Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Make a list of the apps on the home screen of your iPhone, then see which of those are within your price range. Thinks like Twitter, Pintrest, are sub $100. Apple's just above it. Likely to be a red day today so I reckon you'll pick most up for 5% cheaper than yesterday

As it's such a small sum, was hoping to try some riskier stocks like Zoom, BeyondMeat, Regeneron (what I can think of) but all are above my price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Earnshaw wrote: »
    As it's such a small sum, was hoping to try some riskier stocks like Zoom, BeyondMeat, Regeneron (what I can think of) but all are above my price range.

If it's riskier you're looking for one I currently hold is APPS ($40) It sells the right to have apps pre-installed on phones. RDFN is one that I've plugged on here two months ago, up 40% since then.

And then from my watchlist:
    NVTA - $50 - Uses DNA to test for diseases and predict future diseases.
    SAIL - $45 - Identity Management, system to verify the identity of people (that they are who they are)
    ASAN - $23 - Project Management tool created by the other lad that started Facebook. Only IPO'd last month so still trying to find its feet.

There's a Share Picks thread too with lots of good info

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

If it's riskier you're looking for one I currently hold is APPS ($40) It sells the right to have apps pre-installed on phones. RDFN is one that I've plugged on here two months ago, up 40% since then.

Need to get through an appropriateness test before I can buy that one...

Need to get through an appropriateness test before I can buy that one...

You'll probably have to do that for most on Degiro I think. They brought that in about 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

You can buy fractional shares on Trading 212.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I got in on APPS around 23 and sold at just over 40 the other day expecting a pullback. I won't lie I don't know a huge amount about the company, but will roughly aim to buy back in if it drops back to low/mid 30s. Q3 earnings Oct 29th, loose aim could be to buy any pullback before then, and be ready to hit the sell button on that day or just beforehand if it pumps pre earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Sorry for the noob question as I am a complete beginner. Had a few euros in shares with this company as a family member works for them in Ireland. They have recently filed for bankruptcy in the States. :o I got this from degiro:

"We would like to inform you that the below product will become untradeable in your portfolio after Friday 23rd of October 2020. This is due to the product being delisted from the NYSE and its movement to the US OTC (Over The Counter) markets.

Please note you may not be able to sell this position after the aformentioned deadline as it will become untradeable on your portfolio.

Name: MALLINCKRODT PLC
    ISIN: IE00BBGT3753
    Exchange: US OTC

You can do the following:

Sell your position before the close of markets on 23/10/2020.
    Do nothing (default option). "

So do I still own the shares I have purchased? If the company recovers and share price increase do i have any access to these shares or should I just sell them off and get back pretty much nothing. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I have some IAG shares and bought what I thought were rights to purchase more last month. Now I see two IAG stocks in my portfolio one with a near zero value and a symbol of IAG.D is this the rights or the actual shares?

So do I still own the shares I have purchased? If the company recovers and share price increase do i have any access to these shares or should I just sell them off and get back pretty much nothing. Any advice appreciated.

IF they recover you can ask Degiro to relist them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Hi All, I'm looking to invest a small amount in some ETF's on DeGiro. Specifically interested in a S&P 500, Global Grade Bond index and maybe some exposure to a commodities index too.

Just looking to read up on the tax implications of investing as I seen it got discussed a few times here. What's the best site to read up on this?

• Advertisement

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Hi All, I'm looking to invest a small amount in some ETF's on DeGiro. Specifically interested in a S&P 500, Global Grade Bond index and maybe some exposure to a commodities index too.

Just looking to read up on the tax implications of investing as I seen it got discussed a few times here. What's the best site to read up on this?
    This is a good place to start...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/don-t-invest-in-an-etf-until-you-understand-the-tax-1.3421331

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

That's for that. Just so my understanding is correct - for an Irish domiciled eft there is a 41% tax on both dividends and capital gains when you exit the fund. However there is a capital gain tax free allowance of €1270. Also, after 8 years the capital gains tax will automatically be charged even if you don't exit the fund.

Will I be right in saying we will have to file our on tax returns on revenue.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

GiftofGab wrote: »
    That's for that. Just so my understanding is correct - for an Irish domiciled eft there is a 41% tax on both dividends and capital gains when you exit the fund. However there is a capital gain tax free allowance of €1270. Also, after 8 years the capital gains tax will automatically be charged even if you don't exit the fund.

Will I be right in saying we will have to file our on tax returns on revenue.ie?

I don’t think the €1270 exemption applies, as it is not technically CGT which you are paying on ETFs but exit tax. Also the fact that it is not technically CGT means that you can’t offset potential losses made on an ETFs against gains made on other ETFs or investments (with regular shares you can offset losses on one investment against gains on other investments).

And yes, you will need to file tax returns to declare dividends as well as any capital gain 8 eights after each individual ETF share had been purchased (it can turn messy if you are buying a few shares each month: 8 years after you started investing you’ll have capital gains which need to be reported every single month as a new batch of shares is reaching its 8th anniversary).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Think it's easier to understand if you separate the two out, on one hand you have CGT (33%, offset losses, €1270 tax credit) which is for shares and investment trusts, on the other hand you have exit tax (41% on disposal or every 8 years, no offsetting) which is for ETFs and funds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

RedRochey wrote: »
    Think it's easier to understand if you separate the two out, on one hand you have CGT (33%, offset losses, €1270 tax credit) which is for shares and investment trusts, on the other hand you have exit tax (41% on disposal or every 8 years, no offsetting) which is for ETFs and funds
    But not US ETFs, bought before the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Taylor365 wrote: »
    But not US ETFs, bought before the ban.

True, but I guess a new investor who can’t gain access to them doesn’t really need to look into this subtlety ... taxation of ETFs is already confusing enough for a newcomer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Finally getting around to submitting my 2019 CGT1 tax form, yes I know I'm cutting it fine!

Am I understanding "Aggregate Consideration" on it as meaning the total sum of all buying and selling transactions?

So for example, in Degiro, go to transactions, select January to December 2019 and export to a file and convert to positive values and total up seems most straightforward if that's the right approach? Or sum all up inclusive of the negatives (sales) to give an overall "aggregate" amount?

Bit confused here, any advise?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Supercell wrote: »
    Finally getting around to submitting my 2019 CGT1 tax form, yes I know I'm cutting it fine!

Am I understanding "Aggregate Consideration" on it as meaning the total sum of all buying and selling transactions?

So for example, in Degiro, go to transactions, select January to December 2019 and export to a file and convert to positive values and total up seems most straightforward if that's the right approach? Or sum all up inclusive of the negatives (sales) to give an overall "aggregate" amount?

Bit confused here, any advise?

So reading around it would see that this is the cumulative sum of share sales in the period, so i just added all the negative numbers in the Degiro report and submitted that. All shares were standard same class shares i believe so hopefully this is correct.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Nice email today about non supported products being taken off the site, and your positions in these will be closed by December 1st.

List is here: https://www.degiro.com/data/pdf/english/closed-us-products.pdf

Of my 4 US ETFs bought back in 2017, only 1 is on the list. Strange criteria, as it is a Global X etf (SNSR), while the other is fine (BOTZ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Nice email today about non supported products being taken off the site, and your positions in these will be closed by December 1st.

List is here: https://www.degiro.com/data/pdf/english/closed-us-products.pdf

Of my 4 US ETFs bought back in 2017, only 1 is on the list. Strange criteria, as it is a Global X etf (SNSR), while the other is fine (BOTZ).

Thanks for this, voo & bnd not on the list so I'm safe

What's the idea behind this anyway?

• Advertisement

Thanks for this, voo & bnd not on the list so I'm safe

What's the idea behind this anyway?
    I have voo too. They mention costs, but who really knows:

DEGIRO has already ended the possibility of buying these US products but allowed you to hold existing positions. Due to the operations necessary to maintain the custody and correct processing of these products, unfortunately, this will no longer be possible.

Please be aware that if you do not close or transfer your position(s) in the relevant products before the aforementioned deadline, we will close the position(s) on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

Just realised that the total profit or loss figure on degiro seems to be wrong.

When I add up my deposits - withdrawals and take that away from the balance shown on my degiro account I appear to have nearly twice the profit than the Total +/- suggests

Is this the same for other people?

Also degiro seems to be hanging today, yet again when markets are very volatile. NOT GOOD

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Very disappointed with DeGiro today. I put in a sell order and the app froze. Eventually, I noticed that my number of shares had reduced, but no confirmation of sale.

Trading212 was slow executing orders, but did work. At times like this we need a stable platform and DeGiro is not that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

jams100 wrote: »
    Just realised that the total profit or loss figure on degiro seems to be wrong.

When I add up my deposits - withdrawals and take that away from the balance shown on my degiro account I appear to have nearly twice the profit than the Total +/- suggests

Is this the same for other people?

Also degiro seems to be hanging today, yet again when markets are very volatile. NOT GOOD

Degiro working but I can't even open my trading212 account lol.

Just checked the sums on my own degiro and bank account, my bank lodgments plus the total± do add up to the balance. However somehow my portfolio is worth like 5200e more (which is the minus 5200) than the overall balance, and I also have like 4k cash to trade also. I've been confused ever since they brought in the flatex bank account 2bh.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

Timmaay wrote: »
    Degiro working but I can't even open my trading212 account lol.

Just checked the sums on my own degiro and bank account, my bank lodgments plus the total± do add up to the balance. However somehow my portfolio is worth like 5200e more (which is the minus 5200) than the overall balance, and I also have like 4k cash to trade also. I've been confused ever since they brought in the flatex bank account 2bh.

Maybe I phrased that question badly.

So lets say I'm looking at the total +/- in Degiro and it shows me €1,000.

But, when I calculate my deposits - withdrawals + my current (unrealised) gains I'm calculating that I'm up €2,000 (These are example numbers for illustration).

What am I missing, is Degiros calculation off for some reason or am I missing something here?

Anyone else having trouble with trades completing on Degiro? I've paid for live BME but my bid for IAG isn't completing. Is this just another Degiorism?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Daddy Ireland

I set up a transfer to my account last Thursday morning. I have emailed them and just receiving an automatic reply which states due to high volume of new accounts allow 2 to 4 working days for monies to show up on account. 5 working days have now passed and no sign of it. Anyone else experiencing delays of 5 days or more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Since change to Flatex, I have had the same issues transfers taking 3-4 days to credit into my account, previously it used be few hours from AIB account. And got the same answer when I queried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Daddy Ireland

Hope they did'nt change their Euro bank details with the Flatex platform. Its over a year since I transferred money so hope same details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Hope they did'nt change their Euro bank details with the Flatex platform. Its over a year since I transferred money so hope same details.

They did change Bank details, log into your Degiro account and when you go to Deposit/Withdraw tab, you'll see new Bank details.

Advertisement