Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

If Weinstein had anything to do with this trajectory then any fleeting sympathy I might of had for him right now is gone.

Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I explained myself in the bit you omitted. Sympathy perhaps the wrong word to use.

I don't think there's anything wrong in saying I feel such public falls from grace, and the ensuing mental anguish it puts on the people effected close to him (his family for example), uncomfortable viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I explained myself in the bit you omitted. Sympathy perhaps the wrong word to use.

I don't think there's anything wrong in saying I feel such public falls from grace, and the ensuing mental anguish it puts on the people effected close to him (his family for example), uncomfortable viewing.

Careful now. Your opinions are given to you in this day and age. You are not allowed to have your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This isn't about sex, Tony. It's about the abuse of power and the exploitation of the vulnerable.

I know exactly what it's about P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was never a fan of Weinstein in the first place, particularly given his occasional tendency to interfere with the editing of films - the whole saga over his butchering of Snowpiercer is one particular example that sticks to mind, mostly given my fondness for that film (the directors cut of it that is!).

Not that I'm gloating or feel any great schadenfreude over the scandal - there's a huge leap between an interfering producer & sexual abuser after all - but if I'm honest, the news of his abuses never came as any great shock; he always seemed like the quintessential Hollywood Alpha Male, a man that operated outside of the normal social mores or restraints. That he turned out to be an aggressive predator & manipulator didn't surprise - that's just Hollywood. If this industry was born from idea to feed its child stars drugs to stunt growth, why would any other amoral act be too far?

And I think that's why there's now this gushing tide of 'who else did what?' coming out, regardless of whether it stacks up to the kind of levels of depravity Weinstein frequently waded in. Definitely feels like a release valve being turned, and a chance for the dirty laundry to be spoken of without fear of repercussions; Hollywood is, and has always been, a bit of swamp. It's not without reason that Conservatives point towards it as some den or hallmark of indecency - because for the better part of a century it has existed as a pocket-society; let's face it, when we think of 'Hollywood', we think of something seedy, manipulative, inhumane - albeit living beside the creativity and artistic expression.

• Advertisement

Corey Feldman has named one of his abusers on the Doctor Oz show today in the States

Not going to tell us who ...?

Not going to tell us who ...?

Google did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    I was never a fan of Weinstein in the first place, particularly given his occasional tendency to interfere with the editing of films - the whole saga over his butchering of Snowpiercer is one particular example that sticks to mind, mostly given my fondness for that film (the directors cut of it that is!).

Not that I'm gloating or feel any great schadenfreude over the scandal - there's a huge leap between an interfering producer & sexual abuser after all - but if I'm honest, the news of his abuses never came as any great shock; he always seemed like the quintessential Hollywood Alpha Male, a man that operated outside of the normal social mores or restraints. That he turned out to be an aggressive predator & manipulator didn't surprise - that's just Hollywood. If this industry was born from idea to feed its child stars drugs to stunt growth, why would any other amoral act be too far?

And I think that's why there's now this gushing tide of 'who else did what?' coming out, regardless of whether it stacks up to the kind of levels of depravity Weinstein frequently waded in. Definitely feels like a release valve being turned, and a chance for the dirty laundry to be spoken of without fear of repercussions; Hollywood is, and has always been, a bit of swamp. It's not without reason that Conservatives point towards it as some den or hallmark of indecency - because for the better part of a century it has existed as a pocket-society; let's face it, when we think of 'Hollywood', we think of something seedy, manipulative, inhumane - albeit living beside the creativity and artistic expression.

Can't say I was shocked at all when the Weinstein revelations came out, as I probably said earlier. But the length and breadth was somewhat disturbing and it's the likes of Annabella Sciorra's allegation I'd find to be the nadir of this thing. That was just awful reading.

However, there is a very poor attempt at copy on the back of the Weinstein case that the media is engaging in that's only serving self interest in too many cases.

Do I believe that "Scarface" had PTSD for 30 years after Spacey copped a feel of his veg in a pub? No, I don't. Do I think that he's trying to increase his own profile using the Weinstein case as a springboard? That's sounds more like it.

That doesn't let Spacey off the hook, BTW. I just find the "oh...and he's one as well" stories in the press on that back of the awfulness of Weinstein a bit...I don't know what the word is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Irish actor now coming out with allegations about Spacey. Going to be in the Sunday world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And Netflix have burned all their bridges with Spacey.

https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/926630916448976897

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Juliana Margulies Claims Sex Harass By Harvey Weinstein, Steven Seagal
    In the Seagal case, Margulies was 23 when a female casting director asked her to go to the actor’s hotel room at 10:00 pm to go over a scene. She was told it was between her and another actress for a role that would get her the coveted Screen Actors Guild card.

Margulies said when she arrived at the hotel, the casting director wasn’t there, but Seagal was. When she entered his hotel room, “I saw his gun, which I had never seen a gun in real life.” Somehow, Margulies said, she got out of the room “unscathed. I never was raped. And I never was harmed. And I don’t know how I got out of that hotel room…I sorta screamed my way out.”

Shaken by the encounter, a far more wary Margulies recounted a 1996 encounter with Weinstein. She was in her third season of the TV series ER and told that if she met with Weinstein, she would get a screen test. She was also promised that the woman accompanying her would be in the room at the Peninsula hotel with them.

“She knocked on the door, and she was standing behind me,’ Margulies recalled. “And he opened the door in a bathrobe. I could see that there were candles lit in the room, and there was a dinner for two. And I saw him stare at her, daggers.”

Margulies turned to look at her companion. “And I caught her in a shrug – like, “What could I do?” And he looked at me, furious, and he took the door and he said, ‘Just wanted to say good audition.’ And he slammed the door.”

Margulies did not get the part. And although she is now established enough to avoid future such incidents, she asked, “What’s a sixteen-year-old actress supposed to do?’ she asked.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/juliana-margulies-claims-sex-harass-by-harvey-weinstein-and-steven-seagal-1202201691/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bad article about Michael Colgan in the Times today. Very disappointing and sordid if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe it might be different if I was ever on the receiving end of abuse, but just reading the title of this thread, as well as hearing all the old stories now, make me think of the Eagles song "Get Over It".

"But you might feel better if I gave you some cash"

If someone raped me, no amount of money would stop me going to the police, but it appears that for some money is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe it might be different if I was ever on the receiving end of abuse, but just reading the title of this thread, as well as hearing all the old stories now, make me think of the Eagles song "Get Over It".

If someone raped me, no amount of money would stop me going to the police, but it appears that for some money is everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn1CALCGs1E

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

NIMAN wrote: »

I suspect it would be.

I think you have to take into account that up until all these stories started to break, people most likely felt that there was a culture of secrecy surrounding what went on and in any case even if they came forward and made claims, it would be very easy to imagine yourself as one person against very powerful individuals, or even up against an entire industry - and in that case it's hard to see yourself getting your victorious day out in court, no matter how much in the right you might be. It took critical mass to be reached before the dam burst.

So the choice in practical terms for people, who felt isolated and abused by those more powerful, was a potential no-win situation in court, or a career ending moral stand - or you took some money because that was realistically the only thing that could be salvaged out of the situation. Is that morally dubious - yes. Is that inexplicable - no. Does that lessen the wrongs - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/926835766738567169

I think Uma has ordered a Hattori Hanzo sword...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

She said that weeks ago. Sentiment aside, why is the Twitter machine treating as something new?

Dustin Hoffman makes his statement.
    "I have the utmost respect for women and feel terrible that anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dustin-hoffmans-director-responds-set-harassment-claim-1054800

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've just heard a first hand story of what it's like to be female and sit beside charlie haughey.... It involves hand on leg shenanigans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

The only one I've seen implicated who hasn't more or less held their hands up (albeit coming up with ****ty excuses), is Singer. Really want to see that guy nailed to a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

She said that weeks ago. Sentiment aside, why is the Twitter machine treating as something new?

That Uma Thurman comment is quite old. I thought it was rather like Quentin Tarantino's first statement, in that he needed more time to think
    about what Weinstein had done! (as if it were news to him. :D) He has made a subsequent statement, which I don't believe Uma Thurman has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Dustin Hoffman makes his statement.

Quote:
    "I have the utmost respect for women and feel terrible that anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dustin-hoffmans-director-responds-set-harassment-claim-1054800

Not now Dustin, now that you've been rumbled. It's the Ben Affleck defence - own up to it, issue faux sincere apology, you're a better person for having done this, seek to work with groups that tackle this kind of behaviour, blah, blah, blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

American Beauty is one of my favourite films. I'm never gonna watch it the same way again knowing about Spacey.

I always wondered why the guy who played the Ricky Fitts character never really acted again. I now wonder if anything untoward went on between him and Spacey. Because he was a decent actor.
    That film probably ruined for me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

American Beauty is one of my favourite films. I'm never gonna watch it the same way again knowing about Spacey.

I always wondered why the guy who played the Ricky Fitts character never really acted again. I now wonder if anything untoward went on between him and Spacey. Because he was a decent actor.

What are you waffling about? That guy who "never really acted again" has done loads of acting since, notably in The Hunger Games and Interstellar.

Maybe we shouldn't express every thought that comes into our head.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

On the plus side, the ending of Se7en has now been enhanced massively

A 27 year female model asked one of the 14 year male stars of Stranger Things to get in touch with her in four years time when he is 18.

The lad said in an interview he found it gross. She has since apologised.

A 27 year female model asked one of the 14 year male stars of Stranger Things to get in touch with her in four years time when he is 18.

The lad said in an interview he found it gross. She has since apologised.

That's unbelievably creepy. Has she been named and shamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wes Bentley still acts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That's unbelievably creepy. Has she been named and shamed?
    Pretty sure she has but this to me is somewhat different from the Weinstein/Spacey accusations, and not because of the reversal of the sexes.

Not behaviour anyone wants to see but I wouldn't lump it into the current conversation regarding power, sexual harassment and threats.

On which here's some more...
    Harvey Weinstein’s Army of Spies
    The film executive hired private investigators, including ex-Mossad agents, to track actresses and journalists.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/harvey-weinsteins-army-of-spies

Advertisement