Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 1x03 – "Context is for Kings" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Greyjoy wrote: »
    It came across as a jarring scene to me. They could have sold it better by having the Klingon display some semblance of fear after all the creature has torn apart the other klingons. Instead the Klingon calmly walks out of the shadows and loudly 'shushes' the boarding party. For a moment I thought the klingon survivor was somehow mocking the Discovery crew.

No more jarring than all the slobbery, microbe-passing tonguing that happens through Trek history.

I do get what you're saying, it was a very random moment bordering on jarring, but intentionally written as a disarmingly funny one; given the context of all the interspecies boning I think it can be forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It came across as a jarring scene to me. They could have sold it better by having the Klingon display some semblance of fear after all the creature has torn apart the other klingons. Instead the Klingon calmly walks out of the shadows and loudly 'shushes' the boarding party. For a moment I thought the klingon survivor was somehow mocking the Discovery crew.

Klingons don't show fear.

A Klingon showing fear is far less believable than a shushing motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Question:

Was the 'kitty' in Lorca's posession at the end the one from the Glenn (transported over before they blew it up) or did the Discovery have one of its own? Or do we not know?

Thx

meep wrote: »
    Question:

Was the 'kitty' in Lorca's posession at the end the one from the Glenn (transported over before they blew it up) or did the Discovery have one of its own? Or do we not know?

Thx

My assumption is that it's the one from the Glenn. The Captain thanked the other officer for beaming it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sonics2k wrote: »

That was the problem I had with the scene; I thought he was showing too much fear. Hiding, slowly revealing himself to the armed Starfleet crew without a fight, then shushing them.

Not exactly the actions of a warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

pixelburp wrote: »
    No more jarring than all the slobbery, microbe-passing tonguing that happens through Trek history.

I do get what you're saying, it was a very random moment bordering on jarring, but intentionally written as a disarmingly funny one; given the context of all the interspecies boning I think it can be forgiven.
    To be fair, as dumb as it is, a lot of species in the galaxy have a single common kind of ancestor.

Evade wrote: »
    To be fair, as dumb as it is, a lot of species in the galaxy have a single common kind of ancestor.

Yep.

380?cb=20140915211801&path-prefix=en

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_humanoid

Goodshape wrote: »

Never copped that was Female Changeling

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Sonics2k wrote: »

Having a Klingon show fear would have been a very easy way of telling the audience and the boarding party that something very dangerous was aboard the Glenn.

Having a Klingon show fear would have been a very easy way of telling the audience and the boarding party that something very dangerous was aboard the Glenn.

... and not the mutilated bodies everywhere ...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

... and not the mutilated bodies everywhere ...?

The crew of the Glenn were killed in the test of the experimental drive. Until the survivor appears (and the monster shortly after) there nothing about the dead klingons that suggests there's something else aboard the ship with them. I assumed they were killed trying to capture the Glenn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I loved that when the ship came out of Black Alert, the stars behind Michael were different (not that they would be different in real life if you simply moved 300 km, but the ship's orientation may have been different).

I've watched this episode three times and there is SO much to catch. You can see the love that has gone into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Spock keeping his family life private makes complete sense and it enabled the writers to retcon in his half brother Sybok. But Burnham is a different matter from Sybok - she would be infamous in Starfleet circles as both a mutineer & instrumental in the outbreak of the Klingon war. It's much harder to accept that this would never have come up in conversation between Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

But from a character perspective I think it weakens Spock's character. Part of his character background is how he struggled with human emotions both his own and in understanding others. Having a human sibling would have exposed Spock to human emotions all throughout his childhood.

I'd disagree, it's even more likely that he didn't speak about here and we do not know Burnham's eventual path up to the time of ToS and beyond.

Regardless,I'm certain there will be a good explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I just see it as universally translated. He totally did something else but the translator translated it ( including hand gestures).

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Inviere

Enjoyed the episode a lot. You could pick it apart for days with the various issues that arose, but the reality is, once you free yourself of the notion that it's set in the Prime Universe, and is in fact far closer to the JJ-verse, it's all good. Really looking forward to the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Im just happy that Trek is back on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,677 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Im just happy that Trek is back on tv.

Its not back on TV do and Star Trek is not either. I think the Star Trek in front of Discovery should be dropped. I seen an advertisement for it recently and the Discovery does not look like it fly's in space but instead it just drops into where it wants to go looks terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Its not back on TV do and Star Trek is not either. I think the Star Trek in front of Discovery should be dropped. I seen an advertisement for it recently and the Discovery does not look like it fly's in space but instead it just drops into where it wants to go looks terrible.

Nope, it's Trek.

Have you actually watched it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,677 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nope, it's Trek.

Well its still not on TV so I will just have to wait till then to decide.
    Have you actually watched it?

No because it is not yet on TV. When it comes to TV I will watch it until then I will enjoy watching Star Trek as envisioned by the legend himself Gene Roddenberry.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

No because it is not yet on TV. When it comes to TV I will watch it until then I will enjoy watching Star Trek as envisioned by the legend himself Gene Roddenberry.

But you're already passing judgement and saying that it's not Trek when you've never actually seen it. This, in itself, is flawed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait, you haven't even watched the show but you're reading & posting in the Episode 3 thread? And declaring what is or isn't Star Trek? That seems a little ... unwise, and a little foolish. Go watch the show, then come back and make declarations about what constitutes Trek :)

As for waiting for it to be 'on TV', You might be waiting a while TBH, given Netflix has what I believe to be an exclusive deal on the international rights for this show. I'd be surprised if it pops up on Sky. If you don't have a Netflix account, DVD release might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did they rescue the prison transport pilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Negatives:

Does it even need to be said? Spock's foster sister?! I'm not even getting into it.

Turn. On. The lights. TURN ON THE LIGHTS! That they actually invented a condition for a character to have to excuse the "film in the dark for atmosphere" stuff is unbelievable. That most modern TV shows are shot in the dark is especially annoying considering how many people watch (as I am this) on a computer screen where very dark scenes are hard to see.

Burnham's roommate is, so far, the most annoying character of any Trek show. She's teeth-grindingly awful.

It's dumb, but I miss the old uniform designation colours! I don't know who's what at first glance anymore, though the uniforms in general are very cool.

Positives:

Saru continues to be great. It's hilarious to me that I thought his whole concept was going to be one of the weak points of the show, and so far he's been a highlight. We haven't seen too many characters of this stripe in Trek before, so it's fun to see one now. Stamets and Captain Fortune Cookie are also pretty engaging, as is as the Chief of Security whose name escapes me. Looking forward to seeing more of all of these.

As predicted, Burnham has grown on me. The stunt with the creature —What was that thing? Please don't tell me this is a targ now!— endeared her to me, as does her superhuman tolerance of her roommate, who I would probably have smothered to death in the first night. I enjoyed her outsmarting the security protocol, and her speech to Lorca was pretty great, too.

They did well with building excitement about the "project". From pretty early on, I wanted to know more. They're a bit constrained by the timeline, though; presumably this fails miserably, otherwise we'd have seen this technology in the future?

I liked this episode a lot more than the two previous ones— it felt a lot more like "real Trek" than the pilot. A little darker, yeah, mainly because Lorca seems as shady as a midsummer's evening, but it makes sense for the setting of the show. (The... Context, I suppose. :pac:) Overall, much more Trek-y than the pilot. Maybe they realized after shooting it that people wanted something different to the JJ Trek stuff? They could easily have dumped the first two episodes and opened with this one. More like this in future, please...!

Addressing the points, without spoiling anything (or at least trying hard).

Burnham's roommate: In fairness, when Dr. Bashir was introduced first in Deep Space 9, he was nothing more than a sex pest -- extremely arrogant, and one of the worst characters I had seen in a Trek franchise. And then the character (and the actor) started to grow naturally to become one of the best of any Trek franchise. This is the same for many other characters - Harry Kim from Voyager, who was so meek to the point of being irritating, before his character grew, and I'm sure there's many other instances.

Point I'm making is that (at this point), you're only 3 episodes in - it's early days to pass judgements yet. She might be one of the best characters in the Trek franchise too! (not saying Harry Kim was -- he definitely definitely wasn't, but he got better.).

With regards to the uniform-- I don't know if this is a spoiler, but I believe it was mentioned at some point that there's a difference between Star Fleet and the Federation. I'm not sure. But would explain the difference in uniforms. Plus we're hundred something years before the likes of TNG/Voyager/Deep Space 9, where the uniforms we know and love became standard. I'd say they're closer to Enterprise-era uniforms.

Tilly is easily the MOST regular Trek thing about the show.

Full of optimism, naive, bubbly and saccharine (just like root beer) yet she's a hate point for a lot of the "it's not trek" crew

I like her, you know that she'll get more reserved as she develops which is kinda a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

Tilly is STD's Wesley.

Tilly is DSC's heart.

Hey, leave Tilly alone, she's great!

But, I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what to make of her from that initial appearance; the script really leaned into the fashionable trope of the genius with no social skills or conversational filter. Subsequent episodes haven't borne that out, softening those quick-sketch edges, and Tilly as mentioned stands as the obvious Federation benchmark human; hugely empathetic / compassionate, with an obviously strong scientific and exploratory itch. For a show that has come under scrutiny on whether it is truly 'Trek' or not, IMO Tilly is the most 'Trek' aspect there.

She's definitely not Discovery's Wesley either; she's not written as some 'chosen one' style super-genius as the prime definition of her person; she has some clear character flaws holding her back personally & professionally - but if anything those flaws of low confidence and inherent shyness are very relatable to me as a viewer than the more dramatically potent ones Lorca & Burnham exhibit.

So again, Tilly's great. :D

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    Tilly is STD's Wesley.

Ha. That did make me laugh, but I think slightly wrong. I think she's closer to the aforementioned Harry Kim of Voyager; someone green, with little experience and zero confidence.

Advertisement