Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,425 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's unbelievably creepy. Has she been named and shamed?

Ali Michael is her name.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The film executive hired private investigators, including ex-Mossad agents, to track actresses and journalists.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/harvey-weinsteins-army-of-spies

Ray Donovan & Avi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ali Michael is her name.

Poor girl will probably get ditched by her agency over this. Let this be a lesson to everyone about making jokes on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's all so deliberately po faced and ridiculous.

A bloody silly off the cuff joke people are "outraged" over, until the next story comes along.

What a stupid planet we live on these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's all so deliberately po faced and ridiculous.

A bloody silly off the cuff joke people are "outraged" over, until the next story comes along.

What a stupid planet we live on these days.

Reverse the genders of the two in question, and be honest; does it still feel like a 'silly off the cuff joke?', or does it suddenly feel a lot ickier, at best?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think she deserves to be hounded to the ends of the earth over this (but such is the want of the social media mob), but by all accounts it was a pretty gross, borderline sick comment. In the world we live in, where the US President brags about walking into teen pageant dressing-rooms or grabbing women by the p*ssy etc., the timing of the comment could have been better.

• Advertisement

Yes it would. It's silly remark that should be taken as a laugh and everybody moves on.

TBH, I'm sick of fake puritans making big deals out of nothing because they think that something like the Weinstein case gives them licence to.

It's all about about context.

Something like "grabbing women by the pussy" isn't even in the same sphere as "hit me up in a few years lol". Jesus, the basic tone of the language isn't even the same.

Poor girl will probably get ditched by her agency over this. Let this be a lesson to everyone about making jokes on social media.

I don't think it's poor girl anything.

She made an extremely inappropriate comment and she should suffer the consequences.

Can you imagine the uproar if a male celebrity said, "I'll get back to you when you're 18" openly to a teen girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sharpey85

I see absolute nothing wrong with anybody saying get back to me when you're 18 (or legal or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

She made an extremely inappropriate comment and she should suffer the consequences.

Can you imagine the uproar if a male celebrity said, "I'll get back to you when you're 18" openly to a teen girl?

This guy got away with it:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

This guy got away with it:
    ... ...

meh

Another anti-trump lying propaganda piece.

Show the full video and the comment in the content of the ongoing conversation he was having.

• Advertisement

Keplar240B wrote: »
    meh

Another anti-trump lying propaganda piece.

Show the full video and the comment in the content of the ongoing conversation he was having.

You think context will make him saying that to a 10-year old girl OK ...? Context or not, it's a wildly inappropriate thing for anyone in power to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

So the Charlie rumours are now public.

https://twitter.com/TruthFeedNews/status/928311166828396546

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Can you imagine the uproar if a male celebrity said, "I'll get back to you when you're 18" openly to a teen boy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

"From The National Enquirer"

Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Pelvis wrote: »
    "From The National Enquirer"

Okay.

Their sorce is someone who has been accused of molesting Haim in the past, this feels like some major deflecting.
    Who would get in trouble if it's untrue? The National Enquirer or The Daily Mail for just reposting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

sharpey85 wrote: »
    I see absolute nothing wrong with anybody saying get back to me when you're 18 (or legal or whatever)

It's an idiotic and cringey thing to say. Always has been and heard it said in my own youth, just in this day and age it's going to be scrutinised and called out.

Jeffrey Tambor Being Investigated By Amazon On Sexual Harassment Claims; Actor “Adamantly” Denies Allegations
    EXCLUSIVE: Three weeks after Amazon Studios boss Roy Price resigned over sexual harassment claims, the company now is conducting an investigation into allegations against Transparent star Jeffrey Tambor. An Amazon spokesperson confirmed to Deadline that the company have initiated an investigation. In a statement, Tambor himself calls the claims “baseless.”

http://deadline.com/2017/11/jeffrey-tambor-sexual-harassment-claims-amazon-1202204220/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I wasn't expecting something this extreme: Ridley Scott is going to reshoot all Spacey's scenes from the upcoming 'All the Money in the World' with Christopher Plummer taking over as JP Getty. A movie, as the article points out, that was already finished, had trailers released and was gearing up for its December release:

https://www.avclub.com/kevin-spacey-being-replaced-by-christopher-plummer-in-a-1820276823

Doesn't sound like Spacey was that prominent a character in the first place (and if I'm honest his old-age makeup was just distracting), but this sounds like a logistical nightmare, especially if there are no apparent signs of the film being put back.

Terry Crews has now filed a legal complaint against his alleged sexual assault, who has been identified as Adam Venit of WME.

Venit has since been placed on leave.

Source: The Daily Mail

That incident was one of the more shocking, in my opinion, because it happened right in front of Crews' wife, which shows a total lack of remorse or shame that any of these people had.

I wonder if Kevin Spacey can ever work again. I don't see how he can unless its a novel one man production. Nobody could be seen to work with him even if they wanted to. It seems like Polanski got forgiven because of the time it was in when things were a bit different, and how he was so 'artistic'. There really is no forgiving Spacey whatever way you look at it.

Probably its time for a Trump tweet that he was 'overrated anyway' for the final nail :pac:

• Advertisement

Polanski has continued to direct movies, despite actual prosecutions of sexual assaults on children. Sure, they're nowhere near as big as previous movies, but he's still working. Right now all we have on Spacey is allegations - his career is ruined and he'll likely be nowhere near as big as he was, but he'll likely still get some degree of acting roles.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is this still all from him making a pass at a teenager in the 80's or did something worse come out?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is this still all from him making a pass at a teenager in the 80's or did something worse come out?

TBH Winona Ryder's career was ruined for years over her shoplifting and Mel Gibson was blackballed by Hollywood for years too after his racial/anti-Semitic tirade.

These, in my opinion, are much less than attempted sexual assault on a minor.

Mickeroo wrote: »

There have been running rumours for years now about Spacey chasing every pretty young male he saw, and not always taking no for an answer; the recent news was the first public confirmation of this behaviour, and I suspect a lot of groups are using it as an excuse to be seen responding to actions they presumably knew was happening for a while - but chose to ignore. Like I said, mostly rumours before recently, but persistent ones all the same.

pixelburp wrote: »
    There have been running rumours for years now about Spacey chasing every pretty young male he saw, and not always taking no for an answer; the recent news was the first public confirmation of this behaviour, and I suspect a lot of groups are using it as an excuse to be seen responding to actions they presumably knew was happening for a while - but chose to ignore. Like I said, mostly rumours before recently, but persistent ones all the same.

It's mad just how many shows have called out Spacey's tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ridley Scott's new film is being reshot with Spacey replaced by Christopher Plummer who ironically was Scott's first choice for the role of J Paul Getty in question. And yes the studio did want to cast a better known name even if 30 year too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

TBH Winona Ryder's career was ruined for years over her shoplifting and Mel Gibson was blackballed by Hollywood for years too after his racial/anti-Semitic tirade.

These, in my opinion, are much less than attempted sexual assault on a minor.

I think in Winona's case at least surely there was a mental health issue involved at the time, as in why would someone financially sound be shoplifting? So it always disturbed me how much the wolves came out for her like they did.....and that's me as a kid who could realise that.

Mel is a more complicated matter but there's no doubt that the man was struggling and an alcoholic. What he did was disgraceful, but he didn't deserve to be blackballed as he was.

I think in Winona's case at least surely there was a mental health issue involved at the time, as in why would someone financially sound be shoplifting? So it always disturbed me how much the wolves came out for her like they did.....and that's me as a kid who could realise that.

Mel is a more complicated matter but there's no doubt that the man was struggling and an alcoholic. What he did was disgraceful, but he didn't deserve to be blackballed as he was.

True.

Poor Wynona was just mental. She had a lot of issues and is more a case for a wider discussion about prescription drugs and doctors/psychiatrists handing out pills like smarties. The poor girl was on a cocktail of drugs just to get her out of bed.

Mel (an alcoholic for many years) said something anti semitic in hollywood. There's nothing more to be said on that matter. Saying something like that, in that town is guaranteeing a period of persona non grata.

I'm still a bit puzzled at Spacey's fall from grace though. All we have in the Rapp case is an allegation, but no actual assault it seems. Spacey backed off when told no. And there's no evidence that he even was aware of Rapp's age.

It's true there are other allgations of him being a bit "hands free" and all that, but if I must be missing other, more egregious stuff, because compared to the likes of Weinstein and Polanski, he's small potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm still a bit puzzled at Spacey's fall from grace though. All we have in the Rapp case is an allegation, but no actual assault it seems. Spacey backed off when told no. And there's no evidence that he even was aware of Rapp's age.

It's true there are other allgations of him being a bit "hands free" and all that, but if I must be missing other, more egregious stuff, because compared to the likes of Weinstein and Polanski, he's small potatoes.

You're a bit puzzled by the fall from grace of someone accused of multiple sexual assaults and being sexually inappropriately with a minor? And you question, for absolutely no reason, if he was aware of Rapp's age? He had been working with Rapp in a play for christ sake.

This is Rapp, on the left, at around 16.

1624-2.jpg

Can you imagine what he looked like at 14 and still seriously question Spacey's fall from grace??

Advertisement