Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

Riskymove wrote: »

The final panel is based on interview (and anyother exercise they might use, if any - presentation etc)

Has anyone every done a presentation before. I wouldnt know where to start. So embarrassing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sister bliss

daithi84 wrote: »
    Has anyone every done a presentation before. I wouldnt know where to start. So embarrassing lol

I havent done it but a colleague of mine did one for the HEO competition and it was a presentation based on a competency i.e. team leadership and she had to speak about a situation where she lead a team on a project and how she managed the team. She didnt actually have to present a Powerpoint presentation on the day, she just did up 5 or 6 slides and just printed them off as handouts. Some people just got up and spoke without any aids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eefslol

I havent done it but a colleague of mine did one for the HEO competition and it was a presentation based on a competency i.e. team leadership and she had to speak about a situation where she lead a team on a project and how she managed the team. She didnt actually have to present a Powerpoint presentation on the day, she just did up 5 or 6 slides and just printed them off as handouts. Some people just got up and spoke without any aids.

For AO competition 2016, we just wrote notes and spoke from our chairs. Or at least I did! Wasn't like a presentation at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

Was there a question and answer round? That doesnt sound as daunting and i thought it would be.

daithi84 wrote: »
    Was there a question and answer round? That doesnt sound as daunting and i thought it would be.

Yes, as far as I know, they then asked questions about the particular competency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

eefslol wrote: »
    For AO competition 2016, we just wrote notes and spoke from our chairs. Or at least I did! Wasn't like a presentation at all!

How long are you given to prepare beforehand? I think I would find it daunting especially after hearing the 'presentations' of people around you

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

How long are you given to prepare beforehand? I think I would find it daunting especially after hearing the 'presentations' of people around you
    You don't hear anyone else's presentation. It's just you and two interviewers. There's a number of presentation boards, so there would be a few people presenting at the same time, but in different rooms.

75 minutes before your presentation, you're brought to a private room where you can work quietly and freely. You're given a briefing document explaining a topic and asking you to recommend a decision which needs to be made. You also get "submissions" from parties with an interest in the topic to help you weigh up your options and come up with a recommendation. You have an hour to go through this and come up with what you believe to be the appropriate course of action. There's no "right or wrong" action, both are legitimate. What the board want is for you to be able to defend your choice and explain your reasoning.

When you're called into the presentation room, you have fifteen minutes to give an oral presentation. This year, we were asked to briefly analyse both possible courses of action, then explain why you chose the course you took, and finally how to reconcile those who would be disappointed with the decision. The board then has fifteen minutes to ask you questions.

From the familiarisation document:
    Your performance in this exercise will be scored on:
    • Accurate analysis of the information provided
    • Quality of your ideas/thinking
    • Effectiveness of your communication

It's worth pointing out that, although this was in the last AO competition, there's no guarantee that it will definitely be the same this time.

Conqueror wrote: »
    You don't hear anyone else's presentation. It's just you and two interviewers. There's a number of presentation boards, so there would be a few people presenting at the same time, but in different rooms.

75 minutes before your presentation, you're brought to a private room where you can work quietly and freely. You're given a briefing document explaining a topic and asking you to recommend a decision which needs to be made. You also get "submissions" from parties with an interest in the topic to help you weigh up your options and come up with a recommendation. You have an hour to go through this and come up with what you believe to be the appropriate course of action. There's no "right or wrong" action, both are legitimate. What the board want is for you to be able to defend your choice and explain your reasoning.

When you're called into the presentation room, you have fifteen minutes to give an oral presentation. This year, we were asked to briefly analyse both possible courses of action, then explain why you chose the course you took, and finally how to reconcile those who would be disappointed with the decision. The board then has fifteen minutes to ask you questions.

It's worth pointing out that, although this was in the last AO competition, there's no guarantee that it will definitely be the same this time.

That sounds very difficult! I did the EO competition recently and we had to do something similar(make a decision on whether a case had ground for appeal) but we just had to write a letter backing up our decisions We also had submissions from other parties to consider. I found trying to decide whether the appeal should go ahead or not and finding the reasons to back it up extremely difficult, there was just so much information and you could of went either way with it! I passed it but didnt get a great mark in it so something like that again would make me nervous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Conqueror wrote: »

I had to do something similar when I went for an interview for Accenture (even though I was going for the Data Analytics role) and I found it very difficult and most of the options seemed very valid. Also, once you do pick one it's hard to justify your decision when they all have downfalls! I also found it difficult to tell how I was doing! The people who seemed to handle it well (we got to watch each other) had degrees (mostly masters) in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Just applied for the AO there. Nothing to lose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

I'm applying again this year - don't think I will get selected as last time, about 2 years ago I think my number around the 650 mark after the aptitude tests - but its worth a try.

I found a list of the competencies for AO online - Leadership Potential, Analysis and Decision Making, Delivery of Results, and Interpersonal and Communication Skills.

I'm a little worried about the 'Leadership Potential' competency...given this is marketed as a graduate role, not many recent graduates would have experience managing people.

I have a few years of work experience after my degree, but no real leadership experience, the only thing I could think of would be University projects where I took some initiative, but wasn't really leading anything, more organising.

Is anyone else a bit daunted by the competencies and how to relate them to the (relatively junior) experience I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CMR23

Does anyone know any specific information re: Garda vetting and clearance issues ? The issue of living abroad and needing police security clearance.

My situation is quite specific but I just want to know if one has a conviction while living in another country (for driving while intoxicated) will this disqualify work within the civil service?

In the US State it occurred it is not a criminal conviction but a traffic violation. Obviously Ireland has completely different laws and classification for such convictions.

It obviously need be declared and would be shown via FBI clearance paperwork that the applicant is to furnish.

I just want to know if it's worth applying and sitting exams if at the end of it because I have a US conviction, I would be ineligible for employment.

(I have dual citizenship)

Thanks in advance for anyone with any knowledge.. heartbroken to think my ridiculous poor decisions a decade ago would significantly hinder this career path for me, but unfortunately am leaning toward the belief this is indefinitely the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

CMReilly wrote: »
    Does anyone know any specific information re: Garda vetting and clearance issues ? The issue of living abroad and needing police security clearance.

My situation is quite specific but I just want to know if one has a conviction while living in another country (for driving while intoxicated) will this disqualify work within the civil service?

In the US State it occurred it is not a criminal conviction but a traffic violation. Obviously Ireland has completely different laws and classification for such convictions.

It obviously need be declared and would be shown via FBI clearance paperwork that the applicant is to furnish.

I just want to know if it's worth applying and sitting exams if at the end of it because I have a US conviction, I would be ineligible for employment.

(I have dual citizenship)

Thanks in advance for anyone with any knowledge.. heartbroken to think my ridiculous poor decisions a decade ago would significantly hinder this career path for me, but unfortunately am leaning toward the belief this is indefinitely the case.

The problem here is there's no way to know. I think with the US you need to get clearance from each individual State, and they have different rules on what background check documents show. Your conviction may not even show up. If it does show, it will be a decision for PAS and the Department as to whether they proceed or not. There's no rule that says "a past conviction will disqualify", but I think they reserve the right. Whether or not they are entitled to discriminate against you because of this, I don't know - it may be worth consulting a lawyer.

I would not like to think that you are forever excluded; but you may have to go through the process with the uncertainty hanging over you...

ETA - have a look at this:
    https://www.mhc.ie/latest/insights/spent-convictions-and-changes-to-vetting-importance-for-employers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ask PAS- I don't think any of us here can really say 'yay' or 'nay' to you.
    Personally- I think it should be treated as a traffic violation- as per the US state- and I don't see how or why it should disqualify you- however, who knows what PAS will decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Nymeria wrote: »
    I'm applying again this year - don't think I will get selected as last time, about 2 years ago I think my number around the 650 mark after the aptitude tests - but its worth a try.

I found a list of the competencies for AO online - Leadership Potential, Analysis and Decision Making, Delivery of Results, and Interpersonal and Communication Skills.

I'm a little worried about the 'Leadership Potential' competency...given this is marketed as a graduate role, not many recent graduates would have experience managing people.

I have a few years of work experience after my degree, but no real leadership experience, the only thing I could think of would be University projects where I took some initiative, but wasn't really leading anything, more organising.

Is anyone else a bit daunted by the competencies and how to relate them to the (relatively junior) experience I have?

Pretty much every graduate recruitment effort is motivated towards attracting future leaders to the business.

If you compare AO competencies to HEO and EO, you can see the subtle differences between leadership potential that's required at AO and the Team Leadership and People Management which are required at HEO and EO respectively.

Most AOs won't have staff reporting to them initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Can I just ask for assistance in filling out the application forum? I just want to do it right, as I've never applied for this before.
    Date obtained and Full Title of Degree(s)/ Qualification(s) held

So this is the date I got my final result?
    Subject(s) taken in final examination

So these were the two final exams I had, before I finished college?
    Full address at which you resided

Is this just the address where I lived during the week when I was at college? I stayed in a hostel..

Also, have I to list every qualification including fetec level 5 and 6? or just every Honours qualification I have?

Thanks.

job seeker wrote: »
    Can I just ask for assistance in filling out the application forum? I just want to do it right, as I've never applied for this before. So this is the date I got my final result?

Most people put the year down- as opposed to a specific date. If you want to be precise- knock yourself out- the month you graduate and the year- is more than sufficient. Aka- you can't claim your BSc. Hons- if you haven't formally graduated yet.
    So these were the two final exams I had, before I finished college?

They want to know what you majored in- and what your main subjects are- minor electives- they couldn't be arsed about. E.g. My Diploma in Cinematography and Photography- that I got as part of my BSc. in Computer Science- is not a major- though I did it in my final year of my original BSc.- and is not listed in the subjects for my main undergrad.
    Is this just the address where I lived during the week when I was at college? I stayed in a hostel..

All addresses you resided at while attending college- we bounce it against Pulse to check for any records associated with that address. If you predominantly lived in hostels- which is perfectly fine- but had a lot of other people living there too- its very possible that there might be lengthy records associated with the address- in which case, Garda clearance might take a bit longer than for someone who lived at a single address with a couple of housemates- and can account for themselves in a far cleaner and clearer fashion- for someone going through online records associated with the address- rather than the person...........
    Also, have I to list every qualification including fetec level 5 and 6? or just every Honours qualification I have?

Thanks.

I've 7 or 8 Level 6s- 2 level 8s and 3 level 9s- in all manner of things- including a diploma in floristry. If you really want to tell them all the little details- a lot of this could comfortably be added to the section on additional information in support of your candacy- most people probably have more than the 4-5 qualifications the form allows.

They want your main points- they don't need to know the name of your pets when you were a kid. Expand to your hearts content at interview- but keep it relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Most people put the year down- as opposed to a specific date. If you want to be precise- knock yourself out- the month you graduate and the year- is more than sufficient. Aka- you can't claim your BSc. Hons- if you haven't formally graduated yet.

Okay, I see what you mean. :)
    They want to know what you majored in- and what your main subjects are- minor electives- they couldn't be arsed about. E.g. My Diploma in Cinematography and Photography- that I got as part of my BSc. in Computer Science- is not a major- though I did it in my final year of my original BSc.- and is not listed in the subjects for my main undergrad.

Oh right. I just the Honours degree in culinary arts. So Ill just add that? Sorry just still a bit confused.
    All addresses you resided at while attending college- we bounce it against Pulse to check for any records associated with that address. If you predominantly lived in hostels- which is perfectly fine- but had a lot of other people living there too- its very possible that there might be lengthy records associated with the address- in which case, Garda clearance might take a bit longer than for someone who lived at a single address with a couple of housemates- and can account for themselves in a far cleaner and clearer fashion- for someone going through online records associated with the address- rather than the person...........

Oh I see what you're saying. It would have been two addresses I had one in first year and a different one from second to forth year.

I've 7 or 8 Level 6s- 2 level 8s and 3 level 9s- in all manner of things- including a diploma in floristry. If you really want to tell them all the little details- a lot of this could comfortably be added to the section on additional information in support of your candacy- most people probably have more than the 4-5 qualifications the form allows.

I have the level 8 honours degree and two level 6's. So I will leave out the level 6's?
    They want your main points- they don't need to know the name of your pets when you were a kid. Expand to your hearts content at interview- but keep it relevant.

Again, you mean that there is no need to include the level 6's? As they aren't graded 1.1, 1.2... ect. So I suppose the level 6's wouldn't be relevant?

Thanks for helping me out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I have noticed that the PDF application form does not contain 'Section B'.

Administrative Officer in the Civil Service

It moves straight from Section A to Section C.

I have written to PAS for clarification.

There are two outcomes:

o A typo

o An entire section is missing.

Isn't Section B normally about why you'd be a good fit?

I will revert back with their response. Attention to detail !! :)

EDIT: Confirmed by PAS. There is no Section B in this instance

There is no Section B in this instance.

Just need to fill out Sections A and C per PAS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Do I give examples of six competencies in appendix 1 when it asks about "skills areas" in section B?

Do I give examples of six competencies in appendix 1 when it asks about "skills areas" in section B?

For Administrative Officer in the Civil Service.....

The only place on the Application Form to showcase the six competencies was in the 'Supplementary Information' box of Section C. There is no Section B on the Civil Service form.

That's where you can shine and show how you meet the six competencies. I wrote a few paragraphs and addressed each of them. Put your best foot forward.

The application form for 'Graduates to Local Government' does have a Section B.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The application form for 'Graduates to Local Government' does have a Section B.

Well I was asking about the supplementary question section in graduate opportunities in local government application form.

Hopefully my examples for six competencies will be okay for that section. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks, As far as I know and I hope I am right on this but you get Part B (6 competencies section giving your examples) send to you if you are successful in stage 1 and called to stage 2 (interview & presentation stage). Section C is just a part for allowing you to input information in support of your application. Could someone in the know clarify this. Usually before you do stage 1 you send off the form with all sections included.

Well I was asking about the supplementary question section in graduate opportunities in local government application form.

Hopefully my examples for six competencies will be okay for that section. :o

For that Local Government position, there are six skills areas noted and four competencies listed (Appendix I).

I'd expect that you should display the competencies (Purpose & Change, Deliver Results, Personal Performance and Personal Effectiveness) as they refer to any/all of the six skills areas listed. You might only be interested in a few of the skills area, e.g. no interest in HR or Marketing.

Any good sites to practice for online tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I have a '3rd class' level 8 degree (yes those exist!), so I don't seem to meet the criteria, BUT I also have a first class level 8 HDip.

Do you think I can apply?

I just wish they hadn't used the word degree, and instead had said "... the applicant must have a LEVEL 8 QUALIFICATION - of any sort...."

vector wrote: »
    I have a '3rd class' level 8 degree (yes those exist!), so I don't seem to meet the criteria, BUT I also have a first class level 8 HDip.

Do you think I can apply?

I just wish they hadn't used the word degree, and instead had said "... the applicant must have a LEVEL 8 QUALIFICATION - of any sort...."

A HDip is classed as an honours degree on the National Framework of Qualifications- so you should be fine- if you have any doubts at all though- clarify it with PAS (though they'll just refer you back to the NFQ anyway).

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shopassistant

Hi all. I was wondering if someone could help me with a question I have about the assessment centre for this year's AO competition. Is the assessment centre basically just retaking the online tests but in a controlled environment? Is there an interview alongside the test taking or is that the next stage of the competition? TIA.

• Advertisement

Hi all. I was wondering if someone could help me with a question I have about the assessment centre for this year's AO competition. Is the assessment centre basically just retaking the online tests but in a controlled environment? Is there an interview alongside the test taking or is that the next stage of the competition? TIA.

Stage two is whats known as a verification round- you resit some or all of the tests administered in Stage 1- and if your score differs by a set amount (better or worse than 12.5%- or whatever level they decide to set)- you are ruled out- as there is an assumption that you cheated in the unsupervised test.

The test is comprised of a verbal, numeracy and a 'work skills' test. You have to pass the numeracy- and are scored on the verbal and work skills parts. There is no clarity on whether, or not, its negatively marked- you are however warned not to make any wild guesses- and to base your answers solely on the information provided- so I'd suggest exercising due care and diligence.

Advertisement