Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Guitar Johnny

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Anyone know roughly how many people apply for these positions each year? I placed around 1900 so very unlikely to hear back.

Did anyone also apply for the Graduate Opportunities in Local Government also? I just done one aptitude test, so my scores for will be identical for both tests.

yeah I did, wonder how they will proceed with that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    It was in reference to the competition overall. My personal order of merit didn't change. It was the competition cut-off that had the typo. It came to my PAS mailbox.

'we are calling up to 223 on order of merit not 123 as previously confirmed.'

Huh. Strange that I haven't got one. Does that still amount to 260 candidates? Maybe they can only send those mass mails out in batches of 500 or something, so we should all get it by COB today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Some Random Username

My cousin has a case study for the IGEES campaign next week and he's terrified. Says they expect an economics report/presentation written in like an hour or something. He's done presentations loads of times but the short turnaround is freaking him out.

Anyone know if there's much jobs on offer with IGEES? He thinks they are only based in Dublin across a few departments so there mightn't be much chance of getting picked if he messes up the presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KF.

I was wondering if anyone who did the tests and presentation last year can say what is was like? I’m particularly worried about the numerical test again since it was so difficult! What kind of stuff should I go over? Also, what are the presentation topics like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

KF. wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone who did the tests and presentation last year can say what is was like? I’m particularly worried about the numerical test again since it was so difficult! What kind of stuff should I go over? Also, what are the presentation topics like?

The test is the same again and once you did original yourself you’ll be grand. The re tests are just designed to confirm you did the original one. I didn’t do any practice for that.

Fornthe presentation you go into a room on your own and are given the topics and documents, then had 45 minutes to prepare. You are then put back in the waiting area then you go to another room where you present to 2 people and they then question you based on the side you took.

I found there was no right or wrong approach in relation to the presentation but was scored on how I was at being able to present the information provided.

Have knowledge of both sides of the argument so you can refer to the other side in your answers.

You can bring notes with you but I found it off putting so I stopped trying to check them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

CMReilly wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many they took last year for interview stage? Up to what number ? I know 260 first round .. but then is it up to 500 .. 1000 ? I thought they went quite high last year but I could be wrong
    People up to and including 553 were called in the 2016 campaign. The first 300 were called in batch 1, the next 253 in batch 2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

daithi84 wrote: »
    Passed all of them but have been placed like 1200. Last time i was 500, dont know how my score has gotten so bad.

It only takes a couple of marks on the Verbal and Job skills- to plummet through the rankings. There is not an awful lot to distinguish between candidates- and the computerised testing- is one hell of a blunt instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Is there any flexibility with where people start on the pay scale? Ie. If you’ve a lot of experience outside the PS etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

quad_red wrote: »
    Is there any flexibility with where people start on the pay scale? Ie. If you’ve a lot of experience outside the PS etc.

The rules are quite emphatic- no. Unless you are a pre-existing civil servant- you start at the bottom of the scale, without exception. If you want to argue a case- your home Department can request sanction for an exception from DPER- however, it would be unusual and unlikely to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sjka2013

Conqueror wrote: »
    People up to and including 553 were called in the 2016 campaign. The first 300 were called in batch 1, the next 253 in batch 2.

Sorry to keep asking but would that be people up to and including 553 in the order of merit were called? Or 553 people were called/

This is the first time I've seen the " 123 on the order of merit will be called which is around 260 people" so I'm a bit confused!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

sjka2013 wrote: »
    Sorry to keep asking but would that be people up to and including 553 in the order of merit were called? Or 553 people were called/

This is the first time I've seen the " 123 on the order of merit will be called which is around 260 people" so I'm a bit confused!

553 were called to next stage in 2 batches so people placed 1st-553rd sat the re test, interview and presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sjka2013

quad_red wrote: »

0 Chance of flexibility for an AO in an open competition I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coolio83

Hi, congrats to all on your results. I applied for the ao-local govt comp, but have not received any results re tests?? Can anyone give any insight into why this may be? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

coolio83 wrote: »
    Hi, congrats to all on your results. I applied for the ao-local govt comp, but have not received any results re tests?? Can anyone give any insight into why this may be? Thanks

The Local Government competition is leveraging off the Civil Service competition for the online aptitude tests only. Killing two birds with the one stone.

Beyond that point, they will have completely separate interview processes.

For what it's worth, I have been called for the assessment centre for the Civil Service AO competition in December.

However, like yourself, I have not received any PAS emails from the Local Government competition.

It is not an indication of pass or fail at this point. Don't worry. They are probably debating the 'cut-off mark' for their own competition before they contact everyone in the coming days/weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

The Local Government competition is leveraging off the Civil Service competition for the online aptitude tests only. Killing two birds with the one stone.

Beyond that point, they will have completely separate interview processes.

For what it's worth, I have been called for the assessment centre for the Civil Service AO competition in December.

However, like yourself, I have not received any PAS emails from the Local Government competition.

It is not an indication of pass or fail at this point. Don't worry. They are probably debating the 'cut-off mark' for their own competition before they contact everyone in the coming days/weeks.

I contacted LGrecruitment on this point - they replied with "We hope to issue results for the above competition early next week."

Hi,

I would expect that the dress code for the interview and presentations in business formal. Would that be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

Hi All, for anyone attending the assessment centre stage, have you gotten an acknowledgement from public jobs when you emailed to confirm attendance? I haven't.

Hi All, for anyone attending the assessment centre stage, have you gotten an acknowledgement from public jobs when you emailed to confirm attendance? I haven't.

I didn't get an acknowledgement either. I checked the email address a dozen times to make sure :)

I'm sure it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

I didn't get an acknowledgement either. I checked the email address a dozen times to make sure :)

I'm sure it's fine

Thanks - that's good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Well I didn't read the end of the bloody message saying you had to respond to them. So I got a call asking me was I coming or not.

So don't worry - if they didn't get your reply they'd be following up with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

I had the same query, also has anyone received familiarisation material for stage 2?

I had the same query, also has anyone received familiarisation material for stage 2?

Not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

I just received a message regarding the Grad Opportunities in Local Government. I passed the 3 assessments and have been placed at number 762 on the order of merit.

They are calling up to and including number 376 on the order of merit for the next stage on 2nd and 9th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Waffleturd

Passed all three in the local government stream and placed in the 60s. Relieved to have not failed the numerical!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Australia33

Scored in 600's... will there be a second batch called?!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

There must have been less competition for - The graduate opportunities in local government. Just made the cut today and scraped in under 376.

Then for the graduate opportunities in the civil Service, same tests, I scored about 1000 in order of merit when results were released last week.

Will see what happens next, there is obviously more applicants for the civil service.
    TBH I’m not 100% of the difference in the civil service opportunities and the grad opportunities in local government? Happy to listen to any explanation?? Having all replies in one forum has probably confused me more.
    Thanks

Scored in 600's... will there be a second batch called?!

Many of the first batch would have also scored high in the other campaign and so there could be a few drop outs.

If there is a second batch of 376 called, I will have just missed that by a few places. Not looking good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 baba87

I placed within the numbers being called for the local government. Haven't given much consideration to it since I applied, does anyone have a copy of the original booklet for the local government jobs?

Or can anyone outline the main differences between the AO positions in the civil service as opposed to the local government? If I remember correctly the local government was a three year fixed term contract?

baba87 wrote: »
    I placed within the numbers being called for the local government. Haven't given much consideration to it since I applied, does anyone have a copy of the original booklet for the local government jobs?

Or can anyone outline the main differences between the AO positions in the civil service as opposed to the local government? If I remember correctly the local government was a three year fixed term contract?

Yes, I have it. How can I send it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Yes, I have it. How can I send it?

Sent a PM there, would be great if I could get a copy!

Advertisement