Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Comments

/\/ollog wrote: »
    https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf

Are these worth thinking about as a first investment?
    Or is "commission free" not a big deal ?

Lots of us use Degiro.

Very low fees (some others may be lower still).
    Nice user interface.

Cons, negative interest (0.5% for now) on cash balances.
    Can only input a bid/ask 25% from current prices.
    You cannot price as well as other platforms. Say you put an ask for 1,000 shares at $1.00, someone with a bid of $1.0001 will fill first.

Also, it's been very volatile at key times lately not allowing access which has invariably cost or saved me money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Lots of us use Degiro.

Very low fees (some others may be lower still).
    Nice user interface.

Cons, negative interest (0.5% for now) on cash balances.
    Can only input a bid/ask 25% from current prices.
    You cannot price as well as other platforms. Say you put an ask for 1,000 shares at $1.00, someone with a bid of $1.0001 will fill first.

Also, it's been very volatile at key times lately not allowing access which has invariably cost or saved me money :pac:

I meant more like any of the ones on the list in the pdf versus for example any s&p500 not on the list.
    Are commission fees a big deal or not that bad ?
    Kind of moot looking at the ones on the list, they seem not-great performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I meant more like any of the ones on the list in the pdf versus for example any s&p500 not on the list.
    Are commission fees a big deal or not that bad ?
    Kind of moot looking at the ones on the list, they seem not-great performers.

Is this your first time investing?

Is this your first time investing?

Yes.

Yes.

Have you done all your research? Do you have a strategy and know what your risk tolerance is?

• Advertisement

Have you done all your research? Do you have a strategy and know what your risk tolerance is?

I think maybe. I'm not looking to buy google or anything, just put away a small amount into an ETF for a decade.

I think maybe. I'm not looking to buy google or anything, just put away a small amount into an ETF for a decade.

Do you know about the 41% tax every 8 years?

Yes, i expected a tax like everything else in Ireland, like dirt on savings, leo and Micheál always get their cut.

Yes, i expected a tax like everything else in Ireland, like dirt on savings, leo and Micheál always get their cut.

What etf you looking at?

What etf you looking at?

LU1681048804 and IE00B6YX5C33
    The first is nice because it's accumulated, and it's on the commission free list I posted above, also it's a small ask to get started on for me.
    The second is a recommendation from elsewhere on the forum.

• Advertisement

Got a generic apology email from Degiro saying they are growing exponentially and hope to not have such experiences going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I cannot find a share on Degiro, is there some way of requesting them to add it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭Shedite27

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I cannot find a share on Degiro, is there some way of requesting them to add it?

Email them the details including the UIN

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dobss77

Can someone please tell me How to place a limit order? Lets say for example a stock prices is moving up down, down up very fast e.g. 25.2345 to 25.2435 to 24.9874 etc etc, What do I enter into the limit section? I am willing to pay €26 for this share so should I enter €26? what if it never gets to €26.

Also, another question, is it possible to set up a standing order from AIB to my DeGiro account? So far I have to transfer funds manually using that bloody AIB Card reader, what a pain.
    Thanks in advance3

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

dobss77 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me How to place a limit order? Lets say for example a stock prices is moving up down, down up very fast e.g. 25.2345 to 25.2435 to 24.9874 etc etc, What do I enter into the limit section? I am willing to pay €26 for this share so should I enter €26? what if it never gets to €26.

Also, another question, is it possible to set up a standing order from AIB to my DeGiro account? So far I have to transfer funds manually using that bloody AIB Card reader, what a pain.
    Thanks in advance3

This might help
    https://youtu.be/1-hCAEAovZ4

Thanks in advance3
    Not sure what you're missing in this, hit the "B" next to the share name, the dropdown defaults to Limit. Enter 26 in the amount box and the quantity of shares in the Number box. If you put in an amount higher than the current price ($26) it will be bought instantly for you. If you put in a number lower than that ($24), it will wait until the share price drops below $24

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭eggerb

The tax One More Toy is alluding to on ETFs is probably a bit more complex than DIRT which is paid as you earn. For example, many ETFs are deemed, by Revenue, disposed of after 7 years even though you may not have disposed of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

This is moreso a cgt question, but I'm using degiro. If I've bought shares in a company across several transactions, all at different prices, and then sell a proportion of them for a profit, I assume I can decide myself which of the original shares I bought that I use to calculate the cgt on? Also I assume the fees paid are included in the calculation of the cgt? Any of yous who are self employed with an accountant, do yous do yourown spreadsheet of your degiro transactions? I've done most mine out here, all I did was export the full degiro transactions excel file for the year and subtract the total sales from the total purchases of each share for the cgt, there is nothing really more to it than that I assume?

Timmaay wrote: »
    This is moreso a cgt question, but I'm using degiro. If I've bought shares in a company across several transactions, all at different prices, and then sell a proportion of them for a profit, I assume I can decide myself which of the original shares I bought that I use to calculate the cgt on? Also I assume the fees paid are included in the calculation of the cgt? Any of yous who are self employed with an accountant, do yous do yourown spreadsheet of your degiro transactions? I've done most mine out here, all I did was export the full degiro transactions excel file for the year and subtract the total sales from the total purchases of each share for the cgt, there is nothing really more to it than that I assume?

It's first in first out

Can someone explain whats going on here? I dont remember buy two different types of stock from the same company. What do both of them saybi have 120 shares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Can someone explain whats going on here? I dont remember buy two different types of stock from the same company. What do both of them saybi have 120 shares

IAG (106.75) is an Ordinary Share that is part of the FTSE100 - it is a CDI which is a CREST Depository Interest (CDI) i.e. a UK security representing a stock traded on an exchange outside the UK.

IAGN (28.91) is a New Ordinary Share (Sub Rights - where existing shareholders subscribe to newly issued shares in proportion to their existing holdings).

Hibrasil wrote: »
    IAG (106.75) is an Ordinary Share that is part of the FTSE100 - it is a CDI which is a CREST Depository Interest (CDI) i.e. a UK security representing a stock traded on an exchange outside the UK.

IAGN (28.91) is a New Ordinary Share (Sub Rights - where existing shareholders subscribe to newly issued shares in proportion to their existing holdings).

OK, now im even more confused. Thanks Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

IAG shares are traded on the Spanish Stock Exchanges of Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia, through the Spanish Stock Exchanges Interconnection System (Mercado Continuo Español), and the London Stock Exchange’s main market for listed securities.

Shareholders holding via the Madrid Stock Exchange receive shares and shareholders holding via the London Stock Exchange receive CDIs (CREST Depositary Receipts).

IAG also has an ADR programme in the United States that trades in the OTC market, administered by Deutsche Bank.

The US ADR is a security issued to simplify foreign investments - it is issued by an American bank or broker and it represents one or more shares of foreign-company stock held by that bank in the home stock market of the foreign company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Looking at my portfolio, when I export it to PDF, my cash balance disappears, this started on the 21st of August, has this happened everyone else? Something to do with the new bank account?

Annoying cause I like to keep track of my portfolio value in excel and this is having an affect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I see Degiro have now added Daily +/- percentage. A promising step closer to the actual useful value of Total +/-%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Is the nse now live instead of 15mins delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Was looking to buy 1 share of 4 low value US stocks (less than <$100) to get a feel for using Degiro - is this wise considering fees etc., and where is a good resource to find low value, high reward US stocks?

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Was looking to buy 1 share of 4 low value US stocks (less than <$100) to get a feel for using Degiro - is this wise considering fees etc., and where is a good resource to find low value, high reward US stocks?

It will be relatively expensive, bearing in mind buying shares is very low in comparison to legacy brokers.

Where to find that resource, not sure, but if you find it let us know ;) But, the general rule applies if it's easy to find info it's already priced in.

This forum is a good resource, some of the others will include a fair amount of shills - so keep your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Fees for US shares are rather low (€ 0.50 + USD 0.004 per share), so I guess it is OK even for 100 USD with of shares if you believe the share with do well (the pricing per share can hit you if you go for penny stocks though). But of course the more you buy, the lower the fixed fee is in proportion to your transaction.

• Advertisement

Make a list of the apps on the home screen of your iPhone, then see which of those are within your price range. Thinks like Twitter, Pintrest, are sub $100. Apple's just above it. Likely to be a red day today so I reckon you'll pick most up for 5% cheaper than yesterday

Advertisement