Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Honestly, is there ANYONE involved with the JL movie who hasn't been accused of sexual harassment, and groping? (Affleck, Whedon, and now Ratner).

Whedon was accused of cheating on his wife. Can't find anything on him harassing or groping people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Whedon was accused of cheating on his wife. Can't find anything on him harassing or groping people.
    Apparently he didn't have to(if that's even in his nature. It seems it's not), because both his ex wife and he basically said he was surrounded by young actresses throwing themselves in his path(and allegedly getting more screen time and lines out of it). He used the word "aggressively". Of course one has to remove the damage control guff. Especially his angle of "sure what could I do, poor me". I'm quite sure guys like Tom Hanks and Pearce Brosnan got far more women "throwing themselves" at them but they chose not to jump. But when both sides of a nasty divorce say the same thing it's likely more true.

It seems Buffy herself Sarah Michelle Gellar wasn't one of these. Quite the opposite and she distanced herself from him. Then again she's in Hollywood and with the same bloke for donkey's years(nearly 20 IIRC). And they're the same age. *gasp* :eek: Mad or wha?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If anything comes out about Tom Hanks I will be gutted. I love that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Wibbs wrote: »
    Apparently he didn't have to(if that's even in his nature. It seems it's not), because both his ex wife and he basically said he was surrounded by young actresses throwing themselves in his path(and allegedly getting more screen time and lines out of it). He used the word "aggressively". Of course one has to remove the damage control guff. Especially his angle of "sure what could I do, poor me". I'm quite sure guys like Tom Hanks and Pearce Brosnan got far more women "throwing themselves" at them but they chose not to jump. But when both sides of a nasty divorce say the same thing it's likely more true.

I'm sure he didn't have to and I'm not saying I find Whedon's reasoning believable but to me there is a distinct line between harassing and groping people and favouring people you're having affairs or even just sex with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

anna080 wrote: »
    I'd be beyond shocked if it did. Even the trashy gossip sites online report he's a very sound man and nobody has a bad word to say of the chap.
    I'm sure he didn't have to and I'm not saying I find Whedon's reasoning believable but to me there is a distinct line between harassing and groping people and favouring people you're having affairs or even just sex with.
    Oh there most certainly is E, but in another way it's illustrative of a certain aspect of Hollywood where sexual favours are seen as a currency.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-41843955

Kevin Spacey is now taking time to seek treatment. Treatment for what, Kevin? I thought you didn't do anything?....

Aye, this "treatment" line that keeps getting trotted out bugs the crap out of me. One wonders why none of them sought "treatment" years ago?

I'm only waiting for their "post-treatment" stories of how reformed they are that will appear ad-nauseum over the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Actor Randy Quaid has revealed that he was brutally raped by a neighbour when he was 5 years old. I've always thought he seemed quite troubled in his personal life with some of his behaviour. This would probably go a long way towards explaining it.
    Explaining his reason for going public, he wrote: 'With all the other victims of abuse coming forward now is a good time to tell this story and join others dealing with their own, similar Hollywood encounters that must to be addressed and the perpetrators exposed for their evil smarminess.

'Time to drain the Hollywood swamp and get rid of these creeps.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5042037/Randy-Quaid-reveals-graphic-raped.html

Good on him, and all the other victims, for having the courage to come forward. I'm not even going to pretend I know what it must take to stand before the world and admit something as personal as that. And often to a media that wants to humiliate you, as we saw with Corey Feldman and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Actor Randy Quaid has revealed that he was brutally raped by a neighbour when he was 5 years old. I've always thought he seemed quite troubled in his personal life with some of his behaviour. This would probably go a long way towards explaining it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5042037/Randy-Quaid-reveals-graphic-raped.html

Good on him, and all the other victims, for having the courage to come forward. I'm not even going to pretend I know what it must take to stand before the world and admit something as personal as that. And often to a media that wants to humiliate you, as we saw with Corey Feldman and others.

Corey Feldman will be listened to now. Hopefully he will have the courage to expose Hollywood's pedophile rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Corey Feldman will be listened to now. Hopefully he will have the courage to expose Hollywood's pedophile rings.

Feldman will only name name's if he gets 10 million to make a documentary about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Venom wrote: »
    Feldman will only name name's if he gets 10 million to make a documentary about it.

he named one today

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/11/john-jon-grissom-corey-feldman/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Hooch just tweeted. It's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hooch just tweeted. It's not good.

and Wilson is talking to lawyers

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Just waiting on a statement from Buzz Lightyear.

Another actress () has come forward and said Harvey raped her twice:

HBO star alleges Harvey Weinstein raped her

Sources tell CBS News that New York City police have brought prosecutors new rape allegations against Hollywood movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.

Actress Paz de la Huerta says that in October of 2010, Weinstein offered to give her a ride home to her New York City apartment, after a party, because the two lived in the same neighborhood.

She says Weinstein insisted they have drinks. The pair eventually ended up inside her apartment.

That's when she alleges Weinstein took off her dress and forced himself on her.

"He pushed me on the bed ... and it happened all very suddenly," she said.

More than a month later, she claims she confronted Weinstein at the Four Seasons in Los Angeles because she says Weinstein kept calling her.

On December 23 of the same year, she says Weinstein showed up in the lobby of her apartment, they went upstairs and de la Huerta alleges he raped her a second time.

De la Huerta has been in numerous films and starred in HBO's "Boardwalk Empire."

"A senior sex crimes prosecutor is assigned to this investigation, and the Office has been working with our partners in the NYPD since the new allegations came to light," a statement read. "As this is an active investigation, we will not be commenting further."

De la Huerta says at the time of the alleged second rape, she had been drinking and was in no state to be having consensual sex.

Appears she could be alleging rape on the basis that she was too drunk to consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I won't be able to look at some older movies the same again after all this. What those poor child actors went through off camera is beyond deplorable. All those talented actors and actresses who didn't get a part in a movie because they wouldn't lower themselves to sleep with the director meaning their career may have ended before it begun. In the case of child actors and actresses they were obviously warned to shut up, no one would believe them or something more sinister to keep their silence. This is Hollywood the great land of make believe so victims couldn't come forward in anyway shape or form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Apparently he was raped on the set of Big by Elizabeth Perkins when he was just 12 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Another actress () has come forward and said Harvey raped her twice:

Appears she could be alleging rape on the basis that she was too drunk to consent.

Just from my reading, it sounds like rape to me. She wasn't interested, and he made her forcibly have sex. There was an element of overpowering her, and no element of consent.

He's been known to be awful to actresses, even firing one when she became pregnant. And giving actresses a job based on sexual activities would fall under sexual harassment for me.
    Yes, you can say they were consenting adults, but one was in a position of power(and this is by his own admission)-and knowing he fired an actress for the simple act of getting pregnant...that would put a young woman in a very uncompromising position.
    He also abused his wife, with his affairs, and his lies. He made a commitment to his wife, while breaking it at every turn-then going on to denounce other serial cheaters while keeping his affairs as 'secret'.

More rape allegations have also been brought against Brett Ratner-so far two women have come forward (Natasha Henstridge from Species for one, another individual for another) as well as other accusations.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/11/02/natasha-henstridge-details-day-brett-ratner-allegedly-sexually-assaulted-her.html

More people have come forward about Spacey, 8 new accusers, so far.

Also, someone has come forward stating him and Spacey were in a 'relationship' when Spacemonster was in his 20s, and his 'partner' was 14-and he ended the relationship when Kevin tried to rape him.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4831992/young-kevin-spacey-slept-with-teen-14-and-tried-to-rape-him-as-eight-more-accusers-come-forward/

Corey Feldman was on the Dr. Oz show earlier and named one of the actors that molested / raped him and Corey Haim.

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/926271875952644096

Yeah-that's noted in an earlier post. It's intriguing and notable that Grissom only has two films on his CV-both with the two Corey's.
    Also, if you google 'Jon Grissom'-you'll get an image of an older guy in blue tee shirt. That's not the guy who molested him.
    This is.

Yeah-that's noted in an earlier post.

Oh hadn't spotted that.
    It's intriguing and notable that Grissom only has two films on his CV-both with the two Corey's.

Well, going from the reality series and snippets from Feldman's book, apparently that's because the guy wasn't an actor at all but was one of his father's mates who went on to become Feldman's assistant. The bit parts seem to be something he got Grissom just because he could. One wonders why then did he not name him before now as this guy clearly has no power in Hollywood.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The floodgates really are beginning to open. People are emboldened to finally speak up about their abuse at the hands of showbiz moguls. Its like a domino effect - the more that speak up, the more that feel safe to reveal their past ordeals.

I really can't imagine anything sordid coming out about Tom Hanks. He's one of the good guys IMO. Susan Sarandon is another actor who I believe is very decent. I've lost any shred of respect I used to have for Meryl Streep given her complete hypocrisy in all this. But it does beg the question - are the good people (men in particular) in Hollywood in the minority?

• Advertisement

Oh hadn't spotted that.

Well, going from the reality series and snippets from Feldman's book, apparently that's because the guy wasn't an actor at all but was one of his father's mates who went on to become Feldman's assistant. The bit parts seem to be something he got Grissom just because he could. One wonders why then did he not name him before now as this guy clearly has no power in Hollywood.

The Dan Schneider rumours keep getting revived-I imagine something will happen there too.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    The floodgates really are beginning to open. People are emboldened to finally speak up about their abuse at the hands of showbiz moguls. Its like a domino effect - the more that speak up, the more that feel safe to reveal their past ordeals.

I really can't imagine anything sordid coming out about Tom Hanks. He's one of the good guys IMO. Susan Sarandon is another actor who I believe is very decent. I've lost any shred of respect I used to have for Meryl Streep given her complete hypocrisy in all this. But it does beg the question - are the good people (men in particular) in Hollywood in the minority?

I would say no-genuinely, I would say No. There are more good people than you think. (Disturbingly, Asia Argento got very little support from women, when she revealed her rape. It was mostly men-even if there were a few scumbag guys denouncing her too) There are quite a few good guys in Hollywood. Those who had no idea of the abuses-Kevin Smith, for example-have gone out of their way to help those who were abused (He's donating any profits he earns from his movies to rape charities). Other people, such as Spielberg, George Lucas, Francis Ford Coppola, Jeffrey Katzenberg (film producer), Christopher Nolan, etc-have never had a bad word said against them-the worst Harrison Ford could say was 'Lucas will replace all actors with puppets'. (Katzenberg also resigned from the Weinstein company when Harvey's crimes came to light).

Katzenberg apologised to Molly Ringwald for an alleged comment he made-which he said he had no recollection of, and claimed he would never say to a young woman-and that was the worst that could be dug up on him (I believe he may have just made a bad joke, or maybe it was picked up wrong-I say dumb things all the time, and never mean it). And I believe him. The reason being a documentary called 'Waking Sleeping Beauty' about the Disney Renaissance. Jeffrey was one of the few people who spoke to the animation crew (men and women) about how hard working for Disney had become and he became very emotional discussing it-and tried to fix it. (He got trampled over, however, and left to form Dreamworks-where he poached a ton of Disney talent).

Of the women tho-I think there are an equal number of bad people, across the genders. Jennifer Lawrence and Chace Crawford have both spoken of their treatment by women producers. As a male actor, you go into an audition and are pretty much told 'take your shirt off'. You may even be asked to strip to your boxer shorts.
    Reese Witherspoon, without batting an eyelid, spoke of 'auditioning' the guys in her recent film-one of whom was to play her love interest (and all were younger than her). It's pretty much the 'take your shirt off' audition too. Nobody blinked. If the shoe was on the other foot, and it was a male actor saying the same-the internet would roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    How deep does this go that's the question. There is plenty of stuff out there about political figureheads in the UK in particular taking part in sex parties with children as recent as 2010. It's blindingly obvious there is a large cohort of these sick pedos in positions of power both in the UK and the US. But that's them and tbh i'm more worried about what goes on here in our own country were let's face it we have previous in this area.

Seems the Gate Theatre is now under a storm. The blog post allegations are bring shared widely on fb and twitter. I have read them and they are quite sickening.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1103/917165-harassment/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's true but I'm struggling to see something malevolent in a 26-year-old Spacey drunkenly coming on to a guy he'd spent the evening partying with in a night club and that he found in HIS bed after a party.

So is Rapp angry and frustrated about what happened or about the fact that Spacey tried to keep his homosexuality a secret when he (Rapp) knew better?

Wtf. Victim Blaming. Talk about nasty ****.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Seems the Gate Theatre is now under a storm. The blog post allegations are bring shared widely on fb and twitter. I have read them and they are quite sickening.
    If true. And this point is being lost on some with this trial by twitter. As the Taoiseach says in that article "those who may have been afraid to come forward in the past may be empowered to do so when they see others coming forward. However, the Taoiseach cautioned that counterbalance is necessary in understanding that "an allegation is an allegation". He said people had a right to due process, as well as having their good name protected". While it's good the floodgates are open and scumbags are being named there's also the sniff of mob think to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

One of those gorillas has just come out with a complaint against David Attenborough

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Nal wrote: »
    One of those gorillas has just come out with a complaint against David Attenborough
    Virunga NP rangers are on the case.

The Nal wrote: »

I thought you meant Gorillaz and expected you to say Damon Albarn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1103/917165-harassment/

Some are, while others are nothing more than examples of him being a bit of a dickhead. Problem is, Dyas has already set a piss poor standard of what constitutes shocking and inappropriate behaviour when her own story about Michael Colgan was about as shocking as the electrical charge which comes from rubbing a balloon.

I swear, if Michael Colgan is the closest Ireland comes to having a Harvey Weinstein-type figure then we've done alright.

What I truly can't stand is how Dyas uses the 'IrishWeinstein' hashtag to advertise stories in which the worst thing he did was grab someone's arse. To me, she's coming across as a sensationalist idiot, blatantly misleading her audience with actual clickbait, but they're too busy praising her heroism to notice or even care.

She's desperately trying to make a monster akin to Weinstein but the allegations, so far, are nowhere near as vile. Colgan is a wanker, Weinstein is a monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Yeah-that's noted in an earlier post. It's intriguing and notable that Grissom only has two films on his CV-both with the two Corey's.
    Also, if you google 'Jon Grissom'-you'll get an image of an older guy in blue tee shirt. That's not the guy who molested him.
    This is.

Grissom has a child sex abuse record, according to that link.

Depressingly, if you take a look at the comments in the post below, most people are still sneering and dismissing Feldman's claims. I just want to grab them and slap some sense into them. Don't they realise what is going on here? It's like all those people who refused to even consider the allegations about the Church, despite all the mounting evidence.

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/926271875952644096

• Advertisement

Does anyone else find the word choice odd in that heavy.com article?

"Later in the show, Feldman and the doctor called local police to report the crime. Throughout the performance, Feldman was flanked by his wife, Courtney Anne Mitchell"

Referring to it as a performance, I mean. It seems ill-fitting to call someone that was sexually abused reporting the crime to police a "performance".

Advertisement