Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Have to wonder if the Irish Mirror is being paid to carry out a 'redemption' for Al Porter.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/2286616/shamed-comedian-al-porter-vows-that-hes-learned-his-lesson-after-fellow-comedian-says-hes-been-punished-enough/

Calling it 'experimentation' at 25 is similar to calling a rape a 'one off'.

He's not far off a Spacey, for sure. Both haven't apologised, and both are beyond deluded.

(Btw, the header Al Porter claiming 'he's learned his lesson'-he never said that, but to heck with facts, eh, dear journo?)

Wonder if that creep Mcsavage has any secrets of his own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It really is inexcusable behaviour from McSavage. I wonder if he'd dare if Porter was going after girls. Then again looking at Liam Neeson defending that radio host perhaps he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

strandroad wrote: »
    It really is inexcusable behaviour from McSavage. I wonder if he'd dare if Porter was going after girls. Then again looking at Liam Neeson defending that radio host perhaps he would.

Liam Neeson didn't charge people to go to his show, then defend Kevin Spacey while Kev was in the audience.
    Neeson put his foot in it, but he didnt defend Weinstein or Spacey. By his own admission he's not a public speaker. Acting he can do, public speaking without acting a part he can't.
    McSavage is a seasoned speaker. So he knew what he was on about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Have to wonder if the Irish Mirror is being paid to carry out a 'redemption' for Al Porter.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/2286616/shamed-comedian-al-porter-vows-that-hes-learned-his-lesson-after-fellow-comedian-says-hes-been-punished-enough/

Calling it 'experimentation' at 25 is similar to calling a rape a 'one off'.

He's not far off a Spacey, for sure. Both haven't apologised, and both are beyond deluded.

(Btw, the header Al Porter claiming 'he's learned his lesson'-he never said that, but to heck with facts, eh, dear journo?)

Except Al Porter did not RAPE anyone.

Jaysus, I can't stand Porter but people are getting so carried away here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

pilly wrote: »
    people are getting so carried away here.

Agreed. What the left have tried to do in recent months is effectively 'level out' all inappropriate sexual behavior. For example, the left these days will suggest that the behavior of a man wolf whistling at a woman on the street is equal, and just as serious as the crime of a man raping a woman. Their is a wide spectrum of deviant behavior, some offences worse than others, and they should be treated accordingly.

• Advertisement

Agreed. What the left have tried to do in recent months is effectively 'level out' all inappropriate sexual behavior. For example, the left these days will suggest that the behavior of a man wolf whistling at a woman on the street is equal, and just as serious as the crime of a man raping a woman. Their is a wide spectrum of deviant behavior, some offences worse than others, and they should be treated accordingly.

It actually demeans victims of genuinely violent assaults to lump them in with much more minor incidents.

Except Al Porter did not RAPE anyone.

Jaysus, I can't stand Porter but people are getting so carried away here.

He inserted his finger, without consent, into guys rectums, and fondled their genitals inside their clothes. He did more than that theatre director, but is defended as 'making a mistake'.

Meanwhile, the theatre guy was condemned on Claire Byrne, Tonight show, and in news media. Because his victims are female.
    The 'rape as a one off' was referring to a case a number of years ago where the judge said similar words, and allowed an admitted rapist walk free from court on a suspended sentence.

Hence the comparison.

He inserted his finger, without consent, into guys rectums, and fondled their genitals inside their clothes. He did more than that theatre director, but is defended as 'making a mistake'.

Meanwhile, the theatre guy was condemned on Claire Byrne, Tonight show, and in news media. Because his victims are female.
    The 'rape as a one off' was referring to a case a number of years ago where the judge said similar words, and allowed an admitted rapist walk free from court on a suspended sentence.

Hence the comparison.

Where is your proof that he did those exact acts? I don't remember that being proven?

Where is your proof that he did those exact acts? I don't remember that being proven?

So you're saying Harvey Weinstein is also innocent? Or Kevin Spacey? No proof on them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

That's really great to see, hopefully that's the end of it and no more column inches will be given to the matter. The Guardian in particular has disappointed me by publishing multiple opinion pieces critical of Oldman based on nothing. If it was up to them he would have gone the way as Franco.
    I don't know what The Guardian has posted on Oldman but this is the man that defended that POS snake Gibson by claiming we've  all said racist/anti-Semitic things so anyone who is offended is a hypocrite. 
    Typical old man thinking: I'm racist, therefore everyone else is too therefore anyone who objects is a hypocrite. 
    Oldman is a douchebag and its fun to see him getting raked over the coals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

That's really great to see, hopefully that's the end of it and no more column inches will be given to the matter. The Guardian in particular has disappointed me by publishing multiple opinion pieces critical of Oldman based on nothing. If it was up to them he would have gone the way as Franco.
    I don't know what The Guardian has posted on Oldman but this is the man that defended that POS snake Gibson by claiming we've  all said racist/anti-Semitic things so anyone who is offended is a hypocrite. 
    Typical old man thinking: I'm racist, therefore everyone else is too therefore anyone who objects is a hypocrite. 

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

NI24 wrote: »

Even though he didn't actually do anything

'Typical old man thinking?' Dude, are you being ageist and misandrist right now? Come on. Stephen Hawking was an old man too (RIP) but his thinking was far greater as his time went on than yours or mine is now. Don't be an ageist jerk.

Secondly, as Oldman's son said, he didn't do anything. He wouldn't defend an abuser. Gary has said dumb things, but actors are generally dumb and hypocritical, people write their lines to make them look smart.

He's being accused of crimes he didn't commit, by someone with a probable vendetta who people can see through.

Anyways, Brendan O'Connor is trying to defend Al Porter with his 'written off at 24' spiel, defends Hook too (but Hooks comments were words, and a fictional part of a book he wrote that people tried to use to defame him-not in the same league of Al's).
    People have had careers ruined at much younger ages than 24, for much less. Lindsay Lohan was 21 and unemployable due to erratic behaviour. Megan Fox at 22/23 was fired by Spielberg and Michael Bay for comparing the latter to Hitler. And lets not forget Elizabeth Berkley, doomed to career anonymity after Showgirls, and she was also 22/23. (I see Shia Laboeuf going the way of anonymity after his several arrests, his recent on involved racism-so...career caput).

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/2304442/cutting-edge-brendan-o-connor-love-al-porter-george-hook-on-show-again/

Al should be delighted he got away with his terrible comedy for so long-but his assaults are not in the least dependable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

You darn kids with your pop music and your permissive society. I suppose you think you're "groovy" and "with it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Hate when people are reductive on these threads and compare crimes or say **** like 'if the genders were reversed' stfu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

He is a fcukwit, no arguing there.....but fcukwits can come at all ages and regardless of where they fall on the gender spectrum.

Here is one such article, I'll try to find more as others weren't completely dedicated to Oldman but this one more or less was, calling out the hypocrisy of Hollwood for not condemning the likes of him and Kobe Bryant.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/09/me-too-movement-hollywood-awards-gary-oldman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

He is a fcukwit, no arguing there.....but fcukwits can come at all ages and regardless of where they fall on the gender spectrum.

Here is one such article, I'll try to find more as others weren't completely dedicated to Oldman but this one more or less was, calling out the hypocrisy of Hollwood for not condemning the likes of him and Kobe Bryant.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/09/me-too-movement-hollywood-awards-gary-oldman

That article is pretty annoying, especially about the cancellation of female led shows - it seems we'll no longer be able to say that a show was cancelled because it didn't find its audience and get the viewerships figures needed, now it will be because the studio heads who finance the shows in the hope of profiteering from them and the people watching programmes looking for something interesting are all sexist…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bought Rose's book on Amazon and it arrived today.

Just had to read the whole recounting of her first meeting of Harvey, the aftermath with Affleck, and then how she engaged with both in the forthcoming years. Be interested in reading about the cult years too. Assuming she goes into all that of course.

Will post back with a review in 12 months (I'm a slow reader :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That article is pretty annoying, especially about the cancellation of female led shows - it seems we'll no longer be able to say that a show was cancelled because it didn't find its audience and get the viewerships figures needed, now it will be because the studio heads who finance the shows in the hope of profiteering from them and the people watching programmes looking for something interesting are all sexist…

The Guardian is in a death spiral and this kind of trash is their attempt to keep their heads above water while clinging onto the belief that they can go full retard and still survive

"but some say" *insert wild accusation that journa can't back up" always a classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bambi wrote: »
    The Guardian is in a death spiral and this kind of trash is their attempt to keep their heads above water while clinging onto the belief that they can go full retard and still survive

"but some say" *insert wild accusation that journa can't back up" always a classic :D

The actual journalism in the Guardian can be fantastic - I love 'The Long Read' articles that they do which are usually a fascinating dissection of a topic - it's the Op Ed pieces that are almost always fúcking awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Bambi wrote: »

The actual journalism in the Guardian can be fantastic - I love 'The Long Read' articles that they do which are usually a fascinating dissection of a topic - it's the Op Ed pieces that are almost always fúcking awful.

Agreed. Much of the Guardian's content is really high quality and interesting. It's not going anywhere. A few clickbaity writers on the payroll won't sink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Nope, Jimmy Kimmel had George Takei on his show the other night-one alleged sexual assaulter mocking another alleged sexual assaulter.

http://time.com/5199137/jimmy-kimmel-rex-tillerson-plates-george-takei/

It goes to show how quickly these 'movements' are dying. It's either one for all, all for one. Personally, one could argue that the Katy Perry incident is scumbaggy, but then again, when Steve Tyler was on the show, his comments, notably those he made towards teenage girls, were sorta celebrated with a 'that's our Steve'.
    It's kind of hilarious, how Perry was acting all 'woke' and is now accused of assault...
    Shows how 'feminists' who demand equality, don't like it when they're treated equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think lumping what Katy Perry did in with all this is nonsense tbh.

It's a kiss on the lips, are we really that precious now.

I'd feel the same the other way too and yeah, for sure, a bigger deal would be made had it been a guy with a girl, but let's not bring ourselves down to their level just because we know certain circles would be up in arms if the sexes were reversed.

I'd feel the same the other way too and yeah, for sure, a bigger deal would be made had it been a guy with a girl, but let's not bring ourselves down to their level just because we know certain circles would be up in arms if the sexes were reversed.

Weren't some women complaining about similar things, forced kissing, etc. from actors?
    Hell, they absolutely went insane when Catherine Deneuve defended 'men's right to steal a kiss'. Now Perry has done the exact thing they condemned DeNeuve for saying.

https://www.wikitribune.com/story/2018/01/10/gender/anti-metoo-letter-defends-mens-right-to-steal-a-kiss/34618/

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/terry-gilliam-metoo-mob-rule-1202728819/

Terry Gilliam is calling 'Metoo' a 'Mob rule' mentality. While folks are doing the 'this is the end of Gilliams career' stuff, what they failed to pay attention to is this quote.
    Despite describing the #MeToo movement as “simplistic” and “silly,” he still said Weinstein was “a monster” and warned there were still other people in the industry behaving like him. “I don’t think Hollywood will change, power always takes advantage — it always does and always has,” Gilliam said.

And now the president of the Oscars academy is accused of harassment.

http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/john-bailey-sexual-harassment-academy-president-1202728864/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

That is fair. What she did was indeed tame.

However it is also fair to compare the episode to some of the other '#metoo' scutter that has been bandied about.

RabbleRouser2k's posts are just great in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Weren't some women complaining about similar things, forced kissing, etc. from actors?
    Hell, they absolutely went insane when Catherine Deneuve defended 'men's right to steal a kiss'. Now Perry has done the exact thing they condemned DeNeuve for saying.

https://www.wikitribune.com/story/2018/01/10/gender/anti-metoo-letter-defends-mens-right-to-steal-a-kiss/34618/

Yup, it was me earlier in the thread who didn't have a lot of time for Deneuve's outdated musings, and this Katy Perry incident I would see in similar light; the man obviously felt uncomfortable at her intrusion into his space and his face, and I feel for him. She shouldn't have done it, it is inconsiderate, classless and wrong, and it would be great if she at least learned something from the incident. I don't condone her "stealing a kiss" from him any more than I would if the genders were reversed - no way.

Who the heck lays their hands or their lips on other people without having the werewithal of following some basic social cues - such as don't do it to a stranger or to someone you really can't be sure if they are going to like it at all? The depressing answer to that seems to, unfortunately, be - quite a lot of people.

That is fair. What she did was indeed tame.

However it is also fair to compare the episode to some of the other '#metoo' scutter that has been bandied about.

RabbleRouser2k's posts are just great in this thread.

*tips fedora* :)

You'd think she'd keep her head down, it's the same week she was accused of accidentally killing a nun. (Yes, I'm exaggerating for a dark joke).

There's been a great deal of 'this guy is evil...but excuse this guy/ gal'. If you look at how the Aziz Anzari 'defenders' tried to pull the 'it's not the same' when it was far worse than others were accused of, many of whom suffered severe punishments such as firings or advertising deals pulled.
    seenitall wrote: »
    Yup, it was me earlier in the thread who didn't have a lot of time for Deneuve's outdated musings, and this Katy Perry incident I would see in similar light; the man obviously felt uncomfortable at her intrusion into his space and his face, and I feel for him. She shouldn't have done it, it is inconsiderate, classless and wrong, and it would be great if she at least learned something from the incident. I don't condone her "stealing a kiss" from him any more than I would if the genders were reversed - no way.

Who the heck lays their hands or their lips on other people without having the werewithal of following some basic social cues - such as don't do it to a stranger or to someone you really can't be sure if they are going to like it at all? The depressing answer to that seems to, unfortunately, be - quite a lot of people.

Yeah, that's what bothers me. As well as the 'peck on cheek' where she intentionally lured him in.
    Also, some of those condemning him for saying it was a non-consensual encounter are saying he's only complaining because he didn't get through to the next round on American Idol.
    That's like saying many of the 'metoo' folks who were groped are only complaining because they never won an Oscar.

• Advertisement

Well, Ellen Barkin has now made an accusation against Terry Gilliam.

https://twitter.com/EllenBarkin/status/975133466235777024

Advertisement