advertisement