Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Daddy Ireland

Went into the Degiro Euro bank details and they match the payee details in my bank thankfully.

alfa beta wrote: »
    But this morning even though the shares have jumped, Degiro is just showing Friday's graph (and Friday's closing price) and there's no option to buy or sell - it all looks very dead - It just seems to be Cineworld that's dead - every other share I've checked is alive and kicking.

What price did they fall to before recovering? DeGiro will delist if they fall too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

What price did they fall to before recovering? DeGiro will delist if they fall too far.

Ignore my query - they've just come live on the site again - must have been a technical problem plain and simple - thanks for reply in any case :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Doug1000

can you move a portfolio from one platform to degiro?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Doug1000 wrote: »
    can you move a portfolio from one platform to degiro?

You can, but it costs. I moved some shares and it was cheaper to sell on the old platform, and rebuy on Degiro. I didn't have CGT to worry about though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

From a quick look I just see waffle.

ABOUT US
    We take a data driven and digitised approach to energy projects to ensure transparency and trust for our customers.

Our focus is to enable schools and businesses to reduce their energy consumption through “Energy as a Service”, which we do by funding and delivering energy efficiency upgrades in exchange for a monthly fee, funded by the energy savings. This requires no capital investment.

We are expanding into energy management services, so that we can provide our customers with a competitive switch to green energy and ongoing transparent management of their energy supply.

eEnergy intends to consolidate the energy services sector through strategic acquisitions and further investment in technology.

What have you found so compelling about a digitised approach?
    up over 50% in 4 months, still not too late to buy imo.
    I also think Record plc is undervalued

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Hi - using Degiro but find very limited with products. And getting products added can be v slow. Can anyone recommend a platform with low costs that cover all exchanges including china/canada please.

Hi - using Degiro but find very limited with products. And getting products added can be v slow. Can anyone recommend a platform with low costs that cover all exchanges including china/canada please.

I have Interactive Brokers for obscure stuff. Has a bigger range than Degiro and similar fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

When you sell shares, are the proceeds available immediately to purchase others, or is there a time delay or process to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

How do people calculate the gross dividend from US shares using degiro, it seems you can only see the dividends in dollars. Need to get the gross dividend amount in Euro so I can declare to revenue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

jams100 wrote: »
    How do people calculate the gross dividend from US shares using degiro, it seems you can only see the dividends in dollars. Need to get the gross dividend amount in Euro so I can declare to revenue

Should be in the annual report you get each year with totals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I apologies up front for this uneducated post.
    But this is why I am asking the question.

So I put in a Limit Sell Order (GTC)
    I had it at .98 cent, 1 cent above my BEP.
    it executed straight away @ 1.06.
    I thought that it should only execute if .98 was reached in the market.
    Can anyone help ?

6541 wrote: »
    I apologies up front for this uneducated post.
    But this is why I am asking the question.

So I put in a Limit Sell Order (GTC)
    I had it at .98 cent, 1 cent above my BEP.
    it executed straight away @ 1.06.
    I thought that it should only execute if .98 was reached in the market.
    Can anyone help ?
    It's a Stop Loss that you were looking for

Limit Sell is to sell at any price over the price you stipulate (.98), hence it executed immediately at 1.06

Stop Loss at .98 would have held until it hit .98c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Rookie mistake, I am only messing with penny stocks. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's a Stop Loss that you were looking for

Limit Sell is to sell at any price over the price you stipulate (.98), hence it executed immediately at 1.06

Stop Loss at .98 would have held until it hit .98c

Also bear in mind a stop loss doesn't mean you'll get the .98c you could end up with 96c or 95c etc.
    When you hit your stop price it then becomes a market order

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

jams100 wrote: »
    Also bear in mind a stop loss doesn't mean you'll get the .98c you could end up with 96c or 95c etc.
    When you hit your stop price it then becomes a market order

And dealing with a discount broker also means you may not get the best price in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And dealing with a discount broker also means you may not get the best price in any case.

Have you reason to suspect that they are not giving best prices, Jim?

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    Have you reason to suspect that they are not giving best prices, Jim?

Do a bit of research on how discount brokers make their money, I think there should be enough information out there now on how security lending and transaction direction commissions work.

Do a bit of research on how discount brokers make their money, I think there should be enough information out there now on how security lending and transaction direction commissions work.

Jim, you've posted this stuff a few times that modern brokers don't get the same prices but have never explained it further than "do your own research". Anything I've seen on discount brokers (TD Ameritrade, Degiro, Schwab, E*trade), basically says it comes down to volume. In the past lower trading volume, meant they had to charge €20 a pop to stay in business. Now with retail investors buying shares every day, they can make the same revenue charging 50c a trade. So can you please let us know what you mean or stop your tin-hat scaremongering
    Jim, can I ask who you use? You seem very anti any of the modern low-cost brokers. I’ve seen you warning people off them as you claim
    - not getting beat price
    - don’t really own shares
    - investment not guaranteed if brokerage goes bust

Do you pay a premium to try to avoid these pitfalls you claim exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Jim, you've posted this stuff a few times that modern brokers don't get the same prices but have never explained it further than "do your own research". Anything I've seen on discount brokers (TD Ameritrade, Degiro, Schwab, E*trade), basically says it comes down to volume. In the past lower trading volume, meant they had to charge €20 a pop to stay in business. Now with retail investors buying shares every day, they can make the same revenue charging 50c a trade. So can you please let us know what you mean or stop your tin-hat scaremongering

On thing Robinhood also does to generate income is that they are selling their real time order flow to hedge funds and financial institutions (not sure whether it applies to European discount brokers).

As far as I understand hedge funds are using the order flow to build are real time predictive model of where the market is going and try to front-run other operators.

But anyway, yes you are asking a very fair question.

• Advertisement

It's your money, could not be bothered to do the research that is your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Nobody is asking you difficult questions. To save us the bother of extensive research you could maybe just explain what you mean a bit better.

Nobody is asking you difficult questions. To save us the bother of extensive research you could maybe just explain what you mean a bit better.

If you are so disinterested in managing your money, that you don't think it's worth a bit of googling and reading up, that is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

If you are so disinterested in managing your money, that you don't think it's worth a bit of googling and reading up, that is up to you.

I'm a long time lurker in this forum, I finally felt the need to comment because it got on my tits that you drop in now and again with your one liners of all-seeing-all-knowing-wisdom and can't be arsed explaining yourself further or sharing your supposed genius.

Why do you even bother? Anyway, take a bite of your Swiss chocolate and sit back on your pile of cash. :cool:

Well when I do research it, it tells me that what you're continuing to post is wrong, I understand you've a lot more experience than me, so was wondering if there's something you know that we (or Bloomberg links below) don't.

I'll take that as a no then.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-10/brokers-profit-from-you-even-if-they-don-t-charge-for-trading

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2019/6/26/how-brokerages-make-money/

Jim,

I personally find it very odd, and most unhelpful, that you would imply that DeGiro aren't giving best prices, but then refuse to clarify / confirm.

Surely, you either know that they do not give best prices, so can elaborate on your original comment, or you don't know, and you then need to be fair to them, by persuming they do give best prices, until its proven otherwise - so which is it please ?

Thanks,

G.

.... I understand you've a lot more experience than me...

Mind me asking how you know of Jim's background experience please?

Do Moderators post summary of their CVs somewhere on Boards, perhaps? On a general basis, I would love to know that qualifies someone to be a Moderator here, or a recognised expert on a particular topic.

Thanks

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

The only thing that concerns me is the Basic vs Custody accounts Degiro offers.

Which is best for you, is usually the one that costs more.

garrettod wrote: »
    Mind me asking how you know of Jim's background experience please?

Do Moderators post summary of their CVs somewhere on Boards, perhaps? On a general basis, I would love to know that qualifies someone to be a Moderator here, or a recognised expert on a particular topic.

Thanks
    No, nothing like that, just going off what I know of Jim and his experience from his posts, he's clearly well educated on the topics. Jim's been posting on the Investments forum 8 years longer than I've been interested in the markets, so he's clearly seen a lot more than a johnny-come-lately like myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

No, nothing like that, just going off what I know of Jim and his experience from his posts, he's clearly well educated on the topics. Jim's been posting on the Investments forum 8 years longer than I've been interested in the markets, so he's clearly seen a lot more than a johnny-come-lately like myself.

I think to some extent it's a case of the old guard struggling to come to terms with progress. Life doesn't stand still. Change can be challenging to someone who believes that the way things have been done forever and a day are the best and should not be challenged.

Advertisement