Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/anthony-rapp-kevin-spacey-made-sexual-advance-when-i-was-14?utm_term=.sevN0VpWV#.itydoAnYA

Spacey in the firing line now. His name popping up won't shock anyone, plenty of rumours about him for many years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Rjd2 wrote: »
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/anthony-rapp-kevin-spacey-made-sexual-advance-when-i-was-14?utm_term=.sevN0VpWV#.itydoAnYA

Spacey in the firing line now. His name popping up won't shock anyone, plenty of rumours about him for many years now.

And he’s now come out as a gay man

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You would have to ask where were 14 year old's Anthony Rapp's parents/guardians when he was at a after party in Spacey's apartment.

You would have to ask where were 14 year old's Anthony Rapp's parents/guardians when he was at a after party in Spacey's apartment.

Sounds very like what George Hook alluded to... Careful now, down with that sort of thing.

Rabble rabble

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That kind of parenting though has been around since day 1 of Hollywood, be it Judy garland on her cocktail of drugs, or Drew Barrymore drunk at after parties aged 9. Heck, they only changed the laws around how and when children could work on sets after a couple of kids died while filming the Twilight Zone movie in the 70/80s IIRC; Hollywood has a shockingly long history of neglect when it comes to children so it doesn't surprise that a teenager would end up at an afterparty.

Spacey suddenly coming out as gay feels like a very calculated, cynical move to shift the conversation though; I've read rumours about him before that he has aggressively pursued colleagues, or even random folks in public. Don't have links but it was another open secret he'd go on the prowl for any pretty young thing he liked the look of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You would, but more importantly you'd also have to ask what the f**k Spacey is doing pinning a 14 year old to the bed regardless of what the young lads parents were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,669 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The trades are implying that Netflix have decided to cancel House of Cards on back of these Spacey allegations. Deadline include a statement from Netflix saying they are "deeply troubled" but no direct quote indicating this is the reason for the cancellation. It seems the show was due to end anyway, so it's hard to know what it's going on here.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/house-of-cards-canceled-kevin-spacey-scandal-netflix-season-six-1202197604/

Spacey is due to do more work for Netflix a film and another series I think It will be interesting to see if they get canned as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,669 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Spacey is due to do more work for Netflix a film and another series I think It will be interesting to see if they get canned as well.

Yeah, Gore. Deadline claims there's now a question mark hanging over it.

Cancelling a show and putting thousands of people out of a job because of allegations (of sexual assault? advances? attempted pedophilia?) made against your lead for something that happened 30 year ago seems absurd to me. But it goes to show how frightened the studios are of this stuff.

• Advertisement

Cancelling a show and putting thousands of people out of a job because of allegations (of sexual assault? advances? attempted pedophilia?) made against your lead for something that happened 30 year ago seems absurd to me. But it goes to show how frightened the studios are of this stuff.

House of Cards is the show that Netflix built its globe domination on they also need to be seen to do the right thing right now the right PR is just as important as anything else right now as cynical as it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Could House of Cards continue without Spacey though? While he's kinda integral, and I gave up after season 2 but from what i understand its race seems a little run at this stage; maybe the focus could shift from Frank if Netflix were determined to drop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Been plenty of rumours about Spacey for a while now, so think they are fearful of another Weinstein saga with more people accusing him of stuff over next few months, can't blame them tbh.

Let's be fair here, if he did that it's because he's a paedophile and NOT because he's gay.

That was a horrid attempt at deflection

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I think what we have here now is calculated media responses since the accusations are all at the moment just accusations. It's trial by media.
    I for one will be waiting for accusations to be proven before believing them from or about anyone. You can't have a situation where an accusation combined with Twitter ruin someone's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Let's be fair here, if he did that it's because he's a paedophile and NOT because he's gay.
    If the child was 14, it means he's a hebephile, not a paedophile.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If the child was 14, it means he's a hebephile, not a paedophile.

A distinction never really worth making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Penn wrote: »
    A distinction never really worth making.
    There's a difference between a drunken 20-something year old, trying something with a 14 year old, and a 50 year old molesting a 5 year old. When dealing with the evolution of humans, history of sociology, psychology, and many other categories, it is a very important distinction to make.

There's a difference between a drunken 20-something year old, trying something with a 14 year old, and a 50 year old molesting a 5 year old. When dealing with the evolution of humans, history of sociology, psychology, and many other categories, it is a very important distinction to make.

The semantics aside... The point was that by stating that he is gay, as if that's the reason, is horrible.
    And it's still illegal to attempt sex with a minor so the wording is not the issue. The common use of paedophile is for adults targeting minors, which is the phrase I and everyone would accept in the instance.

This is all going on what's being reported, no one has been charged or convicted of course

The meaning of words matter. As per his own account, Rapp was old enough to be at an adult party on his own and to be aware or have some growing awareness of his own sexual orientation, so he wasn't exactly a child. The question, which nobody is asking, is whether Spacey knew he was 14. Assuming that in his drunken state he cared.

It's interesting that Rapp holds back from outright incriminating Spacey, which has left the media scrambling over what to call this. "sexual advances"? "attempted assault"? "sexual misconduct toward a minor"? I assume he was encouraged to come forward with this on the basis of other stories about Spacey, of which there are many, but it seems like we've going from one extreme to another. From victims of rape, assault and repeated harassment being encouraged to stay quiet to people who had disturbing but once-off encounters of a potentially ambiguous nature being encouraged to speak out because of other rumours about that person.

• Advertisement

The semantics aside... The point was that by stating that he is gay, as if that's the reason, is horrible.
    And it's still illegal to attempt sex with a minor so the wording is not the issue. The common use of paedophile is for adults targeting minors, which is the phrase I and everyone would accept in the instance.

This is all going on what's being reported, no one has been charged or convicted of course

So a 19 year old adult targeting a 17 year old minor is a paedophile in your eyes?

So a 19 year old adult targeting a 17 year old minor is a paedophile in your eyes?

17 is age of consent and the Americans actually have it right in their laws on age gaps at that age but a 25 year old targeting an early teen? Yes

And he was a child (14 is no was at all an adult)

But THE POINT was, why is Spacey stating "I'm gay" now? Gay men don't attempt anything with14 year olds.

Just that nothing elsr. I'm not going to state that he did anything other than again create a link between being gay and being unsafe around kids (a falsehood which had thankfully been dismissed in the main)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Degree matters. Yes, the age of consent is a catch-all to protect people and ensure they're mature enough to truly consent and in some cases someone near the age of consent with someone only slightly older isn't as egregious as a 50 year old with a 5 year old. However, in this instance we're talking about a mid-20's guy and a 14 year old boy, not near the age of consent and no indication that Spacey knew Rapp was gay himself. It seems he tried to assault someone still well under the age of consent.

If the victim is closer to the age of trying to distinguish whether the attacker would be a hebephile or a paedophile than to the age of consent, it's not really worth trying to distinguish whether the attacker would be a hebephile or a paedophile. Either would suffice by common usage of the words rather than specific definitions.

17 is age of consent and the Americans actually have it right in their laws on age gaps at that age but a 25 year old targeting an early teen? Yes

And he was a child (14 is no was at all an adult)

Age of consent varies from State to State in America actually.

The common use of paedophile is for adults targeting minors, which is the phrase I and everyone would accept in the instance.

17 years old's are minors are they not?

19 years old's are adults are they not?

So is the 19 year old targets a 17 year old they are a paedophile in your eyes as you stated?

Age of consent varies from State to State in America actually.

17 years old's are minors are they not?

19 years old's are adults are they not?

So is the 19 year old targets a 17 year old they are a paedophile in your eyes as you stated?

Refer to Penn's answer because I'm ****ing shocked that you're having the age of consent argument to defend potential act between 25 Year old and 14

Also completed ignoring the original point I mad e regarding his linking of being gay to liking kids

Refer to Penn's answer because I'm ****ing shocked that you're having the age of consent argument to defend potential act between 25 Year old and 14

Also completed ignoring the original point I mad e regarding his linking of being gay to liking kids

I'm not having an age of consent argument with you I'm having your swiping statements argument with you.

No one is defending the assault you are calling Spacey a paedophile with your statement that is what I questioned you on!

Words matter and the meaning of those words matter along with the context in which you use them matter even more!

I'm not having an age of consent argument with you I'm having your swiping statements argument with you.

No one is defending the assault you are calling Spacey a paedophile with your statement that is what I questioned you on!

Words matter and the meaning of those words matter along with the context in which you use them matter even more!

What do you call a mid 20s adult attempting sexual contact with a 14 year old child?

What do you call a mid 20s adult attempting sexual contact with a 14 year old child?

A sick fcuk.

Is he a paedophile as you stated no he isn't.

He is a depraved sick man who deserves to be jailed for the assault but the statute of limitations for sexual assault is up and he can't even be arrested in this case.

The meaning of words matter. As per his own account, Rapp was old enough to be at an adult party on his own and to be aware or have some growing awareness of his own sexual orientation, so he wasn't exactly a child. The question, which nobody is asking, is whether Spacey knew he was 14. Assuming that in his drunken state he cared.

It's interesting that Rapp holds back from outright incriminating Spacey, which has left the media scrambling over what to call this. "sexual advances"? "attempted assault"? "sexual misconduct toward a minor"? I assume he was encouraged to come forward with this on the basis of other stories about Spacey, of which there are many, but it seems like we've going from one extreme to another. From victims of rape, assault and repeated harassment being encouraged to stay quiet to people who had disturbing but once-off encounters of a potentially ambiguous nature being encouraged to speak out because of other rumours about that person.

That's an interesting point actually - maybe he didn't know.

Though there were rumours of his having a younger taste doing the rounds for a long time.

• Advertisement

A sick fcuk.

Is he a paedophile as you stated no he isn't.

He is a depraved sick man who deserves to be jailed for the assault but the statute of limitations for sexual assault is up and he can't even be arrested in this case.

And what would society at large refer to him as? I used the commonly used term for a person such as that. (I also would not class a 14 year old boy as post pubescent)

Now again, is that all you wish to comment on or the actual point of my comment regarding the assertion that a possible attraction to a boy was a result of being gay?

Advertisement