Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Corks half back.line destroyed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

There have been a few could have and should have moments, with regards to Pat Ryan's tenure as Cork manager.

In Cork hurling though could haves and should haves mean jackshit.

We've only won one championship match under Pat Ryan and are facing yet another group stage exit for a second year in succession.

That just doesn't cut the mustard really. Blowing a seven point lead was a pretty epic bottle job by Cork.

Limerick will be coming down to Cork next week to put some manners on us. Are we going to stand up and put up some sort of fight, or are we going to let them walk all over us?

Credit to Hoggie and Harnedy they played well today i thought. Out of the more senior players i'd retain them, and look to blooding as much of the all Ireland winning u20's as possible next year.

I wouldn't trust Pat Ryan for this job. Great Cork GAA man he tries his best etc, the mans an even worse Cork hurling manager than John Meyler and Kieran Kingston at this stage though.

So i do think we should give the job to Ben O'Connor next year if he wants it. Those U20's are our future the likes of Conor Lehane and Damien Cahalane are not. We need changes in the goalkeeping department as well.

We've just been a bunch of walter the softies at senior level for the last decade and a bit. You'd hope that someone like Ben O'Connor could change all that.

Anyway it will be twenty years without a senior all Ireland next year, and we've only won four championship games out of six at this stage under Pat Ryan's very "tactically astute" management.

We're such an easy team to score against as well. I think that is more of a tactical issue, than it is a playing personnel one though.

I just don't think Pat Ryan is capable of turning it around and a change of manager is needed. I think we should possibly even consider candidates from outside the county at this stage.

Well done to Clare though. I wish them well in their efforts this year at stopping Limerick. The current form line of both teams would suggest that they are a better team than us right now.

We're on course to be the lowest ranked team in Munster at this stage! Pat Ryan dug his own grave as Cork manager at Walsh Park last Sunday imo.

Losing that game really put us on the backfoot, considering that we had the second best team in Munster in Clare and an all conquering Limerick team up next after it.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

We basically need Tipp to beat Waterford to give us some chance. Then beat Tipp and hope we sneak through on scoring average, unless we pull off a surprise against Limerick.

Where will Tipps heads be at after the beating Limerick gave them today though? Unless we drastically improve then things could get ugly against Limerick.

We gave them a game last year but we've gone backwards from that sort of form this year imo.

Pat Ryan is well into his second year as manager at this stage, and he still hasn't found a settled starting fifteen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We are not out of it yet. Permutations, scoring averages might come into it. We want Tip to beat Waterford (Clare and Limerick too) and beat Tip. Maybe even get something from the Limerick game too - you'd never know.

On to the game - just Drop Collins !!!!! He cost us between 1-04 and 1-05 today with his God Awful distribution.

If any other player was as poor as him they would ber taken off - but not the keeper - who Always costs us scores sure as night follows day. Of course, he won't be dropped, but he is such a liability.

Same old story of losing possession in the half forwars putting the defence under pressure. Defence did better tiday, out in front of their men alot.

Turning point was the goal missed when we were 6 or 7 points up - that would have been the clincher.

Oh, and the ref........ the mind boggles, it really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

100% ye are not out of it , for a start it was a much better game then last week in ennis which means limerick will have to step it up if they are to win in the paric

genuinely i joked last week on a clare hurling form that you never know james owens might screw our opposition for a change instead of us , and he did ,the second yellow on niall o'leary was a joke given the level of overall physicality in the game , he reffed a game in ennis in the league against kilkenny this year and left both sets of supporters highly confused through out the game , he gave tipperary a penalty a few years back and a black card for a foul that happened nearly 30 yards to the left of the goal

the level of fight is serious when cork get their tails up its maintaining it is the problem , either side of half time ye looked much the better side , at 7 points up ye look liked ye were coasting , some desperate passages of play fell into our hands after that , then in the last 5 or ten minutes the fight back took place led by hoggie , but he almost seemed to be on his own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He took O’Donnell out off the ball. Yellow all day long. It was pure stupidity. Cork had cleared the goal chance.

the game was on a knife edge , there were loads of tackles like that all day , if we are going to be that technical about it how many yellow cards could adam hogan got today , we are far too caught up in referee decisions when it goes wrong but today we played james owens at his own game

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Adam Hogan should have got the line today - must have had 5 or 6 noting fouls which should have seen him off

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Montys return

You could argue Owen's didn't have to send him off, but more importantly O Donoghue did not need to do it. There was no ball there or danger, Collins had it. It was stupidity and gave the ref a call to make.

I think blaming the ref shirks responsibility. He's the captain as well which makes it even more aggregious.

• Advertisement

who did you get to type the post for you …..google assist ? ….alexia?……..stevie wonder ? take off the glasses buddy !

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

Trying to be mr popular, it was a clear yellow card. I try not to comment on most of your posts because it's clear you've never hurled so I'll just revert to ignoring you again.

i am not trying to mr popular , i call it as i see it , dont worry i hurled too obviously not as good as yourself of course

remember last year when you stuck in me because i said the clare v cork game in cusack park was poor game with an exciting finish that made the standard look better then what it was ,

i think you were corrected by about 3 other posters on it , it took you only 5 minutes to be corrected tonight , in my opinion you haven't a notation in what you are talking about and more then me can see it so ignore away

You'd think putting 3 24 on the scoreboard would be enough to win the game.

We just concede way too many scores. I just get the impression that the players are just left to their own devices with regards to tactics and the gameplan etc.

You'd like to think we have it in us to give Limerick a game but a monumental improvement will be required.

Since that most recent strike we've had occasional flashes of promise nearly pulling an all Ireland out of the bag in 2013, winning Munster titles in 2014, 2017 and 2018 and getting to an all Ireland final in 2021.

Overall though there's been a lot of false dawn's and disappointment over the last fifteen or so years.

to be honest it the scoreline reflected the game its self and what was at stake , like the goal hoggie got at the end was criminal by clare roary hayes had his back to the ball as it went over his shoulder , bit it was one of the most off the cuff second halves you would ever see ,

i do feel though the subs made no impact whatsoever , coleman weakened the team , rob o flynn and luke meade made no impact either , robbie couldnt win any ball that was pucked down on top of him , and diarmuid ryan really came into the game once harnedy went off and actually set up the final clare goal

niall o leary was unlucky , but he probably was stupid given the man in charge of the game , i stand on what i say about adam hogan for once we got the rub of the green today

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭chrisd2019

There seemed to be no plan for puck out today, so many Clare scores originated from possession lost from Cork puckouts. Lost track of the number of long puckouts to the corner forwards that were turned over by Clare and converted into score for Clare.

Also there was no plan to slow down the game when well ahead.

Pat Ryan was an all Ireland winning manager at U20 level the same as Ben O'Connor.

I just thought the senior teams performances would be greatly improved under him by now. Instead we're going backwards! At least John Meyler and Kieran Kingston were able to navigate their way out of Munster!

Cork under Pat Ryan so far come across as a very brainless team to me. We have no hurling smarts whatsoever.

Ben O'Connor is a Cork hurling legend and all Ireland winning captain. I just think a senior team with him in charge would be a lot tougher and more organised etc.

In fairness his U20 teams will always die for the jersey. I just think that's the way to go and make 2025 the year we just go for broke with the younger players like in 1999 and 2013.

the short to medium puck outs were a disaster , but when changes were made in meade and o flynn everything went clares way , i expected much more from both today especially robbie , dalton was a huge loss going off too though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Cork2021

there definitely was a plan for puck outs, every team down to junior b level has a plan, it’s keepers distribution was god damn awful! Don’t mind your ref or sendings off, it was losing our own puck outs that lost it. Collins isn’t a top class keeper, his accuracy is terrible. When we went 7 points up, he directly gave Clare 1-3 within 5-7 minutes

the ben cunningham situation is ridiculous , he should have played at least 3 league games this year and be ready to start against waterford , not one word was spoken about either kyle hayes or ciaran mcfaul at the start of the championship so if the rumor that ryan didnt want on the panel because of a court case then its a joke

• Advertisement

The Ben Cunningham case has been dealt with by the courts. Limerick have a player who assaulted someone starting on their team! Pat Ryan has a duty to the people of Cork to select the strongest possible panel available. Michael Mullins the u20 captain last year should be on the panel as well.

I'm not expecting that it's a case of Ben O'Connor waving a magic wand and everything turning good overnight. As i said earlier we have no settled team, and Pat Ryan is two years into his tenure as manager now.

At the current moment in time with just the one championship win to his name, he's on course to be our worst manager since Charlie McCarthy in 1988 and Con Roche in 1989! In fairness though at least both Charlie and Con were great players for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Brainless, but especially brainless considering it was O'Donnell who is crafty out and acted like it was a head injury the way he went down. Clare have been doing that a bit and Ryan should have had the Cork players prepped, esp for the time wasting by Clare towards the end of the game. That Red plus equally brainless puck outs cost Cork the game. Still fair play to Clare they did what they had to do to win.

Wouldn't like to see Pat Ryan go… When Cork were flying today they were great. That said it will be another year or so for Cunningham and that other Barrs man Buckley to get into the senior squad. That's when Cork will have their chance.

Hopefully Cork will put it up to Limerick and Tipp in the next 2 games and we'll see how it pans out.

of course it has , but so what , bring the lad into the panel ye need him , he is a quality hurler , if ryan is holding him back its pure stupid for that reason

Exactly that's what i was getting at, the courts have dealt with the issue so management shouldn't be using that as an excuse to leave him out of the panel. Especially when we have lads in other counties doing worse! A Cork team with Ben Cunningham, Michael Mullins, Will Buckley and a few more will be a lot stronger next year. I just think Pat Ryan doesn't seem to be the man to get the best out of what we have in Cork.

any player that is good enough at 19 used to be 18 we throw them in straight away , adam hogan a perfect example , why are cork waiting for them lads to turn 22 or 23 ,it makes no sense

look back at the cork team that played clare in the league , 7 of them are gone off the panel and all young lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

Who's the Limerick played that assaulted somebody? If it's Kyle Hayes you have in mind he was found not guilty of assault and a retraction would be appropriate. Legal people can be sensitive about loose comments like that. If it's someone we're unaware of maybe you'd say who it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Seadin

How many years will Cork go before they bridge the gap from 2005? If they are good enough to reach an All Ireland final they still probably lose a final before they win it.

I would safely say they are 5 years away anyway. No where good enough presently and Ryan isn't the man. He can't read the game and make changes quick enough and still resorts to playing the older players who haven't been good enough . What does Damien Cahalane and Conor Lehane have to do to not make the team? Collins being major problem too and won't drop him. He can't find his own players he's colour blind. He is costing us points I'm every game.

No point hoping for a miracle against Limerick, they will beat us out the pairc and it's coming lads. Our season is over. Tipp could beat us as well and that would finish our season as the worst team in Munster outside of Kerry. Depressing times being a Cork GAA supporter. Always find a way to lose now.

It was a high profile court case. A lot of people of commented about it both here and elsewhere, but yes he was found not guilty of assault. He was found guilty on two counts of violent disorder instead and given a two year suspended sentence for it. Anyway have you anything Cork GAA related to say at all?

Things might change with Ben O'Connor as manager and some more u20's blooded, but i do worry that we wont see a senior all Ireland in either code this side of 2030. Clare, Kilkenny and possibly Galway are Limericks main challengers right now. Ourselves, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford and Dublin are tier two hurling counties at the moment imo. The footballers are showing great improvement under John Cleary so far though.

• Advertisement

There's still a few of the anti strike/pro Frank crowd around the place as well. Seanie McGrath was a great player for Cork, but he was a very vocal critic of the striking players during that most recent strike. He used to write articles for the Evening Echo. He did not come across to me, as being a particularly astute hurling man in them i have to say! He was a selector with the seniors under JBM as well, but he's now a selector with the minors under that other establishment man John Meyler!

To be fair to John though we did win a Munster title under him and he was very unlucky against Limerick in that 2018 all Ireland semi final as well.

I just don't see people like Seanie McGrath as being a part of the solution going forwards. People have spoken about Tomas Mulcahy being Cork manager over the years. I was never in favour of it, but he is an inspirational figure from our past who might be able to gee up and motivate the players.

Really though Ben O'Connor should be senior manager next year unless Pat Ryan pulls a rabbit or two out of the hat! I think Liam Sheedy expressed his interest in the Cork job once before as well on the Sunday Game. That wouldn't be a bad option if he genuinely still wants it. I honestly couldn't care less where the manager is from once Cork start winning again!

Advertisement