Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was just this instance I found puzzling. Certainly wouldn't question Frasers honesty or integrity. But in 2003 he was a fairly big star. Had a couple of blockbusters under his belt and his career was on an upwards trajectory. I couldn't fathom him taking that abuse from anyone. It's disgusting that it happened and upsetting how it affected him. I just find it baffling regardless of who the offender is.
    I'm a laid back person and wouldn't be a threat to anyone, but I wouldn't let that sort of abuse pass. If not all a physical response, I'd certainly be reporting it.
    That business is a very fickle one FF. Especially in front of the camera. All sorts of factors are in play that could have you A list today and "who?" tomorrow. There is a very long list of "where are they now?" of people who were once well known and now live in obscurity. And consider that the vast majority of "stars" went through years of struggle competing against countless others to get into the business, never mind getting starring roles.

It makes "stars" very wary of rocking the boat and even those that are considered "rebels" are usually scripted that way for public consumption. The PR machine is god, all hail the PR machine. It's another world compared to what most of us live FF. The rewards for the tiny few may be great, but even for them it's a gilded cage.

So yeah I can understand someone like Brendan who was headlining films, but not near the stage of the power of greenlighting them, or getting projects off the ground because his name was attached, being very reticent to come forward with anything that might upset his career. Look at the women who pissed off Weinstein, woman who were box office draws, women who then went off the radar.

Like I say FF, a different world.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

_Dara_ wrote: »
    What’s that now? Can’t find much detail about the accusations. People aren’t giving much away in articles. Maybe for legal reasons?

The post that started it, by Brooke Magnanti aka Belle du Jour

Mod- Orders from on high. no link to that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

There was a case here in Ireland many years ago where a rich douchebag sexually assaulted a young woman, with a similar method to Porter. He was damned in the media, and rightly so, despite blaming medications. (An excuse I don't believe).
    Nobody said forgive him, or 'the sentence outweighs the crime'.

Are you seriously comparing what that moron Porter did to an animal who chased a young lady down a laneway and was only stopped from "completing" the assault when he was chased away by a passer by?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0731/634201-anthony-lyons-court/

Talk sense, lad... jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Fraser is a renowned gentle man. Just because he worked out at the gym for his career does not mean he is in any way aggressive.

And is so common in these instances, why the hell are putting some blame on Fraser for not defending himself? Philip Berk is a massive name in Hollywood and, at the time, absolutely had the ability to severely damage someones career.

The people in suits in the background have far far more power than any celebrity.

I highly recommend 'Gods and Monsters' starring Fraser. Not merely because it's a very good film and perhaps his best performance in a rare dramatic role for him, but because in an odd way it kind of ties into this whole thread and explains how these situations can arise.

The film is a fictionalized account of the director (of the Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein films) James Whale and his relationship with his gardener played by Fraser.
    Whale was blacklisted because he was gay and rather too openly so for Hollywood at the time and Fraser plays a young straight man that comes to work for him during the final months of his life. They develop a rather complex relationship, Fraser's character is rather naive and a little bit star struck and needs a job, Whale (played brilliantly by Ian McKellen) becomes something of a father figure and mentor to him.
    But there is a disparate power relationship there, an older, wealthy, Hollywood type and the young naive employee.
    One scene shows how an evolving situation can result in, even somebody like Brendan Fraser, suddenly out of his depth in a suddenly sexual situation.
    After agreeing to allow Whale (who was also an artist) to paint him, increasing unclothed, the situation evolves into an outright attempt at sexual assault. How it ends up there, is by the slow degrees of allowing somebody permission to do things you are only marginally comfortable with, until buy my means of charm, flattery and a bit of subtle manipulation of Fraser's character not wanting to feel like an unsophisticated yokel, he finds himself out of his depth in a situation that's tricky to extricate himself from without consequence.
    You can ask yourself, out of context, how does an elderly, infirm man sexually assault a young, physically strong guy. But you watch the film and absolutely understand the series of events that result in that.
    I'm writing about this obliquely however because I don't want to spoil the motivations and plot points that lead up to what happens for people that haven't seen the film. It's both a shocking and sympathetic scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

conorhal wrote: »
    I highly recommend 'Gods and Monsters' starring Fraser. Not merely because it's a very good film and perhaps his best performance in a rare dramatic role for him, but because in an odd way it kind of ties into this whole thread and explains how these situations can arise.

The film is a fictionalized account of the director (of the Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein films) James Whale and his relationship with his gardener played by Fraser.
    Whale was blackballed because he was gay and rather too openly so for Hollywood and Fraser plays a young straight man that comes to work for him during the final months of his life. They develop a rather complex relationship, Fraser's character is rather naive and a little bit star struck and needs a job and Whale (played brilliantly by Ian McKellen) becomes something of a father figure and mentor to him. But there is a disparate power relationship there, an older, wealthy, Hollywood type and his young naive employee.
    One scene shows how an evolving situation can see even somebody like Fraser suddenly out of his depth. After agreeing to allow Whale (who was also an artist) to paint him, increasing unclothed the situation evolves into an outright attempt at sexual assault and how it ends up there is by the slow degrees of allowing somebody permission to do things you are only marginally comfortable with until, but my means of charm. flattery and a bit of bullying and not wanting to feel like an unsophisticated yokel, you find yourself suddenly out of your depth.

That's weird, that film is on right now where I live. I decided to record it watch later

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hardly. She quite simply didn't know. Which is fair enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

lol this looks bad for our Lou Lou

What a dumb supposition.

Edit: she later tweets a link to the article in question and states- 'I can’t stop thinking about this. It makes for harrowing reading, so TW etc.'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Looks worse on you tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And this Olaf chap has merely been the subject of allegations. He is not convicted of anything, and its not entirely clear he is even charged with anything at this point. Its a little too soon to be damning people by association with someone who is entitled to the presumption of innocence.

Sand wrote: »
    And this Olaf chap has merely been the subject of allegations. He is not convicted of anything, and its not entirely clear he is even charged with anything at this point. Its a little too soon to be damning people by association with someone who is entitled to the presumption of innocence.

Yes, that's what someone said to me when Jeremy Piven was accused, since then three more women have come forward. To me the end justifies the means.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Yes, that's what someone said to me when Jeremy Piven was accused, since then three more women have come forward. To me the end justifies the means.

So If I and 3 other people accused you of sexual assault, you would plead guilty?

Do the 3 other people have to be women, or can it be 3 men?

Sand wrote: »
    So If I and 3 other people accused you of sexual assault, you would plead guilty?

Do the 3 other people have to be women, or can it be 3 men?

It has to be 3 non-binary people from the outer rings of Saturn.

To me the end justifies the means.
    Rarely.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Are you seriously comparing what that moron Porter did to an animal who chased a young lady down a laneway and was only stopped from "completing" the assault when he was chased away by a passer by?

Whats that baldy cnunt up to these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

It has to be 3 non-binary people from the outer rings of Saturn.

But all we have out there are robotic modules...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

rusty cole wrote: »
    watched working with Weinstein last night and found one part disgusting.
    His PA at the time Zelda perkins knew he was a sex pest and whilst staying in venice, she left a new assistant with him alone for the trip, whilst warning him not to harass her and be on his best behavior!! So she felt this warranted a verbal warning owing to his past behavior and yet never warned the new girl.
    That night the new girl arrives at perkins hotel upset, shocked and crying and confides in perkins that Weinstein tried to rape her!!

So now!!! here's my issue..a crime has been allegedly committed and perkins decides the right thing to do is report him to Mirimax and get Lawyers involved!! But no police, she never called the Italian police to report this crime!! she had a duty of care to that young lady and she let her down..the girl may have never been the same...I think Perkins is an arse covering coward here on this occasion... out of court payout?? #metooplease it should by #mysilenceforsale

the documentary shows him for the dirt bag he is too.

Yeah, it shows how complicit many of those within his close circle were.
    They did nothing to hinder him, but also did little to help.

'Wear loose clothing', 'don't be alone with him' is not much of a help. Especially considering the decades of trauma inflicted on people. (The 'surprise' that he had raped women after trying to rape one of his employees made me want to scream).
    WHIP IT! wrote: »

Yes, yes I am. You may not like it, but that's what I'm doing.

Is there much of a difference, really? Look at the core of it. Both assaulted people, both used their 'privilege' and power to hide in plain sight. Both played the victim after the revelations were revealed.
    The difference is Porter kept getting away with, and still is-based on how his victims were male. And he was a serial assaulter, going back to his teens. He's been doing it for a long time.
    Lyons claimed his actions were down to a medical combination of drugs, Porter claimed his was down to his 'persona'.

And let's not forget Porter is still being investigated regarding the sexual assault of a psychiatric patient.
    Nobody came to his victims aid, in fact they had to hide from him.

And yet RTE are 'considering' working with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,507 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought he was gay :o

Nah, he was dating Julianne Hough for a long time, as well as Teri Hatcher (not at the same time).
    He gets the ladies, bizarrely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Its almost 5 months since all of this broke. And still no sign of Weinstein being arrested or even I believe questioned.

Have the UK police even sent someone over to interview him? What are US cops doing?

You'd wonder if the victims will ever see any justice in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Its almost 5 months since all of this broke. And still no sign of Weinstein being arrested or even I believe questioned.

Have the UK police even sent someone over to interview him? What are US cops doing?

I expect gathering hard evidence against him has proven quite difficult.

Added to that is the very real possibility that not all of the accusations are valid. There will very likely have been some of his accusers that have alleged assault against him when they willingly slept with him or engaged in some sort of sexual activity just to get a boost for their career.

I see Jennifer Lawrence all over the media at the moment slagging him off. Didn't she use her Oscar winning speech to give him huge credit for the victory and her successful career up to that point?

A lot of hypocrisy, lies and truth bending has gone on throughout the whole sorry saga. It's absolutely great that the cesspit that is Hollywood is finally being exposed and hopefully cleaned up but the job of the police would seem like a very difficult one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Why do you think justice hasn't been done so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Why do you think justice hasn't been done so far?

If person A raped person B in normal circumstances, a normal police force would immediately question the suspect as part of their enquiries.

I've seen no evidence so far Weinstein has been questioned by any police force unless you or anyone else can provide it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Added to that is the very real possibility that not all of the accusations are valid. There will very likely have been some of his accusers that have alleged assault against him when they willingly slept with him or engaged in some sort of sexual activity just to get a boost for their career.

I see Jennifer Lawrence all over the media at the moment slagging him off. Didn't she use her Oscar winning speech to give him huge credit for the victory and her successful career up to that point?

A lot of hypocrisy, lies and truth bending has gone on throughout the whole sorry saga. It's absolutely great that the cesspit that is Hollywood is finally being exposed and hopefully cleaned up but the job of the police would seem like a very difficult one.
    He attempted to use Lawrence and others as character witness for a lawsuit about a week ago. Seems pretty reasonable that she would be speaking negatively about him...

https://pagesix.com/2018/02/21/harveys-lawyers-not-all-women-hate-weinstein-ask-j-law-and-meryl/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

pitifulgod wrote: »

He attempted to use Lawrence and others as character witness for a lawsuit about a week ago. Seems pretty reasonable that she would be speaking negatively about him...

https://pagesix.com/2018/02/21/harveys-lawyers-not-all-women-hate-weinstein-ask-j-law-and-meryl/
    She found him plenty useful to further her career when it suited her. Had lots of nice things to say about him and never shied away from a photo op with him.

Now it just would not suit her seemingly now ailing career (now that Weinstein is gone) to not hammer him publicly.

The likes of her and Streep are chameleon-like survivalists who seem, to me anyway, to have done pretty well out of how Hollywood used to be run.

She found him plenty useful to further her career when it suited her. Had lots of nice things to say about him and never shied away from a photo op with him.

Now it just would not suit her seemingly now ailing career (now that Weinstein is gone) to not hammer him publicly.

The likes of her and Streep are chameleon-like survivalists who seem, to me anyway, to have done pretty well out of how Hollywood used to be run.

Meryl knew there is no evidence that Lawrence knew.

Meryl knew there is no evidence that Lawrence knew.

You'd only have to look at her career trajectory to be suspicious. She's the weakest thing (acting wise) in many films, including X-men. Then the 'one' time she works with Weinstein, she gets an Oscar? Hmmmm. (Another Hollywood 'mental illness is overcome by luv' crappy movie, and yes, I know she was nominated for an Oscar for Winters Bone, but the campaigning for Silver Linings Playbook was what won).
    There's even been discussion that the hacked photos intended for a so-called 'boyfriend' was sent to Harvey...and the leak was his way of controlling people.

Not related to J Law, but Gwynnie Paltrow also knew, more than likely. She even invited him to her home 5 months before the whole revelations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

You'd only have to look at her career trajectory to be suspicious. She's the weakest thing (acting wise) in many films, including X-men. Then the 'one' time she works with Weinstein, she gets an Oscar? Hmmmm. (Another Hollywood 'mental illness is overcome by luv' crappy movie, and yes, I know she was nominated for an Oscar for Winters Bone, but the campaigning for Silver Linings Playbook was what won).
    There's even been discussion that the hacked photos intended for a so-called 'boyfriend' was sent to Harvey...and the leak was his way of controlling people.

Not related to J Law, but Gwynnie Paltrow also knew, more than likely. She even invited him to her home 5 months before the whole revelations.

Some pretty unfair speculation tbh. Shifting to blaming various women. Thought both Silver Linings Playbook and Winter's Bone were pretty great in own right and many share that view. So there is definite acting talent.

Advertisement