Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Noel82 wrote: »
    rs-214981-GettyImages-111787446.jpg

So...because there is one high-profile case of a powerful non-white man in the entertainment industry being alleged to have assaulted dozens of women over a period of years, we are not in a society where being a white male confers benefits in terms of overall treatment compared to other groups?

Well, ok then. Conventionally a single data point isn't accepted as a statistically valid sample, but you've won me over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Fysh wrote: »
    So...because there is one high-profile case of a powerful non-white man in the entertainment industry being alleged to have assaulted dozens of women over a period of years, we are not in a society where being a white male confers benefits in terms of overall treatment compared to other groups?

Well, ok then. Conventionally a single data point isn't accepted as a statistically valid sample, but you've won me over :pac:

dont be such a racist.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

So the man abused his position, women and potted plants. Yet we are back into white privilege.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So the man abused his position, women and potted plants. Yet we are back into white privilege.

More pointing out that part of the reason the victims might not have felt enabled to speak out is the power structures Weinstein had around him - which amongst other things would take advantage of his relatively privileged status in relation to his victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

/\

That RICH privilege. Not "white" privilege.

It wasn't his colour that enabled his ability to get away with all of this for so long. It was his money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Stuff coming out about Irish personalities abusing the young ones now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

__..__ wrote: »
    Stuff coming out about Irish personalities abusing the young ones now too.

Link?

Link?

Not a good idea. Until there's verifiable proof, boards would be opening themselves up to a sh1tload of lawsuits. All it took was a mention of security at a camping ground during a festival being sh1t for MCD to basically try to sue the living sh1t out of this site - which lasted the best part of.. what.. 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Is this Terry Prone?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Not a good idea. Until there's verifiable proof, boards would be opening themselves up to a sh1tload of lawsuits. All it took was a mention of security at a camping ground during a festival being sh1t for MCD to basically try to sue the living sh1t out of this site - which lasted the best part of.. what.. 2 years?

You mean I can't post the names?
    Don't worry they'll be all over the place soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Add Eva Green to the growing list.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/eva-green-harvey-weinstein-1202590025/

Meanwhile, Bob Weinstein who is fighting to save the company, has disowned his brother, calling him sick and depraved.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-weinstein-gets-emotional-depraved-harvey-saving-company-his-waking-nightmare-1048905

He asked for a link, not to say names. If the user posts a link from a reputable site then boards.ie wouldn't be at any risk, just don't mention names unless there is a source to back them up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Terry Prone was talking about stuff that happened back in the mid 60s, when men exposing themselves and sticking their hands up girl's skirts was run of the mill stuff in Ireland. Anyway conveniently enough the person she was talking about is dead and I assume she has no knowledge of anyone currently engaging in abuse or harassment in the Irish entertainment business.

Lenny Abrahamson made some late night twitter comments about there being Irish abusers quaking in their boots etc, giving the impression that he was talking about certain people particular, but he has since rolled back on this and said he doesn't know anything and was just speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

This stuff is really depressing. Why the Hell did get away with this for so long? Why did no one ever speak up until now? Those poor women that have been victimised by this monster? Just cause he's rich and famous means he's above the law? This kind of thing is far too depressing, it makes me want to watch I Spit On Your Grave, at least in that the rapists get what they SO deserve! But I guess in real life these monsters get away with it for decades! This whole thing has made me so angry.

He asked for a link, not to say names. If the user posts a link from a reputable site then boards.ie wouldn't be at any risk, just don't mention names unless there is a source to back them up.
    __..__ wrote: »
    You mean I can't post the names?
    Don't worry they'll be all over the place soon enough.

Who knows what you can do anymore. Like I said, an offhand discussion about security lead to a huge lawsuit (or threat of - I don't remember how far it got)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tarantino to make the True Life movie version of this under Bob's new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,997 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do wish people would stop saying they regret saying not something. I can't remember if it was in this thread or the one in AH, but someone mentioned how in training with dealing with rape victims, these people often don't want anything to be done by those they tell, but instead they want to be listened to. Paraphrasing, of course, and they said it a lot better.

Bob is now in the firing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Were any of the ladies A list at the time or were they up and coming, nothing can ever justify his behaviour but I'm curious to know did he try this sort of thing with established actresses too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I wonder how many A list stars in hollywood only got to were they are because they slept their way to the top... it must be an awful alot of them.

Both men and women. I suspect Irish stars among them.

Were any of the ladies A list at the time or were they up and coming, nothing can ever justify his behaviour but I'm curious to know did he try this sort of thing with established actresses too.

Not A-list, no. Mostly actresses in the process of breaking through, but some were fairly well known at the time it happened as well. Lauren Holly in the late '90s, Claire Forlani repeatedly around the same time, Heather Graham in the early '00s.

My reading of it is that he over stepped the mark in attempting to start a relationship. He didn't take no for and answer and persisted in trying to spend time with her. It's a crappy thing to do but nothing comparable to what his brother did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sponge? Hope? the builder?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Amazon Studio executive Roy Price resigns after sexual harassment allegations

http://www.thejournal.ie/amazon-sexual-assault-3651783-Oct2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Both men and women. I suspect Irish stars among them.

As I said in a previous post one of Weinstein's latest pushes was Cork native Sarah Greene. Not sure she has released any statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A lot of news about Weinstein tonight from the BBC.

The British Film Institute announced that they are to strip Weinstein of his BFI Fellowship award arising from multiple sexual abuse allegations against him.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41664814

Tom Hanks has said in an BBC interview that the Harvey Weinstein abuse scandal will become a "sea change" & a "watershed moment" in Hollywood. He said the film industry there has to change in the aftermath of the scandal by highlighting that there was no way back for Harvey Weinstein.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41678196

Channing Tatum has said he has pulled out from production of a sexual abuse film which had been made by Weinstein's film company.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41681629

James Toback writer and director who was Oscar nominated for writing Bugsy has now been accused by 38 women of sexual harassment.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-mn-james-toback-sexual-harassment-allegations-20171018-story.html

Very much so. America as a whole is like an episode of south park these days. All of Hollywood on their moral perch yet had been singing the praises of predators like Weinstein. They would have heard the rumors and the stories about him.
    Meryl Streep even called him God! :pac:

Two words...
    Roman Polanski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Two words...
    Roman Polanski

And now another accusation about Polanski molesting a 10 year old have surfaced
    http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/roman-polanski-accused-of-molesting-10-year-old-girl.html

Advertisement