Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The guy was 16...it is totally off the wall to be mentioning paedophilia in that context.

A 16 year old guy getting a bl..job from a 26 year old woman is not “abuse”.

What? The age difference is ick but that's the least of the reasons why it's abuse. He was probably above the age of consent but did you miss the stuff about him being drugged?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

The guy was 16...it is totally off the wall to be mentioning paedophilia in that context.

A 16 year old guy getting a bl..job from a 26 year old woman is not “abuseâ€.

You need a good long look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

That’s a very mature post.

I’d venture that the people conflating paedophilia and a 16 year guy being given Jack Daniel, speed, and a bl..job by a 26 year old TV starlet need to reflect on their own hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

That’s a very mature post.

I’d venture that the people conflating paedophilia and a 16 year guy being given Jack Daniel, speed, and a bl..job by a 26 year old TV starlet need to reflect on their own hysteria.

It was against his will, there was no consent. That meets the definition of sexual assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Andrew Beef is banned for a week so won't be responding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bellamy Young, an actress on Scandal, said she felt Ryan Seacrest should not present at the Oscars...

...she was forced to apologise. Can't believe having an opinion like that is something you have to apologise for.

I mean Casey Affleck did the decent thing and stepped down from presenting, it will look very bad if Seacrest sticks around. Jimmy Kimmel saying he 'respects his truth' is also blinkered.

There was not a lot choosing to go speak to him I thought on the red carpet and his former colleague Kelly Ripa came over and kinda fawned over him, it was awkward as she brought more attention to him imho

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Do we really need the Oscars anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The ratings say...no. ;)

It was intriguing how there was a 'TimesUp' movement--and yet one of the biggest, most controversial figures at the Oscars was Kobe Bryant, the guy who was involved in a high profile rape case. (Dear Basketball won for best short animated film).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There was not a lot choosing to go speak to him I thought on the red carpet and his former colleague Kelly Ripa came over and kinda fawned over him, it was awkward as she brought more attention to him imho

He presents a daily show with Ripa still , so I suppose she has to defend him. I didn't watch any of the red carpet stuff but it sounds like it was awkward as hell. Don't know why he didn't step down tbh, apart from anything it must have been humiliating for him

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    He presents a daily show with Ripa still , so I suppose she has to defend him. I didn't watch any of the red carpet stuff but it sounds like it was awkward as hell. Don't know why he didn't step down tbh, apart from anything it must have been humiliating for him

Damned if he did, damned if he didn't, I think. Either one assumes he's guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

TV is really where it's at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

ceadaoin. wrote: »

I suppose if he feels like he hasn’t done anything wrong then he shouldn’t have to. I don’t know the first thing about Ryan tbh but I’ve read that an internal investigation has cleared him of any wrongdoing, and yet the allegation has stuck and impacted his career, and I’m sure being avoided by those who would usually sell their granny to be acknowledged by him was humiliating.
    The pendulum is now swinging in the extreme opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Emma Stone getting a fair bit of grief on social media etc. because her disingenuous jibe about "four men and Greta Gerwig" being nominated for best director didn't allude to the ethnicity of two of the men.

Essentially she didn't go far enough with her self-righteous nonsense.

Hollywood may well eat itself yet. One can only hope.

The Oscars really are just a bunch of cnuts slapping other cnuts on the back and celebrating what a successful bunch of snake oil salesme.... salespersons they really are.

Emma Stone getting a fair bit of grief on social media etc. because her disingenuous jibe about "four men and Greta Gerwig" being nominated for best director didn't allude to the ethnicity of two of the men.

The Oscars really are just a bunch of cnuts slapping other cnuts on the back and celebrating what a successful bunch of snake oil salesme.... salespersons they really are.

Of course she'd ignore colour-this is the woman who played an Asian character in Aloha.

She's probably bitter this is her last year of not being cast as a mom (Once an actress hits 30, that's the roles she'll get-eg Mila Kunis).

• Site Banned Posts: 23 swift18

lead best actor
    (((oldmann)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Of course she'd ignore colour-this is the woman who played an Asian character in Aloha.

She's probably bitter this is her last year of not being cast as a mom (Once an actress hits 30, that's the roles she'll get-eg Mila Kunis).

Well, this is daft. 30 is very far from the cut off there. Mila Kunis, your example, ably demonstrates that. She turned 30 4.5 years ago, most of her roles since then have not been ‘mother’ roles. Only one has been: Bad Moms and a Christmas special featuring the same character. Things get tough for older actresses but you’re talking late 30s to 40, rather than 30.

And people having a go at her for not mentioning the diversity of the nominees are being ridiculous. She’s not Superwoman.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, this is daft. 30 is very far from the cut off there. Mila Kunis, your example, ably demonstrates that. She turned 30 4.5 years ago, most of her roles since then have not been ‘mother’ roles. Only one has been: Bad Moms and a Christmas special featuring the same character. Things get tough for older actresses but you’re talking late 30s to 40, rather than 30.

And people having a go at her for not mentioning the diversity of the nominees are being ridiculous. She’s not Superwoman.

Well, as soon as she was 30, she was cast as the witch in Oz: Great and powerful. That's pretty much a trope-women over 30 are cast as the witch, and not the good one.

Angelina Jolie was close to 30 when she was cast as Colin Farrells mom in Alexander-and he was 3 years younger. It's a sad hollywood trope, but it's true. Mila Kunis was an example, there's way more.

Well, as soon as she was 30, she was cast as the witch in Oz: Great and powerful. That's pretty much a trope-women over 30 are cast as the witch, and not the good one.

Angelina Jolie was close to 30 when she was cast as Colin Farrells mom in Alexander-and he was 3 years younger. It's a sad hollywood trope, but it's true. Mila Kunis was an example, there's way more.
    Stone won an Oscar last year, was in the fantastic Battle of The Sexes at the end of last year. Pretty sure she's got more options than most actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Well, as soon as she was 30, she was cast as the witch in Oz: Great and powerful. That's pretty much a trope-women over 30 are cast as the witch, and not the good one. .

She played the young innocent naive one who goes evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I actually thought the films this year were decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

The luvvies at the Oscars are unbearable. I just enjoy the glitz and glamour. Maybe, just maybe, not as many women want to be directors?? It seems to be heading in the direction of quotas. Encourage female directors, sure, but the grandstanding recently is so cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

So will they eliminate the most sexist element of all? (no not Harvey)
    The fact that there's separate categories for
    Best Actor / Actress
    Best Supporting Actor / Actress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Morto for Emma Watson.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Morto for Emma Watson.

Why, what I miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

mathie wrote: »
    So will they eliminate the most sexist element of all? (no not Harvey)
    The fact that there's separate categories for
    Best Actor / Actress
    Best Supporting Actor / Actress

Did this at the VMA's and it led to whinging over sexism when females won less than the males.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Why, what I miss?
    Her new tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Her new tattoo.

It's fake, and it was only a missing apostrophe, it would've been fairly simple to add one in if it had been real.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Her new tattoo.

I'm sure she'll head back to her multi-million pound mansion and weep dramatically about a tiny typo on a tattoo.

Or more likely she'll make a joke about it and then go back to not giving a ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

neonsofa wrote: »
    It's fake, and it was only a missing apostrophe, it would've been fairly simple to add one in if it had been real.
    Seemed like a storm in a teacup.

• Advertisement

Why, what I miss?

A fake tattoo that says Time's Up missing apostrophe, bit of an overreaction to it by some as demonstrated by Vladimir.

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a19135480/emma-watson-times-up-tattoo-typo-response-tweet/

Advertisement