Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Michael Winner is apparently in the **** house now being discussed on this Morning. Him I'm not surprised about either as
    Alex Winter (Bill and Ted) described him as a sadist both behind and in front of the camera lol. Marina Sirtis from Star Trek once described how he ripped half her dress off in preparation for a fight scene with Faye Dunnaway in The Wicked Lady.

neirbloom wrote: »
    Michael Winner is apparently in the **** house now being discussed on this Morning. Him I'm not surprised about either as
    Alex Winter (Bill and Ted) described him as a sadist both behind and in front of the camera lol. Marina Sirtis from Star Trek once described how he ripped half her dress off in preparation for a fight scene with Faye Dunnaway in The Wicked Lady.

He's dead so can't even defend himself, with Winner's work and the abundance of nudity in it, him asking an actress to strip during an audition may just be a case of him ensuring that if he hires them for a role they will be comfortable being naked on set. He may have been a sleazebag but at the same time a director auditioning an actor for a role may at times ask them to undress solely to ensure that they will when needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

/\

That stuff happens all the time, for men and women.

Directors do a lot of things to get reactions from their actors and to see if they're comfortable with very uncomfortable situations. It doesn't mean it's on, or anywhere near, the same level as Weinstein's case.

Weinstein has opened a can of worms and there isn't a doubt in my mind that that hollywood is rife with types like him who abuse their position and use their wealth to buy people off.

But, these "oh and he's another one" type headlines that are coming out now smack of tabloid journos afraid of letting "their" story die.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

neirbloom wrote: »

I don't see what's wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

David O. Russell now being accused of Groping and On-Set Abuse.

David O. Russell now being accused of Groping and On-Set Abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lily Tomlin is fcuking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is O'Russell under fire for the likes of the above or is it groping/sexual abuse?

Because that video has been in circulation for god knows how long and while he comes across as an aggressive prick I don't see that as being quite the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Russell stuff is a non-story. His abusive on-set behaviour including getting into fist fights with actors has been openly talked about by everyone who has ever worked with him. And afaik the groping accusation is based on some random comment in an email from the Sony hack. The tabloids must be desperate for abuse stories which is strange since supposedly the Weinstein scandal had "burst the dam".

• Advertisement

The Russell stuff is a non-story. His abusive on-set behaviour including getting into fist fights with actors has been openly talked about by everyone who has ever worked with him. And afaik the groping accusation is based on some random comment in an email from the Sony hack. The tabloids must be desperate for abuse stories which is strange since supposedly the Weinstein scandal had "burst the dam".

The groping accusation is in relation to him supposedly groping his trans niece. It boiled down to a he said, she said thing with police not bothering to do anything as there want a whole lot to it.

I can't wait for the Oscars. A month ago it was going to be predictable thanking Weinstein, Anti Trump speeches and some other high unicorn activity.

They will try and rescue themselves by not giving a single white actor or actress an award for anything.

But in reality probably the only thing that can save The Oscars this year is Ricky Gervais.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I read Oliver Stone and Val Kilmer are also in trouble, apparently an actress came in to an audition and Val got into character and beat her badly while Oliver watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

ps3lover wrote:
    I read Oliver Stone and Val Kilmer are also in trouble, apparently an actress came in to an audition and Val got into character and beat her badly while Oliver watches.

The Doors so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

ps3lover wrote: »
    A source would be nice.

That's the biggest issue with a lot of these "witch hunts". A lot of people who are guilty are rightfully going to be given the spotlight, but a lot of "innocent" people are going to be dragged under too.

That's the biggest issue with a lot of these "witch hunts". A lot of people who are guilty are rightfully going to be given the spotlight, but a lot of "innocent" people are going to be dragged under too.

And aggressively shouting at someone on the set is not the same as trying to rape someone. I would say a lot of the time scaring the **** out of an actor could be a great way to get them to perform better. Most of the actors who've worked for Stone hate him for this this kind of thing but also say it brought out the best in them

Pelvis wrote: »
    A source would be nice.

I meant to post a source, had it copied and everything, then forgot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/actress-claims-val-kilmer-physically-assaulted-article-1.3587997

Val Kilmer is known for being a difficult dick, he once put a cigarette out on a camera mans face on the film The Island of Doctor Moreau but the story being reported is a nothing story. It's an actor getting carried away in the moment, happens all the time. I doubt there was any malice or other motive to it other than Kilmer getting into character and trying to make it look real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Another horrible story...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41760069

how much drugs, was this guy on...

Norwegian actress and model Natassia Malthe has accused Harvey Weinstein of raping her in a London hotel room after the 2008 Bafta awards ceremony.
    She told a press conference in New York she met Weinstein at an after party and felt pressured into telling him she was staying at the Sanderson Hotel.
    Malthe alleges Weinstein banged on her door, she let him in and he raped her.
    Weinstein has previously issued a statement saying he denies all allegations of non-consensual sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Another horrible story...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41760069

how much drugs, was this guy on...

Norwegian actress and model Natassia Malthe has accused Harvey Weinstein of raping her in a London hotel room after the 2008 Bafta awards ceremony.
    She told a press conference in New York she met Weinstein at an after party and felt pressured into telling him she was staying at the Sanderson Hotel.
    Malthe alleges Weinstein banged on her door, she let him in and he raped her.
    Weinstein has previously issued a statement saying he denies all allegations of non-consensual sex.

Why did she not to go the police :eek:

Val Kilmer is known for being a difficult dick, he once put a cigarette out on a camera mans face on the film The Island of Doctor Moreau but the story being reported is a nothing story. It's an actor getting carried away in the moment, happens all the time. I doubt there was any malice or other motive to it other than Kilmer getting into character and trying to make it look real.

I think a closed fist punch to the face that knocks someone to the ground is beyond getting carried away. No one should have to put up with that for an audition.

ps3lover wrote:
    I think a closed fist punch to the face that knocks someone to the ground is beyond getting carried away. No one should have to put up with that for an audition.

No one is saying that they should, just that it is in no way comparable to what Weinstein did. The casting director states that all were warned that it would be psychical a d also that Kilmer didn't punch her. Honestly the while thing comes across like someone trying to make a quick buck.

There is a massively worrying trend now that every person accused of inappropriate behaviour is presumed to be guilty.

There does seem to be a witch hunt potential here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

People are certainly getting braver anyway, whether that's good or bad is up for debate.

All I know is that it's hard not to respect and admire the people who are risking breaking a non disclosure agreement to speak out.

I'm sure there are some trying to rewrite history because they regretted a decision they made, but in the case of Weinstein at least the sheer amount of detailed accusations condemn him without a doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Another Ronan Farrow piece, probably the most disturbing one yet, detailing Weinstein’s rape of Annabella Sciorra and harassment of Daryl Hannah. It seems Weinstein or someone working for him was trying to silence people earlier in the year. It also talks about how he offered book deals to gossip journalists for smearing people.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/weighing-the-costs-of-speaking-out-about-harvey-weinstein

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Another Ronan Farrow piece, probably the most disturbing one yet, detailing Weinstein’s rape of Annabella Sciorra and harassment of Daryl Hannah. It seems Weinstein or someone working for him was trying to silence people earlier in the year. It also talks about how he offered book deals to gossip journalists for smearing people.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/weighing-the-costs-of-speaking-out-about-harvey-weinstein

What a vile monster. Cannot understand why he is not yet arrested. Or, sadly, perhaps I can! :(

brooke 2 wrote: »
    What a vile monster. Cannot understand why he is not yet arrested. Or, sadly, perhaps I can! :(

Its amazing what money and power can do. Bill Clinton has paid off 6 different woman, and the accounts of the rapes are even more brutal then that story above. I watched an interview with one lady last week, and it was harrowing to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHh73fkDUIs

brooke 2 wrote: »

They are still just accusations, which people have decided to take to the press rather than the police.

• Advertisement

They are still just accusations, which people have decided to take to the press rather than the police.

Statuettes of limitations are probably up. Also some people tried and just got paid off or threatened.
    Corey Feldman stated he went to the police a long time ago about people who where abusing him and Haim and nothing was done about it, it was basically ignored.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/11/secret-police-tape-corey-feldman-first-detailed-rape-in-1993-cops-did-zero-to-catch-sexual-predator/

Advertisement