Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ya il wait a few days and im sure something better will surface, I don't have a season ticket

Still holding on for better tickets. Some upper Cusack have surfaced which wouldnt be too bad I guess. Its surprising cause there seems to be not a huge demand locally for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

You'd imagine Derry will be brining a fairly big crowd.

Those upper cusack tickets would be good in 705/706. I've been up there a few times over the years.

At this stage, you're relying on clubs giving back tickets but could be Friday or even Saturday before they go up. If they do at all

Ya you're right, I got 2 tickets right at the front of 705 so that'll do just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Jesus very quite tread morning of a semi final what's going on, I am hoping Kerry can perform well today and express themselves and show off there skills and take on shots from outside the D, thats the only way to defeat this system that Derry play. Don't think Dublin are any great shakes, Mcaffery and killkenny weren't great yesterday haven't had much game time, I am hoping we can win today and beat an old Dublin team and send some of them out to grass,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Piskin

Tough game that we needed, showed character today despite our forwards misfiring too much. Our keeper & backs showed great composure while under pressure. Midfield had a tough game but came good in the end. S O She again missing for most of the game, D Moynihan is a weak link as is P Geaney. T Brosnan has talent to burn but his end product is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I would agree with all that- the other forwards were cat today

O Brien in for Moynihan in 2 weeks? He was unreal when he came on today.

That was a lot closer than I'd like but winning a dogged game like that and finishing strong was great to see. Dublin will pose a very different problem but its great to be in the final again. Fingers crossed they can finish the job

unreal my blue arse, less crap maybe

3 vital blocks/interceptions which got us going back up the pitch, kicked a nice point with the left and gave us an out down the cusack side that we'd struggled to create

I'm not sure what more impact you want from a sub.

• Advertisement

He was fine, relative to some of the displays we saw he was prob a superstar but that’s more to do with some of why we saw that anything else.

There were lads there that didn’t look like intercounty footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

everything u said... and the introduction of stephen o'brien... some man to put defenders on the back foot.. dont think theres 70mins in him tho..

That's a fair point about o brien actually. And I think I'd rather him on to finish the game. But Dara had an absolute stinker today and looked very slow. But then the problem is, who do you put in ahead of him or just chalk it up to a bad day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

Killian Spillane going to be fit enough to play any part in the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That is quite harsh. Derry were great for most of the game and didn’t let them get going. We can’t expect free flowing football at this stage, you’re playing the best now and semi finals are about winning. Derry are a serious outfit and were very organised when they lost the ball. Kerry really struggled to get in to scoring positions when in possession which led to some mistakes and wayward shooting.

O’Brien did really well when he came in and should probably start in the final albeit Jack may want to keep him for that impact sub role again.

Overall that was a poor performance but they pulled through and overtook Derry in the end which is a sign of a good team IMO

Kerry very slight favourites for the final, I would expect another very tough game with a point or two in it at the end either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Thought Moynihan had a decent game actually. Made one fantastic run from half forward to stop a score on the his 13. Did a huge amount of tracking back.Ok he doesn’t contribute much going forward but that’s not his role. I would think Jack was reasonably happy with his performance. The game didn’t suit Killian Spillane and he was rightly hooked off. I think if Derry had set up more defensively it would have suited him better. Would still expect him to start the final as I think he’s a good match up on Brian Howard. O Brien will be kept as an impact sub most likely. Killian Spillane will probably make the 26.

Thought Foley had a very poor game. He got turned inside out several times by McGuigan. Con will have seen that and be looking to exploit that in the final.

Derry have us a massive test and it will stand to us. Another massive battle against Dublin but I am confident of a win. I don’t think Dublins defence can hold us. They will most likely play with a sweeper in front of Clifford so it will be interesting to see what Jack does tactically. I’m hoping Dublin put Fitzsimons on Clifford as he is a clean player.

Post edited by Forge83 on

Moynihan was constantly the weak link in the kick out press.

he didn’t know wish he was doing

That one fantastic run he made was after he got done further out the field, sauntered back with no rush before a last ditch burst to get back once he realised his man was on the end of the move. It ended up a fine block in fairness to him but it was his own fault he had to scramble to make it.

He was the weakest player for us today and I was shocked to see him return for the 2nd half.

And I say all that as a huge fan of his in general.

Just watched it on Sunday game and I completely disagree. I think he even had a better game now than I initially thought. Was involved in the goal, assisted 2 points and got back for several defensive tackles. I suggest you might do the same and you might change your mind. Not going to reply to Poor Old Gill who thinks we were playing a kick out press, clueless. We didn’t play a press until the last ten mins.

Fair enough. I'll be sitting down to watch it soon and take your word for it after you rewatched it. In game, it looked like he had a shocker so was basing my opinion on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the reason i have so many pops at foley is because he can be hit and miss , today again he was both , first half put in one or two super challenges but after that struggled until half time ,

he got so much in the face of Shane McGuigan in the second half that , the derry lad he nearly attacked jack o Connor over it at full time . you cant be both hot and cold against Cormac Costello ,

as for my friend tom o'sullivan , he nearly makes my POTY assessment look sane today with his man to man tackling and work rate,

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the goal by 'mush' was sensational if you look at the run he made after offloading the pass , he had a serious game in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Piskin

Hopefully K Spillane will be fully fit for the final as he is good to bring off the bench and score vital points. S O Brien as an impact sub. I think M Burns ahead of Moynihan. T Brosnan needs to drop his fancy dan act and knuckle down mentally, he is a liability when he tries the fancy stuff. S O Shea needs to come into the game more, maybe it's his lack of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I'm a Jackeen, I always thought Gooch was the most skillful forward I've ever seen and I'm old enough to remember how great Pat Spillane was. Now you have Clifford, it's like comparing Maradona with Messi, unstoppable (within the rules). I can't wait for the final, we were close last year in the semi, without Con, Jack Mac, Mannion and Cluxton. May the best team win and hopefully they're wearing blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Did David clifford score a point off his right foot early in the second half? I was at the game and I was sure he did but now I think it might have been O shea that scored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

o'shea... clifford got one off his right in the 1st half after calling a mark...

was i seeing things on tv or was Paul Geaney questioning the decision to sub him off?? had his hands out wondering why him in he coming to the sideline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Thats mad, I was sure it was clifford, great score from O Shea so, my favorite score from the game yesterday. class player.

didnt see that with Geaney.

Yes he did. He started well and was involved in some good scores but then ended up as a defensive tracker for most of the game. Personally would prefer to start another tracker so that O Se can stay forward more. I’d start O Brien ahead of him as he can track and score. Paul Murphy also is a tough one, shows for kick outs fantastically but caught out defensively a lot yesterday. If O Beaglaoich is anywhere near his best I would be making that switch also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My favorite Radio Kerry show Terrace Talk is the keeper of all things traditional when it comes to football.

Week in week out it's auld fellas complaining about the modern game.

Most of the complaining includes a healthy does of dislike for northern teams at the way they go about their business, swarm defense, blanket defense, possession football etc

The latest of these has been the tendency of keepers coming up the field and playing like a half forward or whatever.

There is no end to the giving out about it on Terrace Talk.

But for some reason I'm going to guess tonight they will be fine with Shane Ryan coming up the field and scoring a brilliant point yesterday.

• Advertisement

Sean O Se is extremely flat footed. For years I’ve said he needs some time in off season with a sprints coach to adjust him technically. Wouldn’t be difficult to make some effective changes in a short period of time. Would agree about Brosnan, Burns no though. He’s a great impact sub but that’s it.

Advertisement