Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Hard to argue with Baldwin there. He'll get a lot of abuse though I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

silverharp wrote: »
    some parents sailed very close to the line of prostituting out their kids to keep the $$$ rolling in

Judy Garland's mother basically sold her to MGM studio as a child. She was Hollywood property from an early age.
    It's so sad and tragic what happened to her. On the set of Oz they gave her pills to lose weight, pills to stay awake, pills to go to sleep... she was drugged up to her eyeballs for most of that movie.

http://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/167269/Dark-side-of-Oz-The-exploitation-of-Judy-Garland

There were also claims that she was sexually harassed by the older men playing the munchkins. These were like 40 year old men groping a 17 year old. I adored Judy as a child and can't watch Oz now without tearing up. She was never able to get her life back on track after what those horrible people did to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

anna080 wrote: »
    Judy Garland's mother basically sold her to MGM studio as a child. She was Hollywood property from an early age.
    It's so sad and tragic what happened to her. On the set of Oz they gave her pills to lose weight, pills to stay awake, pills to go to sleep... she was drugged up to her eyeballs for most of that movie.

http://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/167269/Dark-side-of-Oz-The-exploitation-of-Judy-Garland

This is one of the big dirty secrets in Hollywood. Many of the parents know exactly what is going on, and they have no problems sending their kids into the rape marts of Disney and Nickelodeon.

They've pimped their children for money, that's the bottom line.
    Someone is going to make a lot of money selling rope in Hollywood some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Brooke Sheild's didn't speak with her mother for many years I believe over her allowing her to be cast in Pretty Baby as an 11 year prostitute. More shocking however are the photos that were taken of her the year before. Not sure what publication they appeared in at the time.

Eva Ionesco is probably the most famous of all those child stars that were exploited though. She was in Playboy at 11. A director now and has made a film about her life. Seen it in the IFI a few years back. It's called My Little Princess.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I guess there will always be parents willing to exploit their children. My son, like most kids his age, loves watching youtube videos of children playing video games or opening toys. Which seems relatively harmless but the most popular of these channels are produced by parents who are film professionals and produce an output of videos that mean their children have to be working for hours and hours each day. Their home and family lives, their play, their enjoyment of toys, holidays, trips to playgrounds and restaurants are all turned into a commodity and sold for profit. Instead of just being able to chill out after school or instead of getting to spend time in learning if they are homeschooled, they have to work really hard because producing a 15 minute video requires hours of repetitious work. The parts of their lives that should just be about pleasure are turned into a boring drudge. Even their birthday and Christmas mornings are filmed and rigorously worked at so they look perfect.

I know that pales in comparison to the abuse so many children are alleged to have undergone from the likes of Dan Schneider. But it still goes to show that there is a type of parent who will commodify their children for money and notoriety.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Parents who pimp their children out to Hollywood, or to child beauty pageants, or to the music industry or any showbiz enterprise and do not allow them to just be children should be prosecuted and have their children removed by social services as they are unfit parents who place their own monetary concerns over their child's welfare. At least there should be limits and very stringent safeguards in place.

And many if not most of these parents know about the potential dangers of perverts and paedophiles operating in these showbiz circles but opt to put their children in harm's way eventually. They are either downright naive or, sadly more likely, indifferent.

Now I do know there are child actors who willingly chose to enter the profession - like Jodie Foster and Elijah Wood - but look at how many get deeply f*cked up, become drug addicts and die at a tragically early age. Look at Judy Garland. MGM property at a tender age and drugged up to her eyeballs on the set of Oz. She never really recovered. The sad thing is that her daughter Liza Minelli has sort of gone down the same road.

Look at Drew Barrymore. Starred in ET aged 7, was drinking alcohol by age 10 and on cocaine by 12. Where were her parents?? At least she is a survivor. Poor Corey Haim and many other child actors weren't so fortunate.

It's sickening for me too, read an article in the Guardian a while ago about these charlatans holding bootcamp workshops on helping your child to become a "social media superstar". Really disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hard to argue with Baldwin there. He'll get a lot of abuse though I imagine.

Look at some of the replies to that Twitter link even.

Implications that Baldwin himself is a sexual abuser because of his 'shifty eyes', attacked for not going public with a rumour and accused of 'victim shaming' and defending Harvey Weinstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's sickening for me too, read an article in the Guardian a while ago about these charlatans holding bootcamp workshops on helping your child to become a "social media superstar". Really disturbing.

I'd bet big money there are some insidious things going on behind the scenes in regards to some young Instagram stars.

Preteens acting like they're 19 or 20 is a disturbing phenomena that appears to be growing as they try an emulate these young "role models" and like everything else it's a bringing in new challenges for parents and caregivers alike.

And unfortunately when said parents and caregivers fall into the stereotypical showbiz mom/dad category it creates a perfect storm whereby the childs wellbeing can potentially play second fiddle to the more "important" things.

Look at some of the replies to that Twitter link even.

Implications that Baldwin himself is a sexual abuser because of his 'shifty eyes', attacked for not going public with a rumour and accused of 'victim shaming' and defending Harvey Weinstein.
    It's the way of the world now. There's a respectful argument to be had about what Baldwin said but people do not deal in the colour grey anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Hamlet.

House of Cards has been bad for a while but can't imagine just how rubbish and pointless it'll now be with Spacey.

Cowards drop him over allegations with no proof. Nature of the times we live in.

if you're wondering why the 14 year old didn't press charges there's two reasons. One is that the incident may never have taken place. Two is that 'laying on top of someone' is not a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems the only one not sexually assaulting people was Michael Jackson, they must have all loved him taking the blame. Even Feldman said Jackson was only one who he trusted, only one not an abuser.
    Whole FBI and CIA tried to pin stuff on Jackson and could not find a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hamlet. wrote: »
    Was referencing one of the reported accusations against Spacey

Are you talking about a 14 year old? You are victim blaming a 14 year old? Serioualy?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

House of Cards has been bad for a while but can't imagine just how rubbish and pointless it'll now be with Spacey.

Cowards drop him over allegations with no proof. Nature of the times we live in.

if you're wondering why the 14 year old didn't press charges there's two reasons. One is that the incident may never have taken place. Two is that 'laying on top of someone' is not a crime.

Your way of thinking is all kinds of fcuked up.

Your way of thinking is all kinds of fcuked up.

Do you believe that what the alleged victim has accused Spacey of is a crime?

Are you talking about a 14 year old? You are victim blaming a 14 year old? Serioualy?

I know, it's sickening. It's not surprising to me among the sewage I'm reading here lately.

Look at the discussion about complicity. Are they pointing fingers at the hangers on and the personal staff who set up appointments for Harvey, in his bathrobe, having been part of the team that ushered girls in and out for their 'encounters'? Or his company, who were so aware of his proclivities that they had a clause making him responsible for the cost of silencing his victims?

No, they're going for the victims.

The women who were threatened, professionally ruined, abused, raped and silenced with threats of defamation suits or probably worse if they failed to convict if they went to the law. They're the issue here, because they didn't ruin their lives further. They're being blamed for the continued abuse - the abusers blame is now secondary to examining all the ways the victims have fallen short.

Come again?

If it is attempted rape then yes. I'm not sure what evidence you have for denying it. And frankly yes you victim blaming a 14 year old is twisted and sick.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If it is attempted rape then yes. I'm not sure what evidence you have for denying it. And frankly yes you victim blaming a 14 year old is twisted and sick.

It clearly wasn't attempted rape. Read his statement and stop inventing things.

No crime was committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

He came onto someone he found in his bed, he backed off when asked.

The issue here isn't so much what he did, its whether he knew the guy was a child.

• Advertisement

It clearly wasn't attempted rape. Read his statement and stop inventing things.

No crime was committed.

Who knows what would have happened if the kid never managed to escape. All I know is in the world I Iive in, lying on top of a 14 year old child with an intent to take things further is not at all appropriate. It says a lot about the character of Spacey, wouldn't you say?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

All I know is in the world I Iive in, lying on top of a 14 year old child with an intent to take things further is not at all appropriate.
    The fact it even needs to be said A is bloody worrying.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Who knows what would have happened if the kid never managed to escape. All I know is in the world I Iive in, lying on top of a 14 year old child with an intent to take things further is not at all appropriate. It says a lot about the character of Spacey, wouldn't you say?

There's no proof the incident happened and no suggestion that there was action to take things further from the statement I read.

There's no proof the incident happened and no suggestion that there was action to take things further from the statement I read.

So he didn't rape him but only climbed on top of a child and frightened him so much that decades later he dreaded being in the same building as him? Most people don't clamber on top of someone in bed unless they're planning on bumping uglies.

There is no proof it didnt happen. Spacey didnt even deny it.

Terry Pratchet

There is no proof it didnt happen. Spacey didnt even deny it.

That's irrelevant. He didn't say it did happen either. And if it did once again I remind you that it wasn't a criminal offence.

I think some on here would be very well suited to living in Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That's irrelevant. He didn't say it did happen either. And if it did once again I remind you that it wasn't a criminal offence.

Enough has come out about Spacey in the past few days to show he was acting inappropriately for years.

Granted, I'd like to have a bit more clarity before slapping him with a paedo label but that's just me.

You have zero evidence it didnt happen. You are making stuff up at this stage.

Terry Pratchet

You have zero evidence it didnt happen. You are making stuff up at this stage.

LOL. You're the one holding an argument which requires evidence.

• Advertisement

LOL. You're the one holding an argument which requires evidence.

So he's seeking treatment for what then? Addiction to the ps4? He's a creep and he knows it. There'll be a lot more to come about his inappropriate actions.

Advertisement