Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I remember reading this years ago and read between the lines that it was cultural difference.... He went out on the lock came home she tore the head off him drinking a door slammed a nose hurt...

Aye, the rumblings about Fassbender seem flimsy enough. I hope there isn’t a witch hunt when there is so little to go on.

I remember reading this years ago and read between the lines that it was cultural difference.... He went out on the lock came home she tore the head off him drinking a door slammed a nose hurt...

Ah, cultural differences, when you drag your partner alongside your car or when you push her over a chair breaking their nose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Jesus H Christ, it's getting worse when 8 year old articles are being dragged up. There's obviously nothing relevant for people to rant about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Scott Baio is accused of molesting another co-star, Alexander Polinsky.

[URL="http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/scott-baio-accuser-alexander-polinksy-charles-in-charge-
    1202697933/"]http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/scott-baio-accuser-alexander-polinksy-charles-in-charge-1202697933/[/URL]

He would have been about 12 or 13 at the time. This is in addition to claims of mental and physical abuse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,592 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How to Get Away with Murder actress Karla Souza raped by a director in Mexico

Source EW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

There was a Weinstein docu on Channel 4 last night. You can watch it on 4OD.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/working-with-weinstein/on-demand/67616-001

There was a Weinstein docu on Channel 4 last night. You can watch it on 4OD.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/working-with-weinstein/on-demand/67616-001

It's repeated Thursday night/ Friday morning at midnight.

Did anyone see Ireland AM after the Baftas? Ciara O'Doherty and the film critics were commenting on the awards, the speeches, and the TimesUp movement, and she was showing why she's a superior presenter to Sinead Desmond.

In short, she's had it with 'Times Up'. Her reason being that the whole thing has no action, it's all words.
    Especially the 'bullying'-notably how they, the Hollywood folks, went after Kate Middleton for wearing Green instead of the pre-ordained and demanded black. (Francis McDormand wore pink, but said she was in solidarity. Uuf).

watched working with Weinstein last night and found one part disgusting.
    His PA at the time Zelda perkins knew he was a sex pest and whilst staying in venice, she left a new assistant with him alone for the trip, whilst warning him not to harass her and be on his best behavior!! So she felt this warranted a verbal warning owing to his past behavior and yet never warned the new girl.
    That night the new girl arrives at perkins hotel upset, shocked and crying and confides in perkins that Weinstein tried to rape her!!

So now!!! here's my issue..a crime has been allegedly committed and perkins decides the right thing to do is report him to Mirimax and get Lawyers involved!! But no police, she never called the Italian police to report this crime!! she had a duty of care to that young lady and she let her down..the girl may have never been the same...I think Perkins is an arse covering coward here on this occasion... out of court payout?? #metooplease it should by #mysilenceforsale

the documentary shows him for the dirt bag he is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In short, she's had it with 'Times Up'. Her reason being that the whole thing has no action, it's all words.
    Especially the 'bullying'-notably how they, the Hollywood folks, went after Kate Middleton for wearing Green instead of the pre-ordained and demanded black. (Francis McDormand wore pink, but said she was in solidarity. Uuf).

What Hollywood folks went after Kate Middleton? From what I saw it was only people on social media and the media themselves.

Penn wrote: »
    What Hollywood folks went after Kate Middleton? From what I saw it was only people on social media and the media themselves.

Allison Janney defended her after being asked, on the red carpet, about it. I guarantee there were 'comments' made at the Baftas-Mcdormand being defensive about wearing pink highlighted that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They have no understanding that the Royal family have to steer clear of making political statements. They aren't even allowed to vote and have to follow a long list of strict protocol set by the monarch and courtiers.

They can get involved in humanitarian issues with the prior approval of the queen) and therefore shine the spotlight on them - such as Diana did with HIV victims or landmines back in the day. So for the Duchess to support the movement within the confines of her role, she would need to do it in an oblique way, such as become a patron for a charity supporting victims for example.

Natalie Portman trying to 'wriggle' her way out of signing the Polanksi document.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5416925/Natalie-Portman-I-regret-voicing-support-Roman-Polanski.html

Still manages to put her foot in it at the end.

Allison Janney defended her after being asked, on the red carpet, about it. I guarantee there were 'comments' made at the Baftas-Mcdormand being defensive about wearing pink highlighted that.

Right, so the Hollywood folk didn't go after Kate Middleton then. Fair enough.

Right, so the Hollywood folk didn't go after Kate Middleton then. Fair enough.

Define Hollywood folk?

Define Hollywood folk?

Well that was the term you used. I took it to mean big-name celebrities, actresses etc, and in particular those involved with the Times Up movement given your preceding sentence.

if you watched it last night, was it just me or was it strange how his assistant went from being confused that massages were totally normal..to being naked in his shower??? whilst he's ****??? she really put the personal in PA!!! Did he have this retractor beam that rendered women silent and unable to move WTF !!! "I think" all my clothes came off??? Ya think?? well you ended up in the shower with him love so I think they did!! smacks of someone who did something shamefull in order to get a job and now she's feeling bad about it and playing the victim.

"I ended up being given a massage by him. He took my top off and he started massaging me. I think all my clothes ended up coming off, and he was wearing a robe and masturbating.
    ‘There were constant new requests. I remember going into the shower with him and at that point remember feeling completely out of my depth and horrified and crying and I think he was a bit exasperated and said “Okay, okay, I’ll leave you to it”.

also her boss at the time, when contacted felt in retrospect..she let her down yes. they were all out for themselves and nobody would upset the golden goose and meal ticket!!! it inevitably happened anyway because Weinstein blanked them and moved on to more assistants etc. you see all the assistants in London offices with photos of themselves with Paltrow and sam Jackson etc at parties, so maybe they loved the attention of the industry and it was a price they were willing to pay or his was their burden to carry and share!! But you can see where some women let others in the lions den as long as it wasn't them and now it's all lets hold hands and wear a times up badge!! on every occasion it should have been, CALL the local cops!!! let the mud stick and he'd have never gone as far as he did. that silence and enabling allowed Saville to prosper and that football scout to ruin lives !! what's it they say about evil, there's two kinds, those who commit evil deeds and those who stand buy and allow it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,592 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/22/brendan-fraser-former-golden-globes-president-sexual-assault/

Brendan Fraser assaulted by Hollywood Foreign Press Association former president Philip Berk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/22/brendan-fraser-former-golden-globes-president-sexual-assault/

Brendan Fraser assaulted by Hollywood Foreign Press Association former president Philip Berk

Fraser's a big man, in his thirties at the time and a pretty famous star. Would he not just have thumped this guy?
    I know you can be caught off guard by such an act. But as a fella, would you not just instinctively punch him.

And I know of the Terry Crews incidents ( which on the surface seem similar), but he was afraid for his career. I couldn't see Fraser being in as much fear for his career.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I couldn't see Fraser being in as much fear for his career.

That's completely wrong. Of course he would have feared for his career. Unless your an A List worldwide household name, then you are easily forgotten. Hence, the fear is always there that one misstep will result in you ending up a hasbeen. How do you think these guys got away with it for so long? That is a massive amount of leverage to hold over people, especially when these bigwigs are so powerful they will not have to account for their actions (until now that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Fraser's a big man, in his thirties at the time and a pretty famous star. Would he not just have thumped this guy?
    I know you can be caught off guard by such an act. But as a fella, would you not just instinctively punch him.

And I know of the Terry Crews incidents ( which on the surface seem similar), but he was afraid for his career. I couldn't see Fraser being in as much fear for his career.

Fraser is a renowned gentle man. Just because he worked out at the gym for his career does not mean he is in any way aggressive.

And is so common in these instances, why the hell are putting some blame on Fraser for not defending himself? Philip Berk is a massive name in Hollywood and, at the time, absolutely had the ability to severely damage someones career.

The people in suits in the background have far far more power in Hollywood than any celebrity.

• Advertisement

There are plenty who would characterise doing that as gay bashing.
    And again, no-one knows how they will react even if it happens multiple times. I've been propositioned by lads a stupid number of times and just brushed it off, no biggie. If one of them had grabbed at me instead I don't know if I would've moved off, frozen or beat them to a pulp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It really is no wonder men don't report sexual assaults and rapes.

Is it any wonder that sexual assaults on men are not reported more. This idea that if it happens to a man then he would defend himself and if he didn't then well maybe it's a lie. I've always liked Fraser, he is immensely charismatic and his honesty was always refreshing, he's one of the few stars who admits that he only does "arty" films in between big blockbusters which is what are what he loves. Something clearly happened to Fraser's career, he went from huge start to nothing bit parts in cable shows.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Accusations made against Hot Press journalist Olaf Tyaransen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭LostYourNerve?

ya I heard that.

Those are very graphic, the image of her after is hard to look at. She went to Guards but as she passed away subsequently there is nothing that the Guards can do. Be interesting to see if any more women come forward.

Director fired over Karla Souza's rape accusation. The thing is, he's not the accused. She never even named her rapist

This seems wildky unfair to me. He's even asked her to help clear his name, as they were in a relationship, consensual, for 2 yrs.

http://people.com/chica/televisa-fires-director-gustavo-loza-after-karla-souza-rape-allegation/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Those are very graphic, the image of her after is hard to look at. She went to Guards but as she passed away subsequently there is nothing that the Guards can do. Be interesting to see if any more women come forward.
    I know this will sound terrible, but I almost hope that there were other victims. Yeah, I know, but I say that because if there weren't, or they won't/can't come forward for whatever reason and this alleged crime happened - and I've no good personal reason to doubt it on the face of all that has come out(told friends at the time, pictorial evidence, made a full statement to the Gardai) - then with no witnesses and no court case no justice will be served.
    Director fired over Karla Souza's rape accusation. The thing is, he's not the accused. She never even named her rapist

This seems wildky unfair to me. He's even asked her to help clear his name, as they were in a relationship, consensual, for 2 yrs.
    That the production house terminated his contract with such rapidity and so completely suggests that while nothing has come out officially, people within the business feel enough internal evidence has come to light. Now it could well be the same production house acting in a knee jerk fashion and if they are and the guy in question can show that and his innocence... Then again if he is innocent, that could be an uphill struggle in the current environment.

While the #metoo movement has most certainly exposed the seedy, horrific and criminal underbelly of men and women being sexually exploited by some of those vile bastards in power and by god did it need exposing and not just in the entertainment industry, but by its very nature of the court of public opinion it is sadly inevitable that innocent individuals will be caught up in its wake. I'm not saying this guy is one, but there will be some.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Is it any wonder that sexual assaults on men are not reported more. This idea that if it happens to a man then he would defend himself and if he didn't then well maybe it's a lie. I've always liked Fraser, he is immensely charismatic and his honesty was always refreshing, he's one of the few stars who admits that he only does "arty" films in between big blockbusters which is what are what he loves. Something clearly happened to Fraser's career, he went from huge start to nothing bit parts in cable shows.

Where did I say it was a lie?
    I'm certainly not victim blaming and would have huge sympathy for any victim of sexual assault, regardless of sex, gender or sexual orientation.
    It was just this instance I found puzzling. Certainly wouldn't question Frasers honesty or integrity. But in 2003 he was a fairly big star. Had a couple of blockbusters under his belt and his career was on an upwards trajectory. I couldn't fathom him taking that abuse from anyone. It's disgusting that it happened and upsetting how it affected him. I just find it baffling regardless of who the offender is.
    I'm a laid back person and wouldn't be a threat to anyone, but I wouldn't let that sort of abuse pass. If not all a physical response, I'd certainly be reporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What’s that now? Can’t find much detail about the accusations. People aren’t giving much away in articles. Maybe for legal reasons?

Advertisement