Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Another actress () has come forward and said Harvey raped her twice:

Appears she could be alleging rape on the basis that she was too drunk to consent.

Drinking or not drinking, what was she doing with Weinstein a month after the original rape? Did she report any of this to the police at the time?

It seems Weinstein continued to evade being caught all this time through a combination of lazy/incompetent/corrupt law officials and victims who put their careers ahead of reporting a sexual predator.

This guy was carrying out his rapes and sexual assaults in plain sight, and it seems virtually everyone in Hollywood knew about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Drinking or not drinking, what was she doing with Weinstein a month after the original rape? Did she report any of this to the police at the time?

It seems Weinstein continued to evade being caught all this time through a combination of lazy/incompetent/corrupt law officials and victims who put their careers ahead of reporting a sexual predator.

This guy was carrying out his rapes and sexual assaults in plain sight, and it seems virtually everyone in Hollywood knew about it.

Intimidation. It's seemingly an industry where whim and favour rule the day. Nobody wants to piss off the "big" men.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wibbs wrote: »
    If true. And this point is being lost on some with this trial by twitter. As the Taoiseach says in that article "those who may have been afraid to come forward in the past may be empowered to do so when they see others coming forward. However, the Taoiseach cautioned that counterbalance is necessary in understanding that "an allegation is an allegation". He said people had a right to due process, as well as having their good name protected". While it's good the floodgates are open and scumbags are being named there's also the sniff of mob think to this.

This is why I not fan of Posts like Ciara Kelly lately.

Or those posts that along lines of saying person is around certain age, in certain job and so on. Then you have people who speculate, who may narrow it down to as low as 2 people. Then some poor soul gets branded a rapist or whatever.

To me I want people to go to Guards and family. Dont be making people guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Or those posts that along lines of saying person is around certain age, in certain job and so on. Then you have people who speculate, who may narrow it down to as low as 2 people. Then some poor soul gets branded a rapist or whatever.

Indeed. A lynch mob mentality doesn't get anyone anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Ciara Kelly has already tarnished the reputation of the person being speculated upon

Next thing you'll have people coming out having to deny it's them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yea. And some ejits on Twitter patting themselves on the back for their witty 140 character expose. Never mind the fact they've possibly reduced his chances of successfully being prosecuted, or god forbid speculate on the wrong guy- gotta get those likes and retweets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Odhinn wrote: »
    Intimidation. It's seemingly an industry where whim and favour rule the day. Nobody wants to piss off the "big" men.

He is/was a fat short balding ugly guy. He had power because people let him have power, including women. He should have been flushed out years ago. Nearly all the men and women in Hollywood knew only too well what he was doing yet the code of Omerta allowed him continue on his way.

Hollywood is forever tarnished in my book. Its not just creeps like Weinstein. Its those who worked along side them, turned a blind eye, represented them as lawyers or agents, set up meetings with young actresses, never reported sexual crimes and so on. Almost everyone in Hollywood seems to be directly or indirectly implicated.

I'd suggest the Oscars given to Weinstein should be taken back for a start. It would be a good way to return some credibility just as when Lance Armstrong was stipped of his Tour De France victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

And so it begins.. about time too.

Scotland Yard begin to investigate Stacey abuse claims from 2008 - The Guardian

New York police say they have 'enough to arrest' Harvey Weinstein after Paz de la Huerta rape allegation - Daily Telegraph

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

He's been known to be awful to actresses, even firing one when she became pregnant.

It's a bit more complex than that. She was fired because they had already written much of the next season and she only told them she was pregnant very late on, so they had to do huge rewrites to make it work and it really didn't. Not saying he was right but she wasn't fired simply for being pregnant.
    And giving actresses a job based on sexual activities would fall under sexual harassment for me.
    Yes, you can say they were consenting adults, but one was in a position of power(and this is by his own admission)-and knowing he fired an actress for the simple act of getting pregnant...that would put a young woman in a very uncompromising position.

Is that what he did though? Or did he have affairs with actresses he'd already cast and thus ended up favoring them? Sorry but I find your post highly speculative.
    He also abused his wife, with his affairs, and his lies. He made a commitment to his wife, while breaking it at every turn-then going on to denounce other serial cheaters while keeping his affairs as 'secret'.

I wasn't aware he denounced other serial cheaters; when did he do that?

Look, don't get me wrong; the guy is a toe rag for cheating on his wife. But it doesn't really appear to go much further in his case.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It's a bit more complex than that. She was fired because they had already written much of the next season and she only told them she was pregnant very late on, so they had to do huge rewrites to make it work and it really didn't. Not saying he was right but she wasn't fired simply for being pregnant.

That's bull. She didn't tell him very late on. She told him at 12 weeks, which is the standard time to tell people as before that miscarriage risk is quite high. And as she had just had a miscarriage months before, she was keeping the pregnancy quiet until she was more sure of the viability. 12 weeks pregnant also means just 10 weeks since conception and at an absolute minimum only 8 weeks after the earliest the pregnancy would have been detectable.

And he didn't just fire her, he was abusive to her throughout the filming of that series, refusing to talk to her and calling her 'that fat actress.' He absolutely torpedoed good story out of spite because destroying Cordelia's character hurt her. And when he fired her, after the baby was born and she was no longer pregnant, he didn't even have the decency to let her know (or even have his people let her agent know). She found out when a journalist contacted her for a statement. Then when a bereavement meant Gellar couldn't do a guest spot on the 100th episode and he needed someone to replace her at short notice, Carpenter was courted to come back. She was reluctant to but eventually said she wouldn't come back for her character to die and he agreed. Once she had signed a contract and was on set she was given the script where her character was killed off. A small thing in the scheme of things but the cherry on top of the inexcusable way that man treated her.

As much of an absolute pita pregnancy is to continuity it's something that all writers and showrunners have to deal with at some point and can be done with humour like on Fraiser or How I Met Your Mother, careful shooting and camera angles like The Americans pulled off recently or adapted storylines. He could even have written her out at the end of the season if he needed to, but that should have been done (at a bare minimum) by having someone tell her agent. There was no need for the disgusting and ongoing fit of pique Whedon indulged in by the way he treated a pregnant woman with a history of pregnancy loss. His behaviour obviously doesn't compare to Weinstein's but it was still an abuse of power that made it very hard to respect him long before his ex-wife spoke of his sexual behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

iguana wrote: »
    That's bull....
    Jesus I. By any metric those are the actions of a right nasty little bastard. Made worse by his "I'm a right on male feminist who loves and writes for women" bullsh1t he regularly pushed to the media and public. Though he was the golden boy for a while, like Weinstein. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put him at the same level as a serial predator like Weinstein and a couple of actresses exploited things the other way, in ways they wouldn't if he'd been a focus puller, but a greasy exploitative hypocritical wanker of the environment he found himself in he most certainly was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Hamlet.

People crying rape when they were in the accused bedroom!? First question asked to them should be then what the **** were you doing in the bedroom?

Consensual sex is dangerous these days.

Hamlet. wrote: »
    People crying rape when they were in the accused bedroom!? First question asked to them should be then what the **** were you doing in the bedroom?

If you are on about De la Huerta there was nothing consentual about their encounter. He forced himself on her. Accepting an invitation to someone's bedroom isn't an open invitation to do what you like to my body.

anna080 wrote: »
    If you are on about De la Huerta there was nothing consentual about their encounter. He forced himself on her. Accepting an invitation to someone's bedroom isn't an open invitation to do what you like to my body.

Was referencing one of the reported accusations against Spacey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jesus I. By any metric those are the actions of a right nasty little bastard. Made worse by his "I'm a right on male feminist who loves and writes for women" bullsh1t he regularly pushed to the media and public. Though he was the golden boy for a while, like Weinstein. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put him at the same level as a serial predator like Weinstein and a couple of actresses exploited things the other way, in ways they wouldn't if he'd been a focus puller, but a greasy exploitative hypocritical wanker of the environment he found himself in he most certainly was.

There's the rub for me. If he was a grubbly little power-abusing harassing sexist that'd be one thing, I mean do that and keep the head down and go fcuk yourself, that's one thing, it's bad but there you go. But as he was doing all that he was turning around and not only hyping himself as a sort of nerd feminist icon but calling other people out over bullshít (google "joss whedon jurassic world" for an example). He was profiting on his curated public image as one thing and then doing the exact opposite in private.

Do you gaslight your wife with that mouth Joss?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The 14yo? Have you seen what he looked like then? He looked undoubtedly like a kid.

actor-anthony-rapp-kevin-spacey-made-a-sexual-adv-2-10591-1509495521-2_dblbig.jpg

I see someone like that, I'd take off their shoes, tuck them in and leave a basin of water for them if they might wake up to puke. Spacey saw a sexual opportunity. He saw that little lump in the bed and got aroused.

I can't believe you'd say that the child must have known what to expect. Considering he knew Spacey for 2 years at that point and that he must somehow be sophisticated and worldly enough to know that the Spacey was secretly a) attracted to males and b) attracted to male children.

My point still stands. In fact it's even more pertinent since the child was 14.

Neyite wrote: »
    The 14yo? Have you seen what he looked like then? He looked undoubtedly like a kid.

actor-anthony-rapp-kevin-spacey-made-a-sexual-adv-2-10591-1509495521-2_dblbig.jpg

I see someone like that, I'd take off their shoes, tuck them in and leave a basin of water for them if they might wake up to puke. Spacey saw a sexual opportunity. He saw that little lump in the bed and got aroused.

I can't believe you'd say that the child must have known what to expect. Considering he knew Spacey for 2 years at that point and that he must somehow be sophisticated and worldly enough to know that the Spacey was secretly a) attracted to males and b) attracted to male children.

And he reports it to the papers 30 years later. Not the police. The papers.

The ghastly crime of someone not that much older than him who was hammered drunk 'laying on top of him'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Where were the parents of all these kids? Who lets their child go to drink/drug parties with strange adults? My parents would have been calling the police if I was a few hours late for my dinner when I was 14.

I'm not trying to deflect blame from the degenerates who took advantage of theses kids for one second, for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Neyite wrote: »

It's creepy to say it--but you have to be more specific about which 14 yr old. One he attempted to have sex with, another he did have sex with and then attempted to rape on a separate occasion.

Wth? Has someone ever walked into your room? Have you then assaulted them and said 'what did you expect?' Of course not. That's a ridiculous statement to make-there was not a single iota of consent or implied consent in this case-and since they were 14--there could be no consent given.

What is wrong with you?

De La Huerta's career and personal life was practically destroyed by this. http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/02/paz-de-la-huerta-10-most-scandalous-moments/

If you read these 'top 10 scandalous moments' thing-practically all occurred within a year of the 'alleged' rape. (I thoroughly believe her, btw-just using legalese). Only 3 relatively innocuous things did not-the real off the rails moments were the same year, or a year later. That shows a clear indication that she was trying to cover up the pain.
    Earthhorse wrote: »

Someone has answered this already-but there are many articles documenting it. He did fire her for being pregnant-considering how he catered for staff who were going thru rough times, he pregnancy could easily have been written/ hidden in the series.
    Is that what he did though? Or did he have affairs with actresses he'd already cast and thus ended up favoring them? Sorry but I find your post highly speculative.
    He didn't have affairs with the main starlets-all those women were in relationships at the time-even meeting their partners on his shows. (Allyson Hannigan & Alexis Denisof met on Buffy and later married). It was more 'actresses who got cast' in either a supporting role for an episode, or a main role for an episode. It explains why so many of them were pretty terrible actors. His wife detailed that.
    [/quote]
    I wasn't aware he denounced other serial cheaters; when did he do that?

Look, don't get me wrong; the guy is a toe rag for cheating on his wife.

Donald Trump for one-he's always on about Trump. He also blames his actors if a film isn't good-even if the entire dialogue is his, and he directed the damn movie. (Avengers 2). He's coined the term 'womb envy' for guys-then gave crap to Jurassic World despite how blindingly badly written he made Black Widow-a 'monster' cause she was sterile/ infertile. (He took a year off of social media to come up with a plausible 'that's not what I meant' excuse) His Wonder Woman script is on the internet too-it's a real stinker. The guy has no idea who Wonder Woman is. He was even planning to write a 'Tim Burton's Superman' like film of her-no powers, no flying etc.
    If the JL movie comes out, and it does well-he'll take credit. If it get's bad reviews, he'll blame everyone else, probably even Zack Snyder (or his daughter's suicide) which is typical Joss.

Seems birds of a feather flock together-the agent accused of groping Terry Crews represents Brett Ratner, Ben Affleck, and Hoffman.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5048649/Terry-Crews-alleged-male-molester-identified-agent.html
    It explains how these 'rings' of abusers sorta flock together.
    Where were the parents of all these kids? Who lets their child go to drink/drug parties with strange adults? My parents would have been calling the police if I was a few hours late for my dinner when I was 14.

I'm not trying to deflect blame from the degenerates who took advantage of theses kids for one second, for the record.

It was a different time-seriously (As a kid, you could just stay out as late you wanted, just be back in time for dinner-the 80s and 90s were like that). And most of these kids had 'PA's' and assistant's who's job it was to be a guardian. And many of them were guardians-they made sure those kids were safe. Leo DiCaprio emerged unscathed, so did Kurt Russell (he was a child actor), Ron and Clint Howard, ditto Tobey McGuire, Christian Bale (hard to believe he was once a child actor) Kirsten Dunst...there were many who, despite acting in dark subject matter, were never abused as kids. Sick as it is to imagine-certain kids get preyed upon. Usually they are from 'broken homes'-a single parent who's already overworked doesn't notice something is wrong.

It was lonnnng before the paedophile scandals we all know about today. Even one of the comments about Stranger Things is along the lines of 'how are these kids allowed out without supervision' and you just gotta remind them 'it was a different time'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It was a different time-seriously (As a kid, you could just stay out as late you wanted, just be back in time for dinner-the 80s and 90s were like that).

I was born in the 1970's. I was a kid in the 1980's. Kids didn't stay out as late as they wanted unless their parents were seriously neglecting them.

As I said, my folks would have been out looking for me if I was a couple of hours late for my dinner and would have physically dragged me home if I wanted to go to an adults party when I was 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I was born in the 1970's. I was a kid in the 1980's. Kids didn't stay you as late as they wanted unless their parents were seriously neglecting them.

As I said, my folks would have been out looking for me if I was a couple of hours late for my dinner and would have physically dragged me home if I wanted to go to an adults party when I was 14.

I was an born in the 80s, kid in the late 80s & 90s. Grew up in a rural area. I would have been out late. There was never any issues-you knew your neighbours so if you were out late, or at a friends, you could just ring home or they'd ring and tell you to get home.

Was often in pubs and bars as a kid where people were smoking and drinking all around (Before the ban) with my parents or uncles and aunts. Nothing happened. You could even go hang out with friends and it was like 'don't worry, Mrs, I'll look after your kids' would be said by an adult. And they would, they'd make sure nothing would happen to us kids. I've got videos of anniversaries (on vhs-transferred to dvd) and other parties where we were kids who were able to be kids without worry.

I wasn't a lone incident either-my friends and brother's friends have similar stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

iguana wrote: »
    That's bull. She didn't tell him very late on. She told him at 12 weeks, which is the standard time to tell people as before that miscarriage risk is quite high. And as she had just had a miscarriage months before, she was keeping the pregnancy quiet until she was more sure of the viability. 12 weeks pregnant also means just 10 weeks since conception and at an absolute minimum only 8 weeks after the earliest the pregnancy would have been detectable.

His behaviour obviously doesn't compare to Weinstein's but it was still an abuse of power that made it very hard to respect him long before his ex-wife spoke of his sexual behaviour.

We obviously read different accounts and that's awful if true. But my overall point is he's not a groper or sexual harasser even if he's a huge disappointment.
    He didn't have affairs with the main starlets-all those women were in relationships at the time-even meeting their partners on his shows. (Allyson Hannigan & Alexis Denisof met on Buffy and later married). It was more 'actresses who got cast' in either a supporting role for an episode, or a main role for an episode. It explains why so many of them were pretty terrible actors. His wife detailed that.

He obviously has a penchant for casting stunning women in main roles and but parts (being reluctant to cast the actress who played Tara for instance). I don't know why these women would be worried about being fired for getting pregnant if they are only in bit parts?!?
    Donald Trump for one-he's always on about Trump. He also blames his actors if a film isn't good-even if the entire dialogue is his, and he directed the damn movie. (Avengers 2). He's coined the term 'womb envy' for guys-then gave crap to Jurassic World despite how blindingly badly written he made Black Widow-a 'monster' cause she was sterile/ infertile. (He took a year off of social media to come up with a plausible 'that's not what I meant' excuse) His Wonder Woman script is on the internet too-it's a real stinker. The guy has no idea who Wonder Woman is. He was even planning to write a 'Tim Burton's Superman' like film of her-no powers, no flying etc.
    If the JL movie comes out, and it does well-he'll take credit. If it get's bad reviews, he'll blame everyone else, probably even Zack Snyder (or his daughter's suicide) which is typical Joss.

Wow! So now we're engaging in fantasies about him blaming Zack Snyder's daughter's suicide for the failure of the Justice League film? Wtf?!?

You're trying very hard to paint him in the worst possible light. His criticism of others work, such as JW, a criticism many people agree with, is just that, and doesn't mean he himself is free from being criticised. And his flaws don't prevent the huge body of work he's produced having lots of strong writing for women.

To put that alongside guys who barge into women's hotel rooms, forcibly rape them, or pursue minors aggressively is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

some parents sailed very close to the line of prostituting out their kids to keep the $$$ rolling in

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

We have to remember too that movie agents for many kids became friends of the parents, made sure they were trusted etc. all the while grooming their kids.

It was a more innocent time exploited to the full by these predators. The agents didn't just pull up in their flashy cars on the first/second meeting with Mum & Dad and announce they're taking their kid to a party.. it was done over time and became a natural process - the lad needs to meet actors, mingle and have fun with other kids, after all he/she is 12/13 years of age etc. needs more life experience to help him get film roles. I bet too kids made it worse by begging parents to go, as other kid actors are going too etc.. you would've needed to be a very shrewd parent to know something was amiss (like Elijah Wood's mother, who stopped him from going out).

The very same thing happened in Ireland with priests taking kids off on retreats and trips out with the blessing of the parents/single parent because Father X is a wonderful kind man taking personal time to help kids and the families. Same with youth workers and boy scout/girl guides/sport coaches are all in the position to come across as totally trustworthy and good to parents.

I think it is very easy to simplify and ask what on earth that kid was doing in that situation in the first place when actually it is so much more complex as to how these predators manipulate and come to frighteningly have so much power over kids/parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

God the more i read about the going's on in Hollywood the more sickened i become. Obviously the abuse stuff is bad enough but the constant virtue signalling from these guys and gals at award ceremonies to the rest of us whilst they partook in and hid the sexual abuse of women and minors from the public is frankly disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

It looks like Weinstein will be arrested sooner rather than later:
    Police are investigating a second claim against Harvey Weinstein in Los Angeles, as detectives in New York described a rape allegation against the disgraced producer as "credible".

The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) said on Friday afternoon that the latest complainant has accused Weinstein of "lewd conduct" in 2015, adding to the force's investigation of a rape allegation.

This came after the New York Police Department's (NYPD) chief of detectives, Robert Boyce, said the force was working to gather enough evidence to arrest the 65-year-old over claims by actress Paz de la Huerta.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/04/lapd-investigates-harvey-weinstein-lewd-conduct-adding-police/

The sooner the better. To think this sicko is still walking the streets freely make me want to vomit. God only knows what he has been attempting in the meantime.

In other news, BBC presenter Chris Evans has been accused of sexual harassment:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/03/bbc-accused-ignoring-chris-evans-sexual-harassment-claims/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Obviously the abuse stuff is bad enough but the constant virtue signalling from these guys and gals at award ceremonies to the rest of us whilst they partook in and hid the sexual abuse of women and minors from the public is frankly disgusting.
    Hollywood has pretty much always been like this. Carefully painting an image while behind the scenes... Go back to the "golden" days of Hollywood and the studios were pushing American Family Values™ while behind the scenes all sorts of drug fuelled debauchery and nastiness was going on. They could control access and their publicity much more back then though, so it (usually)only came out many years after the fact. These days with the interwebs that's more difficult for them, though as we've seen really dodgy stuff still goes under the radar for years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why are Bill Clnton's rape accusers never heard in the public arena?

Why don't CNN run a piece on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Baldwin the first (in Hollywood circles at least) to criticize the taking of hush money payments.

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/926587391455977475

Advertisement