Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Ten points from Gryffindor.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Whiskey, speed, and oral sex from a hot tv star...every teenage boys nightmare!

Mod-Banned

Niiiiice

I think it's funny how the like of de Niro can say he'd like to punch trump in the face but stays quiet when it comes to his chums. same for Streep and the likes, yes she smiles like a crocodile in the front row of the oscars frocked up like pig in knickers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Stone won an Oscar last year, was in the fantastic Battle of The Sexes at the end of last year. Pretty sure she's got more options than most actors.

Emma Stone probably expected to fair better at the Oscars for playing Billie Jean King in Battle of the Sexes, no nomination

I kinda glad Greta Gerwig didn't win best director for LadyBird

Mila Kunis even at 34 looks much younger, still Jackie from The 70s show :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Well, as soon as she was 30, she was cast as the witch in Oz: Great and powerful. That's pretty much a trope-women over 30 are cast as the witch, and not the good one.

Angelina Jolie was close to 30 when she was cast as Colin Farrells mom in Alexander-and he was 3 years younger. It's a sad hollywood trope, but it's true. Mila Kunis was an example, there's way more.

As far as I recall, Angelina Jolie’s casting in that role was scoffed at.

You painted it like that’s all that is available to actresses as soon as they turn 30 which is clearly ridiculous. It’s more when they hit the 40 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

pitifulgod wrote: »
    A fake tattoo that says Time's Up missing apostrophe, bit of an overreaction to it by some as demonstrated by Vladimir.

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a19135480/emma-watson-times-up-tattoo-typo-response-tweet/

Demonstrated by me how? A glib remark?

And you accuse me of overreacting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

rusty cole wrote: »
    I think it's funny how the like of de Niro can say he'd like to punch trump in the face but stays quiet when it comes to his chums. same for Streep and the likes, yes she smiles like a crocodile in the front row of the oscars frocked up like pig in knickers!!

He's also jumped on the 'vaccines cause autism' mental head case wagon, claims he wants to read a study that disproves it.

There are numerous studies that prove vaccines are safe, tell that to DeNiro.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Emma Stone probably expected to fair better at the Oscars for playing Billie Jean King in Battle of the Sexes, no nomination

I kinda glad Greta Gerwig didn't win best director for LadyBird

Mila Kunis even at 34 looks much younger, still Jackie from The 70s show :p

Holly Hunter played King better in a hbo movie, years ago, so Stone was up against it.

Gerwig was a pity vote-nobody wants to say that, but she only got a nomination because of bizarre accusations against him. So Gerwig filled a quota. She wasn't nominated at the Golden Globes.

Kunis only looks younger cos of makeup...without it, she looks older. That's what smoking does to ya.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/mila-kunis-without-make-up-1760403
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    As far as I recall, Angelina Jolie’s casting in that role was scoffed at.

You painted it like that’s all that is available to actresses as soon as they turn 30 which is clearly ridiculous. It’s more when they hit the 40 mark.

All the casting was scoffed at-as was the 'Macedonians with bad Irish accents' and Colin Farrell's casting, as well as his terrible hairstyle.

Emma Stone's next role is Cruella DeVille...a clear Witch analogy. Won't be long until the mom roles.
    Eva Green was 34, when playing Shailene Woodley's mom in White Bird in a Blizzard. Woodley was 23. One of the reasons Rachel Weisz didn't return for the third Mummy film was because the actor playing her 'son' was just over 10 years younger. Instead, another actress played the role.
    Weisz was in her mid thirties, barely 30 when she played the mum role in Mummy Returns, with a ten year old kid.

It's not 'all' the roles-but it's pretty much most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It's not 'all' the roles-but it's pretty much most.

It really, really isn't. At 30, a minority of the roles will be 'mother' ones.

You've given, what, five examples? It is very easy to match and then greatly exceed that with 30 somethings in decidedly non-maternal roles. Sure, look at Naomi Watts. She was north of 30 when her career took off. She's had some mother roles but many that weren't. And she's just one example.

Age is a factor for actresses but you've overestimated by about a decade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 The Commissar

Anyone think Weinstein might be connected to the Fappening scandal of a few years back?

Anyone think Weinstein might be connected to the Fappening scandal of a few years back?

Yes, I think a few of us said it before. It's why the 'J Law knew' posts sprung up-the story at the time was it was a high powered producer who released those images.

• Advertisement

He was obsessed with Michelle williams and just turned up on the set of my week with marilyn just to creep on her nude scene shooting day, he also pressure the director to shoot more nudity, it's in that weinstein doco!

If he'd an army of spies I think leaking nude selfies would be the least of what he's willing to do, such a dirtbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How come they didn’t all wear black to the Oscars? Have all the bad men gone now??

How come they didn’t all wear black to the Oscars? Have all the bad men gone now??

Ah no, sure Times Up on Times Up. When Kobe Bryant walked up there, there was nobody talking or shouting 'rapist'.
    And they all had to apologise to Ryan Seacrest.
    rusty cole wrote: »
    He was obsessed with Michelle williams and just turned up on the set of my week with marilyn just to creep on her nude scene shooting day, he also pressure the director to shoot more nudity, it's in that weinstein doco!

If he'd an army of spies I think leaking nude selfies would be the least of what he's willing to do, such a dirtbag.

Yeah, and was ticked off when it was a double, rather than actually Michelle, doing the nudity. The director told him 'no' when Weinstein made requests, leading to old Harvey getting violent.
    That was the last time they worked together.

Gary Oldman's son has written a piece defending his father of the allegations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5472513/Gary-Oldmans-son-Gulliver-defends-against-claims-abuse-ex.html

This quote is one that stands out.
    'Custody of children is not given to a wife beater, and under most circumstances, hardly ever a man. My having lived, full time with my father should be in itself, proof enough.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5472513/Gary-Oldmans-son-Gulliver-defends-against-claims-abuse-ex.html

That's really great to see, hopefully that's the end of it and no more column inches will be given to the matter. The Guardian in particular has disappointed me by publishing multiple opinion pieces critical of Oldman based on nothing. If it was up to them he would have gone the way as Franco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Apparently the NYPD are ready to arrest Weinstein...
    The NYPD is prepared to collar Harvey Weinstein for felony sexual assault, a police official with direct knowledge of the case told The Daily Beast.

“We’re ready to go with an arrest,” the official said yesterday afternoon.

The NYPD is awaiting only a nod from Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-nypd-is-ready-to-arrest-harvey-weinstein-will-district-attorney-cy-vance-finally-agree-to-let-them?source=twitter&via=desktop

A fourth woman, who has revoked her anonymity, has now accused Ed Westwick of rape.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5121859/Fourth-woman-claims-Ed-Westwick-raped-held-captive.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

A fourth woman, who has revoked her anonymity, has now accused Ed Westwick of rape.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5121859/Fourth-woman-claims-Ed-Westwick-raped-held-captive.html

But there is no proof, they are just fame hungry women looking for notoriety through rape claims!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Cyrus Vance? Did he not drop an investigation before around the time a donation was made to his office? Or was it another prosecutor?

If Weinstein was a poor black guy, he'd already be arrested, tried and given a jail term of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Cyrus Vance? Did he not drop an investigation before around the time a donation was made to his office? Or was it another prosecutor?

If Weinstein was a poor black guy, he'd already be arrested, tried and given a jail term of decades.

He has a net worth of between 200 and 300 million dollars. He could be an albino African in the country illegitimately but with that kind of wealth, the NYPD would have to ensure they crossed the Ts and dotted their Is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

Aged 20 and already a class act. It's interesting that these allegations come at a time when Oldman is being honoured and this news simply reeks of attention seeking by his ex-wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

valoren wrote: »
    Aged 20 and already a class act. It's interesting that these allegations come at a time when Oldman is being honoured and this news simply reeks of attention seeking by his ex-wife.

Yes! wicked woman trying to take all the glory and attention for herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So it looks like a few high status members of pro women movements in the US are fans of Louis Farrakhan, psycho bigot leader of space ship shabooboo, racist cult Nation of Islam.
    I'm sure they'll be dragged over the coals for this.

Have to wonder if the Irish Mirror is being paid to carry out a 'redemption' for Al Porter.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/2286616/shamed-comedian-al-porter-vows-that-hes-learned-his-lesson-after-fellow-comedian-says-hes-been-punished-enough/

Calling it 'experimentation' at 25 is similar to calling a rape a 'one off'.
    But in astonishing scenes, Savage Eye star Dave turned the spotlight on his pal, who was seated in a box above the stage while Porter was seen pleading that he had learned his lesson about his over-the-top behaviour.

McSavage told the crowd, “Al Porter is no Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey” and he has been punished and gone through “enough s***”.

The comic added: “We all have to explore our sexuality when we are young. How can we know a boundary until we’ve crossed it?”

He's not far off a Spacey, for sure. Both haven't apologised, and both are beyond deluded.

(Btw, the header Al Porter claiming 'he's learned his lesson'-he never said that, but to heck with facts, eh, dear journo?)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

That's truly vile. Apparently young men/teenagers who were the subject of alleged assaults shouldn't get a say in these "explorations" or "boundary crossings."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

twill wrote: »
    That's truly vile. Apparently young men/teenagers who were the subject of alleged assaults shouldn't get a say in these "explorations" or "boundary crossings."

I know a fair few male and female comedians who are pretty outraged at the efforts to draw Porter back into comedy circuit.

twill wrote: »

If he was a solicitor, defending a rapist, would he also use the 'ah sure you don't know the stove is hot until you burn yourself' defence?

Joe dot ie printed the same story, and is getting the same bashing on twitter. I see Als facebook is active too.

Even Kevin Spacey wouldn't be that brazen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

That's really great to see, hopefully that's the end of it and no more column inches will be given to the matter. The Guardian in particular has disappointed me by publishing multiple opinion pieces critical of Oldman based on nothing. If it was up to them he would have gone the way as Franco.

What people might not know is that Gary Oldman is red-pilled as F!£$ and one of the very few openly conservative actors in Hollywood. In an awards ceremony filled with 'you go girl!' virtue signalling he chose to use his Oscar speech to thank America for the opportunities he was given there. Thus Oldman is flat out evil in the eyes of Hollywood and the Guardian and fair game.

conorhal wrote: »
    What people might not know is that Gary Oldman is red-pilled as F!£$ and one of the very few openly conservative actors in Hollywood. In an awards ceremony filled with 'you go girl!' virtue signalling he chose to use his Oscar speech to thank America for the opportunities he was given there. Thus Oldman is flat out evil in the eyes of Hollywood and the Guardian and fair game.

The Oscar's had it's worst audience in decades, and no amount of virtue signalling could fix that.
    Yeah, Oldman has strong opinions on things, and it's hard to disagree with him at times. Not hard at others.
    I think this won't be the end of things. When he apologised for his comment on powerful Jewish men, the media still got ticked off. They even resurfaced it again in light of the domestic allegations.

Well, in light of the abuses committed by Weinstein, et al, maybe he was discussing the abuses they committed in a none too tactful manner. And when I say 'they' I mean Weinsteins, not the Jewish people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Lucky for Bill Cosby he's not poor then.

Advertisement